You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ragnar608

Questions from a beginner

25 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
731 battles

Trying WOWS after playing a couple years in Tanks but as most newbies I assume, I'm struggling.  I"m at tier 3 (maybe 50 games?) and thinking of focusing on US Cruisers, IJN Battleships and maybe IJN Cruisers.  Co-op games seem too easy but I generally get steam-rolled in random battles.  So I had a few questions that maybe you could help with before I invest too much time/effort into what seems like beating my head against a wall (I feel like this game has an equally frustrating learning curve as WOT). 

1. Are the US Cruiser and IJN BB/CA lines new person friendly?  
  2. Currently at tier 3, 4+ minute queues are not unusual but I'd say often average 2-3 minutes.  Is this normal?  Does it get better as you get into higher tiers where I assume more people are playing?
  3. Why are some matches 6 v 6?  8 v 8? or 12 v 12?  Is it based on map size?  Player availability?
  4. Specifically for cruisers -- I know each ship is unique, but what is the general role for torps?  Defensive?  Offensive?  Area denial?
  5. At what tier is it worth utilizing the upgrade slots?  Right away...?  I assume early tiers you don't spend as much time in, so I'm thinking of de-mounting costs and such.

Are there any YouTubers/Streamers that are worth watching for teaching of strategy and basics?  I've caught Jingles, Notser, Flambass, Flamuu are a handful of others.  All good players, but I'm not sure how much teaching is happening.

Thanks a bunch!

[5D2]
[5D2]
Members
384 posts
8,377 battles

Based on your number of games you are still in “daycare” for boats. Typically in games against other newer players and bots before being released into genpop. 

My best suggestion: I attempted to pick a line or two to grind to tier 10 from the beginning.  It was a struggle. The game experience can go south in a hurry around tier 5 and 6 if you don’t have at least some experience. My advice is this. Don’t shoehorn yourself into one or two lines. Play them all or as many as you can based upon port slot availability and advance your way up slowly. This will help you figure out a class or playstyle within that class that suits you.

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

Flambass is doing a series right now that is teaching.... why he does things etc.

Your ship line is questions is more a preference to your play style, if you like sniping BB and of those IJN if you like being a sneaky little turd then play IJN DD if you like to throw daka around hide all game  then USN Cruisers..... Now when you hit t-10 all bets are off.

Knowing what I do now I doubt I would changed  thing, I grinded all nations all lines up to t-10 and of all ships my favorite is still my Yugumo IJN DD T-9 built like a ghost with torp reload. It is just a enjoyable ship to play and I consider at successful game in it, one where i was never spotted all game (no cv game) My second favorite is is probably a tie between my Kurf and Yammy built full secondary yammy maybe gets the edge from the pure giggles i get seeing a dd have a heart attack when i turn on the secondaries when he hits 8km its so funny to watch them have that heart failure moment make a mistake and meet the big guns.

Now wait times.... Blame it on the CV always

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,421 battles

1: Cruisers in general are not beginner friendly. USN and IJN are good starters but they are easily sank by Battleships when played incorrectly. Battleships are the most beginner friendly.

2: High tier queues are usually less than a minute unless you play at 3am

3: It is either because you have protected matchmaking (because you are new) or low tier matchmaking. Most of the games you play in mid and high tiers should be 12 v 12

4: Torpedoes are always situational. Do not try to be proactive with them and try to get within range but instead be reactive and know you have an extra tool for when the enemy does get within range.

5: You can sell the upgrades instead of demounting for half their cost. You should do this starting at T5.

6: Yes CVs are hated. The only thing worse than CVs are the CV apologists that defend them.

For streamers I would recommend I-Chase for beginner videos and Flamu for more advanced videos.

Jingles is more about entertainment than knowledge.

