You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MaxMcKay

CVL and CVE return to WG When? how should they?

21 comments in this topic

[-N-]
Alpha Tester
813 posts

I've been asking this question for a little bit, and many others are also asking for more CV variety in the game.  We've seen so many new ships brought into the game since the CV rework removed these types of CV's from the game.  There have been some discussion about bringing them back as support ships, anti-submarine CV's, etc.  

I'm curious when and what WG is thinking of bringing them back, and in what fashion.  As I stated earlier it's been too long for their return, and a great deal of CV players are requesting and would love more ships to actually use.  Just like any other line, variety is the spice of life!

Here's hoping some folks think of some interesting ways they could come back, what they could be used for, and would like more variety in the CV line ups.

All doom and gloom folks, please visit the many other threads that you've started and allow the CV folks some fun! Thanks!:cap_cool:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles

Yes, because more CVs when they can't make the few we have balanced is the way to go.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 3

[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles

No word last I saw.

The CV Rebork also pulled a few Fleet CVs that were once in the game.

Old Tier VII Hiryu.

Image result for wows hiryu

Old Tier IX Taiho

Image result for wows taiho

And of course, old Tier IX Essex

essex.jpg

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,453 posts
6,507 battles

Saipan is CVL....   

[-N-]
Alpha Tester
813 posts
2 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Saipan is CVL....   

premium, they took out the Boque and Independence.  Would love to see them back and other varieties of lights and jeep carriers :)

[-N-]
Alpha Tester
813 posts
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

No word last I saw.

The CV Rebork also pulled a few Fleet CVs that were once in the game.

Old Tier VII Hiryu.

Image result for wows hiryu

Old Tier IX Taiho

Image result for wows taiho

And of course, old Tier IX Essex

essex.jpg

Was just about to the Essex when they did the rework.  Hoping to see her back, as well would love to see the Wasp and Hornet!

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
17 minutes ago, TheKrimzonD3mon said:

Yes, because more CVs when they can't make the few we have balanced is the way to go.

Pretty much this, before adding more CVs, WG should try to balance the ones already in game... 

We dont need more OP CVs in the game... 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[SALVO]
Members
4,440 posts
3,825 battles

What's the point for more CV's? What you need is more plane variety and choose of loadout. You are playing planes, not so much the ship

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
3,112 posts
25,938 battles

I'm waiting for the subs to make the game more even ……………..

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,799 battles

They could easily do a line split for the IJN CVs to add the Hiryu, Taiho back (and buffed to tiers 8 and 10).

And maybe add the Hornet or Yorktown as a tier 8 (with weaker planes like the Enterprise, though hopefully not broken like the Big E) and the Essex at tier 10.

That being said, WG need to work out what role they want CVs to play in this game. As currently they have issues and are inherently unfun to play against. 

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
1 hour ago, Xlap said:

Pretty much this, before adding more CVs, WG should try to balance the ones already in game... 

We dont need more OP CVs in the game... 

They have with op dd

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,915 posts
11,596 battles
55 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

What's the point for more CV's? What you need is more plane variety and choose of loadout. You are playing planes, not so much the ship

give this man a medal because he just hit the nail so square on the head it plunged itself through the whole damn board

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,218 posts
5,689 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Your comment is interesting. Note that we have a plane variety and lots of planes aren't used. At almost every tier, it's possible to upgrade planes and this is pretty easy... Lots of planes are almost never used. I sometimes downgrade to the Midway's Skyriders as I find them beautiful.

A simple way to create CVs, and this was done with Kaga, Enterprise and Saipan is to simply create a ship, using those planes, a TIV IJN using those Ryujo Claudes...

[-N-]
Alpha Tester
813 posts
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

The CV's limit the planes, load outs, etc.  CVL's and CVE's could easily use different planes, could also use different bomb loadouts for anti sub work

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
13 hours ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Your comment is interesting. Note that we have a plane variety and lots of planes aren't used. At almost every tier, it's possible to upgrade planes and this is pretty easy... Lots of planes are almost never used. I sometimes downgrade to the Midway's Skyriders as I find them beautiful.

