You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Drifter_X

French DD's. Just Go Russian Instead?

8 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
290 posts
9,504 battles

Hello, with the french nerfs being well past us, I was wondering what the consensus is on the french DDs and the Henry.

• I have found the St. Louise to be very useful in pub games, but it looks like the Henry has unforgivable acceleration.
  • I dont see the point in the french DD line since i can go down the Russian gun boat line and break even.

[KIA-A]
Members
911 posts
5,323 battles
39 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

Hello, with the french nerfs being well past us, I was wondering what the consensus is on the french DDs and the Henry.

• I have found the St. Louise to be very useful in pub games, but it looks like the Henry has unforgivable acceleration.
  • I dont see the point in the french DD line since i can go down the Russian gun boat line and break even.

I find the Russian and French lines to be similar. Of course, there is that split for the soviet DDs but I do find the line that leads to the Groz to be a lot better. Khab is pretty power-crept and the Groz and Kleber are a lot stronger than it in my opinion.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,978 posts
20,683 battles
49 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

You take your Khabba, I'll take more Kleber.

Why?

Faster.

Better rudder shift. 

Faster turning.

Better guns at range.

Better concealment. 

Ability to stealth torp.

Magic french armour. 

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
919 posts
10,127 battles

The fundamental difference between the Kleber and the Khabarovsk is dexterity vs durability. The French rely on not getting hit, while the Russians are built to take a hit.

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
636 posts
12,049 battles
47 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

are you on crack? or just trolling? both lines are still good

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,390 battles

Russian destroyers are pretty much superior than French destroyers in every way for random battles.

Even the Khaba outclasses the Kleber, however, one thing to note is that in competitive Khaba is worthless while Kleber is a monster in clan battles and ban-worthy in KoTS 

[CAST]
Members
4,981 posts
3,513 battles

They are very different beasts, though.

Khaba has thick plating that can shatter many HE shells. It's pretty fast, but not compared to Kleber. Khaba can choose between smoke and heal. Khaba's unmodified DPM is higher than Kleber's. But Khaba has one significant drawback ... it is only one of the two DDs in the game that can take full pens from battleship AP.

Kleber has no heal and no special armor, no smoke, but it and the other French DDs are the ONLY DDs in the game where ship sections can be saturated. So you could be shooting at a quarter health Kleber, land hits, and curse uncontrollably at the pittance damage numbers popping up. Kleber has lower DPM than Khaba base, but when you turn on the gun boost consumable, Kleber's DPM is noticeably higher than Khaba's while it lasts. And needless to say, Kleber is WAY faster due to the super french speed boost of 20%. Kleber is also much faster on the rudder. Also, starting from Tier 8 and up, including Kleber, the French DD AP is *monstrous*. You can EASILY citadel cruisers from 10km away if they are showing broadside as if their armor was made of paper. Now don't get me wrong ... Russian DD AP is pretty strong, but it doesn't hold a candle to high tier French DD AP. 

Khaba has a more conservative playstyle of steady dpm while running and gunning, using either smoke to keep yourself safe on occasion, or a heal to keep yourself alive. Just be very wary around battleships as they can and will dev strike you with AP if you're unlucky. Kleber is also a run and gun ship, but it doesn't have smoke to camp a spot if needed.

Now all that being said, the French DDs do indeed start getting really good at Tier 8. Lower tiers has DDs with a 35 or so knot top speed, which gets boosted to low 40s with speed boost, which is nothing that great. And their shells are very average. But once you get to tier 8 (including the now spectacular after a huge number of buffs premium Le Terrible), they become incredibly dangerous.

Note: Few people play Khaba anymore as Kleber is simply better and more adaptable. That being said, Grozovoi is a really very good Russian DD that plays like a normal hybrid DD, but with those nice high velocity shells. I personally prefer Grozovoi over Khaba since Grozovoi's detection drops to 6km rather than the 8 or so than Khaba and Kleber have with full stealth builds.

Edited by KaptainKaybe
  • Cool 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,887 battles

Why play anything not russian in that game?

• Funny 1