You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Saint Louis suggestions please

20 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

I just picked up the T9 French Saint Louis. Is she like the Charles Martel or does she play different?

I copied My Charles Martel commander's build. While there is time for a rebuild at no cost any suggestions on the commanders build?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,747 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

I just picked up the T9 French Saint Louis. Is she like the Charles Martel or does she play different?

I copied My Charles Martel commander's build. While there is time for a rebuild at no cost any suggestions on the commanders build?

Nope.

Just play at range. Try to support a flank.

Dont be first in.

• Cool 2

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,461 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Plays the exact same as Martel.  Get the Engine Boost Modification for Slot 2, you can spend almost the entire game with your Engine Boost running (I recommend it on all French cruisers).  Funny you posted this; I played the Saint Louis today for the first time in a while and had my best game ever in her:

saint_louis1.JPG

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,085 posts
23,857 battles

FR Cruisers are consistent in playstyle.  Stay at range in open water, WASD Hax, Engine Boost going, and Burn Them All.

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,461 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Forgot my captain build:

saint_louis-captain.JPG

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
867 posts
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

FR Cruisers are consistent in playstyle.  Stay at range in open water, WASD Hax, Engine Boost going, and Burn Them All.

This.  Get the engine boost.  It really throws people off when trying to target you.  You can demount it for 25 dbs and install it on HenryIV when you get there.  I don't play Saint Louis since I got the Henry.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,461 battles
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The French are good fire starters but a lot of people neglect the AP which is actually pretty good.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

The T9 St. Louis has big guns and is a great fire starter.  The speed of the ship allows you to move around and be a hard target to hit, so play at range for safety.  Use AP in those big guns when a nice broadside target presents itself.  I would use Jack of All Trades instead of EL and PM.  EL and PM are both generally something that affects you more for close range combat, and JOAT is something that will cycle your consumables faster, which helps everything in the game for this ship.

Edited by Murcc
wrong spelling gave wrong info

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,461 battles
48 minutes ago, Murcc said:

The T9 St. Louis has big guns and is a great fire starter.  The speed of the ship allows you to move around and be a hard target to hit, so play at range for safety.  Use AP in those big guns when a nice broadside target presents itself.  I would use Jack of All Trades instead of EM and PM.  EM and PM are both generally something that affects you more for close range combat, and JOAT is something that will cycle your consumables faster, which helps everything in the game for this ship.

I could see giving up EM for JOAT.  I prefer the faster turret traverse especially when dealing with DDs and I like being able to keep my turrets on target while turning away. I wouldn't give up PM under any circumstances because French cruisers lose their steering far too often, which is why it's practically mandatory to take LS.

[WOLF3]
Members
309 posts
9,602 battles

Not to far off from where im at. You might consider RPF if you want to hunt DDs better and guard flanks. My last skill will likely be fire chance. Its a good cruiser in most ways but durability and relies on long range. I would also add rudder shift mod the thing to make hitting it even harder.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Drifter_X

[WOLF3]
Members
27,085 posts
23,857 battles
2 hours ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

The French are good fire starters but a lot of people neglect the AP which is actually pretty good.

CA AP is useful in certain situations, but generally, FR Cruiser AP is on the meh side of penetration capability.  USN & German & ITA CAs have good AP Pen for the size, RN & IJN CAs on the bad side, and the FR are in the middle.  Only Henri IV at Tier X with her rather large 240mm guns has strong AP Pen.  Saint-Louis in Tier IX is actually still "meh" in that department.

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,461 battles
27 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

CA AP is useful in certain situations, but generally, FR Cruiser AP is on the meh side of penetration capability.  USN & German & ITA CAs have good AP Pen for the size, RN & IJN CAs on the bad side, and the FR are in the middle.  Only Henri IV at Tier X with her rather large 240mm guns has strong AP Pen.  Saint-Louis in Tier IX is actually still "meh" in that department.

I guess I've just had good luck with it.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,085 posts
23,857 battles
1 hour ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

I guess I've just had good luck with it.

It'll still work if the opportunity arises.  The same way Atago is more known for her HE, but she is rather stealthy and may find herself with a chance to give someone a special surprise.  HE is her specialty, but another Cruiser showing broadside can still be heavily punished by Cruiser AP.

HE spam is convenient, consistent, but it doesn't have the alpha striking, punishing power of proper AP Citadel hits which tend to be more decisive and the effects longer lasting even if the target survives.  Repair Party heals little of Citadel damage.

Also side note, Henri IV's 240mm AP can Overmatch the bows of High Tier RN CLs.  But that's a detail that gets lost with some of her users because they keep the "1" on at all times when "2" key would punish better.

