Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Fombo

Any word on new Research Boats?

16 comments in this topic

[_PBR_]
Members
169 posts
9,902 battles

The Colbert and Ohio have been up there a while, any word when something new will come along?  Like maybe a researchable DD?

Thanks!

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,247 battles

Hopefully never. I'd rather things people won't whine about not being able to get be on there, like perma camos. I already smell the salt bubbling to the surface over legendary mods moving there.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,494 battles

Research Bureau has been one of WGs very few good ideas the last two years.  Yes I know the "free to play" gamers hate it, but for those who have all the T10s it was a very welcome shot in the arm to play more games.  So Kudos WG, and yeah how about a DD or another CA... no subs or CVs, do not add anymore nonsense ships to the game please.

[O_O]
Members
674 posts

Now that WG knows people will spend 2M fxp on a T10 DD, WG will now instead release T10s for fxp.

The Research Bureau's usefulness has already run out; it was only placed in the game to drain fxp, but if WG can sell people T10s for 2M+, there is no longer a need to hide these T10s behind a Research Bureau currency.

The Research Bureau will get the Legendary Upgrades and then will be ignored.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,349 posts
13,789 battles
14 hours ago, Morpheous said:

Research Bureau has been one of WGs very few good ideas the last two years.  Yes I know the "free to play" gamers hate it, but for those who have all the T10s it was a very welcome shot in the arm to play more games.  So Kudos WG, and yeah how about a DD or another CA... no subs or CVs, do not add anymore nonsense ships to the game please.

yes. i get you and the few that still play since beta found RB.  but here is how is see it.  RB is the nail in the coffin for new players. and locking the legendary mods behind RB is increasing the RPG gap between the have and have not. 

Low tier play is brutal. your have weird dispersion, health is low, the ships move poorly, and the earnings are low, so the first impressions of the game are dismal.  I think many new players will see the cost in time and money for a seemingly endless grind as a cash grab and leave before hitting Tier 5...

[--O--]
Members
994 posts
14 hours ago, Morpheous said:

Agree and Disagree.

It would have been a good idea had they not made ships available to people who in no way shape or form were ready for them. I will ALWAYS say before you can get a premium you must complete the Grind of that Nation and that specific Class of ship. Now signals, camo, moduals it was a great idea... But ships should be earned not bought.

I firmly believe that a large part of the problem with matches is people having ships they are not ready for.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,494 battles
5 hours ago, skillztowin said:

yes. i get you and the few that still play since beta found RB.  but here is how is see it.  RB is the nail in the coffin for new players. and locking the legendary mods behind RB is increasing the RPG gap between the have and have not. 

Low tier play is brutal. your have weird dispersion, health is low, the ships move poorly, and the earnings are low, so the first impressions of the game are dismal.  I think many new players will see the cost in time and money for a seemingly endless grind as a cash grab and leave before hitting Tier 5...

RB really has NO impact on new players... I mean it will be weeks, if they stay with the game, before they even grasp what it is.  The game itself has to bring them in and the biggest issue to turn new players off, and I guarantee that it is, is  CVs, and not just ONE CV but usually 3....now as a new player how would you like to see that every time you play after early tiers?   Appreciate your comments but they have nothing to do with RB.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,494 battles
4 hours ago, Mustangrde1 said:

Agree and Disagree.

It would have been a good idea had they not made ships available to people who in no way shape or form were ready for them. I will ALWAYS say before you can get a premium you must complete the Grind of that Nation and that specific Class of ship. Now signals, camo, moduals it was a great idea... But ships should be earned not bought.

I firmly believe that a large part of the problem with matches is people having ships they are not ready for.

I don't think you understand RB.  You cannot get these ships unless you reset entire ship lines and grind through them again....these ships are earned, just like any other ship, not sure how you arrive to a conclusion that they are not earned.  IF anything they are the hardest ships in the game to earn.  And yes, they would be very hard for a player who CHOOSES not to to buy premium etc, but not impossible.  If anything RB is one of the very FEW if ONLY thing WG does that rewards the long time players that have put money into the game... and WG is usually does a VERY poor job of doing this.  They reward folks to come back to the game, they practically give away a mid tier premium ship every few months, all these are easy benefits for most players.  But what do they do for the folks that have been loyal for years...not much except on the anniversary they give a few more rewards based on the number of years you played.

