You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MannyD_of_The_Sea

Questions Re: Steel Ships and Steel Ships “Market”

17 comments in this topic

[A-I-M]
Members
3,044 posts
13,308 battles

I’ve been away from the game for nearly three months, (new job and relocation), and won’t be very heavily involved over the next month, for the same reasons. Because my time is limited, I’m hoping I can call upon what others among you already know or have experienced.

I have approx. 15,500 Steel and 150,000 Coal. I have my ships for resources coupon.

I already have VMF Pittsburgh. (Stalingrad means “Steel City” in English.)

I lean mainly toward Battleships, but none but the Bourgogne intrigue me, and it is still a bit out of reach. The Steel ships that are within reach are the Black, Flint, and Nutra-Slimmy.

I lean toward the Black among these, but I understand that it and Flint are to be migrating from availability via Steel to availability via Coal come build 9.3. Is that correct?

If so, it would seem something of a waste right now to fork over the steel, when in less than 4 weeks, it can be had for Coal.

When I do run about in DDs, I tend toward the gunboat flavor of them, so Nutra-Slimmy seems a non-starter for me. Opinions here?

Flint: Coal availability pending leads to the same conclusion as for Black. The new IFHE may render it a non-purchase, period. Opinions?

This leaves me looking at saving up and waiting to get to Bourgogne. The main thing I want to know is: Does Bourgogne bring Jean Bart levels of fun to T10? Does trying to get the rear turret into play bring pain? Do the 15” guns at T10 seem lacking?

Beyond some ships migrating to Coal availability, what is on the horizon in the Steel ship market, with any known ships going to be available for Steel?

Thanks for all input.

[SIDE]
Members
4,695 posts

Save steel. If you aren't sure you want Stali or Burger then hold off getting anything. It's too precious a resource to throw around.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,044 posts
13,308 battles
12 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Save steel. If you aren't sure you want Stali or Burger then hold off getting anything. It's too precious a resource to throw around.

Like I said, Stalingrad, I got. I’m hoping to hear some reports from possessors of the candidate ships, or from those who are read up on  known upcoming candidate ships.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,136 posts
5,017 battles
20 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

This leaves me looking at saving up and waiting to get to Bourgogne. The main thing I want to know is: Does Bourgogne bring Jean Bart levels of fun to T10? Does trying to get the rear turret into play bring pain? Do the 15” guns at T10 seem lacking?

I would save for Bourgogne. Probably my favorite ship, and for sure my pick if I could only play one ship forever. The fun is for sure there. If JB is Richlieu, Burger is Alsace. The 15 inch somewhat seems limited, but no more than any other smaller caliber BB. Nobody expects the 40 knot BB, and when you find that sweet sweet broadside, her 12 rifles and MBRB truly shine. I've used her exclusivley for ranked and have been having the time of my life, combined with a 60ish WR

[HSD]
Members
704 posts
12,392 battles

Flint, Black and Neutrashimy (sp?) are changing over to Coal, but the kicker is they wont transfer over straight away. They will be pulled from availability and then won't return for a while. I recall 6 months being a time frame mentioned but I cannot source that so I could be wrong there.

If you are willing to wait an unspecified period of time they have been stated to return in the future for coal.

I cannot comment on Bourgogne as i don't own one. All I will say is if you haven't had a look at it consider Thunderer. It seems to somehow be flying under the wider player radar for what she brings. In terms of comparative fragility I don't think she actually loses out all that much if at all to Bourgogne though she definitely does vs other T10 Battleships.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
313 posts
10,692 battles

I am a BB main, play aggressive, and the Bourgogne is a ship I truly enjoy every time. Think on a buffed alsace, with many tricks. Not easy to master but when you do... lol. Excellent secondaries, speed to flank, enough durability, some nice tricks... I love her and don't regret at all spending the steel. 

I don't have stalingrad still, like more the BBs. And remember she is NOT tanky, more of ambusher/flanker but can push on late game if needed. IMHO, better than Jean Bart.

