You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
EtherianSpaceProgram

CV Hate

138 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
870 battles

I've seen a fair bit of hate directed against CVs. Why is that? Is it because the over or under powered? Personally, I quite like CVs. Fighting against them can be hard, but it's fun. Again, why all the hate?

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
10,682 posts
18,567 battles

They're disproportional ship class, that adds to the overall problem of WOWS in general...

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3

[RLGN]
Members
14,307 posts
25,245 battles

I don't hate carriers, just the pointless, stupid rework.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,114 posts
19,208 battles
1 hour ago, EtherianSpaceProgram said:

I've seen a fair bit of hate directed against CVs. Why is that? Is it because the over or under powered? Personally, I quite like CVs. Fighting against them can be hard, but it's fun. Again, why all the hate?

CVs are overpowered when compared to every other ship in the game, making it less fun to play for everyone not playing a CV. CVs have special fire and flooding mechanics, designed to make it harder to sink them than it is a regular ship. Plus CVs are very difficult to damage or sink, especially for other CVs, which only insures CVs never attack each other and only attack other types of ships. No other ship gets that kind of protection. This is just the beginning of why CVs are universally hated.

• Cool 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

Members
92 posts
1,030 battles
1 hour ago, EtherianSpaceProgram said:

Exactly me! I was in a game in the Hosho today and everyone started calling me air cancer, even my own team. When I got a kraken with 69k damage it wasn't fun watching the abuse... Why is there so much hate against carriers? I personally think that they're a (relatively) balanced game mechanic that bring fun to the people playing them. 

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
92 posts
1,030 battles
8 minutes ago, Umikami said:

CVs are overpowered when compared to every other ship in the game, making it less fun to play for everyone not playing a CV. CVs have special fire and flooding mechanics, designed to make it harder to sink them than it is a regular ship. Plus CVs are very difficult to damage or sink, especially for other CVs, which only insures CVs never attack each other and only attack other types of ships. No other ship gets that kind of protection. This is just the beginning of why CVs are universally hated.

I have seen this in action... Perhaps a nerf of the automatic fighter consumable could make it easier for CV-CV combat.

• Cool 1

Members
9 posts
870 battles

The hate is annoying, but personally I don't think I've encountered it as a CV, other ships yes. I also have Hosho. I also think carriers are a good game mechanic and they do bring fun to people who just play and not be asses. Questions, what is your opinion on Torpedo Bombers? I have quite the newfound respect from some battles yesterday.

15 minutes ago, PrinceOfTheOcean said:

Exactly me! I was in a game in the Hosho today and everyone started calling me air cancer, even my own team. When I got a kraken with 69k damage it wasn't fun watching the abuse... Why is there so much hate against carriers? I personally think that they're a (relatively) balanced game mechanic that bring fun to the people playing them. 

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,811 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

"Let them hate, as long as they fear."

Great quote :Smile_great:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,114 posts
19,208 battles
2 hours ago, PrinceOfTheOcean said:

I have seen this in action... Perhaps a nerf of the automatic fighter consumable could make it easier for CV-CV combat.

I think a revamping of the CV fire mechanic is in order; the ship which carries the most ammo, most explosives, and most fuel is the least likely to burn? CVs should burn faster and longer than any other type of ship. Their AA should be no better than any other type of ship, and fighters should just be removed all together. Fighters do no damage to ships, so why are they needed? Lower tiers get by without them with no problem at all.

• Cool 1

[QQ7]
Members
4 posts
8,175 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

I think a revamping of the CV fire mechanic is in order; the ship which carries the most ammo, most explosives, and most fuel is the least likely to burn? CVs should burn faster and longer than any other type of ship. Their AA should be no better than any other type of ship, and fighters should just be removed all together. Fighters do no damage to ships, so why are they needed? Lower tiers get by without them with no problem at all.

for starters why would a CVs AA be nerfed? and fighters are used to protect other players or even be used as spotting tools, the thing id say is limit the amount of CVs in-game in a match, for example, 1 t8 CV in a T8 match ovr or 2t6 CVs in a t8 match, allowing less pressure of players esp the DDs, but its odd you wont mention other ships with the same issues overall, krem, Smolensk, who btw krem has better AA build than that of a CV, there are alot of things to complain about but singling out a single class wont fix the game lol

• Cool 1

[EXPN]
Members
15 posts
2,001 battles
6 hours ago, PrinceOfTheOcean said:

same thing happens with all CVs we end up getting called sky cancer and then they still expect us to cover every player and their mother it gets annoying very quickly 

[ICBM]
Members
825 posts
9,371 battles

CVs really screw up the rest of the game. When you are in a CV match, all the clever flanking, sneaking, risk-taking maneuvers that make the gave fun become well-nigh suicidal when a squadron can pop up anytime, spot you, and (if you're a dd) eat about 30% of your health in rocket attacks. They provide so much visibility and are such a threat that they reward passive play because pushing up becomes a deathtrap. 

