You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

USS NC Anchors Away Cancelled

223 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,614 posts
17,801 battles

Thought for sure the Alligators would have kept the virus away. 

• Funny 1

Members
12,615 posts
14,320 battles

Must say I saw this coming couple weeks ago.

Good news is the US response to the virus is kicking into gear swiftly enough that it should hopefully be put to rest soon enough. So hoping we can have big events again by late Summer or the Fall.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[GPORT]
Members
246 posts
14,334 battles

Aye , they just announced all Mich schools closed till april 5th .

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Must say I saw this coming couple weeks ago.

Good news is the US response to the virus is kicking into gear swiftly enough that it should hopefully be put to rest soon enough. So hoping we can have big events again by late Summer or the Fall.

IMO response all around has been really slow.  All the restrictions should have happened a long time ago, but that's too late now.  Cruise ships, airlines, mass groups of people were still going around like normal, no wonder the sh*t spread.  I'm here in freaking San Diego, a hub for international travel with cruise ships and an airport.  Great combination!  There was a flight I had long planned to visit family in Northern California, but that had to get cancelled.  Then I got an email from Southwest Airlines about a week ago talking about how they're taking great pains on cleaning their planes...

:Smile_teethhappy:

Yeah right.

When the sh*t hit the fan in China, international travel was going on like nothing happened, and people are surprised now that its spread? :Smile_ohmy:

A while back some cruise ship was held off the coast of California, near the BIG CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO because of infected people.  Yet all cruise ships, airlines were running like nothing was going on.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

[WORX]
Members
13,334 posts
20,173 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There was a flight I had long planned to visit family in Northern California,

Are other transportation services avail. like the train or the bus service to visit your folks?

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles
4 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Are other transportation services avail. like the train or the bus service to visit your folks?

There is, but that means getting into pretty good sized groups of people.  I don't want that.  I'm not worried about myself so much.  It's my Mom back home up there, she's quite up there in the years.  But she stays with my Sister.

I *could* drive up to Northern California, but I still need to make a bunch of stops because of the 10 or so hour drive.  What I don't want is catching something along the way and then exposing my family, especially Mom to it.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
33,672 posts
10,473 battles
29 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

IMO response all around has been really slow.  All the restrictions should have happened a long time ago, but that's too late now.  Cruise ships, airlines, mass groups of people were still going around like normal, no wonder the sh*t spread.  I'm here in freaking San Diego, a hub for international travel with cruise ships and an airport.  Great combination!  There was a flight I had long planned to visit family in Northern California, but that had to get cancelled.  Then I got an email from Southwest Airlines about a week ago talking about how they're taking great pains on cleaning their planes...

:Smile_teethhappy:

Yeah right.

When the sh*t hit the fan in China, international travel was going on like nothing happened, and people are surprised now that its spread? :Smile_ohmy:

A while back some cruise ship was held off the coast of California, near the BIG CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO because of infected people.  Yet all cruise ships, airlines were running like nothing was going on.

The "bright" side is, the virus is "mild" enough that nations will still be around to learn from mistakes, and hopefully will have a better response when a real killer comes along.

If we had this many people infected even "just" with SARS, with the response we have, things would be much worse, and if it was something like Ebola, civilisation could well be on its way out.

Members
131 posts
7,298 battles
30 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

The "bright" side is, the virus is "mild" enough that nations will still be around to learn from mistakes, and hopefully will have a better response when a real killer comes along.

If we had this many people infected even "just" with SARS, with the response we have, things would be much worse, and if it was something like Ebola, civilisation could well be on its way out.

Not to nit pick, but actually Ebola is not a huge risk, it kills too fast and in modern healthcare systems you could stop it fairly quickly. What everyone should be worried about is something like the Spanish or Swine flu (sorry if that sounds like I’m biased against the Spanish or pigs :( ). The transmit as easily as Covid-19 (aka the Wuhan virus and no, I’m not biased against Asians) and they kill the strong and healthy rather than the old and sick so your healthcare workers get wiped out first. Fortunately we can come up with flu vaccines relatively quickly. However, if something as contagious as the measles but deadly came out that we didn’t have a preexisting treatment for then we are in real trouble. 

Covid-19 is bad, but not that much worse than a severe flu. Hopefully governments will learn from this and not forget quickly like we did after SARS.

On a final note sorry they had to cancel, I’m looking forward to when the tour comes to New England, hopefully this will be over by then.

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
1,674 posts

Have not be much issue here Croatia.

I know rest of world have this problem , but here, does not seem be major issue.  I guess having this view on outside looking in is maybe.

[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,122 battles

Well, that's unfortunate.  I live in Charlotte and was looking at maybe driving down for one of the days.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,672 posts
10,473 battles
1 hour ago, RYANMK48 said:

Not to nit pick, but actually Ebola is not a huge risk, it kills too fast and in modern healthcare systems you could stop it fairly quickly. What everyone should be worried about is something like the Spanish or Swine flu (sorry if that sounds like I’m biased against the Spanish or pigs :( ). The transmit as easily as Covid-19 (aka the Wuhan virus and no, I’m not biased against Asians) and they kill the strong and healthy rather than the old and sick so your healthcare workers get wiped out first.

