You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iamtheintrepidmouse

PLAYER BUILD: The Do-It-All Devonshire

15 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
1,972 battles

Hello Gentle Mental Men

So I've been playing around with the Devonshire for the first time this week, and I think I've fallen in love!  After a few really exciting battles, I took a hard look at her Stats, her Upgrades, and her available Commander Skills and came up with a build for the Devonshire.  The build focuses on "doing it all"----that is, medium range Main Battery performance, Secondary Battery brawls, and ambush-style Torpedo strategies while hiding behind islands.  With all the puzzle pieces combined, I really think I have created the ultimate ambush predator (or at least an intimidating knife fighter) for Tier 5 or Tier 6 play.  In theory, getting 5 km close to this Devonshire build would be a stupid idea for almost any enemy ship. 

Take a look at it, tell me what you think, share your own builds, and as always, suggestions and critiques are always welcomed.

(Build Title still a W.I.P.) The "Do-It-All Devonshire" looks like this:

CONSUMABLES: 

• Damage Control Party
  • Repair Party
  • Hydroacoustic Search

SHIP UPGRADES:

• Main Armaments Mod 1
  • Engine Room Protection
  • Secondary Battery Mod 1
  • Steering Gears Mod 1

COMMANDER SKILLS:  (listed in chronological order)

• Priority Target
  • Torpedo Acceleration
  • Superintendent 
  • Advanced Fire Training
  • Concealment Expert
  • Jack of All Trades
  • Expert Loader
  • Expert Marksman

***The_Intrepid_Mouse recommends unique commander Bert Dunkirk from the Armory, but not required.

Devonshire_Build_001_-_CONSUMABLES.png

Devonshire_Build_001_-_SHIP_UPGRADES.png

Devonshire_Build_001_-SIGNALS.png

Good Old Bert.png

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles

I used Jack Dunkirk in her for the one battle I played in Co op, she did quite well and in the next snowflake type event I am sure I will use her again. Your build looks fine and as long as you are having fun and she performs for you with that build I say go with it. Enjoyment is the key.

Devonshire   Devonshire 6 U.K. 1 100% 4 547 101 857 3 7

That is Co op of course. She did well for a first battle, I guess she took out 3 of 9 bots, or was it only 8 bots back then?

shot-20_03.19_00_49.55-0679.thumb.jpg.5be4398617092dc1a7ff81d127c65cea.jpg

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,705 battles

Instead of TAE, I would take AR.

If you could do a little juggling,  SE would benifit greatly your survival. Especially with the heal she has.

But otherwise,  nothing wrong with your build.

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles
5 hours ago, iamtheintrepidmouse said:

Is there a website where players can create and share their ship builds?

I think Ship Comrade does. I know it has a Captain skill test section, so you can see your build before finalizing it in game.

http://shipcomrade.com/leaderboard.asp?PR=na&Name=&A=1&B=5&G=0&S=100&R=107&C=5

• Cool 1

Members
29 posts
1,972 battles
18 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

".....If you could do a little juggling,  SE would benifit greatly your survival. Especially with the heal she has."

Considering most heavy cruisers feel like paperships, is the larger health pool from SE truly worth it?  Or is there a mechanic or item that I don't understand?  What does more health do for me if they can hit my citadel all day long and almost one-shot me?  Perhaps it would help your reply to know that I have more games in Pensacola than any other heavy cruiser.  Pepsicola is where I started on this heavy cruiser adventure (and boy-howdy does she have a HUGE citadel).

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,994 posts
20,705 battles
1 hour ago, iamtheintrepidmouse said:

Considering most heavy cruisers feel like paperships, is the larger health pool from SE truly worth it?  Or is there a mechanic or item that I don't understand?  What does more health do for me if they can hit my citadel all day long and almost one-shot me?  Perhaps it would help your reply to know that I have more games in Pensacola than any other heavy cruiser.  Pepsicola is where I started on this heavy cruiser adventure (and boy-howdy does she have a HUGE citadel).

