You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kyesac

Do the European DDs all fly under the EU flag or

20 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
648 posts
18,812 battles

do they fly the flag under the country they served?  I question the T6 Vasteras that was built in Sweden but served for Poland.

[CWM]
[CWM]
Members
609 posts
6,288 battles

OSTERGOTLAND.thumb.png.80031a9c144db7a3d5fa505004cd8b1e.pngThey’re all Sweden 🇸🇪 according to WG. At least the early access ones are. If you get on go to flags and you can pick the EU flag or the national flag for the ship. Same goes for Pan Asia line. 

Edited by Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf

[WOLF3]
Members
26,992 posts
23,790 battles
1 minute ago, Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf said:

They’re all Sweden 🇸🇪 according to WG. At least the early access ones are. If you get on go to flags and you can pick the EU flag or the national flag for the ship. Same goes for Pan Asia line. 

Pretty much this, at least with the PADDs and Tier V EU / IKEA DD that I have.  Even Lo Yang, i.e. USS Benson, can have the option for her ROCN flag to be flown instead of the generic Pan Asia flag.

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
3 minutes ago, Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf said:

They’re all Sweden 🇸🇪 according to WG. At least the early access ones are. If you get on go to flags and you can pick the EU flag or the national flag for the ship. Same goes for Pan Asia line. 

That's correct with the exception of the first EU DD. Also, the cruiser isn't Swedish.

[CWM]
[CWM]
Members
609 posts
6,288 battles

Is there any significance to the Sweden flag having the pointed ends instead of a rectangular shape on a ship?

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,134 posts
4,970 battles

In terms of tech tree, captains, missions, and so on, they are pan European. However, as others have said you can mount their national flag, but it's nothing more than cosmetic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,505 posts
13,885 battles
34 minutes ago, Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf said:

OSTERGOTLAND.thumb.png.80031a9c144db7a3d5fa505004cd8b1e.pngThey’re all Sweden 🇸🇪 according to WG. At least the early access ones are. If you get on go to flags and you can pick the EU flag or the national flag for the ship. Same goes for Pan Asia line. 

37 minutes ago, kyesac said:

do they fly the flag under the country they served?  I question the T6 Vasteras that was built in Sweden but served for Poland.

Aloha,

They are not all Swedish actually, there are a couple Polish DD's in the line and I believe 1 Dutch ship in the line. The EU ships are including a wide range of countries that didn't have significant warship production to warrant an entire national category of their own.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
23 minutes ago, Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf said:

Is there any significance to the Sweden flag having the pointed ends instead of a rectangular shape on a ship?

That's just the shape of the actual Swedish Naval Ensign, Norway is the same way among others.

In some countries the different shapes of the naval ensigns, along with variations of the pattern/image on the flag itself would indicate the rank of the officer in charge of the ship, or that of the squadron or fleet commander was on board. Some countries will fly both a national flag and a naval ensign, and some will just fly one or the other.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,865 posts
16,247 battles
37 minutes ago, Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf said:

It's an Ensign ... and they are not always the same as a Nation's flag.  From Wiki:

An ensign is the national flag flown on a vessel to indicate citizenry. The ensign is the largest flag, generally flown at the stern (rear) of the ship while in port. The naval ensign (also known as war ensign), used on warships, may be different from the civil ensign (merchant ships) or the yacht ensign (recreational boats). Large versions of naval ensigns called battle ensigns are used when a warship goes into battle. The ensign differs from the jack which is flown from a jackstaff at the bow of a vessel.

edit Another example for ya ... this is the Ensign I would fly at the stern of my sail boat ... not the US National Flag

100px-United_States_yacht_flag.svg.png

Edited by DocWalker
added info

[GRAVE]
Members
1,260 posts
18,743 battles
22 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

