Sign in to follow this  
Snargfargle

Why Washing your Hands is as Good as Hand Sanitizer

5 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts

You should wash for at least 20 seconds. Use the stopwatch on your phone, count "one thousand one...," or sing "Happy Birthday to You" twice.

• Cool 3

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

Also using a towel to turn off the water after washing your hands is very important. If you touch the handle on the faucet with your clean hands you have  essentially just made them dirty again.

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,459 battles

You wash your hands a lot when you are taking care of a 101 year old. You also don't leave the house much. If I don't catch it at Aldi's when I go shopping every 3 to 4 weeks. I probably won't have to worry. I suppose I just won't worry about it anyway, since stress is the number 1 killer. Therefore live or die, I might as well not stress about it.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You wash your hands a lot when you are taking care of a 101 year old.

My elderly mother declined into dementia and required 24-hour care for several years, with it falling on Dad and me to be her caregivers because neither of my siblings could be bothered, so I can relate.

Now there's just Dad and me but it's much less of a stressful situation. Dad's in relative good health for his age and having survived three different types of cancer. Hopefully I can keep him so through this pandemic. My main problem is keeping him away from crowds because he's used to attending every wedding, funeral, birthday, ballgame, and graduation that he can get to.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Also using a towel to turn off the water after washing your hands is very important. If you touch the handle on the faucet with your clean hands you have  essentially just made them dirty again.

If in public, it's a good thing to use a paper towel when you have to touch anything but especially the door handle as you exit a bathroom after washing your hands. Also, if you use tongs at a salad bar, go to the bathroom and wash your hands before you sit down to eat. I've done this for years and have rarely come down with a gastrointestinal illness.

If you are in your own home you can usually get by with turning off the faucet using the back of your hand and just washing or spraying knobs with disinfectant periodically to help keep them germ-free. Make sure and clean the toilet seat and flush handle too. And don't forget the refrigerator and cabinet handles, car handles, and steering wheel.

When you go to the store, carry some disinfectant with you to sanitize the shopping cart handle and use it on your hands before you touch your keys to open your car. If nothing else it will be good training for the next cold and flu season. I'd say that the instances of all communicable diseases should decline in the next year due to people becoming more aware of what they touch, washing their hands more often, avoiding crowds, and abstaining from shaking hands. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Sign in to follow this