You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CAPNATION

New to game - Captain question

33 comments in this topic

Members
19 posts
918 battles

I am about a week into the game and am really enjoying it. A lot to learn! Here is my question.

What do I do with Captains? I am going down the British line and for each shop I research.. I get a new Captain. 

Do I just keep doing this? Or do I pick one Captain and keep transferring him to each ship before I use him?

Or.. do I purchase a mid tier premium ship and use that Captain for everything?

Thanks so much for the help!

[SWACC]
Members
3 posts
2,500 battles

You can move captains around, but it costs either doubloons, credits and time, or time to retrain them. Until you get a bunch of captains, I'd just keep getting another one, UNLESS you dont plan on using the lower tier ship, then move him up.

Also you cant possibly be new, according to the forum trolls no one new is playing. :) 

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,152 posts
10,969 battles

getting that first 19pt captain is hard. the experience earned from 19pts can be used for other captains. so, until you get that first 19pt captains, keep moving that captain up through the tiers and playing that captain all the time... including, you can swap any tech tree captain into any (in country) premium boat, without re-training. 

• Cool 1

Members
19 posts
918 battles

Just had another thought... would it be wise to keep one Captain from each tech because of points..

example: 1 captain for Battleships, 1 for Destroyers, Cruisers, etc? And just keep reassigning?

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,152 posts
10,969 battles
1 minute ago, BatteredWife said:

Just had another thought... would it be wise to keep one Captain from each tech because of points..

example: 1 captain for Battleships, 1 for Destroyers, Cruisers, etc? And just keep reassigning?

that certainly one strategy. use flags and camo and event rewards to accelerate the captain training. the goal is to get 1 - frequently used 19pt captain... also keep an eye out for legendary captains that have unique buffs to the attribute choices... train those captains first.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,134 posts
4,970 battles

Once you bit maybe tier 5 or so, it becomes worthwhile to move one captain up the line as you progress. The points you keep will be far more valuable than the time lost retraining him to a new ship (provided you cant suplement this with doubloons)

And yes, I would try to keep captains seperate between BBs, CAs, and DDs. Different skills that just wont work with other classes (you dont need last stand on a BB but its crucial for DDs). Keep in mind though if you drop out of a line, you can always respec a commanders skills and move him to a different class (either via free respec sale or with some doubloons). It keeps the progress in terms of points, which if you get above 10 it's worth keeping. 

Get a 19 pointer that you will frequently use ASAP. He will earn you elite captain xp which can boost other captains or allow you to skip the retraining time. Also keep in mind operations will give you one 10 point captain (of a specific nation) for 4 or 5 starring the op.

Members
19 posts
918 battles
17 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

Once you bit maybe tier 5 or so, it becomes worthwhile to move one captain up the line as you progress. The points you keep will be far more valuable than the time lost retraining him to a new ship (provided you cant suplement this with doubloons)

And yes, I would try to keep captains seperate between BBs, CAs, and DDs. Different skills that just wont work with other classes (you dont need last stand on a BB but its crucial for DDs). Keep in mind though if you drop out of a line, you can always respec a commanders skills and move him to a different class (either via free respec sale or with some doubloons). It keeps the progress in terms of points, which if you get above 10 it's worth keeping. 

Get a 19 pointer that you will frequently use ASAP. He will earn you elite captain xp which can boost other captains or allow you to skip the retraining time. Also keep in mind operations will give you one 10 point captain (of a specific nation) for 4 or 5 starring the op.

I’ve been on tier 5 for two days so far and will no longer use another captain when I get to purchase my tier 6. 

should I dismiss my tier 4 and lower captains and just keep switching my Captain when I want to use that ship?

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,152 posts
10,969 battles
2 minutes ago, BatteredWife said:

should I dismiss my tier 4 and lower captains

no. only dismiss low pt captains to make space for high pt captains... you want to avoid swapping captains between tech tree ships because that gets costly. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles
11 minutes ago, Arcarsenal said:

You can move captains around, but it costs either doubloons, credits and time, or time to retrain them. Until you get a bunch of captains, I'd just keep getting another one, UNLESS you dont plan on using the lower tier ship, then move him up.

Also you cant possibly be new, according to the forum trolls no one new is playing. :) 

What I did, was just keep putting new captains on new ships until T4. At that point, it only takes a few games to make up for the skill level he'd have if ground up from T1.

From basically T4-T7, I retrained for the new ship, paying the 200k credits, and grinding the rest of the retraining with reduced abilities. For T8 and up, I would buy the smallest doubloon package, and instantly retrain him. Now, I typically was working a lot of lines at once, so if I came into two captains that both needed retraining, I'd spend dubs for one, and put the other line on the back burner for awhile.

