You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

Arms Race then vs. now: Which do you prefer?

17 comments in this topic

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts

The Arms Race mode has had various changes since it's first appearance as its own battle mode, such as new buff types, introduction of buffs' effects on aircraft, and (the biggest one for me) buff effects now have uniform application for all allies. Buffs used to only affect allies within a 12 km distance. Furthermore, the ship who seized the buff received a 2x effect rather than the 1x effect experienced by other ships. (In the current Ranked mode, all allies receive a 1x effect from any buff seized by an ally.)

Regarding the 3rd point in particular, do you prefer the way Arms Race is implemented now? Or do you prefer how it was implemented in the past?

Good luck in Ranked Season 15!

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,209 battles

Can I pick ‘neither’ as an option?

The feeling moderated somewhat this season, but I’m not exactly a fan of Arms Race.

• Cool 1

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

The feeling moderated somewhat this season, but I’m not exactly a fan of Arms Race.

You mean you don't like Arms Race? I feel there were some significant differences as WoWS tweaked the mode slightly with each iteration. You have to have some preference? 

[SPARO]
[SPARO]
Members
94 posts
8,004 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I agree with I am also not a fan of the ARMS Race espeacialy in Ranked . I think it was fine in the savage battles but that's about it

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,213 posts
5,678 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

The Arms Race mode has had various changes since it's first appearance as its own battle mode, such as new buff types, introduction of buffs' effects on aircraft, and (the biggest one for me) buff effects now have uniform application for all allies. Buffs used to only affect allies within a 12 km distance. Furthermore, the ship who seized the buff received a 2x effect rather than the 1x effect experienced by other ships. (In the current Ranked mode, all allies receive a 1x effect from any buff seized by an ally.)

Regarding the 3rd point in particular, do you prefer the way Arms Race is implemented now? Or do you prefer how it was implemented in the past?

Good luck in Ranked Season 15!

Oink Goltz 😱

Just posted something very similar... Anyway 🐷, I repeat here, I love this buffed battles but find the buffs are too close from each team and I don't "feel the difference". There should be located in the middle right and left the central circle and be more rewarding. Capturing  more buffs should make the difference, a real race. And add the race to random battles! 

Oink Goltz! 🐷🐷

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
36 minutes ago, IceWolf____ said:

I agree with I am also not a fan of the ARMS Race espeacialy in Ranked . I think it was fine in the savage battles but that's about it

Thanks for sharing! I think it's nice to have some variety. Ranked at T10 gets old fast. Anything particular about Arms Race you don't like?

5 minutes ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Oink Goltz 😱

Just posted something very similar... Anyway 🐷, I repeat here, I love this buffed battles but find the buffs are too close from each team and I don't "feel the difference". There should be located in the middle right and left the central circle and be more rewarding. Capturing  more buffs should make the difference, a real race. And add the race to random battles! 

Oink Goltz! 🐷🐷

I think with your suggestion there would be more steamrolls. But it could be nice to try too. Thanks for sharing!

WoWS has tried giving allies buffs when a teammate dies to (I think) prevent steam rolls.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,213 posts
5,678 battles
7 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

steamrolls

That's the idea, shorter quicker battles.

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,209 battles
2 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

You mean you don't like Arms Race? I feel there were some significant differences as WoWS tweaked the mode slightly with each iteration. You have to have some preference? 

Bastion Mode then.

Because if we still had that, maybe I’d been able to add Fort Drum to my ‘fleet’ some day.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[LSNB]
Members
1,584 posts
4,409 battles
51 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Bastion Mode then.

Because if we still had that, maybe I’d been able to add Fort Drum to my ‘fleet’ some day.

Now where did that concept go...

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,209 battles
23 minutes ago, destawaits said:

Now where did that concept go...

lol

I think the forts were kicking everyone’s tushies, so they had to quietly pull it.

Fort Drum was just West of C Cap on Hotspot, IIRC, and had a nasty habit of keeping the teams apart.

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Bastion Mode then.

Was Bastion Mode unpopular among players?

I don't know because I didn't frequent the forums then, but I know it got pulled.

[SALVO]
Members
24,801 posts
25,886 battles
3 hours ago, IceWolf____ said:

The problem that I have with Arms Race in Ranked is that few people really know how to play Arms Race because it's not part of regular Randoms.  Arms Race (whatever version) would be a lot better in Ranked if it was also in Randoms so that players had a better feel for how to play it.

[SALVO]
Members
24,801 posts
25,886 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Bastion Mode then.

I honestly never warmed up to Bastion mode.  And I don't know what they could do to make it palatable. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,209 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

The problem that I have with Arms Race in Ranked is that few people really know how to play Arms Race because it's not part of regular Randoms.  Arms Race (whatever version) would be a lot better in Ranked if it was also in Randoms so that players had a better feel for how to play it.

For somebody who doesn’t exactly like the mode, even I understand grabbing boosts is good, (as long as you don’t die,) though I forgot about the issue with the center cap until someone reminded me in-game.

1 minute ago, Crucis said:

I honestly never warmed up to Bastion mode.  And I don't know what they could do to make it palatable. 

I understand that; but my discovery of an Osprey type book about Fort Drum in hobby store, and subsequent fascination with it, are the root of why I liked it.

That book may have been the root of my interest if costal fortifications, and my desire to visit them when I can.

Wish I could have seen the forts they made with salvaged turrets from Arizona on Oahu. (Long since scrapped.)

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,801 posts
25,886 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

For somebody who doesn’t exactly like the mode, even I understand grabbing boosts is good, (as long as you don’t die,) though I forgot about the issue with the center cap until someone reminded me in-game.

I understand that; but my discovery of an Osprey type book about Fort Drum in hobby store, and subsequent fascination with it, are the root of why I liked it.

That book may have been the root of my interest if costal fortifications, and my desire to visit them when I can.

Wish I could have seen the forts they made with salvaged turrets from Arizona on Oahu. (Long since scrapped.)

Prophet, just because one understand the mechanics of Arms Race does not mean that one understands the subtleties of playing the mode well.  Ya know, things like proper positioning, and timing for taking the powerups, or remembering that you have to stay close to the center of the map come the 10:00 mark when the single cap appears, and so on.

I simply think that people would play Arms Race better in Ranked if they had some regular experience with the mode in random battles. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,209 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Prophet, just because one understand the mechanics of Arms Race does not mean that one understands the subtleties of playing the mode well.  Ya know, things like proper positioning, and timing for taking the powerups, or remembering that you have to stay close to the center of the map come the 10:00 mark when the single cap appears, and so on.

I simply think that people would play Arms Race better in Ranked if they had some regular experience with the mode in random battles. 

True enough.

I’m too much of a hamfist in any case; likely why I find no real enjoyment in the mode or the current Ranked tiering.