RB IS very good for those who have put the time in.  I mean if you want the game to collapse for sure, then give the old timers nothing to do, no goals to reach...yeah that is the death of most games.  Playing once or twice on a new ship line used to be the highlight of my WoWS night, but now I can reset lines and actually earn some future rewards....what is not to like?

• Cool 2

[FORM]
Members
2,382 posts
13,548 battles
23 hours ago, Torpin said:

The Colbert and Ohio have been up there a while, any word when something new will come along?  Like maybe a researchable DD?

Heck, anything interesting would be nice! I don't find the Monty play interesting - so even though the Ohio has more accurate guns and the secondaries it has no interest. As to the Colbert, I already have the Smol... so if I want to be a flamethrowing jerk, why not do it from the comfort of Soviet smoke?

5 hours ago, skillztowin said:

I guess it depends on how you define "new players" - and also how good or valuable the legendary mods are. IMO if someone is sailing a Tier 8-10, they are asking for playing against the most experienced players. And really good players already beat around really bad ones, having a legendary upgrade or not won't make much difference.

2 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

RB really has NO impact on new players... I mean it will be weeks, if they stay with the game, before they even grasp what it is.  The game itself has to bring them in and the biggest issue to turn new players off, and I guarantee that it is, is  CVs, and not just ONE CV but usually 3....now as a new player how would you like to see that every time you play after early tiers? 

Agreed. The frequency of 3 CVs at tier 4 and 5 wore out the two friends I tried to get into the game. Neither of them bothered past that point. And I think the sky is falling mindset of the future legendary upgrades is just fear based. We don't know what WG is going to offer yet, might still be the same garbage that most of the existing UUs are. Until they officially announce it, we're just knee jerk reacting to unknowns.

• Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,582 posts
17,778 battles

So many ships out in testing land I would not be surprised if at least one of them is for the RB. I am sneaking up on the Colbert now. Two more lines to finish up. Loved the Ohio.

• Cool 1

[--O--]
Members
994 posts
2 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

I don't think you understand RB.  You cannot get these ships unless you reset entire ship lines and grind through them again....these ships are earned, just like any other ship, not sure how you arrive to a conclusion that they are not earned.  IF anything they are the hardest ships in the game to earn.  And yes, they would be very hard for a player who CHOOSES not to to buy premium etc, but not impossible.  If anything RB is one of the very FEW if ONLY thing WG does that rewards the long time players that have put money into the game... and WG is usually does a VERY poor job of doing this.  They reward folks to come back to the game, they practically give away a mid tier premium ship every few months, all these are easy benefits for most players.  But what do they do for the folks that have been loyal for years...not much except on the anniversary they give a few more rewards based on the number of years you played.

RB IS very good for those who have put the time in.  I mean if you want the game to collapse for sure, then give the old timers nothing to do, no goals to reach...yeah that is the death of most games.  Playing once or twice on a new ship line used to be the highlight of my WoWS night, but now I can reset lines and actually earn some future rewards....what is not to like?

I think you may have misunderstood.

Let me try again... NO ONE "Old time or New Comer" should be able to buy there way to a ship (any ship) without first grinding the Nations Tech Tree specifically that Branch of the Tech tree.

Lets use Azuma for instance.... To get it a play MUST grind the entire IJN CA Line and earn the required 1,000,000 fxp
Right now if anyone wanted to they could plop down the money and buy it if they had the xp to convert which is 40,000 xp if my math is right going off the top of my head. Example of how bad it is now... 6 games in to the VISBY  i have 9327 xp so by 20 games i could buy the Azuma a ship i may not be ready for.

Requiring people to play the tech-tree line before a ship can be bought in Armory, or Premium Shop would insure they are ready to play that class. I.E. Have a fundamental understanding of how to use that class and tier which would "in theory" improve game play.

