You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

the bumper car flag isn't nearly as effective as you'd think

18 comments in this topic

Members
553 posts
2,178 battles

So I was in a full health Nelson trying to ram this half HP KGV... even though I got the flag mounted we both sunk.

I was like dude are you trying to ram me? You have only half health left! Are you out of your mind?

Turns out I was the one at the citty end of the deal.

• Boring 4

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,574 posts
15,635 battles

Depends on the situation. Back when Savage Battle mode was in session. The ramming flag was helpful. I still mount it if I think I may be going out in a head on or T bone collision

[HSD]
Members
703 posts
12,349 battles

The remaining HP of a ship does not impact the damage they deal in a ram. To abstract it, a ship at 50% HP is not half the tonnage, it is not half a ship, it is still a whole ship.

Ram damage is based on the total HP pool of the ship regardless of current HP.

The only other modifier is the Ramming flag, of course there is nothing stopping your opponent from having it to.

There have been oddities with ramming noted before with strange results but this doesn't sound like one of them.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,712 posts

Those signals always sell back to WG for exactly the listed credits, so I'm never that surprised. 

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,644 posts
4,350 battles

Ramming damage is based on the ships' total HP, not remaining HP. Using the Warships Wiki, the Nelson has 59,400 HP while the KGV has 53,900 HP. With the flag mounted, you should have received 43,120 points of damage. Maybe they also had the flag mounted. If not, then I'm guessing there were some other factors involved like speed, direction, or maybe you were hit by a salvo just before getting rammed.

The lesson is to avoid ramming unless you're down on HP and you want to get a final chunk of damage in. I also learned that the hard way. :Smile_veryhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
13 minutes ago, Aivris said:

The lesson is to avoid ramming unless you're down on HP and you want to get a final chunk of damage in.

Or unless you have so much more HP remaining than their full health total that you can take the hit and shrug it off. My most satisfying Die Hard was in a Musashi vs. a reversing Colorado; my most unusual was in a Nelson running down a Haida that thought its smoke was good enough protection. Had I had a heal available just a few seconds earlier, I would have got a second one in the same battle... but I killed two ships by ramming in that fight.

• Funny 1

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
1 hour ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

So I was in a full health Nelson trying to ram this half HP KGV... even though I got the flag mounted we both sunk.

I was like dude are you trying to ram me? You have only half health left! Are you out of your mind?

Turns out I was the one at the citty end of the deal.

Damage from ramming is based on the total HP of the ship, not the HP remaining. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

[HINON]
Members
13,243 posts

Let me guess, no replay once again OP? Just a reminder, they are saved automatically.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,628 posts
4,994 battles
5 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

And kept for how long?

The last 30 battles.

• Cool 1

Community Department
3,314 posts
1,300 battles
4 hours ago, Helstrem said:

The last 30 battles.

That's right, it even may be changed if anyone needs to save more. 

4 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

And kept for how long?

There is no need in answering this way anyone for the right feedback. Without replays such topics are not enough constructive. We often find the right answers here, but if you need an investigation from some of us, just provide more evidence. Screenshots and replays help in most situations.

[REVY]
Members
2,280 posts
12,236 battles
9 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My most satisfying Die Hard was in a Musashi vs. a reversing Colorado; my most unusual was in a Nelson running down a Haida that thought its smoke was good enough protection. 

Ran over a Shimakaze with my Musashi. It was toward the end of the battle. He was sitting in smoke, had already blindly fired off his torpedos (he shot them wide spread so I was able to squeak between them). Then we got proximity spotted. He had just started to move out of the way and bang, Shima down, and Musashi moving on to next target.

Members
1,723 posts
11,203 battles
1 hour ago, turbo07 said:

That's right, it even may be changed if anyone needs to save more.

Assuming they are turned on.  The patch that "automatically" made the setting default to saving replays didn't fully work.  The only time i bothered to modify that file was when i had to turn them on myself at a later date. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,033 posts
14,288 battles
3 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Ran over a Shimakaze with my Musashi

Speed bump. LOL.

It's sort of a pity we aren't getting submarines lower than Tier 6; I so badly wanted to recreate HMS Dreadnought's only combat kill of its entire career. (I guess there's always the training room, LOL.)

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,712 posts

Subs being tier 6 and above means that when they're eventually shoved into the existing modes, I can at least get on and play Wyoming or Vampire once in a while.

As for ramming, if it were up to me, it would do very minor damage.  Idiots ramming in games has reached the point where I can flip a coin on whether that ship I'm trying to support is going to leave me hanging against multiple enemies because he decided to ram one of the enemies and move on.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,028 posts
13,283 battles
11 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

And kept for how long?

Make yourself an archive folder and move the ones you want to keep into it, and you have them forever.

[WOLFC]
Members
485 posts
6,361 battles

Bumper car flag? This needs to be a thing. Maybe as a reward for 100 successful rammings or something.

bumpercarflag.jpg

[WOLFG]
Members
28,940 posts
8,200 battles
4 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Subs being tier 6 and above means that when they're eventually shoved into the existing modes, I can at least get on and play Wyoming or Vampire once in a while.

Heh, yeah, what does that tell you about subs that newbies won't be made to deal with them, when even CVs start at T4.......