Now that I have a few 19-pt captains, and a few free/coal premiums, I still move captains up with new ships, but now I just spend the 200k credits, and finish retraining on the premium, or spend elite XP.

I know many start new captains for new ships, but I like having my best captains on my highest tier ships. 

[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles
13 minutes ago, BatteredWife said:

should I dismiss my tier 4 and lower captains and just keep switching my Captain when I want to use that ship?

If they have any skill points, keep them around. You can put them on lower-tier ships you either keep or rebuy.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,001 posts
14,281 battles

Here is a post I made on creating your first 19 point captain. Bear in mind that this is a long-term thing requiring much application, perseverence and patience:

At your stage of the game, I would approach buying a premium ship with great hesitation. It's too easy to buy the wrong one too soon and then find you like other ships in other nations and the ship you bought is near-useless to you. I didn't buy premiums until I'd been in the game for nine months, and I would advise AT LEAST three and preferably six before putting any money down. 

I would also advise you at this stage to start developing multiple lines in parallel - cruisers, battleships and destroyers - and in different nations. The British cruisers in particular are difficult for beginners because the light cruisers lack HE shells and are sometimes disadvantaged in stacking up the damage numbers required to get high XP yields and advance quickly. I made that mistake, and only bloody-minded persistence got me through. The British heavies just came into the game at Tier 5 or above and do not have this disadvantage, but also lack the smokescreens their AP-only light colleagues get. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

Community Department
3,314 posts
1,300 battles
2 hours ago, RenamedUser_1038830073 said:

I am about a week into the game and am really enjoying it. A lot to learn! Here is my question.

What do I do with Captains? I am going down the British line and for each shop I research.. I get a new Captain. 

Do I just keep doing this? Or do I pick one Captain and keep transferring him to each ship before I use him?

I would recommend checking some guides about high tier ships. And start grinding needed perks from the 5-6th tiers always taking Captain to the next tier. This is how you will have better results with every next ship and easier life in a high tier battles.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
1 hour ago, CAPNATION said:

1 hour ago, skillztowin said:

that certainly one strategy. use flags and camo and event rewards to accelerate the captain training. the goal is to get 1 - frequently used 19pt captain... also keep an eye out for legendary captains that have unique buffs to the attribute choices... train those captains first.

I would say it is a must as that way they are building up captains for each type of ship although depending on the cruiser a BB captain may work fine.

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,427 battles
1 hour ago, RenamedUser_1038830073 said:

I’ve been on tier 5 for two days so far and will no longer use another captain when I get to purchase my tier 6. 

Not that I am all that experianced, but I moved my Captains up tier as I moved up to tier 5, 6, 7 (about as far as I have moved up the tech tree) for the ship classes DD ,CA, BB ect. If I want to use a lower tier ship in the line, it is costly (time or doubloons) to move them around so if I had a low tier ship I want to play I would dedicate a new captian for that ship. Lower point captians don't have as much disadvantage at lower tiers. And once you have a 19 point captain they generate elete XP that can be used to upgrade any captain. If you have a 0 point captain you can dissmiss them with no loss as you can recruit another at will.

Some people don't even keep their low tier ships. But I don't have enough for that to be an issue.

And you can have captains that are spected it very different ways for different gameplay experiment. But this forum can save time by reading others experiances.

If you have, or get premium ships through various means (Santa Crates and so forth) you can move one hight point captain to premium ships while having them trained for one tech tree ship. I have a French and IJN Captain that I move between one tech tree ship and two premium ships. Just remember premium ships might not be better in play than the tech tree ships some have challenging quirks.

On a personal note; I am very conservative in moving up tiers and lines so my experiance may not match your desires.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts

can get some 10pt captains (some have skills some don't) from armory using gold silver or coal, i picked up coal one :)

pro tip:  as a new player should get some free ship 2-3 day rentals as you progress, when that rental expires if captain slots are full it will give free slot to hold dismissed one. so send to reserve and/or recruit free captains to fill up those open slots before it does.

[TDRB]
Members
5,120 posts
13,731 battles
2 hours ago, CAPNATION said:

Yes, each class commanders have different needs. Some ship in the same tech tree need different commander builds.

WG does have events with special ships that comes with 19pt commanders. These commanders & ships are only available for use in that event. Space & Halloween are 2 such events. One of the perks of these events are all the commander point you earn are elite commander points which can be used on any commander.

Play as many of these events as you can to push your commanders skill levels.

Also there are no cost for moving commanders between premium ships. Use the same commander on as many premium ships as you can.

You progress so fast the beginning tiers your commander is almost always in training.

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I would also advise you at this stage to start developing multiple lines in parallel - cruisers, battleships and destroyers - and in different nations.

