You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Barry_Ynes

modern ships

38 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
581 battles

I was wondering if there was ever a thought of using modern warships and aircraft in the game. I noticed that there are no ships anywhere near the modern age. As I see the ships in the lists in the tech tree, I noticed that the most modern ship is dated 1956. I would like to see something a little closer to now. Is there a chance this could happen soon?

• Funny 1
  • Confused 3

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
Just now, Barry_Ynes said:

I was wondering if there was ever a thought of using modern warships and aircraft in the game. I noticed that there are no ships anywhere near the modern age. As I see the ships in the lists in the tech tree, I noticed that the most modern ship is dated 1956. I would like to see something a little closer to now. Is there a chance this could happen soon?

Image result for modern warships meme

• Cool 5

Members
404 posts
3,852 battles

Most of the playerbase despises not being able to defend themselves from unseen threats (like CVs and subs) - which modern warfare is all about.

So this will definitely happen at some point.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[IRNBN]
Members
3,394 posts
9,822 battles
19 minutes ago, Barry_Ynes said:

Not likely. Even allowing as this is an arcade game and not a simulator, modern naval combat since the mid-1960's would make for very, very short games featuring a pretty brain-dead playstyle. Like, target weapons, everybody dies, game over. WOWS maps are too small and modern weapons are too powerful.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,927 posts
11,602 battles
27 minutes ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

when technology and missiles became the name of the game, id give ANYTHING for the battleship to still be a thing used and be built nowadays, but alas, the rise of technology and missiles stopped this

Edited by tcbaker777

[DRAH]
Members
370 posts
9,130 battles

Modern warships and their weapons systems would make a VERY bad match with the current game. Homing missiles that can 1 hit kill a ship would be a bad idea and if they did get into range of the enemy guns they have exactly zero armor. This is why the General Belgrano was sunk with extreme prejudice in the Falklands conflict, her old guns could make a real mess of a modern ship.

[NFJF]
Members
653 posts
9,895 battles

At this point why not? I mean AP rockets on CVs? Might as well just go ahead and give them f-18 superhornets with radar guided anti ship missiles than can lock on and kill ships across the map in 1 hit. And then go ahead and add in the Arleigh Burke class, Zumwalt, Nimitz and Gerald R Ford classes. Lets also not forget the all important guided missile cruisers, ballistic missile submarines and the mighty Kirov battlecruiser! I'm sure it would be great fun playing against them in the t10s we have right now!

• Confused 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

While it might be interesting the missile age of naval warfare is a very different game than what we have.

[GPORT]
Members
182 posts
11,603 battles

Anyone remember Strike Fleet for the ol' C64 ?

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,643 posts
5,000 battles
On 3/15/2020 at 1:36 PM, admiralsexybeast said:

At this point why not? I mean AP rockets on CVs?

The British used AP rockets fired by aircraft at ships in WWII.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

The progression of naval technology as the years went on after WWII would be unrecognizable for WoWS.  We'd be playing with sensors and deciding when to launch missiles, torpedoes, aircraft.

We'd really only be looking at something like a radar screen and getting ready to push a button to launch missiles.

Guns faded in importance.  Not removed altogether, but navies transitioned to other weapons in importance.

And judging how you people around here panicked about WWII-era submarines introduced into WoWS, Cold War-era or newer submarines are even more terrifying.

Members
17 posts
635 battles
On 3/15/2020 at 12:24 PM, BrushWolf said:

While it might be interesting the missile age of naval warfare is a very different game than what we have.

I agree, but I would also like to try an over the horizon type of game

Members
17 posts
635 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The progression of naval technology as the years went on after WWII would be unrecognizable for WoWS.  We'd be playing with sensors and deciding when to launch missiles, torpedoes, aircraft.

We'd really only be looking at something like a radar screen and getting ready to push a button to launch missiles.

Guns faded in importance.  Not removed altogether, but navies transitioned to other weapons in importance.

And judging how you people around here panicked about WWII-era submarines introduced into WoWS, Cold War-era or newer submarines are even more terrifying.

Thats true, I think people underestimate what modern naval warfare is like,  they always showed as a green flair to me, lol.   as a strike warfare guy, over the horizon engagements would be slow and tedious to game players.  study of nav charts, and selecting search patterns for the weapons is kind of boring.  until you tell a LCDR in a p3  as a 3rd class PO to get the name of the ships so you can decided what pattern to use. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,862 posts
12,803 battles

I would imagine the game to be stupidly boring with post WW2 weapons.

It would be entirely comprised of guided missiles that go through 1000mm of armor at any angle from 50km away.

There's a reason why Stalin's naval plans were scrapped and it's because guided missiles and jet attack aircraft made all WW2 ships redundant and obsolete.

Edited by MrDeaf

Members
17 posts
635 battles

Guns not totally unused in the modern world Lebanon late 80's

2243055964_0306443128_b.jpg

[-SD]
Alpha Tester
246 posts
3,425 battles

Umm.   The capability  of a modern dd?    Modern ships are definitely  stronger than anything in game.     They could not balance them.

Members
17 posts
635 battles

they actuality have more fire power than a ww2 battle ship,   not more than a gulf war battle ship, just saying

Members
17 posts
635 battles

I can recall an event that I put 24 thousand pounds of HE on a single target in 1993

Members
17 posts
635 battles

all this said, I would also like to try something form the 18th century, or 17th century naval combat

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
25 minutes ago, Caron_ said:

I agree, but I would also like to try an over the horizon type of game

Look up Harpoon. Matrix games has it and it is older and not cheap but was the best modern game over about a 20 year period and their version gets you all of them.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/larry-bonds-harpoon-ultimate-edition