You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tigerspook

Sovetsky Soyuz, first impressions

12 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
4,317 battles

I acquired the Sovetsky Soyuz this week, for all intents and purposes my first tier 9 ship.

So far, I am delighted. Fast enough, hits hard if inconsistently, tough enough.  My win rate is terrible, but I don't think this is a reflection on me; but that's a rant for another time.

I don't have the gun range mod yet but I do have the B hull.

Question about upgrades.  5th slot, Concealment?  6th slot, Main battery?  If I can tolerate the Pensacola's turrets, I can tolerate the Soyuz' turret rotation for a 10% firing rate increase.

Any remarkable suggestions for the captain? Currently I am running the standard PT, EL, SI, CE, AR on a 12-pt captain. What's next, FP?

Members
163 posts
4,317 battles

I got impatient and purchased the concealment upgrade for the 5th slot.  No regrets.

Members
163 posts
4,317 battles

This bote seems to be a winner. I am getting 100k games with regularity which is uncommon for substandard players such as myself.

Don't yet have the extended main battery module.  But i did take the slot 6 Main Battery Reload 3 upgrade. I didn't notice the turrets rotating slower.

Looks like my next captain skill must be fire prevention.

Members
163 posts
4,317 battles

Starting to reconsider, especially after the recent cruiser armor buffs.  Soyuz is performing poorly.  It has inconsistent guns, one is lucky to get a pen per salvo at 12km.  Now the shells are bouncing off any cruiser with half a brain.  Average damage on the ship is way down.  Bad dispersion + tanky targets = low score.

[UN1]
Members
1,081 posts
3,416 battles

I performed really well with this ship, buuuut I'm not going to say it's an easy ship to play.  The key to understanding the Soyuz is that it has a bit of a Roma syndrome; exaggerated vertical dispersion.  The Izumo also has this as well, as this is kind of a "feature" of battleships that have very high muzzle velocity.  That said, if you expect this ship to be inconsistent, then you'll actually start performing a lot better in it 'cause you won't get so angry when it outright misses that huge juicy broadside at 4km. 

Yep, that happened to me, lol.

So pick your targets well.  Plan accordingly.  Use that massive armor to outlast your opponent.  Russian battleships don't have very high DPM, but they can be pretty efficient at delivering it. 

Members
163 posts
4,317 battles

Looks like RNG is not hating on me as bad.

I've been doing overall better again. I've had a few 100k games now, one was at 146k. That's good for me.  And some first place finishes too.

I don't know what I have been doing differently, but one can play passively and stay back, kinda assertive, and berserkly aggressive.  This ship is relatively ineffective in the first case - you can get 60k games by sniping and being opportunistic.  In the latter case, you just get destroyed by being focused.  But there's a sweet spot, "kinda assertive" where you take what you're given, and no more.  Then the Soyuz is pretty pushy and the citadels start happening.

Highlight lately was when a Takao emerged from behind at Island at 4km.  I was waiting.  As I shot, an allied Mogador passed between us. I shot the crap out of him, lol, and the Takao finished him instantly thereafter.  The Takao survived with only one citadel being delivered. I wonder if a shell that hit the Mogador went on to citadel the Takao :-D.  That game was 146k, a win, first place, and I turned pink.

Members
163 posts
4,317 battles

AND FURTHERMORE, the grind to the Kremlin has been pretty easy.  I'm a low-average player, charitably speaking, and the experience piles up fast.  Now, I don't have the 30 million credits it will take to actually outfit the boat, but that'll come eventually.

Members
163 posts
4,317 battles

So I did research the Kremlin today, using no free exp.

Tell me this. I am having a hard time damaging Jean Bart and Bismarck.  I can only get 1 or 2 pens per salvo.  Even well angled they seem to have no problem removing my health much quicker.  Even a Seattle rammed me tonight. I put 8+ shells into its snoot. Pens but no citadel. I need to be able to kill quicker.

