You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
iMiscreant

Smolensk exploding: No more overpens?

12 comments in this topic

Members
70 posts

Is it just my rotten RNG or are other full-health Smolensks being deleted by a single BB salvo? Is there a new Smolensk overpen shortage?

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
10,621 posts
18,506 battles
5 minutes ago, iMiscreant said:

Is it just my rotten RNG or are other full-health Smolensks being deleted by a single BB salvo? Is there a new Smolensk overpen shortage?

Deleting A full HP Smolensk have been around since it debuted. Over-pens happen at the user level, mainly bad aim...

IFHE changes have only made it easier.

• DDs
  • Cruisers
  • BBs
  • CVs

Can delete it with either one salvo (BBs) or more salvos for cruisers and DDs.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,940 posts
8,200 battles
8 minutes ago, iMiscreant said:

Depends on the circumstances.

I DSed one the other day with Bismarck. He was sitting still, a perfect broadside, but I had AP loaded.

I'm thinking that, had he been at 6-8km, it would have been overpen city, but it was at 15km, and AP pen decreases with range. I did have good RNG though, to keep the shells close enough together lol.

Edited by Skpstr

[HINON]
Members
13,243 posts
19 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I'm thinking that, had he been at 6-8km, it would have been overpen city, but it was at 15km, and AP pen decreases with range. I did have good RNG though, to keep the shells close enough together lol.

Further out also allows more of a downward angle to enter the citadel rather than going over the top of it.

Edited by RipNuN2

[WOLFG]
Members
28,940 posts
8,200 battles
3 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Further out also allows more of a downward angle to enter the citadel rather than going over the top of it.

Good point.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,096 posts
18,947 battles
4 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The citadel roof is thick enough to bounce BB AP under all but the most extreme circumstances, like 25km hits.

• Boring 1

Members
1,624 posts
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

The citadel roof is thick enough to bounce BB AP under all but the most extreme circumstances, like 25km hits.

OK, in that case why the armor deck was nerfed to 16 mm? To do what? 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,096 posts
18,947 battles
22 minutes ago, loco_max said:

OK, in that case why the armor deck was nerfed to 16 mm? To do what? 

Bring it in line with other light cruisers with destroyer caliber guns.

<Edit> That's my theory. I've not looked at all the numbers.

Edited by Lert

Members
1,624 posts
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Bring it in line with other light cruisers with destroyer caliber guns.

<Edit> That's my theory. I've not looked at all the numbers.

Colbert is the only other T10 CL example and was nerfed at the same time than the Smolensk. I'm not trying to be obnoxious Lert, but it looks a huge nerf on my end...

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,096 posts
18,947 battles
1 minute ago, loco_max said:

Colbert is the only other T10 CL example and was nerfed at the same time than the Smolensk. I'm not trying to be obnoxious Lert, but it looks a huge nerf on my end...

It's neither a nerf nor a buff.

AFAIK the upper belt got nerfed and the middle deck. This means that larger caliber shells will overpen more, but medium caliber shells will trigger and full pen more. As I understand the changes, Smolensk should now be a bit more difficult to reliably deal heavy damage to with battleship guns but more easily with heavy cruiser guns, since 16mm threshold shouldn't be enough to fuse battleship caliber shells, meaning they'll just overpen unless they hit thicker armor and fuse.

Members
1,624 posts
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

It's neither a nerf nor a buff.

AFAIK the upper belt got nerfed and the middle deck. This means that larger caliber shells will overpen more, but medium caliber shells will trigger and full pen more. As I understand the changes, Smolensk should now be a bit more difficult to reliably deal heavy damage to with battleship guns but more easily with heavy cruiser guns, since 16mm threshold shouldn't be enough to fuse battleship caliber shells, meaning they'll just overpen unless they hit thicker armor and fuse.

OK, let's wait for the stats, I predict a WR below 49% very soon...

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,096 posts
18,947 battles
2 minutes ago, loco_max said:

OK, let's wait for the stats, I predict a WR below 49% very soon...

Time will tell.