You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Secondaries

Smaland's anti-ship rockets

47 comments in this topic

[WAKE]
[WAKE]
Members
324 posts
19,214 battles

Not gonna lie....I kinda wish that WG allowed these two bad boys to be fired once per game...It was a super important piece of weaponry on Smaland. Could've just made them a one time use, 3000dmg HE shot :) 

Then my common sense kicks in and I envision loads of Smaland's yoloing into ships firing these as a last resort before they ram someone.  

image.thumb.png.7396cd0f9af68b079e559f1dc9791054.png

image.thumb.png.c16dc0d1a14d4c6e73c3265872404f83.png

Edited by Mr_Secondaries
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 3

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles

They should home in on radar. And aircraft carriers.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,334 posts
25,271 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Ah.

Couldn't remember your avvy when I saw you in the game recently.

And I wouldn’t necessarily object to such either.

Even as a carrier driver I’ve had enough of this burning dumpster full of summer fermented cafeteria slops.

RTS at least had the virtue of being less oppressive by scarcity than what we have now.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 3

[ICBM]
Members
7 posts
5,416 battles
Just now, Umikami said:

They should home in on radar.

Now that's an interesting idea. After all, using active radar broadcasts your location to absolutely everything nearby. Maybe enough to get a lock for missiles? 

Adding an element of danger to using your radar might open up some interesting tactical decisions...

• Cool 3

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
1 hour ago, Mr_Secondaries said:

Not gonna lie....I kinda wish that WG allowed these two bad boys to be fired once per game...It was a super important piece of weaponry on Smaland. Could've just made them a one time use, 3000dmg HE shot :) 

Then my common sense kicks in and I envision loads of Smaland's yoloing into ships firing these as a last resort before they ram someone.  

If they did, bet it would only be Russian ships.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

if   the missiles worked against CV, I would have spent the 2mil to pick it up  :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[WAKE]
[WAKE]
Members
324 posts
19,214 battles
1 hour ago, Otterway said:

Now that's an interesting idea. After all, using active radar broadcasts your location to absolutely everything nearby. Maybe enough to get a lock for missiles? 

Adding an element of danger to using your radar might open up some interesting tactical decisions...

WG, please do this :)

Members
21 posts
8,695 battles
2 hours ago, Otterway said:

Be careful what you wish for...another gimmick in a line?  Potentially, it has the possibility to open pandora's box.

Edited by FurphyForum
  • Cool 1

[WAKE]
[WAKE]
Members
324 posts
19,214 battles
3 minutes ago, FurphyForum said:

Be careful what you wish for...another gimmick in a line?  Potentially, it has the possibility to open pandora's box.

As if its not open already :) 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Couldn't remember your avvy when I saw you in the game recently.

How did you let that Pensacola ram you when you were in an Atlanta? I was sitting there saying "CRAP!" and wondering what the hell had just happened! That left me with just .... me, against 3 BBs and the Dallas, who was really not bad by the way. Needles to say I lost, though I didn't die. 

3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

RTS at least had the virtue of being less oppressive by scarcity than what we have now.

Too true!

Members
21 posts
8,695 battles
23 minutes ago, Mr_Secondaries said:

As if its not open already :) 

True, what I meant is, on the arcade side there is already far too many gimmicks and on the other side by requesting this we are now swaying more into the realm of simulation.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles
34 minutes ago, FurphyForum said:

Pandora's box has been open for so long in this game the cops are starting to think she's a hooker.

3 minutes ago, FurphyForum said:

by requesting this we are now swaying more into the realm of simulation.

WG is more than willing to go with "historic" or "simulator", as long as they can make a buck off of it.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[HIT]
Members
172 posts
10,057 battles

I have no doubt WG intends to make these missiles more than just eye candy. It’s been their desire all along to bring the Kirov battlecruiser into the game. :cap_haloween:

[RLGN]
Members
14,334 posts
25,271 battles
3 hours ago, Umikami said:

How did you let that Pensacola ram you when you were in an Atlanta?