Yeah, that's more like it. I just basically used Ebola, as everybody identifies it as deadly.

I think the fact that COVID preys on the weakened and elderly, is why more people aren't completely freaking out.

I know that if COVID was a worse disease, I'd probably have already packed up (or at least be in the process of doing so) and gone north to camp out in the bush for an extended period.

Covid-19 is bad, but not that much worse than a severe flu. Hopefully governments will learn from this and not forget quickly like we did after SARS.

Agreed. If this were universally deadly, a lot of governments wouldn't be around afterwards to learn from it.

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,689 battles

Aloha,

As I said on Twitter, it is one of the hardest things, when you love your job so much. The interaction with the community, working with each other, meeting each other, torping each other (ehem), to have to cancel an event like this. This is our chance to meet you, see you, get to know you on a more personal level and it sucks that we cannot do so at NC.

From us on the community team, to all of you I am sorry. But your safety is paramount to us and we want everyone to continue to be healthy and happy without the risk that might be associated with gathering. Hopefully, we can reschedule this visit in the future!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Not to nit pick, but actually Ebola is not a huge risk, it kills too fast and in modern healthcare systems you could stop it fairly quickly. What everyone should be worried about is something like the Spanish or Swine flu (sorry if that sounds like I’m biased against the Spanish or pigs :( ). The transmit as easily as Covid-19 (aka the Wuhan virus and no, I’m not biased against Asians) and they kill the strong and healthy rather than the old and sick so your healthcare workers get wiped out first. Fortunately we can come up with flu vaccines relatively quickly. However, if something as contagious as the measles but deadly came out that we didn’t have a preexisting treatment for then we are in real trouble. 

On a final note sorry they had to cancel, I’m looking forward to when the tour comes to New England, hopefully this will be over by then.

1918 flu is probably the closest historical comparison we have for COVID19 (though to be clear  for certain politicians and other idiots out there, COVID19 is not "an influenza") in terms of transmission and case fatality rate.  As you note, 1918 had a strange habit of ignoring the normal patterns and being a greater than normal risk to the young and healthy. 

For those who are saying "this is just like a bad flu", no, not really.  There's no partial immunity built up in the population from years of exposure to and vaccinations against related strains, there is no vaccine yet, antiviral drugs aren't sorted out yet, and the fatality rate is probably somewhere between 2% and 3% compared to 0.1% for typical influenza strains.   To put some numbers on it, if 10% of the US population ends up infected with COVID19, then you're looking at 500,000 to 1,000,000 deaths in this country alone, especially if the spread isn't slowed as much as possible. 

2 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

As I said on Twitter, it is one of the hardest things, when you love your job so much. The interaction with the community, working with each other, meeting each other, torping each other (ehem), to have to cancel an event like this. This is our chance to meet you, see you, get to know you on a more personal level and it sucks that we cannot do so at NC.

From us on the community team, to all of you I am sorry. But your safety is paramount to us and we want everyone to continue to be healthy and happy without the risk that might be associated with gathering. Hopefully, we can reschedule this visit in the future!

The WG team made the right decision here, don't ever doubt that.

Until we get a handle on this thing, better safe than sorry.  Slowing down the spread will save lives, suffering, and even money in the long run.

E:  Wow, someone thinks this is "funny"?  Grow up. Do the math.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,499 posts
18,502 battles

I'd be tempted just to scrub them all now and get it over with. Take the hit, weep the salty tears, and have a better and healthier 2021. 

[WOLFG]
Members
33,672 posts
10,473 battles
21 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

To put some numbers on it, if 10% of the US population ends up infected with COVID19, then you're looking at 500,000 to 1,000,000 deaths in this country alone, especially if the spread isn't slowed as much as possible.

A University of Toronto epidemiology study put the infection rate at 70%, if we do nothing different, with it dropping to "only" 35%, if measures are taken that stop short of heavily disrupting the economy. To lower that, it moves to more draconian measures, such as large-scale quarantining and sealed borders. (national and provincial)

I have a feeling 10% may be optimistic, especially with your higher population density. (I hope that 10% is pessimistic though)

One thing that's really making me angry though, is the selfish hoarding. According to a friend of my wife's, neither of our hospitals can get toilet paper or hand sanitizer, and apparently not even hazmat suits through normal channels. People are even refilling their own hand sanitizer bottles at the dispensers, and stealing toilet paper from the washrooms.

Edited by Skpstr

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

A University of Toronto epidemiology study put the infection rate at 70%, if we do nothing different, with it dropping to "only" 35%, if measures are taken that stop short of heavily disrupting the economy. To lower that, it moves to more draconian measures, such as large-scale quarantining.

I have a feeling 10% may be optimistic, especially with your higher population density. (I hope that 10% is pessimistic though)

I went with conservative numbers to illustrate how small percentages become big numbers when looking at a population in the hundreds of millions. 

