Sign in to follow this  
Snargfargle

Stop Calling 911 Because You Ran out of Toilet Paper!

19 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts

It’s hard to believe that we even have to post this. Do not call 9-1-1 just because you ran out of toilet paper. You will survive without our assistance. There are many other options for you in your time of need if you cannot find a roll of your favorite soft, ultra plush two-ply citrus scented tissue. -- Newport, Oregon Police Department

I was talking to Dad about the shortage of toilet paper and he said that he didn't even see a roll of toilet paper until he started grade school. Back then people used newspapers and corn cobs in their outhouses.

There are a plethora of ways that people have wiped their hineys. I'm sure that you will figure something out if you can't find a roll of toilet paper. My favorite field expedient was mullein leaves because they are soft and fuzzy.

The panic over this virus is currently causing more problems than the virus itself. However, the terror-stricken isolation of Americans may slow the spread of the disease long enough for a vaccine to be delivered. Already, the first human trials of a vaccine are underway.   

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

[MINVY]
Members
770 posts
7,399 battles

The run on toilet paper is insane. Grocery stores are out of many products including food and other critical items. Bars and restaurants now closed. Hopefully we all got our corn beef and cabbage in time.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,791 posts
21,701 battles

Me, I'm just looking at all this hysteria over there across the ocean and shaking my head.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts
45 minutes ago, Capn_Nugget said:

The run on toilet paper is insane. Grocery stores are out of many products including food and other critical items. Bars and restaurants now closed. Hopefully we all got our corn beef and cabbage in time.

I've got at least three month's worth of food in the house but other than for toilet paper the local store is chock full so it really doesn't matter. I'll bet that there is toilet paper back on the shelves when the truck arrives tomorrow too. I'm almost 100% positive that it wasn't the people in the town who made a run on the toilet paper but a few "opportunists" who bought it all to sell it on eBay. Since Amazon and eBay have taken down the accounts of the more egregious price gougers and the toilet paper companies are still producing and distributing their product normally things will probably soon get back to normal.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Me, I'm just looking at all this hysteria over there across the ocean and shaking my head.

Me too and I live here. I helped to serve and protect this country for a long time but sometimes I wonder why I even bothered.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,136 posts
4,342 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

The issue is people don't understand what the country shutting down means. They've watched too many apocalypse movies, and are expecting the breakdown of society or something. The supply chains and infrastructure are still fully operational. Electricity and water will stay on, trucks will continue to run, the world is not actually ending. I stocked up a bit, mostly because if I get the thing and have to isolate, I don't want to have to run out to the store, at least for a bit. Just because you can't go out to your favorite restaurant doesn't mean all the factories stopped making food and whatnot. And yeah, there are plenty of other options for TP.

Example A of people not thinking straight: Went to store couple days ago, and one of the things on my list was gatorade for potential dehydration issues. I figured it might be out, but nope, plenty left. Cool. Walk by next aisle, the water aisle. Not a bottle left, completely cleaned out. Now note in my area the tap water is completely safe and tastes fine. So people are buying up the one thing that is readily available in their house, but not gatorade and other electrolyte sources that might be very useful for the flu:fish_palm:

As a chemist, this whole thing just confirms the fact that the average person is completely scientifically illiterate. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,840 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Already, the first human trials of a vaccine are underway. 

They're talking 14 to 18 months for a working vaccine, that will not be happening overnight. What the panic will do is slow the spread enough for emergency services to adequately handle the number of people infected without becoming overwhelmed like Italy, Spain, France, and Iran have been. But as a medical professional you know this already. What they are hoping to avoid is a crushing number of new cases appearing suddenly like the country experienced during the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918/1919, which totally rolled over the existing medical professionals ability to deal with it effectively. Fewer cases at once allows the hospitals to treat everyone in a comprehensive manner and not have people in the hallways.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,246 posts
10,868 battles
48 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Me too and I live here. I helped to serve and protect this country for a long time but sometimes I wonder why I even bothered.

The best take I saw was "Imagine there was a war that we had to win, and the best way to fight it was to stay home, eat Doritos and Ramen, and binge-watch Netflix. Now imagine we are somehow managing to still lose..."

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,791 posts
21,701 battles
59 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

As a chemist, this whole thing just confirms the fact that the average person is completely scientifically illiterate. 

Preach it, brother. Though I have to admit, I stocked up on TP. I bought a 24 pack instead of a 4 pack.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,246 posts
10,868 battles
36 minutes ago, Lert said:

Preach it, brother. Though I have to admit, I stocked up on TP. I bought a 24 pack instead of a 4 pack.

