You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sinsokira

Cruisers for begginer

32 comments in this topic

Members
31 posts
345 battles

i have recently started to try cruisers as im getting a bit bored grinding out my BB and i wish to experiment with cruisers, which line would you rec to start with that is easy to learn and can be forgivinig for making mistakes with good range, fire speed and survivabilty

i have read up on them and most are split between all the lines, some say the french, but the two that most ppl say to avoid til you learn them is the german and british

Edited by Sinsokira
  • Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
6,425 posts
15,262 battles

I enjoyed the Japanese cruisers.  They have pretty good torpedoes, although some have back quarter launch arcs.  They are kind of fragile, and are best suited for medium-long range.  AA is fair.

American heavy cruisers hit hard and have good AA.  Their rate of fire is a little slow, and if you expose your broadside you can eat punishing damage.

• Cool 1

Members
4,300 posts
4,564 battles
  • British you avoid because, while yes they come with smoke and heal, you need to know what you're doing in terms of concealment and escaping. You also can't heal back everything you take as easily as a BB. They also only have AP which means for anything beyond CLs and DDs you need to know where to aim. They also have paper thin armor which leads to easy citadels. 
  • Germans people may say to avoid because it easy to get blapped in them, they're AP while the strongest also shatter easily and their HE is meh. But they get built in old style IFHE at T6+. They have a good kiting loadout however and can pump out lots of damage if allowed to. They also tend to have good torpedo angles. The line does get tanky, but that's not until T7/T8. 

IJN cruisers are the line I would recommend. Like the German line they can be punished for mistakes, but they're also CAs which mean they're guns will normally always do damage and hurt. Their fire chance is great, their torpedo damage and range is also great but not your go to weapon. Also like the Germans they're kiting machines that stay in the back. Another plus to the line is they all mostly use 203s and have the same torpedo angles. So as you progress though the tree, they will also be easy to adjust and adapt with. 

The US CA line is also a decent line to go down with and dance really well. They tend to sit back at T6 and T7 since they're a little frail, but at T8 get enough armor to play a lot closer and get radar. They also get heavy AP with allows for more pens at odder angles. 

• French cruisers people may recommend because this is a backline tree. They sit way far back and spam HE at everything, while using reload booster if you're close to a cruiser/DD for fast damage or to light fires on BBs that just used damage con. Russian cruisers play like this too but they have different consumables. French have battery reload booster and speed boost vs the RU radar and heal at higher tiers. 

Edited by Yoshiblue
  • Cool 2
  • Confused 1

Members
235 posts

Either the IJN cruiser line(these are more HE torp focused) or the German cruiser line(more AP focused) IJN cruisers being more rounded and German ones being more anti cruiser,

I would avoid the French line as they are not very forgiving and the speed can get you in trouble if you aren't experienced.

The Italian Line is a little like the French, but with SAP instead of HE that can be really frustrating.

Russian line is really strong but you need to be able to hit things a kind of the edge of your range so not a basic skill

The USN line you mostly lose your torps in favor of fast firing high arc guns, not the easiest lines to learn the game on

Finally the British Light and Heavies the lights play more like DDs with no HE and the heavies play like a cross between US and IJN

Edited by Bluemoon51

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
46 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

i have recently started to try cruisers as im getting a bit bored grinding out my BB and i wish to experiment with cruisers, which line would you rec to start with that is easy to learn and can be forgivinig for making mistakes with good range, fire speed and survivabilty

i have read up on them and most are split between all the lines, some say the french, but the two that most ppl say to avoid til you learn them is the german and british

From tier 4 to 7 on all nations are fun to play...

From tier 8 to 10  you run into cruisers with identity issues... Some cruisers are boarder line BBs with a cruiser symbol.

As long as you know what  cruiser you're playing, your role in battle will be as follows...

• DD hunter
    • You or your follow cruisers leave a DD alive in a match, you got it cruiser fail...
  • Cruiser Hunter
    • You leave a cruiser alive whole playing a cruiser with this role, you guessed it Cruiser fail
  • Mix Cruiser hunter and DD hunter
    • SAP enabled cruisers. You leave a cruiser AND DDs alive yup your/cruiser fail...
  • BB harassing cruisers
    • These ships just farm from a far... Usually its the
      • Zaos
      • HIV
      • Graph Spee ETC.
        • Basically, you leave a BB alive or in high HP status, you failed
  • Utility cruisers
    • US mainly they have all the cool utility consumables.
      • IF you still have consumable charges by the end of the match... You guessed it you failed.

