You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Hi WoWS, some feedback after 3 years away

26 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles

So, I came back to the game after being away for 3 years... a lot of new/different things in the game. After two weeks these are my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

THE GOOD

• CV rework. I actually like it. People raging about them should remember how insane was back in 2017. I've no beef with CVs how they are now except for a little detail I´ll talk about later
  • Playerbase quality in average feels better, more capable. Anecdotical but in perspective I think it really has improved from 3 years ago
  • Training room and PvE scenarios. For those with STM, this was requested by many players (yours truly was one of such). 
  • New ships/New lines. Always good, no matter how crap or OP they turn out.
  • In game marketing. Just got a Molotov for a free 3 day test drive, before that coupons, free premium days, etc. Good luck trying to making me spend $$$, but overall I give you a star for effort.. I think it is a good strategy and a smart move for you guys. Whatever rock your coffers as long as it isn't gold ammo...
  • Healthy PvE numbers. Used to be ghost town, now looks very populated.

THE BAD

• Rocket planes. C'mon, really? why the hard counter for DDs? Only reason I see is paving the way for Subs... Sub eat CV eat DD eat Sub or something like that. Whatever the reason, not cool.
  • Power creep against DDs. Now I'm scared of playing DDs, maybe is just me still not getting used to the new meta, but I feel more prey than predator... you know, as cruisers used to feel.
  • Lonely low tiers. If I were new to the game, I think I would get disheartened by the scarcity of people getting started with the game. Maybe it is natural forn an "oldish" niche game, but I would be worried if I were the powers that be...

THE SAME

• FTP wall at tiers 7-8. long boring neverending frustrating much like work without pay grinds. I understand you have to make a profit from selling premium time, free XP, silver, doubloons and all the stuff that helps you get around it, but IMHO, maybe it is not the best course of action because... it is boring, and games should not be boring. Players like me, well they go to greener funnier pastures. 
  • The Forum. Really guys, the same posts over and over and over... less funny people now though, why so serious? Did all the funny/silly posters got banned?
  • "Submarines will NEVER be implemented in WoWS" (or something like that) ... yeah, sorry ahem.. wrong section, not the SAME

That´s it. 

• Cool 8
  • Boring 6

[A-D-F]
Members
1,163 posts
10,448 battles

Most of the folks with a sense of humor got tired of the rabid forum paladins defending all things WG from even the slightest constructive criticism. There's also rumored to be people(in only the most nominal sense) on here who simply wish to argue for the sake of arguing.

Apparently the only way to get noticed by staffers is to whine excessively, spend money, or launch into a colorful polemic. 

WG likes to ban the latter; Ive no interest in the former two. 

Lower tiers are still a bit of fun; but no one cares about the game play there; it makes WG no money & it confers no bragging rights for those who fancy themselves above such levels.

• Cool 3
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 5

[SALVO]
Members
24,801 posts
25,884 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

The Forum. Really guys, the same posts over and over and over... less funny people now though, why so serious? Did all the funny/silly posters got banned?

Not everyone is a class clown.

[ANKER]
Members
246 posts
4,936 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

So, I came back to the game after being away for 3 years... a lot of new/different things in the game. After two weeks these are my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

THE GOOD

• CV rework. I actually like it. People raging about them should remember how insane was back in 2017. I've no beef with CVs how they are now except for a little detail I´ll talk about later
  • Playerbase quality in average feels better, more capable. Anecdotical but in perspective I think it really has improved from 3 years ago
  • Training room and PvE scenarios. For those with STM, this was requested by many players (yours truly was one of such). 
  • In game marketing. Just got a Molotov for a free 3 day test drive, before that coupons, free premium days, etc. Good luck trying to making me spend $$$, but overall I give you a star for effort.. I think it is a good strategy and a smart move for you guys. Whatever rock your coffers as long as it isn't gold ammo...

THE BAD

• Rocket planes. C'mon, really? why the hard counter for DDs? Only reason I see is paving the way for Subs... Sub eat CV eat DD eat Sub or something like that. Whatever the reason, not cool.
  • Power creep against DDs. Now I'm scared of playing DDs, maybe is just me still not getting used to the new meta, but I feel more prey than predator... you know, as cruisers used to feel.
  • Lonely low tiers. If I were new to the game, I think I would get disheartened by the scarcity of people getting started with the game. Maybe it is natural forn an "oldish" niche game, but I would be worried if I were the powers that be...

THE SAME

• FTP wall at tiers 7-8. long boring neverending frustrating much like work without pay grinds. I understand you have to make a profit from selling premium time, free XP, silver, doubloons and all the stuff that helps you get around it, but IMHO, maybe it is not the best course of action because... it is boring, and games should not be boring. Players like me, well they go to greener funnier pastures. 
  • The Forum. Really guys, the same posts over and over and over... less funny people now though, why so serious? Did all the funny/silly posters got banned?
  • "Submarines will NEVER be implemented in WoWS" (or something like that) ... yeah, sorry ahem.. wrong section, not the SAME

That´s it. 