Members
616 posts
81 battles
39 minutes ago, Fastwolf66 said:

I am a BB main, play aggressive, and the Bourgogne is a ship I truly enjoy every time. Think on a buffed alsace, with many tricks. Not easy to master but when you do... lol. Excellent secondaries, speed to flank, enough durability, some nice tricks... I love her and don't regret at all spending the steel. 

I don't have stalingrad still, like more the BBs. And remember she is NOT tanky, more of ambusher/flanker but can push on late game if needed. IMHO, better than Jean Bart.

Alsace is actually stronger than bourgogne 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,112 posts
19,206 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I lean toward the Black among these, but I understand that it and Flint are to be migrating from availability via Steel to availability via Coal come build 9.3.

That is because the IFHE nerf gutted both of them into uselessness.

1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Flint: Coal availability pending leads to the same conclusion as for Black. The new IFHE may render it a non-purchase, period. Opinions?

Don't do it; without a serious buff their day has come and gone.

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,418 battles
16 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

When I do run about in DDs, I tend toward the gunboat flavor of them, so Nutra-Slimmy seems a non-starter for me. Opinions here?

What are you talking about?

If you like gun boats which are the Russian destroyers you will love the Neustrashimy.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,492 posts
24,752 battles

IFHE rework has significantly changed Flint and Black's effectiveness. Flint will work well with IFHE as long as she is top tier, if she's mid to bottom tier it sucks.

[BS]
Members
1,979 posts
10,810 battles

If I had Flint and Black i'd be pissed. I have Nuestrashimy and I'm kinda irritated honestly.

But isn't it funny how they nerf IFHE and all of a sudden they're coal worthy, you shouldn't have that kind of crap sync up... It makes it too obvious.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,044 posts
13,308 battles
9 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

What are you talking about?

If you like gun boats which are the Russian destroyers you will love the Neustrashimy.

Well, I’m not certain that two turrets with approximately 50% of the rate of fire of Friesland makes it a top rate gunboat, but I’m open to entertaining the thoughts of others on the matter. What renders Nutra-Slimmy itself (not so much the Russian line) a good gunboat?

[SNGNS]
Members
487 posts
6,035 battles
15 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Well, I’m not certain that two turrets with approximately 50% of the rate of fire of Friesland makes it a top rate gunboat, but I’m open to entertaining the thoughts of others on the matter. What renders Nutra-Slimmy itself (not so much the Russian line) a good gunboat?

also shikishima (yamato with 20 inch guns) is coming for steel in the future (will probably be in price range of bourgone ) so if that interests you. its coming

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,418 battles
43 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

It have Grozovoi shells at T9. Which is the fastest shell velocity in the game along with better penetration than Khab.

Yes the DPM is low, but because it have a super heal allowing it to make much more plays and the penetration to make things happen.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,044 posts
13,308 battles
3 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

It have Grozovoi shells at T9. Which is the fastest shell velocity in the game along with better penetration than Khab.

Yes the DPM is low, but because it have a super heal allowing it to make much more plays and the penetration to make things happen.

That helps! Thanks.

[NFJF]
Members
653 posts
9,895 battles

I currently own; Bourgogne, Stalingrad, and Black. Bourgogne is easily my favorite out of those 3. She's a real treat to play and I've had a lot of great runs with her. I just got Stalingrad when I ranked out last week. Really warming up to her fast and I think she's already becoming my favorite t10 CA. This is likely due to the fact that I'm a BB main and Stalingrad is very "BBesk." I honestly can't recommend black. Her torps are painfully slow, so you're relying on your guns to do most of your damage. Only thing shes really good at is killing other dds thanks to her radar. Honestly if I could trade Black for Neustrashimy, I would. That being said, I don't really think that Neustrashimy is worth spending steel on. For coal? Absolutely, but not steel. TBH, I would recommend you just continue saving for Bourgogne. If you enjoy Alsace, you'll really love Bourgogne, since she's a straight up better Alsace. Being able to hit that exchange button for her in the armory was one of my proudest moments in my 4.5 year wows career!