You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

What makes this game so dam frustrating?

45 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
783 posts
2,775 battles

I have a lot of pc games yet only WoWS really makes me rage. I used to play WoTs and never cared when I went for days without a win, W@rthund3r is the same, plus many other multiplayer games, win 10 or lose 10 it never really bothered me. 

Yet losing in WoWS really peeves me off and I don't know why. I've rage deleted this game multiple times, last year when my recent WR dropped to 10% I quit and never played again for 6 months, but even today, a quick few games after work and all 4 of them were highly annoying and 1 sided losses. Let down by 2 or 3 yolo fools in the team doing dumb stuff early on which the team cannot recover from... 

Also highly annoying luck when the RNG dice plays a massive part... Line up a clueless enemy Scharnhorst at 8k in my Giulio Cesare, full AP at him for a comical 2k damage, reload and hit him again for 3k damage (sigh), he finally cottons on to the fact I'm trying to kill him and attacks me, I'm perfectly position for a good angle deflection and get double citadeled instead.. lol cry. Annoying luck like that just adds to the tears.  

A few people who play regularly I know don't care about the results and I am very envious of them, as long as they have a bit of fun and sink a ship they are happy even when their team melts in the first 5m, I have no idea why I get so competitive over this arcade game of luck..:(

image.png

[TBW]
Members
10,283 posts
17,482 battles

If Dunkerque in Aegis is any indication it could have a lot to do with RNG. Same aiming different results and I thought this was an arcade game. RNG makes it not so arcade like and more luck like. With the added attraction that games have luck shot built in for the uncoordinated. I do so much like going over to my friends house who owns an asteroids machine, no RNG just skill and luckily it doesn't cost a quarter.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
14,297 posts
25,169 battles

The very things you describe are partly to blame.

Such fun, line up a shot, watch everything drop across the middle of a target, jack for damage. Red shoots at you angled, you get reamed.

A lot of casuals take the game exactly that way, casually, but they still want to win. Watching others not even really try to do so is a rage inducer.

Blame WG as well.

Despite vids and such, their communication abilities still suck; and that doesn’t help.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 3

Members
246 posts
310 battles

I feel the same way.

I think a big compounding factor is that you are so much more aware of how other people play and consequently more prone to blaming others (whether deservedly or not) for games that end up being boring at best and rage inducingly frustrating at worst (which tends to be the way how most losses end up making me feel) out of sheer stupidity and/or people's incompetence.

The fact that everyone only gets one spawn per game only makes things worse.

The closest comparison to WoWs that I can make is [edited](Naval), and I genuinely enjoy my games in that one. It helps that the maps are massive and scaled 1:1 so you have less of a grip on what other people are doing, more importantly, you get at least 3 respawns which allow you to make up for a mistake you or others may have done and allows for more dynamic gameplay as you often play with 3 different vehicles in any given game.

WoWs in comparison is too crowded in a given map for 12 people. I am acutely aware of what my teammates are doing, and statistically speaking, they end up making a lot of stupid plays, which drives me nuts because their incompetence directly affects my chances of getting a win out of a game. Although I don't think maps being small is a negative thing on its own, it's just that there are too many ships in a map cluttered with a lot of islands already. There is no variety to how people can really position their ships. We all have a rough general spot for where we want to be in each particular ship in each particular map. That tends to make the games more rigid than they would otherwise be, I think.

The particular game mechanics of WoWs also end up contributing to this.

Like the spotting mechanics.

If there is one thing that is the most impactful and important above everything else in this game, it's spotting. It really hurts that spotting can only, reliably be done by ship classes that have a high skill floor to begin with. More often than not, a steamroll occurs when one team's DDs end up dying early in the game or end up being absolutely useless for spotting in general. And given most DD players' propensity for rushing in and dying early and/or for sailing behind BBs, farming in smoke or just sitting behind islands in caps, a lot of games end up being very frustrating because you don't know where to effectively position, get farmed by invisible ships, have nothing to shoot at and get rushed by massive BBs and cruisers that ran up right into your a$$ without getting spotted.

Introduce multiple respawns and get rid of the current spotting mechanics and you suddenly have a game that isn't as rage-inducing as this one.

I mean, it's a start.

Edited by KosmicRavioli
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,228 battles

The best feeling in WOWS is when you are completely engrossed in your flank, fighting tooth and nail in hard combat for ten minutes. You emerge victorious, having sunk two enemy ships, and secured the cap.

Then you notice the rest of the map. Nobody else on your team has killed anything. The other flank has collapsed completely. High tier ships on full health circle each other in the spawn. The enemy have lost two ships on your flank, and the cap, however they now control the other two caps. Somehow, 6 of your ships have gone down without sinking anything.