If it's only 10% infected, and the lowish death rate of 2%, that's still 640,000 deaths in the US. 

There's a rational level of concern and preparation that I'm trying to encourage everyone I know to adopt.  This isn't "just another flu", but it's also not the black death.   I made a point a couple weeks ago of setting up enough stuff to spend 95% of my time at home for 2 or 3 weeks if necessary. 

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
15 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

A University of Toronto epidemiology study put the infection rate at 70%, if we do nothing different, with it dropping to "only" 35%, if measures are taken that stop short of heavily disrupting the economy. To lower that, it moves to more draconian measures, such as large-scale quarantining and sealed borders. (national and provincial)

One thing that's really making me angry though, is the selfish hoarding. According to a friend of my wife's, neither of our hospitals can get toilet paper or hand sanitizer, and apparently not even hazmat suits through normal channels. People are even refilling their own hand sanitizer bottles at the dispensers, and stealing toilet paper from the washrooms.

I can understand hoarding (to some degree) when a population is forced to deal with hurricanes and other catastrophic events, but can't see the logic in hoarding water and toilet paper in the face of an outbreak like this.

Remind me how toilet paper will save the hoarders in this event?

[ARGSY]
Members
24,499 posts
18,502 battles

An evil plot by gaming companies to keep gamers at home? 

Something I wanted to raise with the microbiologists if I'd got to my conference that just got nixed yesterday morning was what the conversion rate of seropositivity to active disease was across various demographics. I don't want to know the percentage of people who are going to become seropositive; I want to know the proportion of seropositive individuals who are going to come down with something that actually requires hospitalisation.

[PVE]
Members
20,164 posts
13,059 battles
41 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Mahalo,

-Hapa

It's the right thing to do. We all need to do what we can to limit the spread.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
33,672 posts
10,473 battles
4 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

There's a rational level of concern and preparation that I'm trying to encourage everyone I know to adopt.  This isn't "just another flu", but it's also not the black death.   I made a point a couple weeks ago of setting up enough stuff to spend 95% of my time at home for 2 or 3 weeks if necessary. 

We just did a toilet paper restock at Costco, just before the buying craze started, so we're good there.

We're doing grocery shopping tonight, and we're going to pick up extra stuff. At least with the relative "mildness" of the virus, I can't see us losing any utilities. And my wife and I just filled our 3-month prescriptions last week, so we're good there.

I'm just glad we have a house with a backyard. I'd hate to be stuck in an apartment, where even if you do go outside, you're going through a public hallway.

My wife and daughter are actually going to do some travelling while the school closure is on, to visit (and check on) my mom, and see my cousin (a teacher) and her kids. It's just a 3-hr car ride though, no public transportation. I will be playing a lot of WoWS while they're away. (I'll make sure I have lots of munchies on hand, I won't be ordering pizza as usual, heh)

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

We just did a toilet paper restock at Costco, just before the buying craze started, so we're good there.

We're doing grocery shopping tonight, and we're going to pick up extra stuff. At least with the relative "mildness" of the virus, I can't see us losing any utilities. And my wife and I just filled our 3-month prescriptions last week, so we're good there.

I'm just glad we have a house with a backyard. I'd hate to be stuck in an apartment, where even if you do go outside, you're going through a public hallway.

My wife and daughter are actually going to do some travelling while the school closure is on, to visit (and check on) my mom, and see my cousin (a teacher) and her kids. It's just a 3-hr car ride though, no public transportation. I will be playing a lot of WoWS while they're away. (I'll make sure I have lots of munchies on hand, I won't be ordering pizza as usual, heh)

On the utilities thing, I've been trying to talk someone I know down off the "collapse of society" ledge, he keeps insisting that we're going to lose power and water and so on, and that in a few months we'll need to defend our homes from being raided.  :Smile_facepalm:

I'm going to avoid eating at restaurants and similar for a while, I hate to do that to the businesses, but other people touching my food just before I eat it right now just makes me kinda nervous. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[WOLFG]
Members
33,672 posts
10,473 battles
7 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I can understand hoarding (to some degree) when a population is forced to deal with hurricanes and other catastrophic events, but can't see the logic in hoarding water and toilet paper in the face of an outbreak like this.

Remind me how toilet paper will save the hoarders in this event?

Water I don't get either, this isn't going to shut down utilities.

Toilet paper is, oddly enough, one of those "luxuries" that people will take risks to get.

IMO, it's a sanitary thing. You've gotta wipe, and TP is about all you can flush and get rid of. Anything else, you have to (at least temporarily) store somewhere, and using your hand doesn't do as good a job, and even washing immediately afterwards, you can spread bacteria between the toilet and the sink.

It's kind of like cigarettes. When disaster strikes, you don't really need them, but having them is one less stressor in an already stressful situation.

Members
4,079 posts
25,841 battles

Was going to take a long weekend at the family beach house about 30 min away and go both days. Bummer. May go anyway, fish and beach comb instead. 😀