Sign in to follow this  
Snargfargle

Run on Toilet Paper (or, People are Idiots)

13 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,674 posts

The local store in the next town, a little community of 1500 people, has had a run on toilet paper. Yesterday, the grocery store shelves in the toilet paper aisle were normal, today they are bare. I'm pretty sure that it's not people buying it it use it either. It's probably the ten paranoid meth heads in town who either think that the world is going to end or are now trying to sell it for $50 a roll on eBay. It's beyond me why the store manager didn't stop the person who showed up with ten shopping carts full of toilet paper. Unless he knew that a new truck of the stuff would be in tomorrow and was just laughing at all of the idiocracy. Use your heads, people -- it's not like this new virus train is going to shut down toilet paper production.

On eBay

NEW LISTING Scott Toilet Paper 27 rolls 1000 sheets per roll
Brand New 4.5 out of 5 stars.
85 product ratings - Scott Toilet Paper 27 rolls 1000 sheets per roll
$10,100.00 Time left 11h 8m left (Today 09:21 PM) 35 bids Free Shipping

People are actually bidding on this?

[AFW-]
[AFW-]
Members
294 posts
14,241 battles

Amazon and kijiji are banning this price gouging, the people trying to make money on this should be jailed for a little while

• Confused 1

Members
2,988 posts
36,790 battles
2 minutes ago, Apewar said:

Amazon and kijiji are banning this price gouging, the people trying to make money on this should be jailed for a little while

Yes, last I looked. Any vendor posting anything for sale that is blatantly price gouging was pulled. And the vendors were not allowed back on the site to sell anything else on Amazon.

Price gouge and you lose your regular business.

Retailers limit quantities rather than raise prices. If they don't then they are part of the problem.

My company I work for is a large grocery chain in Texas and they limit quantities so everyone can get what they need. Their supply chain is strong, and they are limiting the store hours so they can focus on supply chain, stocking, and services. They deliver so people don't have to leave the house. They can even email you if something is in and send it to you by delivery driver to minimize being outside.

I would steer clear of eBay and other sites. Preying on desperation and people that are not well informed is terrible.

Be careful and only get the basics.

Oddly, I get stuff year round due to hurricanes being an issue. So I get things like tuna cans and other basics year round when it's on sale. I get a little at a time and it adds up.

I have what I need. TP was stocked a month ago. Water is filtered with a pitcher filter. I use bottled only for work and travel.

I keep a good inventory of Spam, tuna, beef stew, and chicken soups. I keep water added pancake mixes.

Well, you get the idea.

During hurricanes Ike and Harvey, I was able to not only provide for myself but for my sister.

Now she picked up the habit from me and she does it better than I do.

In these current times, preparation is year round. Even if it may be benign or serious. You don't want to be caught with your pants down.

But be smart about it. Be informed.  Get the basics done.

And hope every delivery driver goes home safe. Thank them for coming.

They are the most courageous in these troubling times.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,083 posts
8,939 battles

This needs to be augmented with a quart of EverClear and a 458 and you are prepared....

Toilet Paper Bunker.jpeg

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,936 posts
11,607 battles

people dont even prep this much when a Cat 5 hurricane is about to come in and wreck face

[LSNB]
Members
1,593 posts
4,409 battles

People hoard stuff/try to profit during epidemics. Typical behavior.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,674 posts
1 hour ago, Apewar said:

After 9/11 a few unscrupulous gas stations in the state tried selling gas for $15 a gallon. The state attorney general kept track of who was doing this and when things settled down made them give the money back.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,674 posts
1 hour ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

But be smart about it. Be informed.  Get the basics done.

People have always been told that it makes sense to have at least two-weeks' worth of supplies on hand in order to weather something like an earthquake, or hurricane. Most, however, are too complacent to actually stock up until an emergency actually arises, upon which time they rush to the stores and panic buy everything in sight.

[RLGN]
Members
14,334 posts
25,271 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

People have always been told that it makes sense to have at least two-weeks' worth of supplies on hand in order to weather something like an earthquake, or hurricane. Most, however, are too complacent to actually stock up until an emergency actually arises, upon which time they rush to the stores and panic buy everything in sight.