Members
829 posts
4,668 battles

My first impressions are it's very similar to the Sinop and Vlad.

I think this is my 3rd game in it. Did well.

image.thumb.png.0680b06426acb04aea1a846da8282f3b.png

I even got to kill a Carrier which had parked itself in a bad spot in the middle of the map and couldn't move lol. I stopped the ship 4.5km away from it and pelted it with secondaries & multiple full broadsides into the side.

Members
829 posts
4,668 battles

This a really nice ship for a Tier 9, many trees have just trash at Tier 9 to try and force people to skip past with free XP, this one is very solid.

My highest damage game outside a Georgia. Too many ships giving broadside, 71k to a Yamato, 15k on a Jean Bart off a single volley of 4 shots, a Goliath with 40k and sunk and a Worcester for 14k after firing just one single 6 shot broadside at them, 18k to a Carrier with only 3 hits. Took 142k damage in return, 1.9 mil potential damage. Even got 26k damage off my spotting lol. Combine that with the League service reduction banner, a service reduction flag and a 20+ bonus from the camo for a nice profit.

image.thumb.png.8617fe5fa716c636d00812a816e76ae9.png

Members
5,160 posts
60 battles
On 3/14/2020 at 3:32 AM, Tigerspook said:

I acquired the Sovetsky Soyuz this week, for all intents and purposes my first tier 9 ship.

So far, I am delighted. Fast enough, hits hard if inconsistently, tough enough.  My win rate is terrible, but I don't think this is a reflection on me; but that's a rant for another time.

I don't have the gun range mod yet but I do have the B hull.

Question about upgrades.  5th slot, Concealment?  6th slot, Main battery?  If I can tolerate the Pensacola's turrets, I can tolerate the Soyuz' turret rotation for a 10% firing rate increase.

Any remarkable suggestions for the captain? Currently I am running the standard PT, EL, SI, CE, AR on a 12-pt captain. What's next, FP?

Sadly, Soviet BBs have no gun range mod (not the FCS range upgrade). Perhaps your choices will be either main gun reload mod or AA efficiency mod. If you get main gun reload mod, make sure you have other mod and/or turret skill to compensate

For 5th slot, you could have consumable mod as an option too, you may need it to survive under nasty situations

Captain skills? AFT is also a good option. Although I wanna try out optimizing secondary guns parameter with manual focus fire, but an upgraded Soyuza seems discouraging as it stripped away all four 100mm DP guns while traded all 152mm deck guns with 130mm DP guns. It's an upgrade & a downgrade at the same time. By downgrade, 6 x 130mm DP guns on boardside is a lackluster compare to the stock hull layout

Edited by Xero_Snake

Members
829 posts
4,668 battles

On mine I never even bothered with the range mod or the 5th & 6th slot upgrades. 9 million silver felt like a lot of cash when I was going to have to pay 17 million for the Kremlin.

I've stopped bothering with concealment upgrades & skills. There's too many CV's, radars and soon to be submarines in the game to make it worthwhile and how often do you really need concealment in a Battleship? Just adjust your playstyle though so that if you need to kite away and go dark that you understand that higher concealment means it's harder to do so. Soviet ships are incredible tanky, guns aimed at you are guns not aimed at your team-mates. And it's not like you can out-conceal high level torpedo boats anyway.

I would use the same build as a Kremlin:

• Main Armament 1 or Magazine Mod 1 or if you have the coal for it, the special Damage Control Party Mod 1 that upgrades Damage Control action time. 
  • Damage Control 1.
  • Aiming Systems 1.
  • Damage Control 2.
  • Ship Consumables 1.
  • Main Battery 3 (reload boost, traverse nerf).

Captain Build:

• Priority Target
  • Jack Of All Trades
  • Superintendent
  • Fire Prevention
  • Basics Of Survivability
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Expert Marksman
  • High Alert
Edited by macktkau2