They are not all Swedish actually,

the T1 is Polish (nobody cares about it) the T2 is Austro-Hungarian (nobody cares about it) the T3 is Italian Designed but served in Sweden, the T4 is Swedish, the T5 is Swedish, the T6 is Swedish designed, as is the T7, and T8-10 are Swedish. In summary, the line deserves its name as the Swedish DDs, cause 8 out of 9 DDs are Swedish.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,004 posts
22,002 battles
36 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

the T1 is Polish (nobody cares about it) the T2 is Austro-Hungarian (nobody cares about it) the T3 is Italian Designed but served in Sweden, the T4 is Swedish, the T5 is Swedish, the T6 is Swedish designed, as is the T7, and T8-10 are Swedish. In summary, the line deserves its name as the Swedish DDs, cause 8 out of 9 DDs are Swedish.

Gives me hope for a Dutch line. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
76 posts
1 hour ago, tfcas119 said:

but is pan-european maybe the dd line is swedish but we can say that eventually the cruiser and battleships line will be of other nations even if they are like the russian paper fleet. at least i have in my mind that the t7 or t8 bb will be that dutch project 1047, even the turks and spanish had some good designs to make to t9 at least

also the t5 premium is austro-hungarian and the t7 premium is a polish

• Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Members
648 posts
18,812 battles

Thanks all.  Looks like I will be adding to the Polish Navy at least one ship.

Lolii_dime_papi said:

the t7 premium is a polish  - The Polish already have a T7 premium so they will have 2?

[SALVO]
Members
24,776 posts
25,829 battles
4 hours ago, Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf said:

I gotta say that I'm not particularly impressed by the special 3 stars perma-camo.  It doesn't feel particularly special to me.  Mind you, the overall darkish green palette is fine by me.  That 3 stars on a gold emblem thingy is sorta meh.  It doesn't have the class of the RN's Victorian camo theme, or a Great White Fleet camo for the USN, if WG would get off their butts and make one for the USN.

I will say though that I guess that a green themed camo makes sense for a navy (Swedish) whose primary area of operation of the Baltic.  So it does have that going for it.

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

I gotta say that I'm not particularly impressed by the special 3 stars perma-camo.  It doesn't feel particularly special to me.  Mind you, the overall darkish green palette is fine by me.  That 3 stars on a gold emblem thingy is sorta meh.  It doesn't have the class of the RN's Victorian camo theme, or a Great White Fleet camo for the USN, if WG would get off their butts and make one for the USN.

I will say though that I guess that a green themed camo makes sense for a navy (Swedish) whose primary area of operation of the Baltic.  So it does have that going for it.

Jesus.

(a) It's crowns, not stars.

(b) does this make it any clearer?

aj37-viggen-with-splinter-pattern-camouflage-www-dappa-nl.jpg?w=600

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Or this:

cl-tre-kronor-1964-70-camo-shipbucket.png

Or what about this one:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSKiHrOapGQO8C_UmSZJCTnd4xU2-qK2SUaqdSiCA4yZCVyl-Jb

In case it's not clear by now, the three crowns are the symbol of Sweden, and those colors are very typical of Swedish camouflage patterns.

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO

[CWM]
[CWM]
Members
609 posts
6,288 battles

I like the green camo theme. I don’t think these ships were meant to go out into open waters. I think they were intended as coastal patrol ships but I’m not sure. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,914 posts
26,891 battles
40 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Jesus.

(a) It's crowns, not stars.

(b) does this make it any clearer?

aj37-viggen-with-splinter-pattern-camouflage-www-dappa-nl.jpg?w=600

Saab Viggen, one of my all time fav jets. And yeah, that was the thing I thought about the moment I have seen the premium camo for the boats.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,001 posts
14,281 battles
8 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

does this make it any clearer?

Should sit just fine alongside my Blyskawica with the 303 Sqn camo!!!

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Should sit just fine alongside my Blyskawica with the 303 Sqn camo!!!

The 303 looks good, but I gotta say- I'm a little disappointed that the winged hussar camo didn't win. That one was just absolutely gorgeous.