Sign in to follow this  
SteelClaw

The Bay area California ordered to shelter in place.

45 comments in this topic

Members
1,429 posts
7,116 battles

I would not doubt we will start seeing more of this soon enough. How much will depend on how bad it gets. 

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,665 battles

Yeeboi, it's going down.

2993ada413223a149555f5f68198043f.svg

• Cool 1

[BB35]
Beta Testers
3,112 posts
25,957 battles

And China is trying to put the blame on all this on America       heheheheheheehehehe

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,985 posts
14,281 battles

Love how they say in all these measures, "stores will stay open", yeah great time to celebrate your amazing grocery job.... but hey the food must flow!

[WOLF2]
Members
825 posts
18,937 battles
52 minutes ago, Tachnechdorus said:

And China is trying to put the blame on all this on America       heheheheheheehehehe

Ya, they're trying to pass the buck.  The first case of covid-19 occurred in China on November 17, 2019. The World Health Organization was not notified of a new virus until December 31st.

Feb. 7, 2020 - C.D.C. and W.H.O. Offers to Help China Have Been Ignored for Weeks
Experts raised a related concern: China’s scientists are given large rewards for publishing in prestigious journals.That creates an incentive to hold back samples and data until publication.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/health/cdc-coronavirus-china.html

Feb. 12, 2020 - China Still Not Sharing Coronavirus Information, Experts Say
Six weeks after announcing the appearance of a new, highly contagious and sometimes lethal virus, experts say China is still not sharing important data that could help contain the epidemic.
https://www.voanews.com/science-health/coronavirus-outbreak/china-still-not-sharing-coronavirus-information-experts-say

Sep. 03, 2018 - China withholding avian flu samples
China has refused requests from the US and other fellow WHO members for more than a year to provide lab samples from its outbreak of H7N9 avian influenza last year.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2018/09/03/2003699696

Had the Chinese leadership been forthcoming the world would not be in the trouble it now is.

• Cool 3

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts
7 hours ago, SteelClaw said:

This is an order that will be backed by the police.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-millions-told-shelter-place-195248607.html

More FAKE news. Read the damn article. This is not a police-enforced quarantine. It's a request.

The order does not confine residents to their home. 

Residents can go to the grocery store, the laundromat, the doctor and to perform essential work, as well as to engage in outdoor exercise that complies with social distancing requirements.

“The most important thing you can do is remain home as much as possible,”

[WORX]
Members
10,703 posts
18,577 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

More FAKE news. Read the damn article. This is not a police-enforced quarantine. It's a request.

After 7 paragraphs using the language of "order,"  Its not until the 8th paragraph stating stating the following..

"The order requests that the sheriff and chief of police “ensure compliance with and enforce this order” – but what that means exactly is not specified."

So who's at fault for this confusion, "The Guardian?" the original authors....Or Yahoo for reporting confusing information in times of crisis ?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

After 7 paragraphs using the language of "order,"  Its not until the 8th paragraph stating stating the following..

"The order requests that the sheriff and chief of police “ensure compliance with and enforce this order” – but what that means exactly is not specified."

So who's at fault for this confusion, "The Guardian?" the original authors....Or Yahoo for reporting confusing information in times of crisis ?

It's probably the same as ensuring compliance with watering restrictions. Unless martial law is declared there's not really anything they can do to actually make people stay indoors at gunpoint. And even then they probably couldn't do this. As wimpy as some Californians can be at times, they still are Americans, and Americans don't tolerate government violating their freedom. There is absolutely no reason for Americans to hunker up indoors. Just avoid crowds, stay six feet away from other people, for the most part, wash your hands after touching stair rails, etc. and keep your hands away from your face, and you will be fine.

[WORX]
Members
10,703 posts
18,577 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

As wimpy as some Californians can be at times, they still are Americans, and Americans don't tolerate government violating their freedom.

Love ya big guy we help a lot in the forums with PC builds questions... But I dont think its a good idea to use this ^^^ narrative..

I dont think its a good idea to prove your masculinity against a virus that is a proven worthy foe... For my entertainment purposes, I found it humorous and funny but its a morbid entertainment, that I can say I am "guilty" of. Seeing people humbled by their careless showing of their masculinity.

Dont ya think ?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts
18 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Love ya big guy we help a lot in the forums with PC builds questions... But I dont think its a good idea to use this ^^^ narrative..

