You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Harley_Quinn1

Surey. British Heavy Cruisers, omg this thing is miserable.

7 comments in this topic

[SQUAD]
Members
78 posts
12,605 battles

So I just finished my grind of the Surey.  My goodness that thing is miserable.  I have been slowly picking up all the ships I’ve sold to advance my tiers over the years weather I play them or not just to have them in my port and as I finished the Surey I find myself hovering over that sell button constantly.

I very much enjoy cruiser play but what ever this thing is I would dare not call it a cruiser.  If I were to call it anything it’s a freighter with some trash guns with some of the best carptenders, welders,  fabricators, sparked, and machinery mates in the game to patch this sorry excuse for a piece of engineering together as every shell that touches you penetrates you.  The near inability for this thing to angle is one thing but maybe you can kite and use your range and quick maneuverability to avoid shells and escape pursuing enemies... nope, ship is a tried and true cruiser version of a Colorado,  I honestly think the rudder shift on the Colorado is better at least it feels as if it is.  So don’t expect to get out of the way of any of those rounds coming to be devoured by your ship as your hit points drop faster than the stock market during a pandemic. Well maybe the guns are the redeeming quality on this ship... NO.  Slow loading floaty rounds horrible range, ok HE alpha “when they land near each other”  and expect any of your light British counterparts to rip you apart and spit you out.  As the new Russian cruisers come out remember this is one line you may have to deal with them in.  Good luck I have a feeling back to port will be a friend of yours if you are in one of these British Heavies.  

This has been my experience with these Heavy Cruisers thus far.  If you have had better luck feel free to comment on what you are doing to make these boats perform, otherwise join me in my roast.  🥂

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[FORM]
Members
1,640 posts
11,416 battles

FWIW, I thought the Albe was worse than the Surrey. It does get better though ;)

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,334 posts
25,271 battles

I like Colorado, my highest BB wr in Randoms.

The RN heavies; not so much.

Exeter; awesome cruiser. London...

Well; it’s best to just say Hawkins and Devonshire are gonna be mighty lonely, and rusty, ‘cause Exeter.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

Members
16 posts
4,044 battles

Being curious because I am collecting Brit cruisers, and knowing the virtual ships we drive in the game are supposed to be based on real ships I googled the history of it. This pooped up un the results.

County-class cruiser - Wikipedia

image.png.eb9ff3dd3a6101e8a345a011cf805615.png

The final pair of Counties – Norfolk and Dorsetshire – formed the Norfolk class. Another two ships that had been deferred from the 1927–1928 and 1928–1929 programmes – to have been named Northumberland and Surrey – were ordered on 15 May 1929, but suspended on 23 August and finally cancelled on 14 January 1930.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,654 posts
34,960 battles

Hated ' awkins.

Devonshire I find ok, not great.

Currently at Surrey as I am not in a hurry for this line and grind very slowly and sporadically. I am doing ok with Surrey. At least I do not dislike it.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,112 posts
23,873 battles

Surrey is actually decent.  It's the ones before her and Tier VIII Albemarle that are the problem.

Albemarle is basically Neptune / Minotaur without the Smoke.  Yes, that is as scary as it sounds.  The size, tall hull sticking high up out of the water providing lots of real estate to pen / citadel.  The gargantuan citadel is exactly like Neptune and Minotaur.  But those RN CLs got SMOKE and Albemarle doesn't.

The RN CAs of course don't have the agility of the RN CL branch, so Albemarle, sailing like sh*t and not having Smoke is in deep sh*t.

Image result for simpsons i'm in danger

IX Drake has about similar protection to VIII Albemarle, but she moves into 234mm guns.

X Goliath has 234mm x12 and has some increases in armor that are better than the other RN CAs, but don't you go try tanking in that thing...

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1