Didn't expect the ram until almost the last second, then it was too late...

Didn't want to give my broadside to torp, and was trying for a drive by, and the Pensy was smarter... :Smile_sad:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Didn't want to give my broadside to torp, and was trying for a drive by, and the Pensy was smarter

Not smart enough to get away, LOL!! After you died I was totally defensive; wasn't much of a match after that. Hope we both have better luck next time.

• Cool 1

Members
302 posts
20 battles
9 hours ago, Umikami said:

They should home in on radar.

This is the best idea I've heard in ages.  That would be a genuinely brilliant idea - you can radar, but understand the DD might be able to fight back to some degree.  Someone send this idea to WG!

• Cool 1

[WAKE]
[WAKE]
Members
324 posts
19,214 battles
17 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

While it is true that CV's had a limited number of planes, literally, the whole reason why WG got away from the RTS was for two big important reasons.... 1) Instead of "tickling" you to death with multiple attack runs, a GOOD CV player would simply cross drop you with torpedoes, sending you back to port instantly. 2) People who sucked at RTS didn't enjoy the class, at all. It was a super steep learning curve and if you weren't already at the top of that curve, you had very little chance to make it there since you'd get utterly destroyed by a enemy CV's fighters and then by your team downvoting you into oblivion for sucking. 

14 hours ago, WellyCoaster said:

They should be available as a consumable

Agreed, If it was a thing, it would be fun to be a one time use consumable that attacks a actively radaring ship. It would certainly make Smaland very unique. 

[WAKE]
[WAKE]
Members
324 posts
19,214 battles

So, thinking about it being a consumable item. I can see the anti ship missiles working like this.

Its a new consumable, only available for Halland (it has the SaaB rockets too) and Smaland, that has two charges that cannot be increased by super intendent captain skill. Cool down between uses would have to be like....4mins, or something long. 

When activated, if a enemy ship activates their radar consumable, the rockets will lock on to its position, fire, and home in on it. (When I saw "home in" I mean these things turn at a abysmal rate, basically the ship has to be standing still). 

If it hits, the rocket would do 7500 HE damage, and 30mm pen.

The flight path of the rocket could be really simple, it flies at a given altitude, but will collide with anything that gets in its path (other ships, mountains, etc.) 

I think it'd be interesting. 

Edited by Mr_Secondaries
  • Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,711 posts
19 hours ago, Umikami said:

Sure. Also subject to 90+ AA ratings they carry with them. So, much Ado about nothing until late game when many AA are knocked out. If Smaland could survive that long it might be able to sneak in a drone for a 3000hp finishing hit. That would be interesting.

Edited by thebigblue

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
279 posts
6,166 battles

I suggested when they were in testing that they were chaff rockets... Load of 2 as a consumable...  they would grey out an area just like a storm/squall would.   Since the line doesn't have smoke, it would give them the ability to cap a little better.  You could fire them over a long distance also, so say you're capping A uncontested but a DD across the map is fighting 2 radar cruisers, you could launch them across the map...  

[WOLF3]
Members
27,112 posts
23,873 battles

If we're going late 1950s and 60s era naval technology, let's go all the way.  USS Independence CV-62 below in 1959.

USS_Independence_%28CVA-62%29_during_shakedown_cruise_1959.jpg

1961!

USS_Independence_%28CVA-62%29%2C_USS_Saratoga_%28CVA-60%29%2C_and_USS_Intrepid_%28CVA-11%29_underway_in_1961%2C_with_crewmen_paraded_on_deck_in_a_spellout_commemorating_the_50th_birthday_of_U.S._naval_aviation_%28NH_97716%29.jpg

Vietnam-era stuff isn't far away.  Independence in 1965 deployed to Vietnam.

F-4Bs_VF-41_launching_from_USS_Independence_%28CVA-62%29_1965.jpg

Yes.  Let's escalate.

You guys complain about WWII-era Submarines, Cold War era ones are nightmares.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

Also subject to 90+ AA ratings they carry with them.

So what AA rating are regular carrier planes subject to now?

• Cool 1