This might be okay if playing against them was fun, but its not. AA is just there. You don't do anything, just maneuver and hope to god your AA kills enough planes that you survive. Of course, AA is so weak now, unless you're bunched up, you're gonna get struck multiple times. Playing vs CV feels like being a duck in a shooting gallery. Sure, it's great fun for the CV, but not for anyone else. 

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,114 posts
19,208 battles
4 hours ago, SomaliasBest said:

for starters why would a CVs AA be nerfed?

Because CV AA is stronger than any other ship types AA.

and fighters are used to protect other players or even be used as spotting tools,

And if you watch the Developers video on the goals of the CV rework you will see where one of those goals was to fix CVs hovering their planes over a ship, permanently spotting it. Dropping fighters on a ship does exactly that. And CVs can spot with their strike aircraft, as CV spotting is also OP.

but its odd you wont mention other ships with the same issues overall, krem, Smolensk, who btw krem has better AA build than that of a CV, there are alot of things to complain about but singling out a single class wont fix the game lol

Here is something else that's odd, and also something you CV drivers never mention; those other ships get shot at all game long, taking damage and losing AA and secondary guns. CVs don't. So their "better AA" is degraded throughout the length of the game, where most CVs are never even shot at in a match and never lose their AA. Singling out the one type of ship that has consistently been OP since it's introduction and saying it needs to be balanced is EXACTLY the way to fix the game, except CV players don't want to lose their built in advantages.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
251 posts
8,015 battles

Cv's have good AA to stop cv's from sniping each other... as much as i hate cv's that needs to be there... if the enemy cv's sniped your cv at the start of the game most of the time its a instant loss.

Members
92 posts
1,030 battles
17 hours ago, EtherianSpaceProgram said:

Questions, what is your opinion on Torpedo Bombers? I have quite the newfound respect from some battles yesterday.

The Hosho's torpedo bombers are the best T4 torpedo bombers in the game, in my opinion. They do good damage and the torp speed makes it easy easy to hit them; I've pulled off multiple successful torpedo runs against destroyers. Especially if you get aircraft armor and torpedo acceleration, the torpedo squad is basically unbeatable in t4/t5 games. Like,  I did 33k damage with only torpedo bombers.

Edited by PrinceOfTheOcean
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,525 battles

The last "re-work" removed every odd-tiered Aircraft Carrier in the game and nerfed CV's capabilities to the way they are now.

No odd-tiered BB's, Cruisers or DD's were removed.

People whined enough that WOWs did the drastic measures which included *taking* ships from people's ports.

CV players used to be able to do more for their teams.  
Now, it is a struggle to keep a squadron above 50% strength versus AA, especially when up-tiered in a match.

The whining about CV's being <insert anti-cv phrase here> has been incessant, along with the simultaneous crying for "Intelligence Data!" and fighter cover.  Such behavior is disappointing, at best.

I'm grateful for every player I meet who appreciates the work that goes into becoming a competent CV player, let alone the devotion that goes into becoming a great one.

I had several matches this past weekend wherein I encountered players who were very adept at dodging aerial ordnance.  Several of them earned a "Worthy Adversary" compliment from me.

Their behavior seems to be setting the bar for learning to play well with CV's in a game.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

Members
92 posts
1,030 battles
5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I had several matches this past weekend wherein I encountered players who were very adept at dodging aerial ordnance.  Several of them earned a "Worthy Adversary" compliment from me.

How would you tell someone how to aim torpedoes at a cruiser; for some reason i can hit destroyers and battleships with a ful lsalvo but never manage cruisers; i usually hope my team kills them first :P. 

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
251 posts
8,015 battles
14 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The last "re-work" removed every odd-tiered Aircraft Carrier in the game and nerfed CV's capabilities to the way they are now.

