Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Snargfargle

Bill Gates Warned Of a Global Viral Outbreak -- Five Years Ago

6 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

7,836
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts

"You could have a virus where people feel well enough to get on a plane while infected." -- Bill Gates, 2015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,480
[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,090 battles

Not exactly a tough prediction.  People have been predicting for mega-outbreaks for ages.

While he's on point, let's not paint Bill Gates as some kind of unique visionary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,836
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Not exactly a tough prediction.  People have been predicting for mega-outbreaks for ages.

While he's on point, let's not paint Bill Gates as some kind of unique visionary.

A person smart enough to found one of the largest companies on Earth and make over a hundred billion dollars in the process probably should be listened to. It's not that he is an expert on epidemiology per se but he is an expert on analyzing market trends and seeing where other companies are falling short so that he can exploit the situation and fill the gaps with his own product. Using those skills, he noticed that the world's governments were falling short in their capability to respond to an airborne viral outbreak. He was not wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,361
[WOLFG]
Members
9,560 posts
8,505 battles
13 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

A person smart enough to found one of the largest companies on Earth and make over a hundred billion dollars in the process probably should be listened to. It's not that he is an expert on epidemiology per se but he is an expert on analyzing market trends and seeing where other companies are falling short so that he can exploit the situation and fill the gaps with his own product. Using those skills, he noticed that the world's governments were falling short in their capability to respond to an airborne viral outbreak. He was not wrong.

All true, but predicting that governments aren't going to respond well to a fast moving situation really only requires a reading of history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,480
[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,090 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

All true, but predicting that governments aren't going to respond well to a fast moving situation really only requires a reading of history.

Exactly.  Just because Bill Gates predicted something pretty easily predictable doesn't make him any kind of prophet.  History has shown our vulnerability to disaster and epidemic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×