Your CV sends his aircraft half way across the map to secure a kill on a solitary enemy that is burning down. It is on fire, with 120 health remaining, when your CV unloads his bombs to get that kill. Now he fills chat with his instructions to target the enemy that is closest to him.

An Alaska guns down your top tier BB in a brawl, and the enemy DDs release all their torps from close range at the huddle in your spawn.

Someone is spamming "Get Back!" in chat. 

You search for the "scuttle ship" command, and wonder about the quality of men in the world today.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Members
246 posts
310 battles
1 hour ago, SidTheBlade said:

That's probably me.

It just beggars belief how people look at a wall of 5 ships and decide the best course of action is for them to rush it.

Then another guy goes and does the same thing a minute later, despite having witnessed how the first guy got wrecked in mere seconds.

And I just keep spamming "Get Back!" because I don't know what else to do to stop these people from committing fatal stupidity and talking in chat to these people inevitably results in being chatbanned.

[TARK]
Members
640 posts
1 hour ago, KosmicRavioli said:

That's probably me.

It just beggars belief how people look at a wall of 5 ships and decide the best course of action is for them to rush it.

Then another guy goes and does the same thing a minute later, despite having witnessed how the first guy got wrecked in mere seconds.

And I just keep spamming "Get Back!" because I don't know what else to do to stop these people from committing fatal stupidity and talking in chat to these people inevitably results in being chatbanned.

Maybe they saw the writing on the wall, and figured the team wasn't going to win... and they expedited the death of their ship so that they could leave the game and start a new one, in a different ship, with a different team.

• Cool 2

Members
6,621 posts
20,628 battles

1) The main reason is no respawns, most other games dyeing is not as important.

2) Any given game you have 11 teammates who may each have a different agenda or strategy to win... fulfilling spotting flag requirements, or caps.

3) RNG is exists and lives here... the perfect shot nets nothing and a lazy hipshot nets you three citadels.

4) MM, Bottom tier, Radars, Div's both good and bad..... Ignorantly OP ships, seal clubbing.

5 CV's, negating hundreds of hours of play to earn a ship and get a high point captain only to it rendered useless from above.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
6 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I have a lot of pc games yet only WoWS really makes me rage. I used to play WoTs and never cared when I went for days without a win, W@rthund3r is the same, plus many other multiplayer games, win 10 or lose 10 it never really bothered me. 

Yet losing in WoWS really peeves me off and I don't know why. I've rage deleted this game multiple times, last year when my recent WR dropped to 10% I quit and never played again for 6 months, but even today, a quick few games after work and all 4 of them were highly annoying and 1 sided losses. Let down by 2 or 3 yolo fools in the team doing dumb stuff early on which the team cannot recover from... 

Also highly annoying luck when the RNG dice plays a massive part... Line up a clueless enemy Scharnhorst at 8k in my Giulio Cesare, full AP at him for a comical 2k damage, reload and hit him again for 3k damage (sigh), he finally cottons on to the fact I'm trying to kill him and attacks me, I'm perfectly position for a good angle deflection and get double citadeled instead.. lol cry. Annoying luck like that just adds to the tears.  

A few people who play regularly I know don't care about the results and I am very envious of them, as long as they have a bit of fun and sink a ship they are happy even when their team melts in the first 5m, I have no idea why I get so competitive over this arcade game of luck..:(

image.png

A thing that makes this game frustrating is how obnoxiously slow everything is. It's a game about massive warships who are supposed to be slow. You really feel it when you accidentally beach onto an island or see a wall of torpedoes coming towards you and at that moment you feel so helpless as you watch your ship get smashed to pieces, which is incredibly rage inducing. Winning a game in this game is so reliant on teamwork that it is nearly impossible to carry a game by yourself, unlike in WOT or [edited]. The game also feels more reliant on RNGesus than the other two games you mentioned. By far the most frustrating thing is when you practically gave it your all, and your team loses, and you get literally nothing for the battle. If you lose a battle, what you get in return sucks regardless of your performance and that is what makes me rage. I couldn't care as much about winning if I know that I at least get something out of a loss, especially if I play very well. The earnings you make when you win and when you lose is like comparing the pay between a CEO and a fast-food restaurant worker.  

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,884 posts
17,928 battles

Frustration is directly related to the competitive nature of the effort.  I like to win.  I 'm not happy when I lose.  I'm competitive.  But we must realize that there are some matches that no matter how good we are, no matter how flawlessly we play, we're not going to win.  Sometimes the "roll of the dice" (more so in matchmaking than the RNG dispersion of shells) decides the game.  But the game allows for a good bit of skill...skill in positioning.  Skill in movement.  Skill in shot selection.  Yada yada...that we can make a difference.  Not every time...but enough times to make a difference.  And the real joy comes when matchmaking gives you a turd, and you go beast mode and turn it into sugar.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,991 posts
8,240 battles
2 hours ago, KosmicRavioli said:

And I just keep spamming "Get Back!" 