Quoting this for emphasis.  While it's a bit on off a tangent from your original question, it's extremely good advice for a new player and can't be repeated enough.

In regards to captains though, you're getting lots of good advice here.  My general rule of thumb is that sometime during tier 6 you want your captain to hit 10 skill points.  Preferably sooner, and most definitely before you move up to tier 7.  This is extremely important for any cruiser or destroyer, because Concealment Expert is an utterly vital skill for any ship that relies on stealth to disengage or attack from.  As you go up in tiers this will become extremely noticeable, and even differences of 500 meters in detection radius are very noticeable in gameplay - especially if you run up against the same ship on the other team that has CE and you don't.

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,336 battles
3 hours ago, CAPNATION said:

[SYN]
Members
1,232 posts
10,307 battles

Thanks so much

My strategy, once I thought long enough about it to develop a strategy, was to take the two 10-point captains that I had earned from the ARP event on my IJN dds. I kept one on each of the Mutsuki, and one on the  high tier ship. I played the T5 Mutsuki a lot to learn how to dd and the high tier to grind. Once I obtained the Shima, I put my two captains on the Yugumo and Shima.

These days, it seems like a lot of 10 point captains are available through a variety of means.  

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,336 battles

Some nation have BB and CA and DD and such that play different.
Have to learn nation ship, some need 2 kapatane, other do not

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,744 battles

I got captains for each ship type early on.. I moved them up with the ships as i moved up the tiers.  As i got "special" captains i made some changes but some of my lines have captains that started at the low tiers and are now at 10..

Still only 1 19 pt capt.. have a few 18 pt capt..  get there eventually.. LOL  my problem is i tend to play different ships all the time so i don't concentrate enough to actually move them up.

this means

USA DD - capt

USA Cruiser - Capt --> move up to next tier

USA BB - Capt --> move up etc.

IJN - DD capt

etc

Premiums and special capts tend to make you make changes.  Lot's of different ways to use capt's and mine is probably not the best way to do it...

Edited by S16_Hunter

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles

Here is what I do. Note, I keep all of my ships as I got a bunch of port slots cheap and I have lots of premiums, so grinding out Cmdr retraining is not a problem if I am low on ECXP.

For all the nations but IJN (special case), I have one Cmdr for each line that moves up that line to tier 10. Every nation has a dedicated Cmdr for each ship. Let's look at the UK for me.

Harold Walsh is my planned T10 Minotaur CL Cmdr and he is currently on Edinburgh. I have Bert Dunkirk as the Edinburgh permanent cmdr, so when I get Neptune, Harold Walsh will move to Neptune and then on to Minotaur.

Henry James is my planned T10 Conqueror BB Cmdr and he is currently on King George V. He will move up the line as I grind out the UK BBs. I have a permanent KGV Cmdr.

I have a Henry James (lots of nepotism in WoWs) who is at 19pt and he was destined for T10 Daring. With the IFHE changes meaning that IFHE is useless for the 113mm DD guns on Daring, I moved him to Jervis so that he can continue his work on Belfast. A 15pt Cmdr for Jervis is fine, so he doesn't miss the 4pt for IFHE that is not that useful on 120mm guns. So now Charles Taylor will be the Daring Cmdr and he is on Jutland. He will move to Daring when I get it.

Dart Norman is on the T8 Implacable CV and will move to Audacious when I get it.

I was going to have Jingles be the T10 Goliath CA Cmdr, but his mis-identifications got a little annoying for me. So he is staying as the permanent Cmdr at T6 Devonshire and Adrian Shaw will move up the line to T10.

All of the other Cmdrs who are permanently assigned to ships do not move around tech tree ships. A few are built to work on premium ships and I usually use the Cmdrs at T5-T7 for those types of atypical Cmdrs as those tiers don't necessarily require a high level Cmdr.

I have planned what I want my Cmdrs to look like when they get to the T10, so I can grab the skills I need as they move up the lines. This isn't hard when you only have a few Cmdrs, but quickly gets out of hand when you are grinding all the nations. I have a spreadsheet that @Counter_Gambit put together for me, so I can keep track of who is where, what they have, where they are going and what they need to get. If anyone wants a copy, just shoot me a PM.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,027 posts
13,273 battles
2 hours ago, skillztowin said:

no. only dismiss low pt captains to make space for high pt captains... you want to avoid swapping captains between tech tree ships because that gets costly. 

And the more skill points the captain has, the more costly the switching becomes.

I would also suggest that the OP send captains to reserve (if he has reserve space), rather than dismiss them. If the reserve starts to fill, then dismiss the least-skilled among them.

It’s good to have a number of “junk captains” on hand come “snowflake” events, so you don’t have to move around skilled captains.

• Cool 2