You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USS_Taylor_Swift

Smalland any good?

30 comments in this topic

Members
1,323 posts
1,286 battles

I'm sitting on 2.4 million FXP, but using almost all of that for this one ship seems like an insane price, especially since MO was only 750k and others were 1m. Why is this ship so expensive? I would consider my account to be somewhat rich in resources since I've been playing for so long and have something like 16k battles. How is the regular user supposed to come up with that much?

Members
738 posts

I would stay far, far away from this new line for a while. There's a chance that WG will need to balance things out after they start seeing data, and there's no reason to drop 2 million XP until they've done so.

• Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
864 posts
13,740 battles
12 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I'm sitting on 2.4 million FXP, but using almost all of that for this one ship seems like an insane price, especially since MO was only 750k and others were 1m. Why is this ship so expensive? I would consider my account to be somewhat rich in resources since I've been playing for so long and have something like 16k battles. How is the regular user supposed to come up with that much?

I had a real interest in Smalland when it was 1st announced, but watching videos by the usual suspects makes me think the regular grind T10 Halland might be the better deal.  Plus, it's 2 million cheaper!

Either way...

• Cool 1

[ENDO]
Members
68 posts

I took the plunge. My only other t10 DD is Gearing. I am really enjoying Smalland so far. Probably because I'm a blissful idiot in DDs. Not having smoke forcing me to be a better DD driver. Being mindful of escape routes and playing a more supportive role. The reward? Having radar to seal the fate of enemy DDs who overextend. Those torps are also sublime for smoked up targets. Additionally I am getting lots of double floods on targets when I connect. Feels good.

Edited by MBRicochet
  • Cool 2

[TCAL]
Members
66 posts
9,858 battles
1 hour ago, olddirtynapkin said:

Because of inflation.  We're earning more XP now than the MO days.

^^ This.

Also, Missouri, Jean Bart, etc. are all Tier 9s. Smalland is a Tier 10. Can be used in T10 ranked, clan battles, etc.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,438 posts

No ship is worth 2 million "Free" XP.

All signs and reviews indicate that Smaland in particular is definitely not worth that price.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles

Friesland, if you don't have it, has had many positive reviews and at half the price if you want a PE DD. I certainly enjoy it.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,729 posts
11,341 battles

its probably a good ship, its basically a Friesland with torps, its just the price tag is far too high

[NG-NL]
Members
240 posts
8,982 battles
3 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

Friesland, if you don't have it, has had many positive reviews and at half the price if you want a PE DD. I certainly enjoy it.

Absolutely Friesland. Stealthy enough to scout, hilariously fast reload, long smoke, and the AA launches Ronaldinho to kick down airplanes.

I saved and saved and finally got Smolensk. Which is a wonderful ship. Unfortunately, I got Friesland soon after, and it's buckets of fun and poor Smolensk has mostly stayed in port.

Especially to the original poster, whom I see plays gunboat DDs. If you have the Free XP (or the extra cash), look at the Friesland. 

That said, I'm intrigued by Småland and want to hear more experiences with her. On paper, she's a slightly weaker Friesland with torps and spood beast.

Members
3,040 posts
6,216 battles
2 hours ago, MBRicochet said:

I took the plunge. My only other t10 DD is Gearing. I am really enjoying Smalland so far. Probably because I'm a blissful idiot in DDs. Not having smoke forcing me to be a better DD driver. Being mindful of escape routes and playing a more supportive role. The reward? Having radar to seal the fate of enemy DDs who overextend. Those torps are also sublime for smoked up targets. Additionally I am getting lots of double floods on targets when I connect. Feels good.

I did have a very delicious Smaland random game the other day where I was out on a flank a bit and saw a single smoke cloud with 130mm HE raining out of it onto my teammates. I put eight torps into it and got three hits. Didn't kill him, but he wasn't expecting torpedoes out of nowhere from 10 km away, that's for sure. Skeered him right outta there!

Members
3,040 posts
6,216 battles
22 minutes ago, imaginary_b said:

Absolutely Friesland. Stealthy enough to scout, hilariously fast reload, long smoke, and the AA launches Ronaldinho to kick down airplanes.

I saved and saved and finally got Smolensk. Which is a wonderful ship. Unfortunately, I got Friesland soon after, and it's buckets of fun and poor Smolensk has mostly stayed in port.

Especially to the original poster, whom I see plays gunboat DDs. If you have the Free XP (or the extra cash), look at the Friesland. 

That said, I'm intrigued by Småland and want to hear more experiences with her. On paper, she's a slightly weaker Friesland with torps and spood beast.

