You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

The Agony and Ecstasy of ranked play...

20 comments in this topic

Members
6,621 posts
20,677 battles

Our Protagonist,  God bless him..... is trying to torp the Fletcher in his Assashio… twice. I want so badly to take him under my wing, help him, nurture him show him right from wrong......And then the game ends and he out performs me and is basically where I am in ranked play...…. Really makes you wonder..... literally about everything I stand for.....Sweet baby cheeses I give up....

V9vUoiT.png

mMy7qVL.png

[WOLFG]
Members
29,104 posts
8,332 battles
16 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Our Protagonist,  God bless him..... is trying to torp the Fletcher in his Assashio… twice. 

To be fair, it wouldn't be totally out of the question for the Fletcher to try to avoid those torps, and wind up beached lol.

Members
6,621 posts
20,677 battles
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

To be fair, it wouldn't be totally out of the question for the Fletcher to try to avoid those torps, and wind up beached lol.

Agreed. I have seen players that have the worst stats imaginable and rank 3  while it has taken me 25 (games) to 6 or 4...…..

Not really, it's been like 85 games but If there are any Chicago fans out there.... that was pretty good huh?

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,104 posts
8,332 battles
8 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Agreed. I have seen players that have the worst stats imaginable and rank 3  while it has taken me 25 (games) to 6 or 4...…..

Not really, it's been like 85 games but If there are any Chicago fans out there.... that was pretty good huh?

I've gotten to 10 in 19 games, but I'm scared to go further lol.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,680 posts
7,502 battles

Got to 7 from 14 in 62 battles and lost the desire to do more. The endless parade of backline farming Thunderers and suicidal DDs/cruisers makes me die inside. I'll get the last of the steel for Stalingrad next season.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,735 battles
15 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

25 (games) to 6 or 4

you sir, deserve a :cap_like:

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,735 battles
8 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I've gotten to 10 in 19 games, but I'm scared to go further lol.

I got to 10 quick. Then decided this season to push on, and on, and on to see where I am able to go.

187 games later I'm at rank 11. I think that is a fair account. Speaking for myself I used to think there was some magic formula or answer that just had eluded me. I came to the realization it is my skill level. I've spoken to people who rank out on a regular basis and to their credit. They are just that good. I spoke with a couple in voice. I did notice one thing glaringly that stood out. They process information a LOT faster than me. One used to be in our clan. When we would division he would actually get bored with his own fight he was engaged with, then would be offering suggestions on what I was facing simultaneously. I was like, wow lol.

[RLGN]
Members
14,319 posts
25,257 battles
4 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Speaking for myself I used to think there was some magic formula or answer that just had eluded me. I came to the realization it is my skill level. I've spoken to people who rank out on a regular basis and to their credit. They are just that good. I spoke with a couple in voice. I did notice one thing glaringly that stood out. They process information a LOT faster than me. One used to be in our clan. When we would division he would actually get bored with his own fight he was engaged with, then would be offering suggestions on what I was facing simultaneously. I was like, wow lol.

This is EXACTLY why I never try to push much beyond Rank 15.

I think I might possibly be good enough to reach the next irrevocable, (12? 10?) but I don’t have the patience to deal with yoyoing which would still occur.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,735 battles
16 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I don’t have the patience to deal with yoyoing which would still occur.

It can be frustrating, yes. Same with me.

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,484 battles
49 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I came to the realization it is my skill level.

If you are trying to be a team member, you don't have the skills. First place team member is the only skill needed really. I like to play my battles as a team and the actual best place to do that is in Co op. It's true and of course subject to opinion but I see more team work in Co op than any other mode, except maybe clans which I don't do and shouldn't they be called Fleet battles or something Navy oriented. I mean hey, copy other games much, no imagination? Clan is so Mech Warrior.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,104 posts
8,332 battles
16 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I did notice one thing glaringly that stood out. They process information a LOT faster than me.

I think that might be why I seem to do better in Ranked than Randoms.