No odd-tiered BB's, Cruisers or DD's were removed.

People whined enough that WOWs did the drastic measures which included *taking* ships from people's ports.

CV players used to be able to do more for their teams.  
Now, it is a struggle to keep a squadron above 50% strength versus AA, especially when up-tiered in a match.

The whining about CV's being <insert anti-cv phrase here> has been incessant, along with the simultaneous crying for "Intelligence Data!" and fighter cover.  Such behavior is disappointing, at best.

I'm grateful for every player I meet who appreciates the work that goes into becoming a competent CV player, let alone the devotion that goes into becoming a great one.

Their behavior seems to be setting the bar for learning to play well with CV's in a game.

You're attacking things at point blank the only time i miss things in cv's is if rng trolls me and i'm talking about dive bombers. If you can't hit things with torps and rockets you need to work on your game as cv's were simplified.

• Cool 1

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
251 posts
8,015 battles
On 3/16/2020 at 4:53 PM, EtherianSpaceProgram said:

Its because they completely destroy games for ships that need stealth, trying to play dd's with planes focusing you means you ether play passive and do jack shyt or die trying to do your job.

• Cool 3

[ICBM]
Members
825 posts
9,371 battles

I guarantee that if rocket planes were removed, at least 50% of the CV hate would disappear overnight. You can dodge torps and, to some degree, dive bombers, but it has been very rare that I see anyone dodging rocket planes. Those things are an I WIN! button. Completely OP. Honestly, if you took those away, I wouldn't mind CVs anymore. 

• Cool 1

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
251 posts
8,015 battles
7 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

I guarantee that if rocket planes were removed, at least 50% of the CV hate would disappear overnight. You can dodge torps and, to some degree, dive bombers, but it has been very rare that I see anyone dodging rocket planes. Those things are an I WIN! button. Completely OP. Honestly, if you took those away, I wouldn't mind CVs anymore. 

problem is they need a way to kill dd's bombs and torps don't cut it for that job... maybe if they widened the dispersion on rockets so t10 cv's don't hit dd's for 8 -12k damage lols.... the main thing that screws over dd's tho is the spotting for sure tho...

Edited by EraserNZ1

[ICBM]
Members
825 posts
9,371 battles
36 minutes ago, EraserNZ1 said:

problem is they need a way to kill dd's bombs and torps don't cut it for that job... maybe if they widened the dispersion on rockets so t10 cv's don't hit dd's for 8 -12k damage lols.... the main thing that screws over dd's tho is the spotting for sure tho...

I don't necessarily think that CV's should have an easy way to wipe out DDs. I mean, every ship has a counter. I don't think CVs should have tools to wipe out every ship. They have torps and bombs for BBs and cruisers. That's good enough. A skilled CV driver can still land bombs and even torps if they are good enough. That's fine. Killing DDs in a CV should be a skill, sort of like being able to land shots from range on DDs if you are in a BB. Shouldn't be as easy as it is with rocket planes. The fact that CVs can spot DDs so well and keep them permaspotted with fighter planes is enough of a counter for DDs. They shouldn't be able to nuke them so easily as well. 

• Cool 1

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
251 posts
8,015 battles
2 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

I don't necessarily think that CV's should have an easy way to wipe out DDs. I mean, every ship has a counter. I don't think CVs should have tools to wipe out every ship. They have torps and bombs for BBs and cruisers. That's good enough. A skilled CV driver can still land bombs and even torps if they are good enough. That's fine. Killing DDs in a CV should be a skill, sort of like being able to land shots from range on DDs if you are in a BB. Shouldn't be as easy as it is with rocket planes. The fact that CVs can spot DDs so well and keep them permaspotted with fighter planes is enough of a counter for DDs. They shouldn't be able to nuke them so easily as well. 

I agree mate i'm a dd main i hate cv's more then most.. but end game you need a way to kill dd's or its just as dumb as subs are going to be if only dd's can kill them.

• Cool 1

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
251 posts
8,015 battles

Game i just had two t10 cv's on each side, the cv's gangbanged our mino and kill him in less then 3 mins in and then the audacious killed me in 2 passes with rocket planes and people wonder why we hate cv's

shot-20.03.18_01.35.05-0753.jpg

the massive influx of cv players that transferred from the asian server is really hurting dd play atm :(

Edited by EraserNZ1