I dont think its a good idea to prove your masculinity against a virus that is a proven worthy foe... For my entertainment purposes, I found it humorous and funny but its a morbid entertainment, that I can say I am "guilty" of. Seeing people humbled by their careless showing of their masculinity.

Dont ya think ?

It's late at night and I must be a bit sleepy because I'm having difficulty understanding your train of thought here. It's not careless of people to leave their houses. The COVID-19 virus is not some all-pervasive miasma that one will immediately encounter by stepping outdoors. In fact, the more time you spend outdoors, as long as you stay a reasonable distance away from other people, the better off you will be.

• Cool 1

[BLEP]
Members
545 posts
11,619 battles
12 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Well then explain the 28 people arrested last night for doing just that. They arrested folks walking down the street who were not out for essential reason. Six were headed to a party. ( They were released with a warning and sent home. Told next time it would be jail. ) My cousin lives out there and yes it is police enforced!!!!!!!!

The order will be in place through April 7. Breed added that the date could be adjusted, based on how things play out. “It could be amended to be lengthened or shortened,” she explained, “depending on advice from our public health members.” The team aims to prioritize three elements during the crisis: reducing community spread through social distancing, protecting vulnerable populations and protecting healthcare workers and first responders.

Per the SF Chronicle, the included communities total more than 6.7 million people. The move follows previous city and state-wide bans on gatherings of more than 250 people, but takes a far more aggressive approach, banning travel via “foot, bicycle, scooter, automobile or public transit” that is deemed non-essential.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/16/bay-area-counties-announce-lockdown-through-april-7/

On top of all this New Jersey activates National Guard. I live in New York and pretty much everything but needed services have been ordered to shut down. Bars, schools, eating places, gyms and many other places. Places like churches are also effected. Many states across the nation are now putting some or all of these same things into effect. 

Edited by Gospel_

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts
34 minutes ago, Gospel_ said:

Well then explain the 28 people arrested last night for doing just that. They arrested folks walking down the street who were not out for essential reason.

From the link: 

Essential activities include: Engaging in outdoor activities, such as walking, running, or hiking provided that you maintain at least six feet of social distancing.

If the police come within six feet of you while you are walking outside then they are violating the order and should be arrested themselves. If they are too heavy handed about this after things calm down there are going to be thousands of lawsuits and millions of dollars in settlements. Local government can't violate individual freedom through ordinance.

[BLEP]
Members
545 posts
11,619 battles

From the link: 

Essential activities include: Engaging in outdoor activities, such as walking, running, or hiking provided that you maintain at least six feet of social distancing.

If the police come within six feet of you while you are walking outside then they are violating the order and should be arrested themselves. If they are too heavy handed about this after things calm down there are going to be thousands of lawsuits and millions of dollars in settlements. Local government can't violate individual freedom through ordinance.

Dude I am not going to argue with you. I have family out there. YOU ARE WRONG... period!!! To do those things you must be on your own land or in a area that is excepted by the county. The streets are not allowed unless you are going to the store, doc, hospital or are needed for work.

Edited by Gospel_

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts
Just now, Gospel_ said:

Dude I am not going to argue with you. I have family out there. YOU ARE WRONG... period!!!

Did you read the ordinance? If they are arresting people for doing things that are explicitly permitted in the ordinance then they are setting themselves up for lawsuits. The ordinance explicitly states that walking outside for exercise is considered essential, provided that you maintain a six-foot distance from other people. I'm not making this up -- read the article that you, yourself, posted.

Members
28 posts
382 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Did you read the ordinance? If they are arresting people for doing things that are explicitly permitted in the ordinance then they are setting themselves up for lawsuits. The ordinance explicitly states that walking outside for exercise is considered essential, provided that you maintain a six-foot distance from other people. I'm not making this up -- read the article that you, yourself, posted.

Let me put an end to this. I live in Frisco. Both of you are right and wrong. He is right that they are enforcing this and you are are right about walking and stuff to a point. You must remain close to your home and if you wish to workout and such it must not be on public streets other than close to your own home. He is right aboput the arrested. The 6 arrested going to a party were students and were released back to their parents. They party was also busted up by the Sheriffs department. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts

Even more nonsensical. The order prohibits travel in an automobile for nonessential purposes but explicitly exempts the estimated 25,000 homeless from sheltering in place. I'm sure that all of those mentally disturbed drug addicted panhandlers are going to be careful about social distancing.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts
17 minutes ago, SeaView_ said:

Let me put an end to this. I live in Frisco. Both of you are right and wrong. He is right that they are enforcing this and you are are right about walking and stuff to a point. You must remain close to your home and if you wish to workout and such it must not be on public streets other than close to your own home. He is right aboput the arrested. The 6 arrested going to a party were students and were released back to their parents. They party was also busted up by the Sheriffs department. 