I tried to just stock up on things I was going to have to buy eventually anyway. TP is going to get used, and until then, I'm going to build a little fort out of my Charmin rolls. I wouldn't have bought more for a few months, just saw a bulk pack and figured I'd do it now.

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,997 battles

Don't freak out and panic but don't ignore the threat either like some are doing. I live in King County in Washington state were the first outbreak occurred in the U.S. It is not pleasant living here right now.

Coronavirus cases rise in King and Pierce Counties; Thurston at 3, Lewis gets first
King County cases have now grown to 420 from 387 on Saturday, including two more deaths, which brings the death toll to 37.
https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article241214661.html

Kid Rock's Nashville Bar Refuses to Close Amid Coronavirus Concerns, Calls Mayor's Mandate 'Unconstitutional'
https://popculture.com/country-music/2020/03/16/kid-rock-nashville-bar-refuses-close-amid-coronavirus-concerns-mayor-mandate-unconstitutional/

A coronavirus cautionary tale from Italy: Don’t do what we did: Many of us were too selfish to follow suggestions to change our behavior. Now we’re in lockdown and people are needlessly dying.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/13/opinion/coronavirus-cautionary-tale-italy-dont-do-what-we-did/

Italian coronavirus victims over 80 could be 'left to die' in drastic measures
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/italian-coronavirus-victims-over-80-21700335

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts
44 minutes ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

King County cases have now grown to 420 from 387 on Saturday, including two more deaths, which brings the death toll to 37.
https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article241214661.html

According to kingcounty.gov there have been 19 outbreaks at long-term care facilities and 30 influenza deaths this flu season too but that's barely been in the news. Yes, COVID-19 may become a major problem and the fear if it certainly is causing panic but it's currently way behind the seasonal flu in nationwide illnesses and mortality figures. According to the CDC there were 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths (including 125 infant deaths, the most on recent record) from the flu this season. So how come nobody was panicking about this?

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,997 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

According to kingcounty.gov there have been 19 outbreaks at long-term care facilities and 30 influenza deaths this flu season too but that's barely been in the news. Yes, COVID-19 may become a major problem and the fear if it certainly is causing panic but it's currently way behind the seasonal flu in nationwide illnesses and mortality figures. According to the CDC there were 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths (including 125 infant deaths, the most on recent record) from the flu this season. So how come nobody was panicking about this?

The last I heard 26 of the deaths in King County were people in the nursing facility in Kirkland which is a little east of Seattle. I've had unbelievable bad luck the past few years and I'm in that high risk group which is why I'm uptight.

If there is only one person in my town who catches it and dies it will be me. :Smile_sad:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts
18 minutes ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

If there is only one person in my town who catches it and dies it will be me. :Smile_sad:

Try to stay safe!

I'm staying with my Dad now, who is nearing 90. I'm trying to keep him isolated from crowds as much as possible, though there have been no reports of COVID-19 within 400 miles of here. I just wish his sports teams were playing because that's his favorite entertainment, his having been a coach for 40 years. He used to go over to the shop and build things but it's too hard on his back now. I'm trying to get him interested in Netflix and YouTube though. This afternoon he watched The Highwaymen, which he liked as he also taught history.

[WOLF2]
Members
879 posts
20,997 battles
16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Try to stay safe!

I'm staying with my Dad now, who is nearing 90. I'm trying to keep him isolated from crowds as much as possible, though there have been no reports of COVID-19 within 400 miles of here. I just wish his sports teams were playing because that's his favorite entertainment, his having been a coach for 40 years. He used to go over to the shop and build things but it's too hard on his back now. I'm trying to get him interested in Netflix and YouTube though. This afternoon he watched The Highwaymen, which he liked as he also taught history.

Youtube - there is plenty there to keep sports fans entertained.  What sport was he a coach of?

Lots of good history stuff on youtube too.

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,258 posts
Just now, Klaatu_Nicto said:

Youtube - there is plenty there to keep sports fans entertained.  What sport was he a coach of?

Dad was a national collegiate champion in track but also was good at basketball. He coached basketball, track, volleyball, and for a time football. I'm alway amazed when I take his vitals because I really needn't bother. He has a blood pressure of 120/70 and a pulse of 60. My BP and pulse haven't been that good since I was in the Army. That's what an athlete's body and a lifetime spent doing sports will get you. Dad was still playing town-team softball when he was in his 60s.

Sign in to follow this