With fewer ships, there's less info to process. I noticed that the only ships I had trouble keeping track of and anticipating were the DDs, and I still was always aware of their general location.

I find exponentially less "oh crap, where'd that guy come from?" than in Randoms.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,752 battles
16 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Speaking for myself I used to think there was some magic formula or answer that just had eluded me. I came to the realization it is my skill level.

Bout sums it up for me as well, got to 12, and stopped. Usually i try to get to 10.. I figure with a little luck i can do that but i hit a good streak to get to 12 and decided i was not going to push the issue. Sure i'd like to continue to see what i could get to but don't need the stress..  and honestly my interest in the game has dropped off some.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,735 battles
32 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I think that might be why I seem to do better in Ranked than Randoms

ironically I am the exact opposite. Smaller matches of ranked seems to be where I do worst. I am just average in random. I'm below average to bad in ranked.

[HKC]
Members
604 posts
18 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Not a great player, but last ranked I was swept along 7 games in a row to number 1.   

This rank I've seen many a similar action as in your post. Inexplicable.   The boosts really don't encourage careful play.

Oddly I see GKs making so many bad choices that I just come to expect it now.  Are they just really  hard to make work? And if so, why take them into ranked?

[HKC]
Members
604 posts
16 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It's true and of course subject to opinion but I see more team work in Co op than any other mode

Of course: in coop the enemy drives straight at you. Planning and coordinating to counter a team of yolos - that do basically the same thing every battle -  takes seconds, and is highly effective.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,104 posts
8,332 battles
5 minutes ago, Viva_Palestine said:

Oddly I see GKs making so many bad choices that I just come to expect it now.  Are they just really  hard to make work? And if so, why take them into ranked?

Could be all they have available. I only have Hindy, (had GK but sold it) and if I die in a match, I have to wait. If I did still have GK, even though I don't really like it, (or play it well) I'd still play it, just to avoid waiting.

[SLDR]
Members
253 posts
10,140 battles
19 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Our Protagonist,  God bless him..... is trying to torp the Fletcher in his Assashio… twice. 

If I remember the name right, this Asashio captain was on my team in Ranked a couple of days ago, driving a Shimakaze.  He sank 5, had a double strike, and also got dev strike and high caliber.  He single-handedly reversed the game, turning a route into a victory.  I myself was sunk early and walked away from the PC in disgust.  I was so shocked by the victory when I walked back, that I logged out and watched the replay.

This guy was no neophyte.  

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
807 posts
7,176 battles

I saw, maybe a week or two ago, where Flambass or Flamu tried to go from rank 2 to rank 1. Eight hours later, still at rank 2. 

[SYN]
Members
1,233 posts
10,345 battles
3 hours ago, S16_Hunter said:

Bout sums it up for me as well, got to 12, and stopped. Usually i try to get to 10.. I figure with a little luck i can do that but i hit a good streak to get to 12 and decided i was not going to push the issue. Sure i'd like to continue to see what i could get to but don't need the stress..  and honestly my interest in the game has dropped off some.

I try to get to 10. I can usually do that without devoting a lifetime to it, and I get a good start on the next ranked season. I can string three and  four games together, but six and eight are beyond me.

21 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Our Protagonist,  God bless him..... is trying to torp the Fletcher in his Assashio… twice. I want so badly to take him under my wing, help him, nurture him show him right from wrong......And then the game ends and he out performs me and is basically where I am in ranked play...…. Really makes you wonder..... literally about everything I stand for.....Sweet baby cheeses I give up....

I have always been fascinated by the DDs, usually at T5 and T6 that launch DW torps at my DD.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,752 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

I have always been fascinated by the DDs, usually at T5 and T6 that launch DW torps at my DD

I actually do this on purpose some times.  Usually i'll do it if i think that i can't sustain the gun fight..  Launching the torps tends to make folks flinch or react before seriously thinking about "what" is launching at them :)  it can give you a brief respite and or a chance to make a change in course without taking serious broadside shots :)