You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rumple010

Visby torpedoes are damage monsters

55 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,512 posts
13,885 battles
8 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

I think its cool how WG made a ship line without torpedoes but made it look like it has them.

Aloha,

Have you looked at the torpedo reload and speed of these torps? Believe it or not, we're going to have more torp hits than an average DD due to this. This is the reason the damage is lower. I have had some of the highest torp count battles in EU DD's since testing.

More torp hits, means a bleed of damage, possible floods that players automatically repair and then you start them on fire.  They really are VERY effective.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,424 posts

EU DDs are buss boys not waiters.  They are only good at cleaning up after something else has eaten lunch.

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

0 posts
44 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Have you looked at the torpedo reload and speed of these torps? Believe it or not, we're going to have more torp hits than an average DD due to this. This is the reason the damage is lower. I have had some of the highest torp count battles in EU DD's since testing.

More torp hits, means a bleed of damage, possible floods that players automatically repair and then you start them on fire.  They really are VERY effective.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

I can confirm this, Visby's torps (and so I guess all the EU line) have very good reload times (under 1 minute), good range for their respective tiers, excellent speed and tight dispersion making them hard to avoid. On the down side, their moderate/weak dmg reminds me of how CV torps are since the rework.

All in all, I see no reason (for me) to complain about their torps.

Now, about the guns, I wish to lodge a complaint : EU dd guns are crap, terrible range & no smoke = painful combination.

• Cool 2

[WG]
3,512 posts
13,885 battles
18 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I can confirm this, Visby's torps (and so I guess all the EU line) have very good reload times (under 1 minute), good range for their respective tiers, excellent speed and tight dispersion making them hard to avoid. On the down side, their moderate/weak dmg reminds me of how CV torps are since the rework.

All in all, I see no reason (for me) to complain about their torps.

Now, about the guns, I wish to lodge a complaint : EU dd guns are crap, terrible range & no smoke = painful combination.

What tier of the DD's have you played so far? The guns DO get better.

-Hapa

• Cool 1

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,212 battles

I came up on IJN torps. When I see a torp hit a ship, I expect that ship to sink.

Call me old fashioned.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 7

0 posts
7 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

What tier of the DD's have you played so far? The guns DO get better.

-Hapa

I have only started playing them today (past couple of hours) Visby >Väst and Skåne. I guess unless I spec a captain in AFT, (or use my Friesland's captain/  19pter) I'll just have to deal with their short range.

"Git gud" as I tell others/

[TDRB]
Members
5,123 posts
13,731 battles

In theory this sounds workable. The problem here is you're more dependent on RNG. IF you get flooding and IF you or someone else starts a fire. On my Atlanta, no IFHE, I've had many well over 200 HE hits & caused only 2 or 3 fires. I've also been hit by many torpedoes & never suffered any flooding.

I've had games where my shells hit half short & the other half most every salvo. Yes, I've had a single hit to the radar mast or on the fantail & received a citadel. As you are well aware of nobody complains when RNG smiles on them but when RNG is against you most everybody complains.

[FORM]
Members
1,624 posts
11,291 battles
11 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

I think its cool how WG made a ship line without torpedoes but made it look like it has them.

They were developed by the Psychological Warfare division - 87% fear, 13% damage

• Funny 5

[NUWES]
Members
3,132 posts
10,666 battles
26 minutes ago, TheArc said:

They were developed by the Psychological Warfare division - 87% fear, 13% damage

Lol. I slammed two into a Mahan yesterday and it didn't even take him to half damage. 

• Cool 2

[-AHOY]
Members
256 posts
7,300 battles

These torps are like long-range radar or location finder. You send them towards suspected presence area of enemy ships and once they hit, you know where the enemy is.

• Funny 1

Members
3,082 posts
6,614 battles
3 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Yes, but also no. I kind of think of them as almost like aircraft torpedoes. You don't have tons of tubes. At the mid-tiers, having only six tubes of extremely derpy fish is tough. They reload very fast, but "very fast" is still slower than all battleships, so you do need to pick and choose carefully what you do. I do notice that you seem to get floods more often.