And Notser....well, lets just say you will do better by doing the exact opposite of what he tell you. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,030 posts
6,201 battles
21 minutes ago, Ragnar608 said:

Trying WOWS after playing a couple years in Tanks but as most newbies I assume, I'm struggling.  I"m at tier 3 (maybe 50 games?) and thinking of focusing on US Cruisers, IJN Battleships and maybe IJN Cruisers.  Co-op games seem too easy but I generally get steam-rolled in random battles.  So I had a few questions that maybe you could help with before I invest too much time/effort into what seems like beating my head against a wall (I feel like this game has an equally frustrating learning curve as WOT). 

2. Currently at tier 3, 4+ minute queues are not unusual but I'd say often average 2-3 minutes.  Is this normal?  Does it get better as you get into higher tiers where I assume more people are playing?
  3. Why are some matches 6 v 6?  8 v 8? or 12 v 12?  Is it based on map size?  Player availability?
  4. Specifically for cruisers -- I know each ship is unique, but what is the general role for torps?  Defensive?  Offensive?  Area denial?
  5. At what tier is it worth utilizing the upgrade slots?  Right away...?  I assume early tiers you don't spend as much time in, so I'm thinking of de-mounting costs and such.

Are there any YouTubers/Streamers that are worth watching for teaching of strategy and basics?  I've caught Jingles, Notser, Flambass, Flamuu are a handful of others.  All good players, but I'm not sure how much teaching is happening.

Thanks a bunch!

Yo not a direct answer but if you have voice comms, id be happy to jump on and play half hour to an hour with ya.  Answer some questions and show you some of the basics. 

[BB-57]
Members
343 posts
13,740 battles

Stay in Co-op for a while, have fun, try different things.... Learn. Have fun and don't be too willing to rush up the lines, as you will be outclassed and things will become ...un-fun.

1- Try them all,see which seem to work for you

2- Co-op is 30 sec... have fun, learn

3- # of players

4- Me.. Defensive, find yourself too close...TORPS!

5- If you play enough... upgrade everything, every bit helps.

0 posts
26 minutes ago, Ragnar608 said:
  • Are the US Cruiser and IJN BB/CA lines new person friendly?  
  • Currently at tier 3, 4+ minute queues are not unusual but I'd say often average 2-3 minutes.  Is this normal?  Does it get better as you get into higher tiers where I assume more people are playing?
  • Why are some matches 6 v 6?  8 v 8? or 12 v 12?  Is it based on map size?  Player availability?
  • Specifically for cruisers -- I know each ship is unique, but what is the general role for torps?  Defensive?  Offensive?  Area denial?
  • At what tier is it worth utilizing the upgrade slots?  Right away...?  I assume early tiers you don't spend as much time in, so I'm thinking of de-mounting costs and such.
  1. yes, as in they are at the core of how the game is balanced, and are a good place to start, while you learn the intracacies of WOWS.
  2. queue times vary according to the time of day, but also depending on the tier. Low tier queue times can be quite long, at low server population hours
  3. player availability
  4. cruisers have every role; they are the multi tool of WOWS. But your role will vary depending on the type of cruiser you are driving. Cruisers encompass dd sized pewpewers (light cruisers) to battleship sized behemoths (super cruisers)
  5. As soon as you can use the upgrade slots, use them.

[IRNBN]
Members
3,410 posts
9,849 battles
24 minutes ago, Ragnar608 said:

Oh, and are CV's as universally hated in this game as artillery is in WOT?

Universally? No. Frequently? Yes. CV's get more salt than bacon soaked in sea water.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,816 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, Ragnar608 said:

Co-op games seem too easy but I generally get steam-rolled in random battles.

You're at 37 games.  Until 70 games you enjoy protected matchmaking, meaning the system won't put you up against experienced players in Random.  So keep playing Randoms for now and enjoy the larger rewards (you get more than Co-op even when you lose).  This is also why you're seeing longer wait times and possibly short player lists.

Yes, there's a learning curve.

Edited by iDuckman

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

1. Yes the US cruiser line is considered friendly. In fact the US lines are all friendly. There is a disagreement over the IJN lines.

