Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

A friendly reminder to CV players what their priorty should be at the start of the match

19 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,708 posts

As a CV player to other CV players, my request is this: Please, for the love of god, at the start of the match, don't fixate on the first DD you spot. I know it's tempting, but it's not a smart decision. Your first priority should be scouting the enemy team as best you can so that your fleets surface ships have an idea what is in front of them and can decide whether a flank/cap is safe or not.

It also gives you an idea what flank is safest for you to approach.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 7

Members
158 posts
8,294 battles

I've never played CVs but judging from all of the bellyaching about them in this forum it seems the first priority should be scouting, as the OP suggests, and then killing the enemy CV second. At least if your motivation is to help your team

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,708 posts
6 minutes ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

I've never played CVs but judging from all of the bellyaching about them in this forum it seems the first priority should be scouting, as the OP suggests, and then killing the enemy CV second. At least if your motivation is to help your team

Carriers trying to kill carriers is, generally, a bad idea. CVs have extremely good air defense, a holdover from the pre-rework days when a key to winning matches was for a CV to try and snipe the opposing CV to deny the enemy team air support. Trying to snipe an enemy carrier now is guaranteed to lose your entire squadron.

It's not something I particularly like, either, since if the last enemy ship alive is the enemy CV in a match, all I can do for my team is spot since trying to attack with anything other than torpedo bombers will do minimal damage alongside the losses.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
3 minutes ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

We can't really attack CVs with any level of effectiveness. WG made sure of that.

You will get one and only one strike off on a CV at a time and then lose most of what you took there, fires will typically just put themselves out either using auto dam con or after 5 seconds.

The only reliable damage a CV can do has a ghost of a chance of happening, too. It requires first triggering the dam con and then getting there fast enough with torps that you can flood them. A 60 second duration dam con with a 90 sec reload.

Have I mentioned WG doesn't like CV vs CV? Because all this shows they they hate it. It would be entirely possible to focus a CV all match and run out of planes or time before it sinks unless they let you land something major, like Kaga, Saipan or Midway torps. Repeatedly. And only Kaga has enough planes to feasibly do that. The only other reliable method would maybe be AP bombs, and bombs tend to be the hardest thing to land on a CV, as they have a windup, and they have to wind up in the middle of 1+ fighter bubbles.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles

Usually one run against the DD followed by a fighter overhead to encourage a wasted smoke and then onto spot the rest of the fleet. Fighter only goes to weakly AA armed DDs if the other red CV is closing.

Discouraging capping can also be important if in domination.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
1 minute ago, Sumseaman said:

Usually one run against the DD followed by a fighter overhead to encourage a wasted smoke and then onto spot the rest of the fleet. Fighter only goes to weakly AA armed DDs if the other red CV is closing.

Discouraging capping can also be important if in domination.

That's my usual goal if I find a DD. Once I get them to flee, then I can spot knowing that cap is safer.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
5 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

We can't really attack CVs with any level of effectiveness. WG made sure of that.

You will get one and only one strike off on a CV at a time and then lose most of what you took there, fires will typically just put themselves out either using auto dam con or after 5 seconds.

The only reliable damage a CV can do has a ghost of a chance of happening, too. It requires first triggering the dam con and then getting there fast enough with torps that you can flood them. A 60 second duration dam con with a 90 sec reload.

Have I mentioned WG doesn't like CV vs CV? Because all this shows they they hate it. It would be entirely possible to focus a CV all match and run out of planes or time before it sinks unless they let you land something major, like Kaga, Saipan or Midway torps. Repeatedly. And only Kaga has enough planes to feasibly do that. The only other reliable method would maybe be AP bombs, and bombs tend to be the hardest thing to land on a CV, as they have a windup, and they have to wind up in the middle of 1+ fighter bubbles.

Yes, yes and ...yes.

CV vs CV died with RTS. Shame they haven't bothered to change the tooltip on the pre battle loading screen. 'Fight enemy carriers and aircraft...'. Nah...outside fighter drops....don't do that.

Edited by Sumseaman

[LEGIT]
Members
2,337 posts
31,823 battles

I just remember playing in games with T 10 CV's in the RTS time.  Didn't happen often, but to see the number of different squadrons controlled,  fighters strafing, planes spotting, torp squadrons going - all at the same time.  No way I had the skills to do that stuff.  Took a LOT of practice.

Now CV's are just annoying.  Sure they can kill you; but it generally takes them a while, even if they focus just you.  Just saying they're not the big bad wolf any more.

• Cool 2

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,472 battles
38 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

As a CV player to other CV players, my request is this: Please, for the love of god, at the start of the match, don't fixate on the first DD you spot. I know it's tempting, but it's not a smart decision. Your first priority should be scouting the enemy team as best you can so that your fleets surface ships have an idea what is in front of them and can decide whether a flank/cap is safe or not.

Thank you.  I'm not a CV player but scouting out the entire opposing force first is incredibly useful.  Having a general idea where their DDs are, radar ships are, etc, is so incredibly useful at the start of a match.

Beta Testers
74 posts
11,807 battles

The only reliable way for CVs to attack each other is to get into 2ndary firing range. I have stayed around in a few matches to water the Graf Zep. kill off the other teams 2 CVs just by charging in. Seen a 2 T10 CVs doing it in as well when they were the last 2 alive. 

Wargaming removed any real CV vs CV action in the rework in an attempt to remove the skill level differences between player, which removed any real counter play to CVs until late in games when a team get a ship advantage to be able to hunt one down.

• Cool 1

[BB35]
Beta Testers
3,115 posts
25,975 battles

Just wait until the Subs show up ……………….

• Funny 1

[DOG]
Members
1,109 posts
11,825 battles

I've had pretty good luck getting decent CV players on my teams in ranked this season.  Most of them will usually drop a fighter over areas (like buffs) the red CV knows our DDs will be.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,945 battles

What the point in do that if 90% of players dont look the minimap?

Jk...ornot.

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,836 battles
2 hours ago, Zaydin said:

OK CV's did that and DD's complained because DD's were out in front of there respective fleets, what do you want CV's to fly planes along the border to other end of that map THEN  scout from behind the enemy fleet passing through every ships AA field as they return to the CV.

Trust me when Subs turn up all the Anti CV crowd are going to be glad CV's are there to sink subs. 

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,386 posts
9,798 battles

One of the few CV messages I will approve of.  Its not like scouting the enemy team takes any more than a few extra seconds anyway.

[BONKS]
Members
1,507 posts
52 battles

Yeah, no. If people cannot extrapolate what is on the other flank when you scout one while killing a DD at the beginning of the match then scouting the other flank is a complete waste of time as your teammates clearly aren't intelligent enough to make use of it.

In the grand majority of cases severe early damage/an early kill on an enemy DD will be much more useful in winning the match.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

Carriers trying to kill carriers is, generally, a bad idea.

It is a bad idea but it is also a cause of reasonable many anti-CV's post.

[RLGN]
Members
14,330 posts
25,270 battles
1 hour ago, crazycarey said:

The only reliable way for CVs to attack each other...

...is to spot the bloody thing and let your erstwhile allies shell it to death.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this