So pick the cruiser play style you like and GL....

Those who love variety to fend off boredom, will see solace in the cruiser class for now.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,728 posts
11,706 battles

A good starting line for cruisers are the Japanese. The reasons being is they have access to the most powerful torpedoes and 2nd best baseline stealth and highest non boosted speed in the game. 

Also, Japanese cruisers got the tightest accuracy (DD dispersion) and highest fire chance until the late tiers, where the French take over.

Japanese cruisers after t4 are also remarkably durable against both AP and HE. You can't go wrong with the Japanese cruisers; although, until after you complete the Yamamoto campaign,  their camo leaves much to be desired.

That said, every other cruiser line is an up hill battle. 

1] French: not recommend doing the French because between t6-t10, their ships are very consumable reliant for damage and very sluggish and vulnerable otherwise.

2] British CLs: requires an intimate knowledge of AP shells and smoke mechanics in conjunction between acceleration and deceleration. Sounds simple but very sophisticated.

3] Italian CAs: similar to the British but turret travers and RoF very good foresight and understanding damage mitigatinion.

Any other cruiser line is fine, including the Germans. Having poor fire chance with the 2nd best range and velocity in the game isn't a weakness. 

However, rhe USN cruiser line is not recommended for beginners due to the slower (historically accurate) shells and balistics and the absence of torpedoes beyond t5.

Meanwhile Japanese cruisers will literally teach you everything you want to know about the other cruiser lines; so long as it doesn't involve radar or smoke.

Hope this helps.

• Cool 1

[LOSC]
Members
576 posts

For me coming from World of Tanks.

I really enjoyed the Phoenix and then the Omaha in the 4&5 Tiers also Murmansk,

They have thin armor but shoot great and once you learn to kite them they prevail.

The Exeter & Furutaka are ships that do well and if played long enough to learn, work well. 

• Cool 1

Members
235 posts
6 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

They have thin armor but shoot great and once you learn to kite them they prevail.

The Exeter & Furutaka are ships that do well and if played long enough to learn, work well. 

Personally I think the Phoenix and the Omaha do the US Cruiser lines no favors at all, not that they aren't pretty good ships for their tiers but the gameplay within the lines changes radically after them, it was even worse when the Cleveland was next on the tree!!

Edited by Bluemoon51

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,728 posts
11,706 battles
2 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

The problem with Phoenix and Omaha is that they can be overmatched by their own guns. So sure, they're fun until you run into someone who know's how to shoot.

Furthermore, their torpedo lead indicators don't coincide with their torpedo range, so they're the cause of a great deal of team killing.

2 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

Pretty sure the OP was referring to tech tree ships. Furutaka is king of t5 cruisers by a long shot. Nothing compares.

• Cool 2

Members
145 posts
7,812 battles
1 hour ago, Sinsokira said:

Everyone you ask this kind of question will tend to answer by recommending their favorite cruiser line. I would recommend asking yourself what features you want on your cruiser and see where that takes you. Some cruisers come with torps others have smoke etc. Hope this was some help. :cap_like:

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,641 posts
34,837 battles

Start with IJN. As long as you know (or learn) how to angle you can do well. Furutaka is strong for the tier. Myoko is probably the best T7 cruiser for beginners. All IJN has strong and accurate HE guns and AP is decent.

Torp angles are not great (except Furutaka) but torps are good.

If you also want to consider Premiums then the equation might change. For Tree ships, start with IJN.

They already gave you the pros and cons of the other cruiser lines and I tend to agree.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,755 battles

Well, the answer depends a lot on your own play style, so take all recommendations, including mine, with that in mind.  That said...

All the lines have quirks, but my recommendation would be to start with the US line.  The Chester (T2), you'll want to forget but that can be said of ALMOST all T2 cruisers.  Get the St. Louis, and then play it for awhile.  St. Louis is slow, and has the maneuvering characteristics of a bathtub, but it's made out of guns.  Learn to shoot, and learn to kite.  And learn to deal with DDs and ANTICIPATE their torpedo's (you aren't maneuverable enough to avoid them if you get surprised).  Once you're SURE you've got St. Louis figured out, then move on up the line.  How can you be sure?  The day you kite a BB and burn him down before he blaps you, you've got it figured out.  The line changes after St. Louis, and actually gets more interesting.  BUT, all the gunnery you learned in St. Louis still applies.  Phoenix is less armored than St. Louis, but she's FAST and maneuverable.  With this ship, you learn the next important cruiser skill, the use of DGH armor.  (DGH - Don't Get Hit).  WASD like a madman, while firing your guns constantly.  Unlike St. Louis, you now have the speed to reposition as needed, so you can work out on the flanks.  Omaha (T5) plays similarly...more or less a direct upgrade.  After Omaha, you get to decide whether to work up the light cruisers or the heavy cruisers.  And by then, hopefully, you'll have had enough experience to make the decision.

