You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CRZY_TRAIN

Helena IFHE

33 comments in this topic

[-ICE-]
Members
417 posts

All that work to build up a ship and commander only to be stripped and handed a ship with dinky shells that basically do nothing now and lousy armor to boot just one or two hits from just about anything from any angle and you are sunk.  Its always something with this game, from the cheaters on headsets clubbing everyone and  throwing games to really really bad lopsided teams and all else that makes your head shake, its such a awsome game makes you wonder what is really going on. Guess its time to be a battleship player because it seems with the new adjustment it wrecked the Helena and others with dinky guns that relied on the extra pen and fire.   just my 2 cents

Edited by CRZY_TRAIN
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
516 posts
5,027 battles
6 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

All that work to build up a ship and commander only to be stripped and handed a ship with dinky shells that basically do nothing now and lousy armor to boot just one or two hits from just about anything from any angle and you are sunk.  Its always something with this game, from the cheaters on headsets clubbing everyone and  throwing games to really really bad lopsided teams and all else that makes your head shake, its such a awsome game makes you wonder what is really going on. Guess its time to be a battleship player because it seems with the new adjustment it wrecked the Helena and others with dinky guns that relied on the extra pen.   just my 2 cents

Ya lost me at cheaters with head sets. Otherwise, build the Helena for fire instead of pen and watch the world burn.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
6,450 posts
15,349 battles

And here I was thinking IFHE and Helena were still viable together...:cap_hmm:

[CDOH]
Members
388 posts
6,925 battles

Turns out Helena has something called AP shells.  These AP shells work really good at broadside targets. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,616 posts
8,595 battles
1 minute ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Turns out Helena has something called AP shells.  These AP shells work really good at broadside targets. 

Having both given and received, I would have to agree.

And it is better to giveth than to receive.

[YORHA]
Members
5,016 posts
9,993 battles
19 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

Ya lost me at cheaters with head sets. Otherwise, build the Helena for fire instead of pen and watch the world burn.

Yeah.  Losing the ability to pen same and higher tier BB and CAs is more than made up for by a miniscule increase in fire setting.

2 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Anything over 10 km and you might as well be throwing pancakes.

• Cool 2

[CDOH]
Members
388 posts
6,925 battles
2 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

AP is useless on Helena your score will be peanuts throwing metal. sry

You sir are not correct AP shells hitting superstructure is very painful on broadside targets.  Helena has so many guns its going to hurt. 

[-ICE-]
Members
417 posts

Do u even have one?  I bet not because im telling you if I throw metal they do nothing, every once in a blue moon you get a cit otherwize like the other guy said you might as well throw pancakes.

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles

OP, please believe me when I tell you that your issue with Helena has nothing to do with IFHE, or her AP shells. Further, I use a headset, now you've offended me, so I challenge you to a duel. Pistols at dawn! I have this feeling you can't aim.

Just because you're not good at the game doesn't make the rest of us cheaters, my friend, it just means you aren't good. 

• Funny 2

[-ICE-]
Members
417 posts

Like i tell the other clubbers and cheats like urself, if ur on my green team ill help you anyway i can and if your on red ill be gunning for u but either way i wont care or remember if you agreed or disagree with me 5 min ago.  All u cheats with headsets point out people on your own team, allowing DD's to sneak threw after you tell them where someone is on your own team, throw games,  shoot lazy shots over the bows of your friends on oposite teams all while chatting with each other.  Im OUT   have fun

• Confused 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,790 posts
4,631 battles
10 minutes ago, TheKrimzonD3mon said:

I have this feeling you can't aim.

24% hit rate as a cruiser main. 

Members
4,458 posts
19,466 battles
57 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

Guess its time to be a battleship player

:cap_haloween::cap_fainting:

[CDOH]
Members
388 posts
6,925 battles

Crzy train. I have not played the Helena in some time.  So i just bought the ship and played a game. I had 120k damage 2 kills. haven't played it in about a year.  The fires are insane set 14.  HE seems to pen cruisers just fine. The AP works great on broadside cruisers and BB superstructure. I am getting between 5k and 2.5k on a solid hit.   This ship kills dds so fast its not funny.  Man this is a great ship.  Its also pretty nimble. i put a 10 point captain in it with DE and Concealment.     Thanks Crazy train i will have to play Helena more very enjoyable.

Some tips. 

Do you have the word of warships mod station?  If not I would suggest downloading and using the Nomagram Reticle.  The reticle is accurate all distances unlike the default dyanamic cross hair.  This has greatly aided my aiming.  There are also many other useful mods in the sanctioned mod pack.

Edited by Rothgar_57
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
45 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

this ^

42 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

38 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

You sir are not correct AP shells hitting superstructure is very painful on broadside targets.  Helena has so many guns its going to hurt. 

Against same tier and lower cruisers Helena's AP wrecks face.

IFHE had become a crutch for CL's allowing them to never change ammunition types but now they have to again.

[CDOH]
Members
388 posts
6,925 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

this ^

IFHE had become a crutch for CL's allowing them to never change ammunition types but now they have to again.

I think this is spot on. 

