You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

Why are detonations still a thing?

94 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,702 posts

They are not a fun game mechanic. "But detonations happened in real life!" some might say. Yeah, and? This is an arcade game, not a simulator, and losing your ship when you still have 75% of your health left due to the roll of a set of invisible dice is not an enjoyable experience. 

Having to run the Juliet Charlie signal flag to avoid having a 'Fun and engaging experience' is not fun since it takes up a signal flag slot. Just get rid of detonations. The only people who would likely get upset by their removal would be a very vocal minority anyways.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 11

Members
2,842 posts
8,870 battles

When you are in a mood to take out the Krasny Creme like I occasionally do they are real

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,383 posts
14,152 battles

Don't waste flags on regular play. Instead use Magazine Mod 1 in slot one for -70%. Yes there is a chance but they will not be common which they actually are not when you look at how often they actually happen with no flag or upgrade.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles

For one, I imagine WG's early code is spaghetti. Good luck removing them in a timely manner, and that's time spent not doing more useful things.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

I like them.   If you don't want to get detonated, play CV

• Funny 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,724 posts
11,706 battles

Detonations aren't random roll of the dice as much as made out to be. That said, they are relatively fun, and necessary for both the game and genre. 

We have to remember, though arcade many push it to be, WoWs has to remain true to the nature of a modern warfare arcadulator. Not some Streetfighter knock off.

• Boring 2

[WOOK3]
Members
4,212 posts
3,235 battles

I would like them better if the animation was over the top. I don't like them but there's a whole host of things I would like fixed first.

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Members
559 posts
6,213 battles
7 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

For one, I imagine WG's early code is spaghetti. Good luck removing them in a timely manner, and that's time spent not doing more useful things.

their current code is probably post digestion spaghetti

• Funny 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles
1 minute ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

their current code is probably post digestion spaghetti

Right? It took them this long to add demount all signals... and I doubt it's for lack of attempts over the years, but a lack of ability to reasonably do so without a lot of work. WoWS freezes up for a moment when removing a single signal. That speaks worlds.

[SALVO]
Members
4,321 posts
3,749 battles

Yes detonations are still a thing. Had 2 in like 20 matches (but all in squishy CLs). Yes in the inmediate aftermath the salt is real, but it washes away soon. There are more grievous things in the game, like the RNG trollish drunken dispersion set for the entire match.

• Cool 2

[-KIA-]
Members
559 posts
6,213 battles
12 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Right? It took them this long to add demount all signals... and I doubt it's for lack of attempts over the years, but a lack of ability to reasonably do so without a lot of work. WoWS freezes up for a moment when removing a single signal. That speaks worlds.

One look into WGs source code and you’d probably give up programming forever.

• Cool 1

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles
23 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Destinations aren't random roll of the dice as much as made out to be. That said, they are relatively fun, and necessary for both the game and genre. 

We have to remember, though arcade many push it to be, WoWs has to remain true to the nature of a modern warfare arcadulator. Not some Streetfighter knock off.

Yes they are. The only way they're not a dice roll is when dispersion on main guns is also not a dice roll. A shell just happens to "dispersion" into that one spot and happens to roll good damage and you get "fun and engaged".

• Boring 1

[O_O]
Members
6,425 posts
15,262 battles
45 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

The only people who would likely get upset by their removal would be a very vocal minority anyways.

Look in the mirror.  There is ANOTHER very vocal minority.

A mechanic that occurs around 1% of the time is going to have a few that hate it, a few that are for it, and a very large majority who don't care...because it happens 1% of their games.

Edited by desmo_2

[APES]
Members
1,488 posts
8,308 battles

From a logical standpoint, they are absurd.  Matches can be lost because someone on your team does not have a flag on?  From a financial view, I think they get people to use flags more.  I mean when was the last time you only used a det. flag?  So it is a mechanism that get people to use flags.  I cannot think of any other logical reason to have a flag make or break something so important.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles
1 hour ago, Zaydin said:

They are not a fun game mechanic. "But detonations happened in real life!" some might say. Yeah, and? This is an arcade game, not a simulator, and losing your ship when you still have 75% of your health left due to the roll of a set of invisible dice is not an enjoyable experience. 

Having to run the Juliet Charlie signal flag to avoid having a 'Fun and engaging experience' is not fun since it takes up a signal flag slot. Just get rid of detonations. The only people who would likely get upset by their removal would be a very vocal minority anyways.

Tell you what- I'll take every detonation of yours if you take every carrier away from me.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,152 battles

Oh come on, you know when you det someone you just go roflm40

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,070 posts
19,197 battles
1 hour ago, Zaydin said:

A). They ARE a fun game mechanic for the player DOING the detonating, so that one sort of balances out.

B). Arcade game or no, removing ships quickly shortens the match, which WG likes and promotes, so probably not a big concern to them.

C). It's ONE GAME, pull up your big boy pants, dry your salty tears, and move on to the next match.

• Cool 6

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
545 posts
3,605 battles

Doesn't bother me at all. Sure it's a surprise and it sucks, but hey, you get some free Det flags out of it. :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

A). They ARE a fun game mechanic for the player DOING the detonating, so that one sort of balances out.

B). Arcade game or no, removing ships quickly shortens the match, which WG likes and promotes, so probably not a big concern to them.

C). It's ONE GAME, pull up your big boy pants, dry your salty tears, and move on to the next match.

Because a bad mechanic that happens every once in a while for no other reason than RNG is magically not bad. It would be very easy for it not to be a bad mechanic if it was...just not a mechanic at all.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,070 posts
19,197 battles
6 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

Because a bad mechanic that happens every once in a while for no other reason than RNG is magically not bad. It would be very easy for it not to be a bad mechanic if it was...just not a mechanic at all.

A). It would be very easy for CVs not to be a problem if they were just removed. See that happening anytime soon?

B). WG likes detonations, so for them they are not a problem, they are a solution to a problem; how to make matches end quicker. WG likes and wants that. 

See them being removed anytime soon? No? Then get used to them. It's one game, suck it up and move on.

[SALVO]
Members
24,764 posts
25,773 battles
1 hour ago, Wombatmetal said:

I would like them better if the animation was over the top. I don't like them but there's a whole host of things I would like fixed first.

I agree that the animation for a ship detonating should be MUCH more spectacular.  At the same time, I think that the animation for ships being "destroyed" is rather over the top. Ships don't always explode when they going to sink.  They might.  Or they might just roll over and slip under the waves in a thoroughly UN-spectacular manner.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
1 hour ago, kishan99 said:

I like them.   If you don't want to get detonated, play CV

Agree with that, although a detonation really should be and awesome event.  I'd love WG to up the graphical representation of a detonation in game, BOOOOOM! x3.