You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sinsokira

Graphics issue

32 comments in this topic

Members
31 posts
345 battles

Hello. My roomate has recently started to run into issues with he plays world of warships on his destop. He recently upgraded his video card to an AMD Radeon R9 200/HD 7900 series (7970) and when he plays this game the temp of the card get as high as 73c and the fans on the card start to spin faster and make a very loud noise

He cleans his pc at least 4 times a month (1 per week unless needed)

the temp in his room is at room temp (around 18 degreess for him he likes a cold room) and the pc has good air flow, he even keeps the side off the case jst to help

He is going to be replacing the fans soon on the back of the pc but that should not be an issue as he runs warcraft, swtor (mmo) diablo 3 and a ton of other games and the fans do not spin or make the same noise.

Has anyone else experince this issue or have tips he can try, like graphics settings or anything like that to maybe lower the load on the card to try and make it have to work a little less harder and to try and keep the temp down.

I would help him but unless its something to do with a game i have no knowledge as i run this game on a laptop and i have no issues

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,238 posts
1 hour ago, Sinsokira said:

AMD Radeon R9 200/HD 7900 series (7970) and when he plays this game the temp of the card get as high as 73c and the fans on the card start to spin faster and make a very loud noise

73C is a normal working temp for that card and its fan is going to spin up to cool it under load. You can reduce the GPU's load by setting Vsync on to limit the frames per second to the refresh rate of your monitor. If your card came factory overclocked you can make it run cooler by underclocking it a bit too. Use the overclocking program that it came with to do this. Adding an internal case fan directed toward the card oftentimes helps with cooling as well.

njjBH4aEfseL4AVLGsSJaQ-970-80.png

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
31 posts
345 battles

does he have to set the vsync in game or via the program that is with the card and he has attempted to alter some things with this card by putting the fan down to 20% but when eh did that the temp of the card jumped to 96c

[WORX]
Members
13,218 posts
20,079 battles

Since the WOWS is 50/50 GPU and CPU usage... I am always mindful if who ever installed the processor, they put thermal gel to protect over heating...

There are videos on youtube of what I am talking about... It does lower the temp a little, especially in overclocked state...

I recommend not to run WOWS on max lvl... Other then that, I have nothing to add to your relief.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,238 posts
44 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

does he have to set the vsync in game or via the program that is with the card and he has attempted to alter some things with this card by putting the fan down to 20% but when eh did that the temp of the card jumped to 96c

Don't lower the fan speed. The card's manufacturer has determined the fan speed needed to keep the card cool and has programmed it into the factory default settings. Unless you want to get a water cooling system and attach a block to the card you are just going to have to put up with the fan noise. The only other option would be to purchase a card with more, slower-running fans that produce less noise or get a newer model card that requires less power. 

Members
31 posts
345 battles

ok, he did it to test it to see what would happen when he saw it go that high he reset it back to defaulty, the Vsync, does he have to do that in game or with with program that came with his card

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,238 posts
2 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

ok, he did it to test it to see what would happen when he saw it go that high he reset it back to defaulty, the Vsync, does he have to do that in game or with with program that came with his card

Vsync is set in the game's graphics options if the card's software is set to allow programs to control settings. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,238 posts
Just now, Sinsokira said:

ok i just wanted to make sure cuase his card software that he uses comes with the option aswell

I edited it into my post but you may not have seen it. There is usually an option in the card's settings program to allow applications to change settings as needed. Usually you want this to be on so that you can change things for individual games within said games.

Members
31 posts
345 battles

oh so its kinda like an auto adjust, is it something to were it will adjust the game settings automatically? sorry if it is a dumb question just trying to get my information right

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,071 battles

If you want to limit fps, better off to adjust the fps cap in the engine config file.  I mean v-sync is to prevent texture tearing and most modern monitors do not have that problem.  There are some downsides if your system cannot maintain the 60fps or if you monitor is more than 60hz.

" IF your monitor is 60hz and you're getting more than 60 FPS, vSync will NOT reduce performance for ALL situations where the GPU is less than 100% utilized.
Once you get 100% utilization AND your FPS drops BELOW 60FPS, vSync DOES hurt performance.

If you get FPS drops in a game (say 90 FPS max, 75FPS avg, 30FPS min), vSync will DROP your min FPS, so it gets something like 60 FPS max, 55 FPS avg, 27 FPS min.

Adaptive vSync was invented precisely to deal with this performance drop.

Saying vSync does not drop performance at all means you're making fun of the people who invented Adaptive vSync "

From Overclock.net

Members
31 posts
345 battles

he uses a tv and if he goes back to his orignal settings his fps is around 80 and the game runs smooth, all he wants to do which is why i started asking here is to find a way to lessen the load on his video card so the fan is not so loud til he can get his tech guy to look at the card

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,071 battles

Taking the side off a computer can actually disrupt the intended airflow of the case.  If the case has ample fans there is no reason to remove it, plus you get more dust.  If you want to cap the FPS it is very easy.  Find "res mods" folder then find the engine_config file, left click and open with notepad.  Find the fps cap and change it to what you want, then save the file.  The game should be closed while doing this.  Currently I have mine at 100 because I have a 144hz monitor. 

Desktop Screenshot 2020.03.16 - 02.06.37.63.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.03.16 - 02.10.47.52.png

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,071 battles
3 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

he uses a tv and if he goes back to his orignal settings his fps is around 80 and the game runs smooth, all he wants to do which is why i started asking here is to find a way to lessen the load on his video card so the fan is not so loud til he can get his tech guy to look at the card

Make sure triple buffering is off and settings are on low.  You can try that.  You can also try reduces textures mod.

Members
31 posts
345 battles

i might get him to try that, anything he can do to quiet the fan is gonna be good, he has a 5 year old which is why im doing so much to try and help him

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,071 battles
1 minute ago, Sinsokira said:

could doing that lighen the load some on his video card?

Playing with everything on low might.  The default fps cap is 75, so changing that to 60 won't improve performance. 

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,071 battles
5 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

i might get him to try that, anything he can do to quiet the fan is gonna be good, he has a 5 year old which is why im doing so much to try and help him

Is this an old video card?  I mean every 2 years or so I remove the heatsink off my video card and cpu to apply new thermal paste.  Most of it lasts longer than two years, I just enjoy doing it. 

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

Members
31 posts
345 battles

im not sure of the age of the card, his old one was failing so he picked up the one he has from a pawnshop so its second hand,

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,238 posts

As stated above, setting the game's graphics setting slower may lessen the load on the card and make it run cooler and quieter. You cna monitor this by using HWmonitor or GPU-Z.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,071 battles

If he isn't familiar with thermal paste, then I don't know.  Maybe his power supply can't handle the new card?  I would check that also.  A 7970 requires a 550w I just read.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,238 posts
2 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

im not sure of the age of the card, his old one was failing so he picked up the one he has from a pawnshop so its second hand,

I wouldn't mess with thermal paste as 73 C is a normal operating temperature for that card. It just must be a noisy brand.

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,071 battles

Agreed as long as it stays under 85 C.  You would have to check into why the fan is spinning so much and if that is normal.  Could be a setting in video card software.  Maybe he accidentally hit overlock in it lol.  Could be so many things a bios setting or update.

Doesn't hurt to run the serial number into the website to see if its under warranty, not likely though.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0