[WOLFG]
Members
866 posts
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

this ^

Oh, you mean like BBs only had to switch to HE to kill Smolensk?  But of course they nerfed Smolensk because BBs couldn't manage to do that.  BTW, you also lose fire chance when switching to AP.  It's a VERY bad solution to a problem that should never exist.  And who cares about same tier and lower.  The problem is upper tier where you can do ABSOLUTELY nothing against them.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

[CDOH]
Members
388 posts
6,925 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Oh, you mean like BBs only had to switch to HE to kill Smolensk?  But of course they nerfed Smolensk because BBs couldn't manage to do that.  BTW, you also lose fire chance when switching to AP.  It's a VERY bad solution to a problem that should never exist.  And who cares about same tier and lower.  The problem is upper tier where you can do ABSOLUTELY nothing against them.

The Smolensk armor nerf only made BB AP overpen more.  So this statement is wrong.  As far as being up tiered without IFHE i will have to test it.

Edited by Rothgar_57

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
1 hour ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

All that work to build up a ship and commander only to be stripped and handed a ship with dinky shells that basically do nothing now and lousy armor to boot just one or two hits from just about anything from any angle and you are sunk.  Its always something with this game, from the cheaters on headsets clubbing everyone and  throwing games to really really bad lopsided teams and all else that makes your head shake, its such a awsome game makes you wonder what is really going on. Guess its time to be a battleship player because it seems with the new adjustment it wrecked the Helena and others with dinky guns that relied on the extra pen and fire.   just my 2 cents

1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

And here I was thinking IFHE and Helena were still viable together...:cap_hmm:

Now you have a choice. RNG fire with less direct damage or more direct damage with less RNG fire.

NO IFHE using RNG fire means you do not take IFHE and can pen 25mm of armor with Helena or any other 152mm T7 or less ship. Helena has a 12% fire chance before DE.

vs T5-T7 Cruisers - You can pen all of the bows/sterns of T5-T7 cruisers with HE. You can pen most of the decks/upper side armor of T5-T7 cruisers with HE.

vs T5 BBs  - You can pen all of the bows/sterns of T5 BBs with HE.

Vs T6-T7 BBs - The armor for the bows, sterns, plating, decks, and everything but the superstructure, is now 26mm or more, so you can not pen anything except the superstructure.

vs T8+ cruisers - You can all the pen bows/sterns, but can not pen any 27mm sections elsewhere.

vs T8+ BBs - everything but superstructures is 32mm+ so you can only pen superstructures with HE. 

IFHE using more direct damage means you take IFHE and can pen 31mm of armor with Helena or any other 152mm T7 or less ship. Helena has a 6% fire chance before DE.

vs T5-T7 Cruisers - You can pen all of the bows/sterns of T5-T7 cruisers with IFHE. You can pen almost all of the decks/upper side armor of T5-T7 cruisers with IFHE.

vs T5 BBs  - You can pen all of the bows/sterns of T5 BBs with IFHE.

Vs T6-T7 BBs - You can pen the all of the bows/sterns with IFHE. You can pen some of the decks/upper side armor with IFHE.

vs T8+ cruisers - You can pen the all of the bows/sterns with IFHE. You can pen decks/upper side armor with IFHE that is 31mm or less.

vs T8+ BBs - everything but superstructures is 32mm+ so you can only pen superstructures with IFHE. 

Even before the IFHE rework, you were better to swap to AP when a cruiser was broadside. HE was for battleships, destroyers, and angled cruisers.

NOTE TO BB players: Since players without IFHE will only be able to pen superstructures on BBs, you might want to make FP your first 4pt skill at 10pts. Reducing the two superstructure fire sections to one whole fire section will likely be even more important now.

1 hour ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Yes, but not so good vs angled cruisers.

Edited by Kizarvexis
fixed my egregious error that Helstrem pointed out

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
9 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

That "nerf" to the Smolensk did not make it easier for heavy caliber guns CA plus) AP to get normal or better hits on it. The armor on the Smol is so thin that it is functionally a DD as far as penetration is concerned for heavy caliber guns. HE is the only reliable ammunition type for those ships against her just as it is against DD's.

[YORHA]
Members
5,016 posts
9,993 battles

Never mind.

Edited by JCC45

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,441 battles
1 hour ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

You're just flat out wrong about that.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,639 posts
4,999 battles
6 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

vs T8+ cruisers - The armor for the bows, sterns, decks, upper side armor, etc is now mostly 27mm and you can not pen them. There are some 25mm sections, but they are few and far between with most being very small.

This is false.  Most CAs (Japanese, Russian, British, French, Italian) have 25mm plating.  All CLs have 25mm or lower plating.  Only US and German CAs have 27mm extremity plating.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
6 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

This is false.  Most CAs (Japanese, Russian, British, French, Italian) have 25mm plating.  All CLs have 25mm or lower plating.  Only US and German CAs have 27mm extremity plating.

Fixed it.

No IFHE

vs T8+ cruisers - You can all the pen bows/sterns, but can not pen any 27mm sections elsewhere.

IFHE

vs T8+ cruisers - You can pen the all of the bows/sterns with IFHE. You can pen decks/upper side armor with IFHE that is 31mm or less.