Properly angled she will bounce Amagi/Norcal ap shots.

Bigger health pool = more hp you can heal, especially if your running flag.

I found her HE shells hurt ships real bad.

AP is good on broadside cruisers at mid range.

Note: tier 8 and up get a super heal like Minnow and Conquer. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,994 posts
20,705 battles
1 hour ago, iamtheintrepidmouse said:

Pepsi isn't a true heavy armour wise.

She is classified as a HVY CA because of gun size.

Pepsi's protection is her being nimble as possible. 

• Cool 1

Members
101 posts
7,072 battles

Count me in the Devonshire fan club!  I think it is better than all of the 8 inch T6 cruisers overall.  It out guns the Aoba.  It is better armored than the Pepsi.  Better balanced than the Trento.  I know the gun range is shorter, but what can you hit past 15km? Me, not much maybe a BB if I am lucky.  Hydro is nice and HEAL is really good.  The AP is great vs T5 and  T6 cruisers.  No one is "Tanky" at these Tiers, so her armor compares well to T 6 rivals.  It is a very English ship.  Not flashy or glitzy.  Understated yet effective and versatile.

• Cool 3

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles

The Devonshire is "squishy", but an otherwise versatile 'bote.  
Good for DD hunting and keeping torpedo-phobic BB's nervous.  :-)

• Cool 1

Members
29 posts
1,972 battles
On 3/20/2020 at 12:58 AM, dEsTurbed1 said:

Pepsi's protection is her being nimble as possible. 

Totally agree!  I pick Rudder Shift mod with her every single time.  Really noticed an increase in my survival after going with Rudder Shift.  

Members
29 posts
1,972 battles
18 hours ago, Player_7629970598 said:

Count me in the Devonshire fan club!  I think it is better than all of the 8 inch T6 cruisers overall.  It out guns the Aoba.  It is better armored than the Pepsi.  Better balanced than the Trento.  I know the gun range is shorter, but what can you hit past 15km? Me, not much maybe a BB if I am lucky.  Hydro is nice and HEAL is really good.  The AP is great vs T5 and  T6 cruisers.  No one is "Tanky" at these Tiers, so her armor compares well to T 6 rivals.  It is a very English ship.  Not flashy or glitzy.  Understated yet effective and versatile.

Just found out the other day that after equipping Devonshire with Secondary Battery Mod 1 upgrade, Signals, and commander skill Advanced Fire Training, I can bring her secondaries range all the way up to a maximum of 7.6 km!!!  SEVEN. POINT. SIX.  Take that, her torps, and that sweet British semi-armor piercing HE (starts fires at 17% out-of-the-box before equipping signals) all into consideration and what do you get?? You get a ship that wants to BRAWL.

Beautiful ship.  Just lovely.  =)

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles
2 hours ago, iamtheintrepidmouse said:

Just found out the other day that after equipping Devonshire with Secondary Battery Mod 1 upgrade, Signals, and commander skill Advanced Fire Training, I can bring her secondaries range all the way up to a maximum of 7.6 km!!!  SEVEN. POINT. SIX.  Take that, her torps, and that sweet British semi-armor piercing HE (starts fires at 17% out-of-the-box before equipping signals) all into consideration and what do you get?? You get a ship that wants to BRAWL.

Beautiful ship.  Just lovely.  =)

Nice.

[APES]
Members
993 posts
6,315 battles
On 3/20/2020 at 7:30 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

The Devonshire is "squishy", but an otherwise versatile 'bote.  
Good for DD hunting and keeping torpedo-phobic BB's nervous.  :-)

She actually a lot tankier than paper boats like Shchors. Her tankiness makes me agree with the OP that Hydroacoustic Search (instead of Defensive AA Fire) is a viable build. She is not that much of a CV magnet.

This replay is an instance of how tanky she is:

[KRAK]
Members
1,354 posts
15,265 battles

Two games in her tonight. Even though T5 Hawkins came with perma camo, this ship is a winner. 

Edited by Ericson38
  • Cool 1