2. The time of day you are playing also has a lot to do with the wait time.

3. As with time in queue, this is player availability related. In the wee hours of the morning I've had 1v 1 matches.

4. This applies to DD's as well. In randoms the longer the range to more offensive your torpedoes become. The shorter the range the more dependent on your guns.

5. I couldn't answer that.

This game does have a learning curve. Coops can teach a lot of bad habits for random battles. You find experienced players in low tier randoms for various reasons. This adds to new player frustration.

A CV rework was implemented in January of 2019. The war over CV's has been hot & heavy since then.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,147 posts
8,353 battles
24 minutes ago, Ragnar608 said:

No. But many that hate them do hate them as much as arty.

Also, where the very concept of arty is hated in WoT, most here seem merely to hate the way CVs are implemented.

[WPORT]
Members
5,535 posts
10,536 battles
38 minutes ago, Ragnar608 said:

CV's are not "universally hated".  There are plenty of fans who enjoy playing them and those who don't play them and are learning to appreciate the role that CV's do play, when done well.

Of course, there will always be those who struggle to adapt, evolve and thrive.  ;-)

Welcome to World of Warships.  
It is like a giant paintball arena with ships instead of first-person-shooter avatars.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

Welcome to WOWS

1)  USN cruisers are pretty good.  At least I like them.  The T10 ones are considered among the best tech tree cruisers in the game.  The IJN line of BBs are good as well. The T10 Yamato is one of the best in the game.  BBs are new person friendly, but cruisers give you more instant gratification due to the faster firing guns and more maneuverable hulls.

2)  Queue times can be long during off hours, and for protected matchmaking when you are at lower tiers and/or a new player.  Normal mid to high tier games have short wait times during normal game times.

3)  Lower numbers in the games are due to a lower player count once the wait time has expired for some players in the queue.  See #2

4)  Torps on cruisers are generally for defense.  Most torp firing angles are towards the rear, which are only good when you are moving away from the enemy.   Most cruisers can be detected outside their torp range, so trying to fire off torps in a cruiser as an offensive weapon will often put you in a dangerous broadside situation to enemy ships.

5)  If you know the amount of time you spend in some ships gaining XP for the next tier, you can gauge how valuable the upgrade slots are to you.  I might put some of the less expensive ones on, but not the more expensive ones.  They can be ship dependent as well.  

Don't focus on just the one or two lines you are directly interested in.  It is often advantageous to play other ship types as well, just to understand how they work.  It will help to attack and defend against them and give you a broader understanding of the game.  Learn the ballistic characteristics of the ships and know how angles affect your ability to do damage and to take damage.

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles

The friendliest ship line, are battleships, just don't go into battle believing yourself to be invincible. You can tank damage pretty well, but you can still be sunk.

The least friendliest line, is the CV. If we ignore those ships, then DD. DD gets almost as much flak as, if not more than, the CVs. DDs are currently caught in a catch-22. Play cautiously, you get shat on for not doing your job. You go forward and spot (which will likely end in your death) you suicided. There is no middle ground to the general playerbase (there is a middle ground here on the forums at least). It does not matter how long you stay alive to the general playerbase, if you die, you suicided; if you survive, you didn't do your job; if you come on top for base-xp, you didn't do your job (live or die, doesn't matter), and you are a damage farmer.

Some cruisers almost have it as bad, you damage farming, selfish pig, who doesn't like to support his team... yeah ignore the last half of that sentence, I don't really believe that (but there are people who do).

From personal experience, don't stick to a single line, you restrict your knowledge greatly. I played IJN DD straight through to tier 10, hardly touching any other ship. I consider that my biggest mistake when it comes to my knowledge of this game.

Player count is determined by player availability. Since you are not seeing the full compliment of 12v12, that tells me you are experiencing low tier matchmaking, and not protected match making. When you get to tier 5+ you'll start seeing more full compliment 12v12 matches.

