Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Toiletduck

Crashing - Graphics card crash while in port?

15 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
139 posts
7,798 battles

So roughly since 8.9 the game will just randomly throw a black screen at me while in port and stops working. It acts like a graphics card crash as everything else (except the game) comes back.  The game stays black screened and is unresponsive in the task manager.  This forces me to CAD out and kill it.  It doesn't seem to happen in game, just in port.

All my drivers are up to date.  it's an older Nvidia 970 but it should still work.. I play Star Citizen on it so it's not a complete fail =)

Thoughts?

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
2 minutes ago, Toiletduck said:

All my drivers are up to date.  it's an older Nvidia 970 but it should still work.

What process did you use to update your drivers??

• Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,595 posts
6 minutes ago, Toiletduck said:

So roughly since 8.9 the game will just randomly throw a black screen at me while in port and stops working. It acts like a graphics card crash as everything else (except the game) comes back.  The game stays black screened and is unresponsive in the task manager.  This forces me to CAD out and kill it.  It doesn't seem to happen in game, just in port.

All my drivers are up to date.  it's an older Nvidia 970 but it should still work.. I play Star Citizen on it so it's not a complete fail =)

Thoughts?

Set Vsync on so that your FPS doesn't get out of hand in the Port. Also, run GPU-Z and have it record to check your temperatures. Some ports with less animation may work better too.

Edited by Snargfargle

Beta Testers
139 posts
7,798 battles
10 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

What process did you use to update your drivers??

I just used the nvidia geforce update software.. *shrug* is there another option?

7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Set Vsync on so that your FPS doesn't get out of hand in the Port. Also, run GPU-Z and have it record to check your temperatures. Some ports with less animation may work better too.

What *SHOULD* the GPU temp be?

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
1 minute ago, Toiletduck said:

I just used the nvidia geforce update software.. *shrug* is there another option?

I did not ask for software/program... What process did you use to update your drivers ?

• Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,595 posts
19 minutes ago, Toiletduck said:

What *SHOULD* the GPU temp be?

If you can, keep it under 75 C.

Edited by Snargfargle

Beta Testers
139 posts
7,798 battles
30 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I did not ask for software/program... What process did you use to update your drivers ?

I answered your question.  I used nvidia's update software to update the drivers. 

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles

I answered your question.  I used nvidia's update software to update the drivers. 

No. it doesn't answer the question... I am not asking for program... I am asking for process... What process did you use to update your drivers...

(remember carefully...)

By the first post where you mention the type of Graphics card you used... I already know the program... I am asking what process did you use to update your drivers?

Beta Testers
139 posts
7,798 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

No. it doesn't answer the question... I am not asking for program... I am asking for process... What process did you use to update your drivers...

(remember carefully...)

By the first post where you mention the type of Graphics card you used... I already know the program... I am asking what process did you use to update your drivers?

Oh it was the "express install".. I didn't do anything custom.. 

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles

Oh it was the "express install".. I didn't do anything custom.. 

When did you update them ???

Beta Testers
139 posts
7,798 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

When did you update them ???

I have updated them several times since this started.  Most recently was a couple hours ago.

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
Just now, Toiletduck said:

I have updated them several times since this started.  Most recently was a couple hours ago.

:Smile_facepalm:Oh boy, this will take time... Stand-by for instructions...

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
3 minutes ago, Toiletduck said:

Do me a huge favor.

Find your GPU driver manually... Once DL the correct GPU drivers... Use the Manual with Clean Install check on the box... That means..

• Making sure you DL Drivers are the correct one...
  • Then using the Manual install option.
    • In manual menu, make sure you click/checked the clean install box before moving on with the installation....
    • Click install.

For Future reference NEVER use "express install" to install NVIDIA GPU drivers.

Now, this may not be the only problem... But its a start to the right direction.

Beta Testers
139 posts
7,798 battles

So.. forgive my ignorance.. why not use express install?  isnt' that what its for?

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
1 hour ago, Toiletduck said:

So.. forgive my ignorance.. why not use express install?  isnt' that what its for?

Express install using NVIDIA products is only good for the first install only... After that, you need to use the manual option with clean install...

• Boring 1

Sign in to follow this