Several others have also suggested the IJN line.  I have VERY little experience with them, so can't really comment intelligently.  I haven't yet taken that line beyond T3.  I will say that the T3 Tenryu has given me the only 6-kill game of my WoWS career.

The German line is also pretty good.  I wouldn't recommend them as your first cruiser line, only because there are some large inconsistencies in the line.  The low-tier ships have fast-firing, DD-caliber guns with REALLY high shell arcs.  Higher than US.  They don't have the best range, but more range would be useless because it's already very hard to hit a target at longer rangers.  Then at mid-tiers they turn into very nice light cruisers with 6" guns, good ballistics, and really hard-hitting AP, and they are excellent kiting ships with 2/3 of their armament aft.  Then at T7 the line changes direction again, and you start getting heavy cruisers, which transition over the next few tiers into ships with near battlecruiser armament.

Russians - another good line, but again I wouldn't suggest them for your first foray into cruisers...and for much the same reason as the Germans.  T2 Novik has fast-firing pop guns with very high shell arcs.  T3 Bogatyr is sorta-kinda a Russian St. Louis - a bit faster, more guns, but less armor.  T4 Svietlana goes back to the small-gun concept.  At T5 you get Kirov, a "light" cruiser, but with big, hard-hitting/slow-firing guns.  Then T6 - T8 you are sailing "normal" light cruisers with 6" guns, and VERY nice, flat ballistics.  They excel at long-range, because with those ballistics you can HIT targets at range.  Then at T9 and T10 the line changes yet again.

French, Brits, Italiians - all have interesting characteristics, but not for your first line.  Learn cruiser basics elsewhere, then try these.

And remember, much depends on you and your play style.  Compare all the answers you get to your play style and preferences (which you know better than anyone else).  Then make your decision.

[WPORT]
Members
5,370 posts
10,403 battles
1 hour ago, Sinsokira said:

I'm less about the "line" and more about the "features".

Decent guns for their tier.
Excellent torpedo launching arcs.
Plenty of torpedoes.
Rudder shift time.
Speed.
Consumables (Hydro-acoustic search, spotter/fighter plane, heal [repair party], smoke)?
Armor (average to above average for a Cruiser.  Can still get *blapped* by BB's, though.  So, welcome to "Cruiser Life".)?

The French Friant is a wonderful Tier-3 Cruiser, in my opinion.
I like Takao (Tier-8 ARP Premium)  :-)
The IJN Furutaka is a solid example of a Cruiser.  It is popular enough that other cruisers use it for comparison purposes.
Some of the British cruisers have a Repair Party capability, so that helps them stay in the battle longer (especially useful during Scenario Operations).
The Konigsburg and Nurnburg are excellent examples of German cruisers.  
The Italians really rely upon speed and maneuver.  So, while they're fun to play, the 'push-the-limits' game-play style can involve risks and odds that aren't always in one's favor.  ;-)

The one's I'm not thrilled about?  They have poor torpedo firing arcs, or no torpedoes altogether.  IJN Aoba is one example, along with most American cruisers.

Cruisers are great for DD hunting.  But versus BB's, they need to use islands for cover and well-timed maneuver to make the most of opportunities.  
Cruiser armor is.... not BB armor.  ;-)  

Cruisers have more health-points than a DD, and more consumables on average.  But, mistakes can get one sunk just as fast.  :-)

Hope you have an enjoyable journey along the path of cruisers.  :-)

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,755 battles
36 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

i just want one that has good range, armor and surviabilty

Good range:  Russian or German lines,  Eventually.  This doesn't describe the early ships of either line, but they get that way later on.

Good armor/survivability:  These are not terms that really describe ANY cruiser.  There are cruisers with better protection (combination of armor and citadel size/location), and cruisers with worse protection, but I wouldn't describe many cruisers as being "good" at this, except relative to other cruisers.  But ok, if you want better protection, definitely avoid the RN line, in which the early ships are most famous for their huge citadels.  And the French - some of their mid-tier CLs have no armor belt at all.