Hey man welcome back Glad to see old timer Coming around and checking IN o7

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles
30 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Not everyone is a class clown.

dude, that's not the point. Some people you laugh with, some people you laugh at. Not saying one is better THAN the other, but you find people here that neither like to laugh with you, nor being laughed at. THEN why so serious?. This is just a game forum, not like we'll get banned for talking politics or serious stuff...

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles
1 hour ago, Curly__san said:

Most of the folks with a sense of humor got tired of the rabid forum paladins defending all things WG from even the slightest constructive criticism. There's also rumored to be people(in only the most nominal sense) on here who simply wish to argue for the sake of arguing.

Apparently the only way to get noticed by staffers is to whine excessively, spend money, or launch into a colorful polemic. 

WG likes to ban the latter; Ive no interest in the former two. 

Lower tiers are still a bit of fun; but no one cares about the game play there; it makes WG no money & it confers no bragging rights for those who fancy themselves above such levels.

I played some low tiers to get in shape again, got some 4 ship per side matches. Interesting but weird. Kinda sad compared to the crazy bouncing cars brawls from back then.

How hard is the censorship now? ... all is so very quiet... 

10 minutes ago, 9TenSix2Eight said:

Hey man welcome back Glad to see old timer Coming around and checking IN o7

Thank you!! o7  glad to be back, I think I'll stick around at least until the subs arrive, that is going to be ... interesting.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,636 posts
2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Did all the funny/silly posters got banned?

Snarg not funny? :Smile_amazed:

Now Snarg sad! :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Snarg not funny? :Smile_amazed:

Now Snarg sad! :Smile_sad:

Dude that chat funnies thread of yours made me lol last week when I found it. You sir have my upvotes.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,694 battles

In 3 years I have received:

Over 4k cammos. 

Over 3k in flags.

Almost half a year in free premium time.

16 free premium ships, 1 a tier 9.

6 free "special" class ships.

Over 12 free premium cammos.

So yes its boring in tier 8 to 10.

[PT]
Members
783 posts
2,777 battles

Been a DD pilot in tier 7+ can be very frustrating these days... Rocket planes that can hit you multiple times, even if your DD has decent AA it does little to fend them off, plus most cruisers having [edited] 21st century satellite Radar capabilities...

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,057 posts
36,022 battles
3 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Been a DD pilot in tier 7+ can be very frustrating these days... Rocket planes that can hit you multiple times, even if your DD has decent AA it does little to fend them off, plus most cruisers having [edited] 21st century satellite Radar capabilities...

Yep. I stopped playing T7 DDs. Mostly stick to T9. Rocket planes were one of the devs' dumber ideas, and they are now adding those AP rockets, piling insane on top of stupid. 

8 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Playerbase quality was, until the idiotic CV ReBork, much higher than at at the time you left. It has plummeted since. PvE is more populated partly because WG has kindly made so many of the grinds doable in PvE, and partly because so many players have left Randoms because of the terrible gameplay, especially in the higher tiers, and the ReBork. 

• Boring 3

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
10 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

THE GOOD

THE BAD

THE SAME

That´s it. 

Dd had no hard deterant so its great to put them in there place. They finally have a hard counter.

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles
6 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Over 4k cammos. 

Over 3k in flags.

Yes, I missed a lot of stuff. I know they do give nice thingys (ty for the Graf Spee), but in the mean time the world keeps turning out there and competition is fierce. Witcher 3, Steel División 1 & 2, Fortnite... Just saying

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Yep. I stopped playing T7 DDs. Mostly stick to T9. Rocket planes were one of the devs' dumber ideas, and they are now adding those AP rockets, piling insane on top of stupid. 

Playerbase quality was, until the idiotic CV ReBork, much higher than at at the time you left. It has plummeted since. PvE is more populated partly because WG has kindly made so many of the grinds doable in PvE, and partly because so many players have left Randoms because of the terrible gameplay, especially in the higher tiers, and the ReBork. 

That's a shame, I guess if I were a CV main I would be upset with the "ReBork" and rightly so. Is in fact a whole different playing experience, but I like it. I still think some kind of crossover between planes and ships would be fun, have an actual guy piloting a fighter flying CAP above your ship...

[PVE]
Members
4,259 posts
18,597 battles
7 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Over 4k cammos. 

Over 3k in flags.

I think it's not the free stuff that makes or breaks a game though.......  And yes, I'm in the same boat at just over two and a half years playing.  Heck, the xmas boxes in 2017 gave me 9 premium ships (Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Kidd among them) to start the game with!!!  WoW, my clan mate about stopped breathing at the content of the boxes he gifted me !

What I think measures success is the underlying values, the value proposition of WW2-esk naval combat, that has somewhat been tinkered with...........  To the point that DD are prey; that traditional roles and role expectations have been messed with; and, some ships released are sharks among minnows because it's all about profit now!  We are not a small niche, mature, historically based adult cooperative shooter anymore where quality drove the profit versus constant gimmicks doing so.  We've become a Pay-to-Achieve game that started as a F2P with levels of progression.   To me, kind of a Free-for-All (FFA) without skill levels anymore....   We see this in ranked where a new player bought a tier 10 ship and can't fight it.......yes, that creates profit, but, seriously erodes the concept of skill levels by tiers that erodes the confidence of the game being a "cooperative shooter"....   Arcade games need instant gratification and no skill threshold to survive........is that what we are now?  Just a kiddie arcade shooter with ships versus monsters........?   That is what I have seen happen in 2-1/2 years....