I actually like that. Sometimes I get a dumb idea, and that orange text makes me look a little deeper at what I was going to do.

It also (whether I'm just imagining things or not) makes me think that player is aware, and would either benefit from support, or support me if I make a decent play.

• Cool 1

[CAP]
Members
338 posts
15,131 battles
11 minutes ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

A thing that makes this game frustrating is how obnoxiously slow everything is. It's a game about massive warships who are supposed to be slow. You really feel it when you accidentally beach onto an island or see a wall of torpedoes coming towards you and at that moment you feel so helpless as you watch your ship get smashed to pieces, which is incredibly rage inducing. Winning a game in this game is so reliant on teamwork that it is nearly impossible to carry a game by yourself, unlike in WOT or [edited]. The game also feels more reliant on RNGesus than the other two games you mentioned. By far the most frustrating thing is when you practically gave it your all, and your team loses, and you get literally nothing for the battle. If you lose a battle, what you get in return sucks regardless of your performance and that is what makes me rage. I couldn't care as much about winning if I know that I at least get something out of a loss, especially if I play very well. The earnings you make when you win and when you lose is like comparing the pay between a CEO and a fast-food restaurant worker.  

Back when I didn't have a year of premium time stocked up, I use to rage at how I needed to win with a near Kraken to break even with my first T10 DD (Shima).  Perm camos, flag/camo supply i could never use up, and 150M silver and growing w/o need has shifted that concern the other way.

[SALVO]
Members
1,990 posts
6,186 battles
2 hours ago, Eckarbeiter said:

Maybe they saw the writing on the wall, and figured the team wasn't going to win... and they expedited the death of their ship so that they could leave the game and start a new one, in a different ship, with a different team.

That's how you fail at the game though.  Can't tell you the number of times the "writing was on the wall" but I got a tenacious bunch of captains that are decent at the game to start with and they hang on and do their best with me and we pull out a win.   The only reason why I even have over  50% WR for the last 7 days,  Is because I and others did not just give up.    3 games out of 13 immediately spring to mind ( happened to be all my hindenburg games) .   

1.  Hotspot A cap.  Pink Suicider and another ship immediately yolo A and die at the beginning of the match we also loose 2 DDs at C .  Me and div mate on the same flank with 1 other ship. Opposed by 5 including a Smol, Kremlin and GK.  Writing is "on wall"  we are 4 ships down they got all the OP ships on my flank.  YET we hold our flank, then take it as the enemy makes mistakes and come in 1 by one.  We win.  

2. Hotspot C cap.  Took my Hindi to  kite and control 8-9 line. Some GK potato that wont do 1k damage all match is going 1/4 speed to join me.   Friendly Iowa and chappy on  my flank both decide a hard push into C cap with 4 people on enemy side is the very best thing.  So they both die and proceed to blame me (unwarranted) and the GK(warranted but only because he was not doing jack to start with) .   The "writing is on the wall" so thoroughly that both enemy Wooster and Venezia decide to forget about my AP.   Again hung on , did my bit and along with a few other hardbitten captain we pull out a win. 

3. Atlantic  mid spawn.   Get a bunch of BBs that do the absolute potato move of all time and all want to go behind the islands in the north just like they potato their way through Okinawa or West of Greece.   Again we loose important ships early and a long and tough struggle ensues.  We do loose this one.  But only because of me. Because I thought my friendlies would be able to take out a low HP Roon so I saved that one  volley which would have secured our victory and fired on a Smol that was coming up my [edited]instead.  Well the Roon killed all 3 of us.  POint being it was a close run thing with "the writing on the wall" and 1 mistake of mine cost us the match.

The moral is Never throw your ship away because you are making bad guesses that matches are done early on.         

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Members
273 posts
7,532 battles

I was just telling some clan mates I nearly uninstalled twice this week. Not fun having your team potato and die 3 minutes in. No one can carry that hard. 

I had a roon who averaged 17k damage after 40 games. Told him " place safe and smart." Boom. First blood. Just depending on RNG MM IS getting tiresome

Edited by dps_gunner
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
1,990 posts
6,186 battles
15 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I actually like that. Sometimes I get a dumb idea, and that orange text makes me look a little deeper at what I was going to do.

It also (whether I'm just imagining things or not) makes me think that player is aware, and would either benefit from support, or support me if I make a decent play.

