Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IRISHSDOWN

Just got the Montana. AA??

11 comments in this topic

[SAPP]
Members
94 posts
8,331 battles

Hello Comrades.  Finally got the Montana.  Are BFT and AFT any good still for the Montana?  Thanks

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles

AA skills on any ship are basically a waste. You want to run this set of skills, in this order:

PT, EM, SI, FP, CE, AR, BoS 

You can swap FP/CE in order depending on playstyle.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
4,364 posts
11,269 battles

First off, congrats on getting your own Monty. That was my first t10, and still one of my favorite battleships to play. Lots of people here say she's been powercrept and is completely worthless in the current meta with her jack-of-all-trades-master-of-no-gimmicks playstyle, but once you get used to how she behaves she's still quite strong when you know what you're doing.

1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

AA skills on any ship are basically a waste. You want to run this set of skills, in this order:

Pretty much exactly this. I used to take CE first on pretty much any ship that didn't need IFHE, but with the overabundance of HE spam, FP is definitely a better choice now for most battleships.

Module wise, I'd suggest: MAM1, damacon 1, traverse (or you could go with the AA mod in this slot for faster cooldown, but personally I prefer the faster traverse now that there's no reload penalty), damacon 2 or steering gears (this definitely comes down to a personal preference and whether you're more likely to play it in competitive modes or randoms; personally I lean toward steering for randoms since even with it your rudder sometimes feels slow, but tend to go with damacon for clan battles), concealment, artillery plotting room (USN BB specific dispersion mod, definitely makes those guns lethal out to long range if your aim is good). 

• Cool 1

[CLRN]
Members
598 posts
122 battles
7 hours ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

Hello Comrades.  Finally got the Montana.  Are BFT and AFT any good still for the Montana?  Thanks

Dont waste any points for AA. AA is useless anyway. No matter what you do.

• Boring 2

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
10 hours ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

AA builds are useless now, WG nerfed AA and AA skills/modules to the ground. 

You are better with a survivability build, with all the HE spam this really helps. And a lot of CV dmg comes from DoT too.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,525 battles
31 minutes ago, Xlap said:

AA builds are useless now, WG nerfed AA and AA skills/modules to the ground. 

You are better with a survivability build, with all the HE spam this really helps. And a lot of CV dmg comes from DoT too.

Agreed.  Fires + floods is often more damage than the aerial ordnance delivers upon impact.  Anything that reduces the fire & flooding is good, in my opinion.  I play all available ship types.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,745 battles

AA builds aren't useless. I play CVs a lot and I can tell you that from the other side. The problem is they are really costly for limited return. Survival builds for example work in every situation. Secondary builds work in most situations, you just need to get close. AA builds only work in a select situation that requires 3 things - 1) you had good AA to start with, 2) there is a carrier in the match and 3) the CV actually approaches you (not necessarily in that order). That AA build costs the same as the other two builds but it only gives you selective return.  That is why it is hard to justify them.

I use them on my USN CAs with 19 point captains because they can afford the points. The other places I could put it don't offer that much more in return after the 10 point mark. (They don't have torpedoes to buff, they don't suffer as much from fires as BBs, they don't use IFHE, they don't really set fires either etc., but high AA defenses act as damage padding in CV matches). On the other end of the spectrum, IJN BBs gain almost nothing from AA builds to justify the costs.

USN BBs are a harder choice because they can be effective with their AA, but it still will only help if you are in a CV match compared to a survival build that will help you all the time and it competes with raw survival. I run AA builds on my high-captain-point USN BBs too because I play CVs a lot, I know how they work, and I am not going to give them attacks on me for free. I just accept that I threw those points away on any match that does not have a CV. I haven't used Montana in a while, but I took down 40 plus planes in several recent matches where I used Missouri and got the CV to leave me alone in everyone one of them. Monty's AA is flat out better. Mathematically, a survival build is probably more cost effective though. I suggest you try them out and go with what is more comfortable for you. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

This is my view.

I run two captains on each of my boats, one for the Weekdays before 6pm central time.
And one for weekends and after 6pm central time.

First captain is a survive-ability build on my bbs second is an AA- Build.  For those who say they don't have 2 19pt captains get them.

And yes the Monty has been power-bias-crept. What should be the most Powerful BB in the game and Best at AA and Survival is IMO only meh, why play it when I can drive my bias right up to you and blap you with little regard for damage unless the fire breathing monster is around  but Bias kills Bias

• Cool 1

[CDOH]
Members
389 posts
6,925 battles
15 hours ago, enderland07 said:

This is right on for monty. Put halsey or one of the Doe bros in it for captains.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this