You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

Nagato tier 4 captn skill - which one?

13 comments in this topic

Members
553 posts
2,178 battles

I'm ogling reduced fire chance and -60% secondaries.

Is the reduced fire chance worth it? 10% doesn't make a whole lot of sense, some rounds only have 6% or so chance to lit enemy ship up? How is it calculated?

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

Fire prevention is a solid skill maybe more a second t4 skill, but CE should probably be your first t4 skill. Absolutely do not take manual secondary skill on Nagato. 

Members
235 posts

With a handful of exceptions I would pretty much always go for CE as my first skill. However, Fire Prevention is a solid option, I wouldn't personally go down a secondary route none of the IJN Battleships are well suited for it and further down the line(assuming you are planning to take your capt up the line there are ships that its simply a waste of time....yes I'm looking at you Izumo!) 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,977 posts
20,681 battles

Nagato is an at range sniper, not a brawler. 

CE first so you can go dark and heal when you need to.

FP for 14th skill point.

[_I_]
Members
18 posts
2 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Is the reduced fire chance worth it? 10% doesn't make a whole lot of sense, some rounds only have 6% or so chance to lit enemy ship up? How is it calculated?

Poi

[WOLFC]
Members
1,621 posts
9,458 battles
5 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

All you need to know about fire: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

The 10% fire chance reduction from FP is nice, but the largest benefit is the combination of the center two “fire zones” of the ship. Not only does this reduce the maximum number of fires from 4 to 3, it does so by combining the center two zones, i.e. the superstructure. It just so happens that the superstructure is also where many small caliber HE spammers focus their fire, both because it’s easier to pen and because players generally aim for the center of the target to maximize hits.

I take fire prevention on all my battleships.

In regards to secondaries, the general rule is that if the ship isn’t German or a high-tier US premium a secondary build is not worth it. You’re better off building for survivability and concealment instead.

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,769 battles

The important part of FP isn't actually the 10% reduction to fire chance.  It's the reduction in total fires possible at one time from 4 to 3.  The way fires work, normally, is that the ship is divided in thirds.  You can have a max of one fire burning forward, one aft, and TWO in the midships 1/3 of the ship.  Once the maximum number of fires is reached in each section, further hits in that section will never start a fire.

With the FP captain skill, the max number of midships fires is reduced from 2 to 1.  Obviously a good thing, in and of itself.  But when you think about it, most HE spam is coming at you from pretty long range.  Far enough away that it isn't always easy for the opponent to hit specific parts of your ship.  Add to that, many, particularly less-skilled tend to fire at the center of mass of their target.  And more-skilled players will target your midships area to get more damaging hits on your superstructure.  What all that means is that you tend, over time, to take more hits amidships.  But with FP, once a fire starts midships, any further hits will NOT start a second fire.  So you can let that midships fire burn, for all the usual reasons, PLUS, in a perverse sort of way, it is protecting you from an additional fire.  I can't put numbers to it, but I'm pretty sure this actually gives you more protection than the overall 10% reduction in firechance, and when you put the two together, the protection is significant.  Of course, when you're on fire, it may not FEEL that way...

• Cool 1

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,769 battles

What serendipity.  Just today, WG released and updated video from their "How it Works" series, all about fire.  It discusses everything to do with fire, including the FP skill, and how to calculate it's effect.  The vid explains things quite well, and will only take a few minutes of your time.  Well worth it,

[WOLFG]
Members
9,559 posts
8,505 battles

What is this, a winecooler bar?

OP, if you have enough hair on your aft manual secondaries is the ONLY choice.

• Boring 1

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,799 battles

If you feel you are getting spotted from too far away, go for CE first.

If you are taking a ton of fire damage, go for FP first. Ideally you will get both eventually.

5 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Absolutely do not take manual secondary skill on Nagato. 

Nagato's secondaries are actually pretty potent and fun in operations like Narai. Though I obviously wouldn't recommend it as a serious PvP build. 

[CDOH]
Members
376 posts
6,854 battles

I did not like the Nagato. Its squishy.  Get to the Amagi much better ship. 

[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles
12 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Absolutely do not take manual secondary skill on Nagato. 

Unless you know what you're getting into lol.

And not without AFT & BFT as well.

Edited by Skpstr

[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles
7 hours ago, SovereignEagle said:

Nagato's secondaries are actually pretty potent and fun in operations like Narai. Though I obviously wouldn't recommend it as a serious PvP build. 

It works ok for me. I took FP and CE off a long time ago, with no ill effects. (I may regret the removal of FP, with fires being more common since the IFHE change, but oh well....

I wanted to try out the secondaries after they went all HE, and for some reason, lolibotes and CLs seem to want to charge Nagato a lot more often. (IJN secondaries are really nice for fires)

And, if I'm forced into a brawl, might as well rack up whatever damage you can.