Edit:  I remember a while back a Minotaur player posted about his concern engaging a Henri IV.  He said he got saved because the Henri player was only using HE and would not use AP to punish his Mino.  He was really worried about Henri's 240mm AP Overmatching his defensive profile, but the Henri player didn't know about his advantage and just kept on firing HE.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
20 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I found the Saint Louis a bit underwhelming. Not because she is a bad ship, but because the Martel is so strong it’s like a tier 8.5 cruiser, and thus the Saint Louis at T9 feels a bit weaker/more appropriate for its tier. 

But yes, they play the same. But at T9 you get a heal and the T9 reload booster so you can take a few more risks. 

Edit: Also agree with what @HazeGrayUnderway has said. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
53 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I found the Saint Louis a bit underwhelming. Not because she is a bad ship, but because the Martel is so strong it’s like a tier 8.5 cruiser, and thus the Saint Louis at T9 feels a bit weaker/more appropriate for its tier. 

But yes, they play the same. But at T9 you get a heal and the T9 reload booster so you can take a few more risks. 

Edit: Also agree with what @HazeGrayUnderway has said. 

My 1st coop was a disaster. 3 of us collided & I was the one that took the broadside from an Iowa. My 1st random was good for me. Our CV was good & the red team's CV was sunk early because he charged down the middle & at least 4 ships were pounding him. It wasn't a smart move for his team. 4 of use was able to dominate the areas we pushed into.

The Fiji & Edinburgh are the same The Fiji is like a T7.5 & the Edinburgh is just an 8.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles
On 3/16/2020 at 4:05 PM, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

I could see giving up EM for JOAT.  I prefer the faster turret traverse especially when dealing with DDs and I like being able to keep my turrets on target while turning away. I wouldn't give up PM under any circumstances because French cruisers lose their steering far too often, which is why it's practically mandatory to take LS.

Oops....I meant EL, not EM.  I like EM too.  But, I hardly use PM on any of my ships.  It effectively increases the module health value by 30% , which isn't much in the whole scheme of things, especially when you consider the amount of damage they can take from some shots.  When you factor in distance for some long range ships, they don't put themselves in close proximity harms way as much, so the point can often be better spent somewhere else.  But, there really isn't any bad points spent in any of these selections.  It's all just a matter of personal preference.

Members
927 posts
10,250 battles

I am not having a good time with my recently acquired Saint-Louis myself.  I have 16-point JJ Honore as her commander, with PT, PM / AR*, EM* / DE, SI / CE.  Loss after loss, and it seems I just get wrecked when the BBs target me (which they always do!) regardless of angle.  I suppose I need to get better at staying at long range and speed boost / WASD to try to make them miss.

Has anyone thought about using the new Ship Consumables Mod1 in slot 5 instead of Concealment?  Saint-Louis has a lot of consumables, and the extended time of speed boost and main gun reload booster and repair party could come in handy.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,085 posts
23,857 battles
8 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

I am not having a good time with my recently acquired Saint-Louis myself.  I have 16-point JJ Honore as her commander, with PT, PM / AR*, EM* / DE, SI / CE.  Loss after loss, and it seems I just get wrecked when the BBs target me (which they always do!) regardless of angle.  I suppose I need to get better at staying at long range and speed boost / WASD to try to make them miss.

Has anyone thought about using the new Ship Consumables Mod1 in slot 5 instead of Concealment?  Saint-Louis has a lot of consumables, and the extended time of speed boost and main gun reload booster and repair party could come in handy.

You're a Cruiser.  Battleships tend to favor shooting at Cruisers instead of another Battleship, unless the BB target is showing broadside.  Why would I waste my Battleship's AP salvo against some angled, heavily armored Battleship instead of a squishy Cruiser?

If I was in a Cruiser + 2 BB + 1 DD group, I am not surprised if I am the one with most of the enemy ships shooting at my Cruiser.  The Cruiser is easiest to kill in that group, unless the DD does something incredibly stupid out front.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,461 battles
7 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Ideally you want to always be kiting away, never getting closer than about 14km, and just user your HE.  If your speed boost is down, probably a good time to go dark if you can and reposition, wait for you speed boost to come back up and go back at it.  It's why I recommend Engine Boost Modification 1 in slot 2, you get 4 1/2 minutes for each use and only 90 seconds of cool down.

I don't think the Ship Consumables Mod is worth it over Concealment System Mod, if I were to give up the concealment mod I'd go with Steering Gears Mod 2 as that's a pretty viable build given that you're going to spend most of your time running and shooting while dodging incoming shots.