I have both. They're different. Friesland seems to handle better and get to top speed a bit faster. Friesland's guns are at least 20% better, IMHO, due to fire rate and 360-degree turret rotation, but Smaland's are good. Friesland's smoke is what makes them so different. I think I like Friesland better, but I am glad I have both. You would think that having torpedoes would make people more reluctant to charge Smaland, but when you charge bow-on, odds are good you'll only take one torpedo, if any, and the damage is so bad no battleship or cruiser is really going to notice. Also her torpedo angles to the bow are poor, which limits her knife fighting some.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,438 posts
26 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

its probably a good ship, its basically a Friesland with torps, its just the price tag is far too high

It gives up smoke (and I think the hydro) to get those torps.

IMO, Friesland was worth the million, far more so than even Alaska... if one ignores the bloated tier 9 pricing now and just takes that to tier 10, a GOOD tier 10 ship would be 1.25 million maybe.  And Smaland is not, by most accounts, a good ship. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Members
3,040 posts
6,216 battles
6 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

It gives up smoke (and I think the hydro) to get those torps.

IMO, Friesland was worth the million, far more so than even Alaska... if one ignores the bloated tier 9 pricing now and just takes that to tier 10, a GOOD tier 10 ship would be 1.25 million maybe.  And Smaland is not, by most accounts, a good ship. 

One thing both ships have in common is that if you division with a complementary destroyer, you are 300% more powerful than either of you were separately.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,438 posts
8 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

One thing both ships have in common is that if you division with a complementary destroyer, you are 300% more powerful than either of you were separately.

The old "div up an Atlanta with a Flint" trick?  

[ICBM]
Members
803 posts
8,982 battles
7 hours ago, Sumseaman said:

+100. Love my Friesland. Just so. Much. Fun.

Members
1,323 posts
1,286 battles
9 hours ago, Sumseaman said:

I have Friesland and it kinda sucks.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
1 hour ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I have Friesland and it kinda sucks.

Then whatever you do don't get Smaland.

Don't take my word for it....listen to the Flamu...

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,389 posts
13,322 battles
On 3/12/2020 at 10:25 PM, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I find it interesting, but not 2 million FXP interesting.

The torps are great, so are the guns, though I dislike the limited number of turrets.  I find the play style of a full gun build running AFT instead of CE and using radar to counter spot offending DDs pretty unique.  A big gripe I have is the very short duration engine boost.  Its not a fast DD to start, and having really high boost speed but for a very limited time limits the functionality of it.  I'd rather have less of a bonus but longer duration so I can use it while gunboating.

Bottom line, I feel the boat should have a 1.2 to 1.5 million FXP price.  Unless CUTER asks me to get it for comp its a pass for me.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

Members
1,323 posts
1,286 battles
6 hours ago, Sumseaman said:

Then whatever you do don't get Smaland.

Don't take my word for it....listen to the Flamu...

What I don't like about friesland is the complete lack of torps. Smaland has very good ones though

Members
613 posts
72 battles
On 3/13/2020 at 3:25 AM, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Flamu said its a decent ship but not worth that price. Do you want radar over def AA as in Halland.

I will not go for Småland but instead use my FXP to jump to Halland. It will be a great day when you can just say F You to all CVs

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
306 posts
11,312 battles

I have well over the 2 mill price, however, I can free xp the Halland for around 650,000.  From what I read, Halland seems to be a better overall ship.  I never free xp ships, however, havent played this line alot.  Have the Friesland and like it alot.

Thought as to spending 2 mill on Smaland,   or going with the Halland and keep a bunch of my free XP in the bank?

[-VT-]
Members
832 posts
24,817 battles
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 12:39 PM, KilljoyCutter said:

No ship is worth 2 million "Free" XP.

All signs and reviews indicate that Smaland in particular is definitely not worth that price.

The price is "free" , if you have the Free EP and you like DDs then I would recommend it. Its a DD hunter with good AA

[WOLFC]
Members
1,871 posts
9,709 battles

I don't have buyer's regret over getting it because I honestly don't know what I'd prefer to get with that FreeXp.

But its my #4 ship in the Euro line  after Fries, Halland & Oster.  

Members
3,040 posts
6,216 battles

Well the thing is that Smaland and Halland are very similar with the exception of the radar. The loss of two torpedoes off the broadside is noticeable in Smaland, and the Halland has just barely noticeably less main gun power. So depends on how much you value the radar. Honestly I probably play Friesland the most when I want to gun things and Halland when I want to torpedo things. I haven't really mastered the radar destroyer gig.