You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midshipman_Hornblower

0.9.3 - MM Improvements

32 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,757 battles

I just read the developer bulletin for update 0.9.3, which should be dropping in, what, about 3 weeks or so.  0.9.3 is still WIP, of course, but if the reality matches the plan...WG, I am HAPPY!

Many changes, but the ones that jumped out at me were tweaks to MM, and of those, the ones that made me sit up and pay attention involve CV games.  According the bulletin, 2 CV games will become much less common, and 3 CV games will be a thing of the past.  If that comes to pass, color me joyful.  But I suppose anyone who's read my previous posts about multiple CV games could have guessed that.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[YORHA]
Members
4,992 posts
9,977 battles

Would you have a link to the bulletin?

Thanks.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

I am happy to hear they are considering our complaints. As somebody who often players DDs or stealthy CAs I have long dreaded having 2-3 CVs in matches since 1 CV you can dodge drops or even avoid detection with some clever course maneuvering. But 2 CVs are a lot harder especially if they team up on you.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,704 posts

Sounds good, but it could turn out to be as "great" as the current HE/armor "improvement".

• Cool 1

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,335 battles

couple of patch ago was suppose to be MM Fix to prevent 6 CV game.

See how well that work out, no ?

[IRNBN]
Members
3,351 posts
9,701 battles

It all sounds good. Have to see how it plays out in PT tomorrow afternoon to know for sure.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,984 posts
14,272 battles
43 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

That's because it was a soft cap. This is going to be a hard cap, because they found the soft cap wasn't working.

It wasn't working because IMHO the grind from T4 to T6 CV is too long and keeps the T4 CV population artificially inflated. The cost to research a T4 carrier from the T4 DD is equivalent to that for a T5 ship. 68K XP to get to Tier 6 is too much.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,908 posts
8,162 battles
55 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

If you looked at the actual changes though, there were no hard limits, and the soft caps only affected T4 CVs in T5 matches. There was nothing in there that affected T3-4 matches at all, or even really necessarily changed anything for the higher tiers at all. And they never said they were trying to prevent 3 CV matches, just reduce their chance of happening.

It seems like they aren't satisfied with the results of the tweaks to CVs, or even the general MM tweaks (40% rule) that we got earlier, and are going to be more aggressive with actual hard caps.

It's one thing to say that tweaking should change things, but hard caps will change things.

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,335 battles

Problem is to many player seal clubbing with low CV --- if they want to make this super to stop

Make "Protected " player hard protect to tier 6

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,072 posts
19,197 battles

I have long since ceased to be amazed at the number of players who, with WGs track record of saying one thing and doing something completely different, still have faith in what the company says. Tell me, what did Santa bring you this year, and did the Easter Bunny leave lots of eggs?

• Cool 3

[NSEW]
Members
1,857 posts
10,673 battles
42 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

It all sounds good. Have to see how it plays out in PT tomorrow afternoon to know for sure.

Sadly, there just aren't enough players on the test servers to test the threshold per MM load.

How many times, have we drawn the short straw even at Tier 8 battles with 4CV games (wait time under minute).  Ironically, this is during prime time hours with at least 14,000 online players.  

The current modified system is not working. How will it work (be calculated in 0.9.3)? I have high doubts.  If going by past experiences.

Members
2,419 posts
5,345 battles

CVs are not OP according to some people on these forums, but WG gonna limit their number to basically 1 per side. Yeah...not OP at all🙄

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
1,439 posts
8,824 battles

It is nice whenever WG admits that the game experience suffers from too many CV's.

• Cool 3

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,757 battles
1 minute ago, Vaidency said:

It is nice whenever WG admits that the game experience suffers from too many CV's.

Obviously, I agree.  Yes, we'll have to see how it works in actual practice.  I DO have some concerns about wait time for CV players.  But it certainly sounds like an improvement for me (cruiser player).  And, if nothing else, it tells me some one at WG actually IS listening.  Or, at a minimum, their models and data told them the same thing many players have been telling them.  Either way, good news from my cruiser perspective.

[-V1-]
Beta Testers
180 posts
7,755 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I am happy to hear they are considering our complaints. As somebody who often players DDs or stealthy CAs I have long dreaded having 2-3 CVs in matches since 1 CV you can dodge drops or even avoid detection with some clever course maneuvering. But 2 CVs are a lot harder especially if they team up on you.

yea this should be good but we will see and heck 1 cv is still really bad enough when your in something like a west virginia 1941 and you spend the whole match trying to dodge and keep up with faster teammates, this was a tier 8 match as was the cv a tier 8 so i died did jack crap for damage and ended up saying things to the cv that lead to my first chat ban and apparently saying holy crap there's two of the was used as material for the ban lol. it's so fun to be farmed with no way to fight back but run and hope they turn there attention elsewhere. if not for the fact i got wv1941 in a christmas crate i'd have never bought it same goes for viribus unitius

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 minute ago, Blitzkrieger said:

yea this should be good but we will see and heck 1 cv is still really bad enough when your in something like a west virginia 1941 and you spend the whole match trying to dodge and keep up with faster teammates, this was a tier 8 match as was the cv a tier 8 so i died did jack crapfor damage and ended up saying things to the cv that lead to my first chat ban and apparently saying holy crap there's two of the was used as material for the ban lol.

Lol if you want to get even with CVs you could always of tried my method when French DDs first came out I was zooming right across the map and taking the CV or CVs down first thing. Gave those CV players something to think about lol. Naturally the French DDs have seen some nerfs, possibly because I was not the only one pulling that stunt lol.

But yeah I pity ships that I know have very weak AA on them. And it’s those ships that are part of the reason I am against CVs being in matches as the CVs can effectively be excluding some nice ships on the grounds of AA not being good enough.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,908 posts
8,162 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

I have long since ceased to be amazed at the number of players who, with WGs track record of saying one thing and doing something completely different, still have faith in what the company says. Tell me, what did Santa bring you this year, and did the Easter Bunny leave lots of eggs?

Hey, as long as my absent father keeps sending me an allowance cheque, I'm not heartbroken that he keeps promising to show up on weekends but never does...

[WOLFG]
Members
28,908 posts
8,162 battles
2 hours ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Or, at a minimum, their models and data told them the same thing many players have been telling them.  

They kind of have to wait for that.

"Many players" tell them all kinds of things, and the game would be like the car that Homer Simpson designed for his long-lost brother's auto company, if WG listened to all of them.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,704 posts
2 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

CVs are not OP according to some people on these forums, but WG gonna limit their number to basically 1 per side. Yeah...not OP at all🙄

A thing can be unfun to play against, or disruptive to gameplay if it takes up too much of the roster, without being OP.

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
4,992 posts
9,977 battles
2 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

It's not about being OP,  it's about spotting.  Lower tier maps are smaller and with 2 or more CVs on each side there is no concealment possible.

Members
4,453 posts
19,415 battles
4 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Sounds good, but it could turn out to be as "great" as the current HE/armor "improvement".

I, for one, am leery of any/all of WG's proposed "improvements". 

Hell, I might even start playing Randoms again if I don't have to put up with more than one chicken coop per team. Emphasis on "might".

Edited by ReddNekk