But seriously...the first commandment of cruiser play is, don't get hit.  If you DO get hit, some cruisers are more forgiving than others, but it's usually gonna hurt.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,584 posts
2,423 battles
46 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

IJN would be your best bet.  Heavy cruisers have the longest ranges.  Of the CAs, I dont know much about the new British line.  The USN have floaty shells at long range and a distinctive lack of armor until Baltimore at tier 8, as well as no torpedoes.  IJN are longe range HE spammers built for kiting away.  German CAs have decent armor with lackluster HE shells and really good AP. They don't get CA guns until the Yorck at tier 7.

Members
31 posts
345 battles

i only say that about the range armor and survival cuase i seen most cruisers take hits from a BB or CV that they should not survive

[WPORT]
Members
5,370 posts
10,403 battles

I forgot to mention the Russians.  The Kirov and Budonny are decent 'botes.
The Russians are limited by their short torpedo range.  But they have decent guns with decent trajectories (with both HE & AP projectiles) and decent speed & rudder-shift, they're able to "Cruiser" as well as the next guy.  :-)

[LOS]
Members
864 posts
13,742 battles
12 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

i only say that about the range armor and survival cuase i seen most cruisers take hits from a BB or CV that they should not survive

All good advice, but still there is alot of mental ma$turbation here.

Playing any line to tier 5 requires very little time.

This isn't rocket science, it's a game

I started at the top of the list (IJN) and played 'til tier 5 or 6. Then I moved to the next line (USN) and did the same...wash and repeat all the way down the line.

Along the way I read, asked questions here and watched alot of vids.

At the end you'll have a fine stable of work horses and you'll have an idea which Premiums to to add to your collection.

And you'll have made up your own mind doing your own work.

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,859 posts
15,754 battles

I'll list mine on dificulty from easiest to hardest (IMO) for beginners:fish_book:

USN CA/CL : Good guns, good armor, Best AA, access to verity of consumables, doesn't have torpedoes at high tiers

IJN : Good guns, Good torpedoes (all located in butt), decent AA, Good Armor

Germany: good armor, good guns, decent torpedoes, decent AA, early units a bit tough to grind

France: Good AA, good top speed, decent armor, good torpedoes (mostly good at kiting)

UK CA line : Decent AA, decent armor, simi-AP rounds are good vs cruisers/DD

Russian: Very Good guns with highest shell vol, poor AA, Decent armor, Good Radar

Italy: Poor armor, good guns with SAP rounds for killing cruisers and DD, Rolling smoke screens, decent speed, decent AA

UK CL line:  worst armor in game for cruiserssimi AP limits fighting to Cruiser/DD, guns don't get good til tier 6, bad AA until tier 8, smoke screen

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
3 hours ago, Sinsokira said:

Germans are the easest start there.

[IRNBN]
Members
3,347 posts
9,653 battles
2 hours ago, Sinsokira said:

None of the cruiser lines are particularly well-armored at low to mid tier. There are outliers like Battleship St. Louis and the Bogatyr, but most are very squishy till T7. At that point the German and US heavies start coming into their own, with decent protection and hard-hitting AP.

Do the CA lines for range. CL 155mm are almost always out-ranged by CA 203mm.

Edited by So_lt_Goes

Members
1,430 posts
17,106 battles

Moving over from BBs you may not be used to using torps; although I'm sure you've dodged a few. Don't over look them as a viable cruiser weapon. The German and IJN lines have useable ones. I can't count the number of times I've been in a USN CL/CA and said to myself...damn I wish this thing had some torps.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,542 posts
8,473 battles
2 hours ago, Sinsokira said:

As noted below, most cruisers below T7 aren't tanky at all.  The Furutaka has an extra trash can lid on part of the side, but you're dancing with the devil trying to use it.

Some of the survival you are seeing is bound to be overpens, and French cruisers have spaced armor that can be very trolly.

Members
665 posts
9,178 battles

Agreed that German, US and IJN lines are good places to start(or Russians if you fancy yourself a sniper).

FWIW as a general rule WSAD mobility and positioning(use of islands/flanking/kiting) keeps you alive in a cruiser, not armor.  BB AP is your primary worry and even armored and angled cruisers are vulnerable to it. Instead of relying on armor focus on making yourself a difficult target.

Concealment(and smoke) also has not been mentioned enough here but it really helps cruisers in the positioning game allowing you to go dark and disengage/reposition if you are outgunned.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger