You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ClassicLib

Fun Low Tier CV Match

14 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
3,050 posts
16,750 battles

People who know me will be thinking I have a high fever

unknown.png

Poor CVs didn't know who to attack

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,199 battles
9 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Confused and inept CV drivers; LOL, certainly THAT has never happened before!

• Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,050 posts
16,750 battles
Just now, Umikami said:

This particular battle had 7 DDs a side and one poor T4 CV per side.  It was a DD seal clubbing fest and the CVs had almost no effect on the outcome.  DDs were doing their own spotting and going head-to-head.  Sometimes it was 1 v 3 and 2 v 3 DDs.

The CV and BB comments at the beginning of the battle were hilarious.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,413 posts
14,163 battles
19 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

People who know me will be thinking I have a high fever

unknown.png

Not many "soft" ie easy targets to attack for the CV players. On the OP's team the two Iron Duke's and the Wakeful and on the red team Minikaze, Iron Duke, and the V-170. Everything else is going to at least hurt the attacking planes.

[WORX]
Members
10,621 posts
18,506 battles

Tier 4 and 5 are like that, you either

• Get a CV that can't eliminate a DD to save himself  OR
  • You get a CV that can clear the board of CVs.

One thing for sure, Since it was Random... You will not have that situation happen twice in a row...

[WOLFG]
Members
28,940 posts
8,200 battles

I played two back-to-back CV games last night, with the same CV opponent.

Both games, he tried to snipe me the whole game, only attacking other targets if they were near his flight path.

I basically ignored him, except that if I saw him coming when I was launching a squadron, I'd drop an extra fighter on my CV. 

I think the 2nd game, he actually got me down to 1/3 HP, but by then he was only sending single-plane squadrons lol.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,199 battles
4 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

This particular battle had 7 DDs a side and one poor T4 CV per side.  It was a DD seal clubbing fest and the CVs had almost no effect on the outcome.  DDs were doing their own spotting and going head-to-head.  Sometimes it was 1 v 3 and 2 v 3 DDs.

The CV and BB comments at the beginning of the battle were hilarious.

NO type of ship should dominate any match, which is why there should be hard caps for every type of ship, DDs Cruisers, BBs, and CVs. We could probably get a majority of players to agree with this. Where the wailing, gnashing of teeth and salt delivery would come into it would be the determination of what those hard cap numbers should be. Pick your battles wisely!

[-V1-]
Beta Testers
180 posts
7,773 battles
7 hours ago, Umikami said:

maybe they're new and not super unicums looking to stat pad lol also so many dd's not sure a unicum would be able to come out on top with that many running around

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,199 battles
8 minutes ago, Blitzkrieger said:

maybe they're new

Yeah, like I said; confused and inept, both of which go hand in hand with inexperienced. 

[-V1-]
Beta Testers
180 posts
7,773 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Yeah, like I said; confused and inept, both of which go hand in hand with inexperienced. 

i've actively stopped playing tier 4-5 much just feels wrong beating up on new players with good captains and op ships i might take them out once in a while but not often. but people who regrind without breaking bank or those trying a new line are excused

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,199 battles
6 minutes ago, Blitzkrieger said:

i've actively stopped playing tier 4-5 much just feels wrong beating up on new players with good captains and op ships

Well, you have to do whatever feels right for you, but having said that those new guys had better get used to more experienced players in ships with more upgrades and Captains skills because that isn't going to change at all between tier 5 and tier 10. You're not doing them any favors by NOT playing against them; the guy taking the slot you would have had probably has as much experience as you do if not more. This is the reason WG sells lower tier premiums; are the players who bought or won them NOT supposed to play them? Unfortunately, once you graduate from protected MM into "combat" MM it's a sink or swim scenario, and the faster the new guys learn the happier they will be.

[INTEL]
Members
3,050 posts
16,750 battles
56 minutes ago, Blitzkrieger said:

i've actively stopped playing tier 4-5 much just feels wrong beating up on new players with good captains and op ships i might take them out once in a while but not often. but people who regrind without breaking bank or those trying a new line are excused

Tier 9 & 6 are what I play most these days as these have been the most comfortable after the latest MM changes. I’ll also play T10 and occasionally T7 as I have a lot of favorite ships there. But I get a lot of T9 battles playing a T7 ship and while I can do ok in some of those ships, it’s getting even tougher playing some of the T7 cruisers. 
As for playing T5, I do at times take out destroyers when I’ve had a bad losing streak.  Destroyer play is pretty competitive at T5 much of the time.  It also hones my play in CV heavy matches and mentally it gets me back in the game after being frustrated at high tier play. 

[-V1-]
Beta Testers
180 posts
7,773 battles
2 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

Tier 9 & 6 are what I play most these days as these have been the most comfortable after the latest MM changes. I’ll also play T10 and occasionally T7 as I have a lot of favorite ships there. But I get a lot of T9 battles playing a T7 ship and while I can do ok in some of those ships, it’s getting even tougher playing some of the T7 cruisers. 
As for playing T5, I do at times take out destroyers when I’ve had a bad losing streak.  Destroyer play is pretty competitive at T5 much of the time.  It also hones my play in CV heavy matches and mentally it gets me back in the game after being frustrated at high tier play. 

it just doesn't feel right to club the new guys and it feels like it might be hurting player retention. if not for the fact i've played since closed beta i'd have quit at tier 5 because i sit and think about how the average guy thinks and it can be quite the crap show for those trying to learn. like this match in the visby with at least a ten point captain i got this result easy

shot-20.03.12_01.47.10-0606.jpg

[INTEL]
Members
3,050 posts
16,750 battles
6 hours ago, Blitzkrieger said:

it just doesn't feel right to club the new guys and it feels like it might be hurting player retention. if not for the fact i've played since closed beta i'd have quit at tier 5 because i sit and think about how the average guy thinks and it can be quite the crap show for those trying to learn. like this match in the visby with at least a ten point captain i got this result easy

Many of these players aren't new guys.  I pay attention mostly to the DDs as that's what I tend to play there and at least half of those players have more than 2,000 battles.  I spent a fair amount of time playing at T5 when I wasn't very good at the game but now it's much less frequent.  And I'm just above average now so it's not like I'm a unicum that has a 65%+ WR at T5.  I can certainly influence battles there but I often come up against better players there and while my WR at T5 is certainly higher than T10, it's not a lot more than my overall WR.  And, I find myself being clubbed occasionally.

I get your point about player retention but I look back at my experience when I was new to the game and getting my ship handed to me on a regular basis.  It spurred me to be a better player and learn how to play like the big boys.  I'm not there yet but I'm comfortable where I'm at.  And many (most?) players are not even into it to get good, they're just here to shoot boats.