You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dano07_

W, Virginia '41 vs Arizonia for operations ?

34 comments in this topic

Members
71 posts
105 battles

Hi

Just looking for a US BB boat for T6 ops - which do players find the most useful and easiest to use well ?

Thanks

D

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles
5 minutes ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

Just looking for a US BB boat for T6 ops - which do players find the most useful and easiest to use well ?

Thanks

D

West Virginia Hands down for Operations over Arizona, I would show you pictures but I am not staying up late enough to look for them. I found some any way.

image.thumb.png.635be9ef5ec9fdc269b358966b885330.png

image.thumb.png.44c023ae39eaab5685fec7522c49a1cc.png

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
71 posts
105 battles

why exactly is it hands down better - the ships descriptions don't exactly give a clear picture ( they do mention Arizona has accurate guns and W, Virg has short range guns ) ?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
2 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

West Virginia Hands down for Operations over Arizona, I would show you pictures but I am not staying up late enough to look for them.

Late? It is just past midnight. :Smile_hiding: I suppose having worked most of my life on the afternoon and night shift that this is not that late.

• Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles
15 minutes ago, Dano07_ said:

why exactly is it hands down better - the ships descriptions don't exactly give a clear picture ( they do mention Arizona has accurate guns and W, Virg has short range guns ) ?

Arizona is ruthlessly slow and it has a longer reload too. Dunkerque and Mutsu would be my first and second choice for OPs with the West Virginia third. OK, not would be, is, my first and second choice.

image.thumb.png.37bbb48955c9afb085337b2970e26207.png

image.thumb.png.adbf51ecd52b160664090f4715df957f.png

image.thumb.png.08396e79078b64e9de004792a2e65c81.png

image.thumb.png.000f45eab8e6a312e52842aadc3b75ae.png

image.thumb.png.2e2e7ce5b7b923ea9d82e7c6f7348011.png

image.thumb.png.d197179698ec7a3cb7ee68654d50de8c.png

image.thumb.png.dcd55f915e4047cf184ebcd3f08b0520.png

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles
13 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Late? It is just past midnight. :Smile_hiding: I suppose having worked most of my life on the afternoon and night shift that this is not that late.

Yeah I didn't sleep.

• Cool 1

Members
71 posts
105 battles

Ok ty for the late night replies - 

just while it crosses my mind where would Prinz E. Friedrich fit in this mix - I would have thought it might have been first pick in BBs for ops or am I mistaken about its capabilities ?

thanks

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles
7 minutes ago, Dano07_ said:

just while it crosses my mind where would Prinz E. Friedrich fit in this mix - I would have thought it might have been first pick in BBs for ops or am I mistaken about its capabilities ?

thanks

PEF is fine but I don't use it much, German dispersion at distance and it has small guns. It works fine though. Probably my forth choice actually. Warspite 5th. Izmail is good but doesn't get you premium bonus's. Mostly I use the top 3 that I said because they are cooled down by the time that I need to use them.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLF8]
Members
7,344 posts
6,239 battles

Both ships are just fine for the Operations, TBH. Both of them are pretty much in a same bote (lol pun), when it comes to the USN standards' slowness, so it's not like either of them is gonna get anywhere in a hurry... unless it's the Defense of the Newport, lel. And if RNGesus decides to troll you, then any miss with the shells from W.V.'s salvos can feel a bit painful. Arizona has 50% more guns, hence firing 50% more shells, and that at least gives better chance of hitting something, even when you get a bad RNG. Besides, they both pretty much have same dispersion and Sigma, so it's not like one is strictly better than the other anyway. And while it's true that W.V. has better reload speed and better turret traverse speed, Arizona has 7,000 more HP... which may come in handy in some cases. Just saying.

PEF is also great for the Operations, simply due to her speed. She can keep up with faster allies and help with a push, a hunt, or a rescue, which the two aforementioned ships simply cannot do well. Her Secondaries can be marvelous, should you specialize your captain for them, as expected of a German ship. Her guns may let you down quite a lot (bad HE damage and bad AP penetration), but given that most enemies that you face in the Operations are lower tier ones (equal or higher tier enemies are generally in the minority), they do just fine overall. If you play this ship to her strength, mainly her speed, then she'll reward you handsomely for the Operations.

Personally, among these three ships, I say the safest bet would be Arizona. Unlike W.V., she has plenty of guns to be "trolled less" by any bad RNG, and still brings plenty of "Oomph" to her salvos to quickly dispatch any foes, and her guns will most likely not let you down... at least, not as much as PEF's measly (lul) guns can. Sure, she's slow and can't get to any position fast, but once you figure out where to go and what to do at when for each Operation, it becomes a less of an issue in a long run.

That's just me though. My 2 shells. Please take them not with a grain of salt, but with a grain of sugar. Thank you, lal.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[RLGN]
Members
14,304 posts
25,241 battles
8 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

(as above...)

To this I might add; it depends on what you're going to fight.

WeeVee will hit battleships and forts harder, but might have issues overpenning softer targets with its AP. As was mentioned; fewer guns means less chance to hit when using HE.

Arizona, (and for that matter, New Mexico,) are better at smothering softer targets with HE, and more guns means more chances against everything when using AP.

Personnaly; my prefered battleships in things like Aegis and Killer Whale, (and somewhat in Raptor Rescue,) are Normandie and Warspite.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles

I'd rather use other Tier VI BBs than any USN that tier for Operations.  Reload speed is beyond abysmal for NM and AZ, and both, to include WV'41, are atrociously slow.  The 3 best for the purpose of Tier VI Operations, IMO:

Fuso with 356mm x12 guns at 28 seconds reload with IJN BB dispersion.  The Fuso Shotgun:  Some of the best, most forgiving set of Battleship guns in mid tiers bracket.  24.5kts, faster than any Standard USN BB.

