You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Smaland Review - Worth the 2 million FXP for a DD Main

73 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,671 posts
6,347 battles

She's a great DD hunter and has a pretty impressive offensive array of weapons at her disposal.  She's the type of ship that actually helps the team.

• Cool 3
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 3

0 posts

But I have seen Hayate in a battle today, I guess she will be sold for 2 million free xp too. In your opinion, for a dd player, is it worth waiting for Hayate, or is Smal really more useful? 

[KWF]
Members
4,377 posts
6,405 battles

1 mil FXP is the upper limit I will get, 2 mil is just silly and a sign of further FXP inflation, regardless of the ship. 

Now if WG wants to dangle a new carrot more power to them, but I don't see any point.

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,180 battles
3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

1 mil FXP is the upper limit I will get, 2 mil is just silly and a sign of further FXP inflation, regardless of the ship. 

Now if WG wants to dangle a new carrot more power to them, but I don't see any point.

I agree 2 mil is silly but what I'm going to do with 2.3 million FXP I have . There's not a lot of options I like to use it for besides new ships .

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,155 posts
11,036 battles

increasing that vast deep trench between new player and veteran player. yup. no new player will look at that and say anything but... "wth, my t3 battle gave me 200 FXP.... looks like an endless grind game .... time to play another game." 

Edited by skillztowin
  • Cool 8

[UN1]
Members
1,218 posts
3,659 battles

For 2 million FXP I can just research the Halland (once it's officially released) and still have over a million FXP left.  Buy me a permanent camo and it's just like having the Smaland, only I can't transfer captains, but it's the same economic earnings potential. 

[WOLFG]
Members
551 posts
12,655 battles

I will never be able to earn enough Free XP to get the Smaland because I always use the free XP for going up the tech tree because of my impatience... but... I could always get 100,000 Research Points and buy the Free XP in the Research Bureau. :cap_like: 

Was pretty easy getting the Ohio.

0 posts
4 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

but... I could always get 100,000 Research Points and buy the Free XP in the Research Bureau.

:Smile_unsure:

5 x tech tree reset (minimum, if you only reset one tech tree per RB season for the x2 bonus), is a lot of grinding, by the time you have played through 5 x reset tech trees, it is quite possible you will have earned 2 million free xp anyway.

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
743 posts
6,688 battles

I'm in agreement with you @NoZoupForYou love this ship and very interested in using her for the next clan season. Could you advise your full build on her and your captain? I also tried her in ranked. The ship is fun.

[WOLFG]
Members
551 posts
12,655 battles
21 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

:Smile_unsure:

5 x tech tree reset (minimum, if you only reset one tech tree per RB season for the x2 bonus), is a lot of grinding, by the time you have played through 5 x reset tech trees, it is quite possible you will have earned 2 million free xp anyway.

But I spend my Free XP going up the tech tree lines as I said.  Yes, I would have earned that much, but I would have also had spent that much unlocking tech tree ships.  I have tried saving it, but I always get impatient and use it.  Most I have ever had was 500k when I was going for the Missouri, got impatient, and converted the rest with doubloons.  So yeah, it may be a lot of grinding, but if I want the Smaland, it's the only way I will ever get it. :Smile_coin:

Edit: And no, not gonna convert with doubloons, lol.

Edited by Colonel_Potter

[FORM]
Members
1,638 posts
11,378 battles
6 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I agree 2 mil is silly but what I'm going to do with 2.3 million FXP I have . There's not a lot of options I like to use it for besides new ships .

WG must think there's a lot more FXP out there. I can't imagine spending 2M on one ship. Especially when the T9 for 1M is so similar and the T10 one isn't getting the "premium" credit bonuses anyway... or am I wrong about that?

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles
1 hour ago, Ranari said:

only I can't transfer captains

You can transfer the captain to the Blyskawica and the Friesland and well, the Virus Unitis. Soon on the Orlan and Lappland.

FXP seems to fall from the sky now anyway, I remember when they announced 750,000 FXP for Missouri and every one had a cow. Free XP is easy to farm and, how the heck much do you all think a Free tier 10 ship should cost.

I mean really this is one battle and only 4 star in Operation Aegis.

image.thumb.png.d5d0e9141c007eb573c19697e69a8757.png

If you do 6 of those for your daily missions and only averaged 5,000 FXP that's 30,000 a day easily. In about 2 months and 7 days you would have 2 million FXP. Is 2 months too much to ask for a decent free tier 10 ship? Granted, you could use that FXP to shoot up a line or have fun grinding the line and make the FXP for a free ship, one that you can't obtain any other way.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts

To be worth 2 million "Free" XP, it would need to have... wait, nevermind, nothing could make a single ship worth 2 million "Free" XP.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

For Hayate I would pay the 2 million FXP because she is IJN, and quite likely a very good ship for me as a I have done well with TRB equipped Torp Boat line DDs. And if my calculations are correct she also should have AA defenses comparable to Gearing which is another good feature for me. So I would not just be paying FXP for just a ship but firing having a TRB Torp Boat at tier X which I have long wanted.

Now Smalland I am not certain of as I don’t want to judge it until I get far more info on it. But I will say if WG activates the ASW equipments that are visible on our ships, the Smalland appears to have bow mounted depth charge mortars that may prow deadly when chasing down a sub aggressively rather than having to get closer like some other DDs likely will need to.