A simple way to create CVs, and this was done with Kaga, Enterprise and Saipan is to simply create a ship, using those planes, a TIV IJN using those Ryujo Claudes...

I did not want to upgrade the Lex planes because of that.  The SBD was very Pritty.

It bugs me so much that we cant get the planes we want on the deck.

Members
564 posts
15 hours ago, MaxMcKay said:

a great deal of CV players are requesting and would love more ships to actually use.

They just gave you a whole British line of mobile airports not too long ago..   

Members
564 posts
14 hours ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Whats the point?   CV's hide in the back anyway.   Just create 'offboard assets and let the airport player fly to/from an imaginary airfield off board.

If were going to wreck the game with airports you might as well have them all.   I want a B-25H to skipbomb and AP rocket boats with.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,664 posts
14,760 battles

I don't quite understand why you'd want CVE or CVL. 

While a light cruiser is not inherently worse than a heavy cruiser, and can be well balanced against them, and battlecruiser-ish ships can balance with battleships, and destroyers and leaders can swap punch for handling and concealment CVE and CVL are just simply worse than Fleet carriers. 

Why clamor for a carrier only with a smaller air group, worse armor, worse speed, worse HP and worse AA/secondaries?

[TWE]
Beta Testers
149 posts
1,337 battles
On 3/19/2020 at 6:23 PM, ArIskandir said:

Take heed my fellow keyboard warriors, this man speakith the gospel! If WG really wants to rework CVs, they need to find a way to (finally) put the emphasis and focus of gameplay ON THE SHIP. The planes are merely ordnance and should be treated as such, not as a game within the game. Sure keep the feature if you must, but maybe make it optional to take control of a squadron vs. just give them a mission.

[-N-]
Alpha Tester
813 posts
4 hours ago, mofton said:

I don't quite understand why you'd want CVE or CVL. 

While a light cruiser is not inherently worse than a heavy cruiser, and can be well balanced against them, and battlecruiser-ish ships can balance with battleships, and destroyers and leaders can swap punch for handling and concealment CVE and CVL are just simply worse than Fleet carriers. 

Why clamor for a carrier only with a smaller air group, worse armor, worse speed, worse HP and worse AA/secondaries?

They were speaking of bringing the CVL's and CVE back as a support ship, that can aid players by potentially dropping smoke bombs, assisting in putting fires out, things of that nature.  Not to mention these two ship types were crucial for the protection of convoys against submarines and were used in attacks themselves.  Never mind just being used as a ferry service for more replacements to the fleet CV's.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,664 posts
14,760 battles
2 hours ago, MaxMcKay said:

They were speaking of bringing the CVL's and CVE back as a support ship, that can aid players by potentially dropping smoke bombs, assisting in putting fires out, things of that nature.  Not to mention these two ship types were crucial for the protection of convoys against submarines and were used in attacks themselves.  Never mind just being used as a ferry service for more replacements to the fleet CV's.

I think the core problem is that the reason for implementing even-only tier splits remains. Carriers are still unpopular, still face long queue times, and still seemingly need to be concentrated into fewer players to increase the number of people in queue. Fragmenting them over more tiers and support roles is a doubtful proposition.

I think the 'support' roles were basically one Developer's opium dreams. Damage is king. Support effects are trolly at best, and fairly useless at worst. Don't go repair my friendly DD - go sink the red one, always a better option. If you like the idea of them doing historic things like light strike and ASW then I assume you'd not like them to do weird dropping of health-packs or similar?

The carriers we have don't act anything like historic ones, and I doubt the CVL/CVE ones would either. Anti-submarine warfare will be a tiny niche in game - I suspect not even all games will have them. Sure, CVE can attack things, but full-up fleet carriers like Ranger with vastly more capacity there are already in the game as low as T6.