Yeah.

As long as the power doesn’t go out I’m good, (freezer,) and even then I’m good.

Not worried.

[WOLF2]
Members
825 posts
18,939 battles

I ventured out shopping this morning and the Fred Meyer store was out of toilet paper. Other than that, while some items were in short supply, they were not out of anything else except the most important thing I wanted, maple bars.  On my way home I stopped by Albertsons and they still had a few packs of TP, which I didn't need but I bought a couple of packs anyway, but they did have maple bars. Too bad you can't stock up on several weeks of those. My fridge and full size stand alone freezer have not been this full since I inherited this house 29 years ago last week. I think stores in my area, south King county in Washington state, are better stocked then what I've seen elsewhere in the country because we were the first area in the U.S.  to see an outbreak of covid-19 so everyone stocked up a week or two ago.

Good luck to everyone in weathering this storm.

Members
2,988 posts
36,790 battles
32 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Indeed, based on what has recently happened, there is a shortage of awareness and thusly a shortage of supply.

Last year, I sent my very first care package to a person because they had not had good sleep in ages, their immune system was shot to hell. I was very concerned.

I read up a lot on epidemics concerning SARS at that time and I knew that this person could die if they got it.

I messaged them advice and while I am certain they listened, I am not sure completely if they heeded such advice.

Such simple things like nutrition, immune boosting gummies, First aid kit, a pillow, day and night flu OTC meds. Allergy OTC meds. Hand sanitizer. Antibacterial soap.

Well that was my care package last year.

I am certain that now, that person is heeding my advice despite protest.

Just because you are an adult, it doesn't mean you don't need help or advice. Even adults miss something important.

I have made it my mission to not miss things important. Just like my fighting style: steadfast, strong, alert, and relentless; I make damn sure I do not miss the important things unless told not to.

Never hesitate to help someone even if they refuse it. You just might save a life.

I think I have saved that person's life, but I am not going to just assume they are all clear. Perseverance means never having to say you missed something.

I want to save more lives. Call it the hero side of me.

So I will make sure that the public is made aware of how to take better care of themselves and to prepare all year round.

As a Capricorn, I am apparently the one you call when "IT" hits the fan.

As for that person, they can call me if they needed me. But I am sure they are well prepared. But if they happen to read this, I can ship TP free to them.

Salvum Diem.

Save the Day.

Be safe captains

<O

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
825 posts
18,939 battles
11 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Indeed, based on what has recently happened, there is a shortage of awareness and thusly a shortage of supply.

Last year, I sent my very first care package to a person because they had not had good sleep in ages, their immune system was shot to hell. I was very concerned.

I read up a lot on epidemics concerning SARS at that time and I knew that this person could die if they got it.

I messaged them advice and while I am certain they listened, I am not sure completely if they heeded such advice.

Such simple things like nutrition, immune boosting gummies, First aid kit, a pillow, day and night flu OTC meds. Allergy OTC meds. Hand sanitizer. Antibacterial soap.

Well that was my care package last year.

I am certain that now, that person is heeding my advice despite protest.

Just because you are an adult, it doesn't mean you don't need help or advice. Even adults miss something important.

I have made it my mission to not miss things important. Just like my fighting style: steadfast, strong, alert, and relentless; I make damn sure I do not miss the important things unless told not to.

Never hesitate to help someone even if they refuse it. You just might save a life.

I think I have saved that person's life, but I am not going to just assume they are all clear. Perseverance means never having to say you missed something.

I want to save more lives. Call it the hero side of me.

So I will make sure that the public is made aware of how to take better care of themselves and to prepare all year round.

As a Capricorn, I am apparently the one you call when "IT" hits the fan.

As for that person, they can call me if they needed me. But I am sure they are well prepared. But if they happen to read this, I can ship TP free to them.

Salvum Diem.

Save the Day.

Be safe captains

<O

For over 20 years I've been trying to help people by urging them to be stocked up in case a disaster occurs in their area and other tips. In most cases it falls on deaf ears. Around 2004/05 I was warning people about an impending economic crisis and they thought I was a nut.

Sign in to follow this