[5IN]
Members
132 posts
25,119 battles

As a certified nut ball, I had 2.8 M free XP burning a hole in my pocket, so I got it.... it's OK. Just to put my insanity in perspective, I have both RB ships and 51K in RB points available for what's next. Please send thoughts and prayers my way. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
1 hour ago, skillztowin said:

increasing that vast deep trench between new player and veteran player. yup. no new player will look at that and say anything but... "wth, my t3 battle gave me 200 FXP.... looks like an endless grind game .... time to play another game." 

So work your way up from Tier 3 and get more and better ships, play PTS to farm Type 6 camos and flags, actually put some effort into improving your game and your fleet, and it will eventually come to you.

Or you could be lazy, whiny and lacking in all ambition.

• Boring 3

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Smaland seems to be a great ship, but IMO not worth 2mil free XP. With that much you can get two T9 free XP ships or grind 2/3 ship lines. Its just too much, It would only be worth if Smaland was completely OP/broken.

If i had that much free XP and no other ship/line to grind, i would probably get her. But i have other priorities. 

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,155 posts
11,036 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So work your way up from Tier 3 and get more and better ships, play PTS to farm Type 6 camos and flags, actually put some effort into improving your game and your fleet, and it will eventually come to you.

Or you could be lazy, whiny and lacking in all ambition.

eventually, sure, shortly after the wg releases a bunch of new overpowered ships that power creep today;'s hot ships ... 

respectfully, there is a ton of veteran knowledge in your comment.... 

1) use of camo and flags
2) existence of type 6 camo
3) existence of PTS... 
4) there is a benefit to the effort of improving *a fact that seems to elude even long term players.... 

I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about grinding for better captains for a better game experience

none of this is self evident for new players.

@Pts comment: I had around 1.2k battles before I discovered the existence of PTS. I signed up. I liked trying a few boats that ahead of my grind, (Bismark at the time) but, as a new-ish player, I quickly saw the time spent on PTs very minimally helped my main account. So I never re-logged in again. 

@lazy comment:  I have enough ambition and grit in real life to fulfill a few lifetimes, I am digitally driving ships into fantasy battle to escape responsibility and be lazy. And I know I am not the only one here who thinks the same. 

as a veteran of this game, i am entertained, it is currently the only game I play... but I stopped recruiting for this game after failing to recruit 4 separate players who all cited the grind and obvious money grab tactics as reasons to spend there time on other games... 

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
3,058 posts
16,819 battles
53 minutes ago, TAM_OH said:

As a certified nut ball, I had 2.8 M free XP burning a hole in my pocket, so I got it.... it's OK. Just to put my insanity in perspective, I have both RB ships and 51K in RB points available for what's next. Please send thoughts and prayers my way. 

We need a 'Thoughts and Prayers' emote.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
10 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

respectfully, there is a ton of veteran knowledge in your comment.... 

There is a ton of unwarranted assumption in YOUR comment. 

You are implying that new players lack the insight, intelligence and initiative to come here and find out how all this works. How insulting can you get?

13 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about grinding for better captains for a better game experience

I shouldn't have to rewrite the frickin' Encyclopaedia Britannica every time I reply to someone like you.

• Confused 3
  • Boring 1

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

What is next a t-10 bb for 5million fxp??? Nuclear weapon ??? legendary mod for these Euro ships for 10million.

IF A T-9 SHIPS IS 1M FXP then a t-10 should be not more than 1.5..... and as most others say its not worth it and from the people ive seen in game and ones ive talked to say it wasnt but they "WANTED IT" serveral already said yup it will be another Port Princess in their collection. I will save mine and see what comes later.

• Cool 1

0 posts
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You are implying that new players lack the insight, intelligence and initiative to come here and find out how all this works. How insulting can you get?

18 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

Most new players do lack the initiative or awareness (of) to come to the forum and to ask for help. This isn't an insult, just an observation. We can count the number of posts asking for help by new players, on this forum, per day, with cat thumbs.

As for implying "insight, intelligence" you are reading far too much into another person's comment, and by your aggressivity, verging on insulting forum manners. Let's show some restraint, as an experienced forum user that you are.

• Cool 5

Members
295 posts
20 battles
2 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

She's a great DD hunter and has a pretty impressive offensive array of weapons at her disposal.

I'm really enjoying her, she's an incredibly fun ship.  She will be by a margin the most effective choice in clan battles next season - she does what the Yue Yang used to do, but with much better DPM, much better AA, and much better survivability.  I thought it was interesting you said she was 'right in the middle' for being a gunboat, and that there were faster firing DD's out there.  She actually has the best main battery DPM of any DD in the game.  The only DD that can beat her in main battery DPM is Kleber during the 15 seconds she has MBRB up - and even then it's only by 11%, compared to Smaland's DPM at all times!

Some numbers for base DPM - Smaland 247k, Harugumo 240k, Daring 235k, Gearing 216k, Halland 210k, Hayate 193k, Khaba 182k, Yue Yang 162k, Grozovoi 154k, Somers 144k, Kleber 137k, Z-52 135k, Shima 135k.

Note that her shell arcs are basically identical to those of Daring and Harugumo.

2 hours ago, Ranari said:

For 2 million FXP I can just research the Halland (once it's officially released) and still have over a million FXP left.  Buy me a permanent camo and it's just like having the Smaland, only I can't transfer captains, but it's the same economic earnings potential. 

Halland is a torp boat with good guns, while Smaland is a gun boat with good torps.  They look similar, but they play quite differently - Smaland's number one purpose is to hunt and kill enemy DD's, while Halland is nowhere near as good at that, having lower gun DPM and not having radar.  Meanwhile Halland has 10kt faster torps, 10 vs 8 torps per spread, that go out to 15km range vs 12km for Smaland.

• Cool 2

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,321 battles

So what is this lappland i keep hearing about?