In all fairness, it appears that the police have been told to use discretion and are mostly just handing out warnings. Those party goers needed to be told to go home as they were doing something stupid by gathering inside in a crowd during a viral outbreak. However, even in times of emergency there are rights that cannot be legally violated. For instance, the right to travel cannot be infringed by local government. Under the Fifth Amendment. American citizens have the right to the use of roadways under the "Freedom of Liberty" clause as long as they are not violating the rights of others. Individual roads can be closed in times of emergency but citizens can't be told that they are forbidden to travel.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
28 posts
382 battles

In all fairness, it appears that the police have been told to use discretion and are mostly just handing out warnings. Those party goers needed to be told to go home as they were doing something stupid by gathering inside in a crowd during a viral outbreak. However, even in times of emergency there are rights that cannot be legally violated. For instance, the right to travel cannot be infringed without also infringing law under the Fifth Amendment. American citizens have the right to unrestricted use of roadways as long as they are not damaging or violating property or the rights of others.

Believe me we here are not happy about the restrictions, BUT we understand why they are doing it. If you are leaving the city or going to a place like the doctor you can go by car. What they are trying to avoid is social gatherings and other things that can increase the spread of the virus unessaseraly. There has even been talks about curfews like NJ is putting into effect. I just hope we do not call in the National Guard to enforce things like NJ has. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts
9 minutes ago, SeaView_ said:

Believe me we here are not happy about the restrictions, BUT we understand why they are doing it. If you are leaving the city or going to a place like the doctor you can go by car. What they are trying to avoid is social gatherings and other things that can increase the spread of the virus unessaseraly. There has even been talks about curfews like NJ is putting into effect. I just hope we do not call in the National Guard to enforce things like NJ has. 

Like I said, it's just good advice and people should adhere to it. However, this can't go in for long because the damage to the area's economy will soon become much greater than the problems the area would face were the virus simply left to run its course and a few thousand were to die from it. California already is cash strapped and the general citizenry of the US isn't going to tolerate massive tax hikes in order to bail them out.

One good thing that may come out of this whole mess is that there will be a much less severe flu season next year with more people being aware of how disease is transmitted and cognizant of things they can do to prevent its spread. The seasonal flu this season killed a thousand times more people in America alone than COVID-19 has.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
1,429 posts
7,116 battles

Here you go 

Edited by USMC2145

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts
32 minutes ago, USMC2145 said:

Here you go 

Homeless are exempt? Give me a break. I'm sure that none of them are going to contract the disease or transmit it to each other in their crowded alley and overpass squatter communities. What is it with San Francisco and its "homeless?" Most of them are mentally disturbed and/or drug addicts and there are even websites you can go to that tell you where they tend to defecate on the streets so that you can avoid the areas.  Even before this outbreak businesses were avoiding going to the San Francisco for conventions because of the squalor. Political correctness run amok.

This order violates the 1st (right to assemble) and 5th (right to travel) Amendments of the US Constitution and will be declared unconstitutional sooner or later. The CDC can issue enforceable federal quarantines under the Commerce Clause but they can generally only limit travel across state and federal borders.

Under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264), the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services is authorized to take measures to prevent the entry and spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the United States and between states.

• Confused 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

I had a call from my Mom over from the Bay Area today.  She mentioned how quiet everything is over there (Vallejo, CA), like a ghost town.

Doesn't surprise me this is going down.  The Bay Area is a massive transport hub.  There's a handful of airports, two of them international in the region.  The Bay Area is also a hub for cruise and cargo ships.  San Francisco is the main draw for all that, but everything else is within 1 hour of 'Frisco.  Alameda in the east part of the bay across from San Francisco is a major spot for cargo ships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
553 posts
10,276 battles
7 hours ago, SeaView_ said:

You must remain close to your home and if you wish to workout and such it must not be on public streets other than close to your own home. 

Exactly where are those restrictions in effect?

Members
28 posts
382 battles
34 minutes ago, evanr1940 said:

Exactly where are those restrictions in effect?

I don't want to give right where I live, but I live near the Mission District. They have been pretty hardcore on keeping people in or near there homes here. Nothing forceful, but patrols are pretty heavy and they are warning people. 

Sign in to follow this