But I had a monster Skane game with 15 torpedo hits. It was a standard game, and I ended up behind a small island in the enemy base, and as the only destroyer left, I would reverse out, launch torpedoes at the cruisers and battleships desperately charging back to their base, then scoot back behind cover. Did that five or six times and sank a New Mexico and ran off another battleship and two cruisers, then solo-capped the base for the win. 

[FORM]
Members
1,624 posts
11,291 battles
3 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Lol. I slammed two into a Mahan yesterday and it didn't even take him to half damage. 

I dropped 5 into a Sinop, the only thing impressive about it was the sound it made. :-/

• Funny 1

[WG]
3,512 posts
13,885 battles
51 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Can the Visby be a good torp DD with so so guns ???

Aloha,

IMO, definitely!  Though her spotting range could make it not so much... Then again I think you can get her reload down to like 48sec or something like that maybe? So perhaps you're right.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[WORX]
Members
10,619 posts
18,506 battles
2 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

IMO, definitely!  Though her spotting range could make it not so much... Then again I think you can get her reload down to like 48sec or something like that maybe? So perhaps you're right.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

If you remember our/your inaugural torpedo jousting with Fem and Keith :cap_rambo:... I'll make it work...

Mahalo Hapa...

• Funny 1

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
494 posts
11,284 battles
8 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Mahalo,

-Hapa

The PE boats are woefully unprepared for CoOp play. Small HP pool, low damage torps, and weak guns. Reload speed rarely helps and spotting damage is barely a factor in earning credits or xp.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,978 posts
20,683 battles
6 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Mahalo,

-Hapa

I took my 11 point bliss captain and put it on her.

Pt. Ls. SI. CE.

58 second torps.

8 km range.

6 km conceal.

Her guns are okish. More for kiting away.

Dispersion seems wonky due to the single barrel turret, but usuable.

Very good vs inexperienced red dd players.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,978 posts
20,683 battles
14 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Shhh.....

It's supposed to be a secret like how bad Visby's AA is.

Only 30 planes shot down in a match.

[CCF]
Members
742 posts
7,773 battles

Just had a battle in T-6 DD, 5 hits all at once on BB 29k dmg and it still had 30% of its hp iirc. 

Simply put no torp hits and u will be scoring low as the guns are very situational cuz no smoke.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,212 battles

Just watched a Visby hit a CV with 6, count them, 6 torps. It's health went from around 2/3 to around 1/2.

Naturally, the Visby died to the secondaries of the CV.

Once again, the WG design team show that they have very serious problems translating their ideas into the game. I'm not even bothered by this. I just find it astounding, that such a manifestly useless mechanic could pass inspection, and make it into the game.

I begin to question the maturity, and sobriety, of the leadership at WG.

• Boring 1

Members
3,082 posts
6,614 battles
9 hours ago, contag10n said:

The PE boats are woefully unprepared for CoOp play. Small HP pool, low damage torps, and weak guns. Reload speed rarely helps and spotting damage is barely a factor in earning credits or xp.

I actually started farming all my Pan-Sweden missions in Random Battles, which I ordinarily hate. Even a middle-of-the-road loss random game in a Pan-Sweden DD is better than I can do with them in Co-op with any reliability.

I have found that in Randoms they are kind of like the Spanish Inquisition. No one expects them, and you often get ignored. But when that Smolensk thought he was safely spamming from that smoke cloud, a tight spread of eight or ten torpedoes from 12 km away can rapidly disabuse him of  that notion.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 1

Members
438 posts
202 battles
18 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Except flooding got nerfed LOL nice try though.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles

Visby's torpedoes suck so bad, man.  I got her yesterday with tokens and tried her out in Co-op and the damage results are just awful.

My first game with her in Co-op, I got 3 hits in on a bot Kongo for a super-amazing 12.5k damage.

2kR7l3V.jpg

Second game.

lwQGbzV.jpg

3 torp hits on a bot Bretagne for 11k damage.

1 torp hit on a PEF for a whopping 3.5k damage.

The most damning thing was 3 torp hits on a Cruiser, Trento, for an amazing 13k damage.

This weak display of torpedo "power" made me curious about the rest of the tech tree line.  I never researched anything about this line when it was a WiP.  Only thing I knew was the "IKEA DD Line" as a joke.  But looking up these tech tree ships in the fitting tool, they all got very weak torpedoes.

• Cool 1