Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

Battle Report: Graf Zeppelin - "CV Theorycrafting, Part VI"

4 comments in this topic

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,671 posts
12,400 battles

For the sixth installment in our series focused on Tier VIII carriers, we take a look at German premium Graf Zeppelin. Few ships have had as checkered a development history. How does she stand today? I have some learning to do., as shown here on Shards.

• Cool 2

0 posts

"this is the 1st time I've played Graf Zeppelin in a long time, probably since right after the rework." You mean right after the rework when she was totally broken, like all Rework Cvs were, right before she began a 6 month period where she was nerfed, patch after patch, hotfix after hotfix, 0.8.0 > 0.8.6 ?

"she used to be my favourite CV in the RTS years" was this before or after she was buffed to broken status ? Most of those who enjoyed RTS Graf Zeppelin, were fans of the broken v2.0. 

Sorry if I needle you, but I have an unfortunately encyclopedic memory of the entire Zeppelin debacle, since her release in August 2017/

immediate gameplay observation : 

Rocket attack planes have excellent handling, spot, press attack turn and attack again without ever losing sight of enemy dd, but they are slow. On a big map, you are best off using your AP bombers as scouts at the start, once you understand enemy behaviour, you can better decide where to take your rocket attack planes on the slow trek to harrass enemy dds. Alternatively, if top tier, you might risk your torpedo bombers at the start, and play hopscotch left right right left across enemy bbs, before they wake up and get moving. early dmg shocks enemy and they call their own CV bad names :Smile_glasses: which helps your team/

As with Indomitable, taking advantage of the speed of your bombers, (torpedo and AP) is key to the battle, unlike Indomitable, your Rocket attack planes are best used within 15 k of your deck, to make most efficient use of them.

Tension is provided by your absolutely screamingly awful hull concealment, versus need to close with the enemy for optimal efficiency.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,671 posts
12,400 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

this is the 1st time I've played Graf Zeppelin in a long time, probably since right after the rework." You mean right after the rework when she was totally broken, like all Rework Cvs were, right before she began a 6 month period where she was nerfed, patch after patch, hotfix after hotfix, 0.8.0 > 0.8.6 ?

First time since right after the re-work dropped.  She was stupidly broken in that first iteration, and they gutted her AP bombers (as compared to the RTS version). I had no interest in playing her.  

she used to be my favourite CV in the RTS years" was this before or after she was buffed to broken status ? Most of those who enjoyed RTS Graf Zeppelin, were fans of the broken v2.0. 

I loved 2/0/3 Graf Zeppelin that crapped all over battleships.  Most players seemed to like the 1/2/1 variant, but that was never my bag.  I hated having only one fighter squadron.  

Tension is provided by your absolutely screamingly awful hull concealment, versus need to close with the enemy for optimal efficiency.

This is a great way to summarize things.  This is one carrier that desperately needs Concealment Expert on her commander.  I actually considered using the concealment mod in Slot 5 - like Kaga - until I looked at her planes on deck numbers.  After seeing that, I figured I'd suffer and find a way to make the crappy concealment work.  

The difference in attack plane/bomber speed is really noticeable, and takes some getting used to.  It's absolutely the inverse of most carriers.

Edited by SeaRaptor00

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,749 battles
3 hours ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

This is a great way to summarize things.  This is one carrier that desperately needs Concealment Expert on her commander.  I actually considered using the concealment mod in Slot 5 - like Kaga - until I looked at her planes on deck numbers.  After seeing that, I figured I'd suffer and find a way to make the crappy concealment work.  

The difference in attack plane/bomber speed is really noticeable, and takes some getting used to.  It's absolutely the inverse of most carriers.

I just ignore the secondaries. They're gimmicky. They are useful against some DDs, but cruisers that know how to angle will chew GZ up before the secondaries will finish them. Also buffing them takes skills and modules away that GZ desperately needs to help her planes.

The slow attack plane speed is noticeable. I use DBs to scout for GZ like you did.They are the least valuable planes she has. The attack planes are too slow and are more valuable than the DBs. As a note, GZs bombs drop side to side rather than front to back like every other carrier. Even though the reticule is circular you  want to attack ships from the broadside.  They also drop just short of where the reticule is when you trigger the attack run. Knowing that helped my accuracy with them. They are still terribly unreliable though.  

Sign in to follow this