Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shadow_Wolf7

Questions about captain retraining

9 comments in this topic

[T3I0F]
Members
49 posts
2,306 battles

As I understand it switching a captain from one ship to another requires retraining (as long as there is not a premium ship involved). You can do this using gold, a combination of credits and experience, or just experience. While the captain is retraining he won't gain any progress to his next skill point until retraining is complete. I also understand that during retraining the captains skills acquired are reduced by half except on skills like priority target that can't be reduced by half.

However, you can also transfer a captain and when the game prompts you to retrain him you can click no and the captain does not enter the retraining phase (thus retaining his training for the last ship he was in) and stops earning skill progress altogether. I don't understand if this also incurs the 50% penalty on the captains skills since you are not retraining him?

My situation is that if I have a 19 point captain in a tier 10 such as the Minotaur, and wanted to play a couple games in my Fiji the game prompts me to retrain my captain. However, I really don't care that my captain won't gain any new progress because he already has 19 points. I also don't want to retrain him because I am only going to play a couple games every once and a while and then will just put him back in the Mino afterward. So, what is the best option?

Should I just train up a separate captain for my Fiji that will just have the exact same skill points as my Mino captain (which seems an enormous waste of time)?

Should I put the captain in the Fiji and just not retrain him? As stated above: does this still incur the 50% skill penalty but at least I don't have to retrain?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT:

To answer my own question it appears ALL skill are inactive while retraining OR if you don't retrain a captain and just transfer him into another ship thus requiring you to either train up a separate captain or retrain them for each ship you transfer them into each time which is a total bummer but I guess that's how WG makes money.

Edited by Shadow_Wolf7

[WOLFG]
Members
28,993 posts
8,240 battles
1 minute ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

As I understand it switching a captain from one ship to another requires retraining (as long as there is not a premium ship involved). You can do this using gold, a combination of credits and experience, or just experience. While the captain is retraining he won't gain any progress to his next skill point until retraining is complete. I also understand that during retraining the captains skills acquired are reduced by half except on skills like priority target that can't be reduced by half.

However, you can also transfer a captain and when the game prompts you to retrain him you can click no and the captain does not enter the retraining phase (thus retaining his training for the last ship he was in) and stops earning skill progress altogether. I don't understand if this also incurs the 50% penalty on the captains skills since you are not retraining him?

My situation is that if I have a 19 point captain in a tier 10 such as the Minotaur, and wanted to play a couple games in my Fiji the game prompts me to retrain my captain. However, I really don't care that my captain won't gain any new progress because he already has 19 points. I also don't want to retrain him because I am only going to play a couple games every once and a while and then will just put him back in the Mino afterward. So, what is the best option?

Should I just train up a separate captain for my Fiji that will just have the exact same skill points as my Mino captain (which seems an enormous waste of time)?

Should I put the captain in the Fiji and just not retrain him? As stated above: does this still incur the 50% skill penalty but at least I don't have to retrain?

Thanks for the help.

I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that if you don't retrain him to the ship, he can't command it in battle.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,118 posts
18,970 battles
31 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that if you don't retrain him to the ship, he can't command it in battle.

You can, but the captain will operate with much reduced efficiency on his skills.

Just train a captain for Fiji.

As for a 19 pt captain not gaining any new skills, true, but any XP he earns goes into the elite captain XP pool, so running a captain that won't gain XP points is a waste.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,993 posts
8,240 battles
20 minutes ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

@Skpstr I've definitely done this today and it will let you go into a battle.

1 minute ago, Lert said:

You can, but the captain will operate with much reduced efficiency on his skills.

I did say I could be wrong lol.

I might end up doing that next snowflake season for a few ships. Reduced skill efficiency is better than no skill efficiency, if I whip up a new captain just for a few battles.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

They really need to implement a way to make a tech tree ship into a premium, at least for captain purposes.  Since that won't happen, I've just started making captains for all non-premium ships.  Once you get a couple 19 pointers, they start coming really fast.

[RKLES]
Members
807 posts

Train a new Fiji captain. With your 19 point commander earning elite xp and  liberal use of the right flags and camo you will have a   15 point captain real quick .

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

It does appear, at least currently on PTS, that if you move a captain to a new ship but do NOT start the retraining (hit No on the screen with the credits/doubloons/free training options", you can enter a battle with that captain with reduced efficiency.

That is very interesting, as you could create a custom commander that only uses the skills that apply during retraining, instead of making low point caps.

That said, if you really enjoy a ship, make a captain for her.

[RLGN]
Members
14,297 posts
25,169 battles
31 minutes ago, Learux said:

Train a new Fiji captain. With your 19 point commander earning elite xp and  liberal use of the right flags and camo you will have a   15 point captain real quick .

This.

Unless you’ve been dismissing all your ‘unnecessary’ captains, you should have one lying around drawing his Rum ration and doing nothing.

Pick a 3 pointer or even a 0 pointer.

Asign him to Fiji; transfer him to Exeter, or Cossack, or some other premium.

Play the ship in Co-op the few games needed to retrain.

Go from there.

If you have even a few 100,000 elite xp, you can easily boost the Captain from the retrained 3 points to 10; though if you’ve got your skills down, just play him and keep the elite xp.

(I’m a big believer that player skills mean more than captain skills. For example; I started playing Colorado with a 0 point captain on a dare, (though I fxp upgraded to the C hull,) and he’s now 13 points, with a 62% wr.)

Sign in to follow this