Same here. Get backs can be super helpful for me to also I know that I have used them and people have listened for good results. 

[RKLES]
Members
807 posts
6 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

The best feeling in WOWS is when you are completely engrossed in your flank, fighting tooth and nail in hard combat for ten minutes. You emerge victorious, having sunk two enemy ships, and secured the cap.

Then you notice the rest of the map. Nobody else on your team has killed anything. The other flank has collapsed completely. High tier ships on full health circle each other in the spawn. The enemy have lost two ships on your flank, and the cap, however they now control the other two caps. Somehow, 6 of your ships have gone down without sinking anything.

Your CV sends his aircraft half way across the map to secure a kill on a solitary enemy that is burning down. It is on fire, with 120 health remaining, when your CV unloads his bombs to get that kill. Now he fills chat with his instructions to target the enemy that is closest to him.

An Alaska guns down your top tier BB in a brawl, and the enemy DDs release all their torps from close range at the huddle in your spawn.

You search for the "scuttle ship" command, and wonder about the quality of men in the world today.

Yep, many matches are like that.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,991 posts
8,240 battles
6 hours ago, KosmicRavioli said:

It really hurts that spotting can only, reliably be done by ship classes that have a high skill floor to begin with. 

To be fair though, that's only an issue because those ships are present.

You can spot just as well in a CL, if no DDs are present.

6 hours ago, KosmicRavioli said:

Introduce multiple respawns....

After all the flak (no pun intended) about "unlimited planes"?

Maybe if survival rates were universally low to begin with, but with the difference in survival rates between good and bad players, you give everybody 3 "lives", and watch good players wreak havoc, while bad players still get sent to port early.

You get two equal teams, except one has a uni, you know how that's going to play out. At least now, that uni can be focussed out of the game.

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,318 battles

Looking at your team stats, seeing nothing higher than 40% wr with all your BB players game after game after game.

There are so many bad BB players now, there is no point half the time in a DD, other than go for damage, game was lost as soon as I hit the battle button.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[PT]
Members
783 posts
2,775 battles

Well my last game we only had 2 dds per side and both on my team were in a division. I felt we might have a good chance but no... They spot a enemy Atlanta and both the DDs elect to engage him with guns and torps. The Atlanta kills both of them in Under a minute and escapes before the slow to start BBs on my team can do anything. With no DDs or CV it was a auto lose as the 2 enemy Shimikazes murder my team.

Stuff like that makes me face palm. Two nublets ruin the game In the first 3m and my team has to spend the next 15m getting slowly picked off..

• Boring 1

[IRNBN]
Members
3,370 posts
9,776 battles
14 hours ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

Accuracy is important in WoW and drumming..

Except that when I'm ripping some licks I don't have RNG throwing me off-tempo in the middle of a 12/8 solo. RNG is like a bad bass player.  :Smile_teethhappy:

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles

> What makes this game so dam frustrating?

CVs

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,054 posts
36,011 battles

What makes this game so frustrating?

AA is useless. DDFAA is plain stupid.

The playerbase is the worst it has been since Alpha.

CVs simply adumbrate all the skills so many of us have acquired after thousands of games of play.

The devs do not care about game playablity or enjoyability. They seem to assume that the churn will offset the good, free-spending players who leave.

There are no new maps. When new maps are offered, they are more or less copies of previous maps.

The devs could care less about the tiers below T5.

No attempt is made to balance factors that throw matches out of whack -- large disparities in key stats between teams, unbalanced numbers of divisions on each side, disparities in CV skills, and in number of radar.

Simple changes, such as getting a button to turn off one's own emblem or to dismount all signals at once, take years to implement, if ever, while the game is flooded with mechanics no one asked for or needed. It has now been months of players complaining about 3v3 CV matches at T4, the devs simply don't care. No other business I have known treats customers this way.

Ships that need nerfed, such as the Krembroke and its absurd armor, get any nerf but the one they need.

The crappiness of high tier game play. There is a certain delicious irony in the devs trying to shove everyone up to T10, where the game play is by far the worst in WOWs.

• Cool 1

[PT]
Members
783 posts
2,775 battles
55 minutes ago, vak_ said:

> What makes this game so dam frustrating?

CVs

Well that and cruisers with their 21st century satellite Radar systems..

[AN2AC]
Members
106 posts
8,273 battles
13 hours ago, KosmicRavioli said:

That's probably me.

that's probably me rushing ... after supporting the DD and a few CA's in my Mass. They then get killed or run away and I'm left behind. 

3 choices

full astern and try and sink whats in front.

turn, broadside and probably die (if 5 ships appear).

Geronimo and take as many as I can.