You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

"ADMIRAL" (Russian movie link)

8 comments in this topic

Members
4,237 posts
9,852 battles

Admiral Alexander Vasilyevich Kolchak was a seminal figure in the Russian Civil War, a naval officer who became a dictator of the Eastern Whites in their fight against the Bolsheviks. A fascinating study, here is the Wiki on him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Kolchak

But my main reason for posting this is for the Russian movie "Admiral" (Andrey Kravchuk, 2008). Opens with some fine naval combat scenes in the Baltic:

• Cool 3

[RLGN]
Members
14,303 posts
25,241 battles

Is this the one where the ‘Nassau’ type ship runs over a mine? And later the Bolshivecks are killing all the military officers on the side of some hill?

Members
4,237 posts
9,852 battles

Probably but I am just watching it now--I can tell you they missed the mine, and also the obligatory romance hottie for Kolchak looks a LOT like our lovely presenter in the WoWs upgrade vids.

[WORX]
Members
10,648 posts
18,555 battles

Seen this one, I highly recommend it... Russian and other foriegn films are better (for now), then what Hollywood produces.

The first 15min... Wild roller coaster of emotions... Simply wonderful.

• Cool 1

Members
4,237 posts
9,852 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Seen this one, I highly recommend it... Russian and other foriegn films are better (for now), then what Hollywood produces.

The first 15min... Wild roller coaster of emotions... Simply wonderful.

Agree. Davai!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,430 posts
14,165 battles

I have this queued up on Prime and it seems to have been a TV show as it is in episodes although there appears to have been a movie of the same name and subject but it isn't on Prime.

[REVY]
Members
6,727 posts
5,681 battles

I was able to use Kolcheck speech for my Napoleonic Machinima.  In fact this movie was the inspiration for me to do a video about the 1812 disaster.

Members
43 posts
21,044 battles

Have had the DVD of this for some time.  As with all movies, there are always bits of history cast aside (such as Kolchak's stint in the US, his Russo-Japanese War service, and the compressed nature of the Civil War in Siberia, include the taking of Ekatrinburg.  But, there is the re-creation of the pre-Dreadnought Slava, last of the Borodino Class.  And, the best, the characterization of General V. O. Kappel...after his death, his troops really did take it along, such was their affection, lest the Bolsheviks desecrate his remains.  He coffin would be taken into exile and buried in Harbin. It would eventually return to Russia; General Kappel was reinterred in 2007 at the Donskoy Monastery in Moscow.