As for torps: situational, even for a DD. most of the time, they won't hit, but they don't need to hit. They can cause the enemy to adjust course, and expose a weaker defense to the rest of your team. IJN Shimakaze Line, and the second line up to Shiratsuyu, are 100% proactive when it comes to their torps. I'm sure there are other DDs that need to be proactive, I just can't name them off the top of my head. Majority of ships that have torps, they are there as a second defensive weapon, not offensive. And remember, you don't have to wait until they are in torpedo range to launch, torpedoes takes a while to travel to their maximum distance, this means you can launch before the enemy is in torpedo range, and by the time the torpedoes get to the target location, the enemy ship would be there. When using torps, keep in mind location of friendly ships, try not to hit them. Accidents do happen, own up and apologize, your ordinance, your responsibility.

• Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,535 posts
10,536 battles
43 minutes ago, Ragnar608 said:

Thanks a bunch!

1.  Yes.  They are both "user-friendly".  The IJN keeps using torpedoes after tier-5, while the USN mostly doesn't.
2.  Random games can queue up to 5 minutes.  Co-op games have a 30-second queue time limit.  Scenarios usually populate quickly, but can have a long wait time.
3.  6 vs 6 is usually Ranked battle.  But, if a Random match has a "queue dump" it may just populate a match with whatever players it has available to form teams with and the teams may be under-strength.  Co-op games are usually 9 vs. 9, nowadays, and may include 'bots on one or both teams.  12 vs. 12 is the usual Random match team set-up.
4.  Torpedoes role is to sink opposition ships.  Area denial is temporary, at best.
     Aim carefully.  Get close to the target to improve your chances of hitting an opposing ship.  Vary your speed and course to throw-off the aim of un-friendly torpedo-using ships.
5.  Upgrade slots are worth using as soon as you can afford them.  Choose according to your preferences or play-style.
     De-mounting them costs 25 doubloons.  Selling them for credits will yield 1/2 the original purchase price.

There are plenty of entertaining and educational youtube videos.  Also, you can study historic tactics to figure out how to adapt them to a "paintball arena" play environment.

Welcome to World of Warships.  Hope to see you on the virtual seas.  :-)

Members
2,988 posts
36,790 battles
37 minutes ago, Ragnar608 said:

Thanks a bunch!

Most of those have a mix of entertainment and narration of the thought process of the match.

Some streamers that do a more thorough walkthrough that I have heard are TMGrunty. He also posts recommend builds. He has a good technical background on analytics with each tech trees of each nation.

Other streamers that do this well recently are Flambass, but you probably know that by now. Flambass can literally make any ship work.

A lot of how you figure out how to play is driven by your play style.

A stealthy player would use cruisers or DDs and utilization of cover/ concealment is key. Torps in cruisers that have long range is area of denial and anticipation of a fleet's heading. Choice of HE is used for combat, but knowing to drop detection helps you survive and keep fighting.

Like long range shooting? BBs do this well, but reload makes it limited. Choice of shooting full broadside or single fire to walk in the shots is key. IJN has good range and dispersion, but suffers at close or medium range due to armor. US BB line has good armor and can brawl. Medium range for most part if the best shooting zone. About 18 km. Though they are slow, you are not in a hurry because you can do serious damage. HE is used in DD heavy matches and switch to AP if no DDs close.

Angling is important to all ship types to protect modules and the fatal citadel.

Your struggles might be leading gun fire as tanks requires stationary shooting. You can find it rather difficult hitting a moving Target whilst you are moving yourself.

Read the visual cues. Smokestack tells speed and direction. Bow and stern wake shows turns.

Simply using HE on certain ships can disable AA, secbat and tubes. That's important if that opponent is coming for you.

Map awareness and situation awareness help you during battle as some matches are won by simply getting that one cap before time runs out or leading with points.

To be honest, there are a lot of streamers to that bring something to the table. Oddly, the most entertaining can lead to an interesting tactic or technique. So I wouldn't overlook anyone.

You learn from mistakes and accomplishments equally by just watching and asking questions.

Some streamers overextend, hit islands, do devastating damage in Danaes, DD like they are crazy, BB with such devastating effects that Aobas have night sweats, and the occasional shenanigans that will leave you laughing and cheering. Not every player takes the losses too bad, but they do show their determination.

I would call that True Grit. Steadfast determination. Always looking to improve.

Not all matches are great, but you will have your great days. Just always have fun.

<O

[NEMO]
Members
714 posts
2,144 battles

I'm new too, only tier 3 and 2 tier 4, I found out the Charleston and St Louis are the best US cruisers so far, the Tier 3 Russian ids pretty good, and the tier 3 French is good, German tier 3 is OK don't know about japan or Italy  haven't played those

[PVE]
Members
4,279 posts
18,695 battles

Thanks a bunch!

First off, welcome aboard !

Watch every video you have time for.  I went about it with the IJN as my default Nation.  I started destroyers and cruisers and alternated till I reached the gunboats and then, ground all three lines till I hit tier 8.  Then, I started the BB's and ground them to tier 8 (the freaking Amagi I hate with a passion......!!!!)  Then, worked them all one at the same time to tier 9 then 10.  Ended up with four, 19 point CPT's that way. 

It is sooooooooooo easy to get sidetracked in this game.   Heck, I received 9 premium ships from xmas box gifts in 2017 !   That was a lot of stuff and a whole lot of temptation to get distracted....!!! 

Do one thing well and don't get distracted.    You asked about the IJN..........all country's have a "tactical dogma" they follow....  If you like an "In and Out" game, the IJN is a good place to be.....  Low detects, lots of torpedo play, good at starting fires but, aren't designed to brawl all that well......  They can, but, that involves a lot of work.   Other Country's have other motif's and ship theory....  I stayed IJN and then expanded my German lines because I received the Tirpitz and Scharnhorst as xmas gifts at the start.....  Since then, I've added German ships and a few premium German and IJN ships.......  Enough for me cause you can only play one ship at a time....!

[YORHA]
Members
5,020 posts
10,008 battles

To your last question...

Excellent learning videos from one of the best technicians and teachers in the game.

[NFJF]
Members
654 posts
9,903 battles
2 hours ago, Ragnar608 said:

Thanks a bunch!

This is going to be long lol, so I apologize in advance! As far as the lines you mentioned; those aren't bad choices, but they wouldn't be my own recommendations. Personally, I think the USN BB line is more new player friendly because outside of being slow til tier 8, USN BBs are jacks of all trades and you can use them to good effect in multiple situations. IJN BBs on the other hand are really best when you snipe at medium and long range, and they become rather vulnerable when they get up close. I think German CAs are best for a first line because at low tiers you get to learn how to evade incoming shells to avoid taking heavy damage or getting deleted. T7 and up, they are more forgiving of misplays because they don't have large easy to hit citadels like other nations do. They aren't very good at starting fires, but they get enhanced HE penetration, in addition to having AP that can outright delete broadside CAs and hurt BBs. German or USN DD lines would be my picks for a new player wanting to get into DDs. Other nations are really polarized towards being either gunboat or torpboat. USN and German DDs can do both, with the USN leaning a little more gunboat up until t9 and Germany leaning a little more torpboat all the way through.

I don't really play lower than T5 anymore so I wouldn't know the correct answer for that one.

Usually player availability. Some maps are also low tier only, so you wont see them in higher tier ships once you get them.

As far as CA torps go, it depends on the CA. IJN CAs have long range torps "10km or longer" and they will usually use them to get surprise damage on ships chasing them or not paying attention. If you see and IJN CA turn away from you, he's likely launching his torps at you "they are in the aft end of the ship," so you should change course to dodge them. British CAs and CLs also have longer range torps. RN CLs usually launch them at ships trying to charge their smoke, and they can predict your path and launch 1 torp at a time to better their chance of hitting you. German and Russian CAs "not all Russians" have short range torps usually around 6km to 8km. They use them when they are either brawling or ambushing other ships. French and Italian CAs have longer range, but slow torps. Changing speed and course will usually ensure they miss.

I wouldn't mount upgrades on ships lower than T5. Just my opinion.

Flamu, ichase, Noster, NoZoupForYou, BIA World of Warships, and Sea Lord Mountbatten are good wows youtubers that I like to watch. The Mighty Jingles also makes good replay commentaries.

Pretty much. CVs are like the coronavirus of WOWS. CV mains say that the many players "myself included" who see legitimate balancing issues with the class are "just an anti cv clique that whines and complains for no reason." On the other they are just a clique themselves who think they are entitled to have the game biased in favor of THEIR ship of choice instead of having a game that's fair and balanced for everybody. So yeah, don't expect to be too popular if you play a lot of CV!

Edited by admiralsexybeast

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles

Are the US Cruiser and IJN BB/CA lines new person friendly?  

NO lines are very noob friendly; having said that, those are as friendly as any others. Just understand, you WILL get scuffed up!

Currently at tier 3, 4+ minute queues are not unusual but I'd say often average 2-3 minutes.  Is this normal?  Does it get better as you get into higher tiers where I assume more people are playing?

Yes, it's normal. Yes, it CAN get better, but it can also depend on the hours you're playing. Off hours = long queue times.

Why are some matches 6 v 6?  8 v 8? or 12 v 12?  Is it based on map size?  Player availability?

Queue dump; someone, for some unknown reason, has been waiting far too long and MM just grabbed everyone it could find and made a match out of it.

Specifically for cruisers -- I know each ship is unique, but what is the general role for torps?  Defensive?  Offensive?  Area denial?

Keeping yourself alive and healthy, like everything else in the game. Use as needed.

At what tier is it worth utilizing the upgrade slots?  Right away...?  I assume early tiers you don't spend as much time in, so I'm thinking of de-mounting costs and such.

All tiers. At lower tiers where you spend little time you are also making enough money not to worry about the cost; at higher tiers you will be there long enough for them to pay for themselves many times over. Never demount anything, just sell them off and get new ones as demounting costs money and new ones cost credits. Learn that difference quickly.

Jingles, Notser, Flambass, Flamuu

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes .... and I also enjoy iChase Gaming. iChase has an entire series of "HOW TO GET GOOD AT WOWS" videos worth watching.

Not just YES, but HELL YES!

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles

Thanks a bunch!

1. What everyone else told you is correct. I will add though that USN heavy boats have some really nice AP part way up the line and that can be a lot of fun. Of the two I'd say IJN are probably more starter friendly. If you don't like slow ships you probably won't like USN boats. IJN CA tend to have a bit better top speed. Myoko can do a comfortable 35 knots. It can be kind of weird though because your gun range goes from  uncomfortable short to Okay to uncomfortable short and then you get decent range at Tier 9.  In a round about way it's a good thing because the boats with shorter range teach you to use cover and positioning to not-die.

2. It gets better. For low tiers maybe not much better but once you get to tier 5 it gets better mid day for sure.

3. Drunk MM, low tier spread population etc.

4. Defensive- Yes, can be. Offensive- yes, can be. For example if you have to close with another boat you have another option to maybe punch'm out. Just don't go into the engagement looking to torpedo the guy. USN don't have them and IJN CA have to give a massive telegraph that they're going to do it. IJN CA boat torps are good for tossing behind you to slow down a push, toss at a choke point and also, toss in an area you think boats might go but don't want them to go.

5. I'd say tier 6 and up unless the ship is extra painful to grind without them. tier 1-5 can be over so fast it's faster to just grind through them stock. BUT some of the tier 5 ships are fun so you  might want to keep them around and practice stuff in lower tiers. YMMV

If you can catch them live StatikTheWarmonger, Your_SAT_Score, tmGrunty, Aetam, Potato_Quality, OniTheWicked are all streamers I'd recommend watching to see what you can pick up from them for your game play in general.