Warspite is accurate with very reliable guns and can get away with Secondary Spec because of that.  Her Secondaries are just as good as the Germans this tier, and one could say they're better on Warspite... Because of how the secondaries are arranged on her casemate.  She can angle pretty well and still present a good amount of secondaries.  381mm x8 at 30 seconds reload, as well as having 23.5kts instead of 21kts of Standard USN BBs.  She also has an improved Repair Party.

Normandie has 340mm x12 guns with 30 seconds reload.  She's pretty forgiving but the Fuso Shotgun is better.  But the key thing is that Normandie is blazing fast with an absolutely absurd, Science Fiction speed of 29.5kts.  She gets around where you need BB firepower very easily.  Normandie's speed test breaking records:

Spoiler

Image result for gone plaid gi

PEF is decent.  The guns are somewhat mediocre in that she only has 350mm x8 with 28 seconds reload.  Fuso reloads just as fast, has larger 356 guns, and has twelve of them.  But the one thing PEF has is she is fast at 28kts.  Still, I'd place her worse than the previous three.  Normandie is faster and has 12 guns instead of 8.  Warspite has the same amount of rifles as PEF, but she has larger 381mm guns and reloads them almost as fast as PEF's smaller 350mm guns.

The beautiful part is that Fuso and Normandie can be had for free.  They are Tech Tree Battleships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WORX]
Members
10,663 posts
18,555 battles
1 hour ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

Thanks

D

Why not both??? Its for operations why limit yourself to only one... I try to play all ships classes in operation in a given tier...

It builds character especially in a DD..

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles
26 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The beautiful part is that Fuso and Normandie can be had for free.  They are Tech Tree Battleships.

Unfortunately they don't earn like Premium ships in Operations though, and tier 6 premium ships are fairly cheap.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
71 posts
105 battles

Thanks for all the great replies

Yes I loved my Fuso and she was op for operations - how is Mutsu different to Fuso ?

Also how is the Normandie different to Dunkerque too thanks ?

My agenda for ops is for a Cpt retraining/progression and that why I was even looking at W. Vig / Ariz  still I will have to pick one eventually - there seems to be points for both; like more shells less over pen on CLs vs better rudder and harder hitting against BBs

But I rarely see many US BBs in ops as they are so slow - the counter against that is knowing the fight well and just plotting a course for min. distance travelled.

D

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles

Arizona. It may be slow in all aspects but ive found it to be much more reliable than the WV (which also burns like its covered in oil) The Arizona really could so with having its punitive reload time reduced.

[36]
Members
452 posts
10,088 battles

Arizona. Good armor, good health pool, very accurate guns, low velocity and smaller caliber translate into fewer overpens versus the hordes of bot T4-7 cruisers you will face. The only downside to this ship is it’s slow speed, but when talking operations, the maps are relatively small and your objectives/routes and timetables are pretty apparent after playing through a scenario 2 or 3 times.

There really are no bad choices, and I like West Virginia as well, but I don’t trust her guns as much.

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,730 battles

Of those two I prefer Arizona. 12 shells downrange is better than 8 most of the time. WV's bigger guns are massive overkill on the bot ships, most of which are undertiered cruisers. They overpen a lot. WV's guns do good work on the Izumo in the current operation though. Neither of them are that great in ops like Raptor Rescue where you have to move a lot. 

[F4E]
Members
283 posts
7,064 battles
19 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Neither (Arizona or West Virginia) are that great in ops like Raptor Rescue where you have to move a lot. 

USN standard BBs are not ideal in any circumstances where mobility is important, but the scripted nature of the Ops allow you to make up for the slow speed to a very significant degree.

I have found New Mexico to be more than adequate in Raptor Rescue, Killer Whale, and Aegis — and the slow reload on the main guns is a bigger challenge than the slow speed of the ship.

(I think Fuso and Bayern are both better for Ops, but only a little bit...)

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
10 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

thanks

If your wishing to branch out a bit and get a German boat, get the Graf Spee. She's cheaper in terms of doubloons and can be played like a mini battleship. She has good armor, health, and speed for a cruiser and she has 11-inch-guns which are basically battleship guns (the same guns found on the Scharnhorst and Nassau). The main thing she has going for her are torpedoes which come in hand for Newport.

[CDOH]
Members
386 posts
6,919 battles

Both ships are amazing.  It really comes down to what you feel more comfortable in.  For me its Wv.  The pen at tier6 is amazing.

Members
74 posts
10,172 battles

The biggest strength of the WV are the 406s at tier 6, so it can overmatch stuff. Not a very useful trait in a game mode that has you shooting lots of lightly armored low tier ships.

[GOB]
Members
2,059 posts
11 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

thanks

I LOVE the PE for ops.  Set up those secondaries and watch how many kills you get without even looking. It's a blast in AEGIS and especially Killer Whale.

Edited by Col_Nasty

[A-I-M]
Members
3,042 posts
13,308 battles
12 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

Yes I loved my Fuso and she was op for operations - how is Mutsu different to Fuso 

Mutsu has 16” guns as opposed to Fuso’s 14” rifles, but only eight of them. They’re not Nagato-level guns, though.

Mutsu has torpedoes. Two per side, in independent tubes. Not great launcher angles, though. They reload in 20 seconds, though. Can be handy when you’re rudely surprised, though.

Mutsu also makes 26-27 knots.

[SIDE]
Members
4,695 posts

I have both . Scanning thru a few replies it seems there is a lot of good advice already. In my opinion Arizona is the clear choice between those two for Ops. 12 guns can be used to more effect on the myriad targets. Lesser chance of overpen on small targets due to smaller Caliber. That said, neither is as good as french or German BB with their higher speed giving them slightly more flexibility. Each knot is precious.