It would also mean the "Old Timers" who have put the grind in could at anytime open their wallets to get anything they want unless its a Armory specific ship to which they "if they have made the tech tree grind" reset lines replay and earn the ship.

It is a win for Wargaming, and the Player Base. It means people stay interested which in turn means potentially more money to wargaming and longevity of the base also known as loyalty. It also means that the "Player" understand the ship class and how to use it thus not being completely useless in games or worse a detriment to the team.

• Boring 2

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,494 battles
10 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

I think you may have misunderstood.

Let me try again... NO ONE "Old time or New Comer" should be able to buy there way to a ship (any ship) without first grinding the Nations Tech Tree specifically that Branch of the Tech tree.

Lets use Azuma for instance.... To get it a play MUST grind the entire IJN CA Line and earn the required 1,000,000 fxp
Right now if anyone wanted to they could plop down the money and buy it if they had the xp to convert which is 40,000 xp if my math is right going off the top of my head. Example of how bad it is now... 6 games in to the VISBY  i have 9327 xp so by 20 games i could buy the Azuma a ship i may not be ready for.

Requiring people to play the tech-tree line before a ship can be bought in Armory, or Premium Shop would insure they are ready to play that class. I.E. Have a fundamental understanding of how to use that class and tier which would "in theory" improve game play.

It would also mean the "Old Timers" who have put the grind in could at anytime open their wallets to get anything they want unless its a Armory specific ship to which they "if they have made the tech tree grind" reset lines replay and earn the ship.

It is a win for Wargaming, and the Player Base. It means people stay interested which in turn means potentially more money to wargaming and longevity of the base also known as loyalty. It also means that the "Player" understand the ship class and how to use it thus not being completely useless in games or worse a detriment to the team.

You cannot buy your way to an Ohio...well I suppose you could fxp through 4 lines then fxp through them again, but you STILL have to earn xp through real playing before you could use real money to convert xp to fxp.  So really you cannot buy these ships, may be half buy them.  RB actually imho is a great carrot .... play this game a lot and now reset some lines and you too can earn this ship, or spend your RB points on what every else they are "selling."  Plus WG gives 10k free points just on a reset every 4 months and I believe everyone playing got 10k free points when RB was introduced.  Remember we are talking about the RESEARCH BUREAU.  Also I am guessing you don't have too many tier 10 lines complete...just a guess.

• Cool 1

[BELCH]
Members
73 posts
36,748 battles
19 hours ago, Morpheous said:

Research Bureau got me to regrind lines, something that I would not have done without the incentive. I have reset / reground all of the DD lines and am halfway through a second reset / regrind.

I found playing and progressing through the lines again to be challenging, rewarding, and even enjoyable. The experience and overall improvement gained through playing a lot games has helped tremendously, and this is probably why the regrind is better than expected. It also helps to have camo/flags and commanders (28 of my DD commanders have 19 points, and all but one of my DD commanders from tier V up have 14 points).

I'm obviously a DD main. The major missing piece is a DD reward ship, as there are only battleship and cruiser reward ships so far.

I'm even contemplating RB for cruiser lines.

4 hours ago, skillztowin said:

Co-op is not as brutal and reasonable for learning. Yes, low tier random games can be brutal and frustrating, especially for DDs with more CVs, and with more radar at higher tiers.

I'm not a natural gamer, WoWs is the only game that I play. However, I am a naval history buff, and WoWs is a virtual museum for me. The ship models in game are so much better than just the photos in all of the naval history books in my overflowing bookshelf. This keeps me in WoWs, and I hope that it also draws many others to the game. I'm so sorry that the COVID-19 crisis is adversely affecting the Anchors Away tours.

I agree with you that I don't like the legendary mods moving to RB, I'd rather have them remain as Tier X missions. With the current state of the game, I'd rather play tiers VII-IX. I think that the legendary mods should encourage more Tier X play as is presently, not just one win as it would be when moved to RB tokens.

• Cool 2

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,349 posts
13,789 battles
4 hours ago, Morpheous said:

I guarantee that it is, is  CVs, and not just ONE CV but usually 3.

a lot of nails in that coffin. 

Sign in to follow this