All of the free stuff was nice and grinding a ship type, one ship at a time to level 10, seemed to "mean something" before........now, if I had to do it all over again, I'd just buy 12 premiums ships and call it a day.......

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,801 posts
25,884 battles
12 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

dude, that's not the point. Some people you laugh with, some people you laugh at. Not saying one is better THAN the other, but you find people here that neither like to laugh with you, nor being laughed at. THEN why so serious?. This is just a game forum, not like we'll get banned for talking politics or serious stuff...

I think that it's EXACTLY the point. I hate class clowns. And I hate "why so serious", but I can't give you a truly proper response to it because such language is not welcome on the forum.

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles
3 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

I think it's not the free stuff that makes or breaks a game though.......  And yes, I'm in the same boat at just over two and a half years playing.  Heck, the xmas boxes in 2017 gave me 9 premium ships (Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Kidd among them) to start the game with!!!  WoW, my clan mate about stopped breathing at the content of the boxes he gifted me !

What I think measures success is the underlying values, the value proposition of WW2-esk naval combat, that has somewhat been tinkered with...........  To the point that DD are prey; that traditional roles and role expectations have been messed with; and, some ships released are sharks among minnows because it's all about profit now!  We are not a small niche, mature, historically based adult cooperative shooter anymore where quality drove the profit versus constant gimmicks doing so.  We've become a Pay-to-Achieve game that started as a F2P with levels of progression.   To me, kind of a Free-for-All (FFA) without skill levels anymore....   We see this in ranked where a new player bought a tier 10 ship and can't fight it.......yes, that creates profit, but, seriously erodes the concept of skill levels by tiers that erodes the confidence of the game being a "cooperative shooter"....   Arcade games need instant gratification and no skill threshold to survive........is that what we are now?  Just a kiddie arcade shooter with ships versus monsters........?   That is what I have seen happen in 2-1/2 years....

All of the free stuff was nice and grinding a ship type, one ship at a time to level 10, seemed to "mean something" before........now, if I had to do it all over again, I'd just buy 12 premiums ships and call it a day.......

As I see things, there is an identity crisis on top of a business model crisis to the game. 

Back then it was common practice for F2P games to give you free access to lower levels and charge you to have access to the advanced areas or levels of the game. WoWS more or less follows that rule, but the trend now is giving the player full access to the game and selling you stuff on the side, WoWS looks like is trying to do both and is taxing the player experience. As you well say, the thing that made this game unique (at least to me) was that semi-historical approach, the relative complexity of variables in play and being more about decision making than twitch skills. By dumbing it down to be more arcadish, the angst about balance and the drive to push new "products & services" on the costumer,  the game drifts away from what makes it special.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I can't give you a truly proper response to it because such language is not welcome on the forum.

C´mon bro, come at me. Hit me with your hardest grammatically correct insult. You'll be OK, Forum Police will delete it so fast you will doubt yourself to ever having posted it. 

Trying to pick a fight here is an excercise in futility :Smile_amazed:

[SYN]
Members
15,860 posts
12,803 battles

Did WG ever fix the issue with HE dive bombers one shotting subs?

I mean, it's probably a "feature" for all I care, but I don't think subs will be the counter to CVs, just say'n.

Edited by MrDeaf

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,694 battles
4 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

When grinding my Grozovoi legendary upgrade I went into a 1 cv match.

3 kills, 1 a dev strike on CV.

3 solo caps.

Over 90k spotting damage.

Air supremacy medal.

Over 100k in damage.

Top of team.

Top of team.

I am a 48% potato. 

53% on Grozovoi. 

64 battles.

..... DD's are not prey, just do not have the easy hunting grounds anymore. 

[SALVO]
Members
24,801 posts
25,884 battles
21 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

C´mon bro, come at me. Hit me with your hardest grammatically correct insult. You'll be OK, Forum Police will delete it so fast you will doubt yourself to ever having posted it. 

Trying to pick a fight here is an excercise in futility :Smile_amazed:

I'm not the one trying to pick a fight here.  You are, with your offensive class clown bovine fecal matter nonsense.

[-F-]
Members
422 posts
20,946 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

I think that it's EXACTLY the point. I hate class clowns. And I hate "why so serious", but I can't give you a truly proper response to it because such language is not welcome on the forum.

you should warn him now that  you're a New Englander with little to no sense of humor. Otherwise he will think he's not overmatched. 

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles
21 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Did WG ever fix the issue with HE dive bombers one shotting subs?

I mean, it's probably a "feature" for all I care, but I don't think subs will be the counter to CVs, just say'n.

I dunno, just guessing the subs  place in the food chain. Maybe  by having super short air detection range they could creep on CV's?  cuz the thing with the homing torps is so ridiculous I don't think it will stick.