KARMAT1KA

[Guide] Hotkeys for Screenshots, Replays and Using Free Camera Mode

25 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Community Department, WG Staff
119 posts
776 battles

As you may already be familiar, I typically host a weekly #screenshotsaturday contest on our social media pages. In turn, I’ve seen a lot of amazing screenshots that have come in from our players, but also a number of questions about how to capture these types of screenshots. Therefore, I thought it would be a great opportunity to review how to watch your game replays, take screenshots, and use hotkeys for free cams so that you all can get the perfect game capture! Because who knows when you may need to use that epic torpedo soup drop for bragging rights :cap_haloween:

How to access replays and screenshots?

Replays are automatically saved in your game folder on your computer. You will first have to find the folder on your computer where you’ve saved the game. Once you’ve found this folder you should be able to open it up and find another file labeled “Replays” which automatically saves the last 15 gameplays you’ve played. The will be in the folder labeled with the ship you played and timestamp. 

(The exception being when a new patch is released. Your replays prior to the patch will no longer be accessible.)

replays.PNG

Now that you’ve found the folder, to open a replay you must first make sure that you don’t have the game currently running. Then, right-click the replay that you would like to view and select Open. For the first time you do this, your computer may ask you what program to open the file with. You will need to select the World of Warships game client. Once you have told your computer how to open these files, they should automatically open the game every time you open these files. 

You probably also noticed that in the same game folder where your replays are located, there is another folder labeled “Screenshot”.

At any point in the game, you can press Prt Sc to save a screenshot from the game to this folder

When doing this in a battle, it won’t make any noise, there will not be any distinct notification, but it will automatically save here in the folder.

Note: This feature, unfortunately, does not work when watching replays. This is only for regular game client mode. For capturing screenshots in replays, you will still have to use the good ole’ fashioned Prt Scr button and paste it into Paint (or Photoshop if you’re fancy :cap_like:)

How to control the Cameras during replays?

Once you’re watching your replays there are several hotkeys that you can use which I’ve listed below. It should be noted, that majority of these options are specifically for Free cam mode, so if you are wanting to watch the battle from a tournament-style view, you’re going to want to just start off in the free cam mode, which I’ve conveniently listed as the first shortcut!

Free cam mode = Ctrl + Shift + Backspace

Page Up/Page Down = switching camera

Remove UI from screen = CTRL + J

Remove UI from port screen = Right-click and hold. You can use your scroll wheel to zoom in and out. 

Note: The following are specifically tied to num pad keys.

4,5,6,8 = Camera directional angling

7 = Camera up

9 = Camera down

1 = Camera angle forward

3 = Camera angle backward

Arrow Keys = Camera direction

B = Fixed camera on a ship to following its movements

Shift + B = Fixed camera on a specific ship following both movements and turn

Exit out of free cam mode = Left mouse button

Insert = speeds up the replay  * *proceed with caution on this shortcut. If you initiate Godspeed too quickly it may cause your replay to crash.

Delete = slow down the replay

End = pause replay

Home = normal speed

Being able to freely move the camera while watching replays also provides a totally new experience for appreciating some of the game landscapes and graphics that typically get overlooked by the average person.

ss.png

I’ve also found it particularly helpful in my personal quest to “get gud” to watch replays specifically to watch how other members on my team handled being in certain situations.

I hope you all find this helpful. I invite you to use this thread to share any cool and interesting screenshots you were able to take with this method. Also please let us know if you have any additional tips that I may have missed in this guide.

torpedoes.png

See you on the high seas, Captains!

• Cool 20
  • Boring 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,457 posts
10,908 battles
2 hours ago, KARMAT1KA said:

Now that you’ve found the folder, to open a replay you must first make sure that you don’t have the game currently running. Then, right-click the replay that you would like to view and select Open. For the first time you do this, your computer may ask you what program to open the file with. You will need to select the World of Warships game client. Once you have told your computer how to open these files, they should automatically open the game every time you open these files. 

You probably also noticed that in the same game folder where your replays are located, there is another folder labeled “Screenshot”.

I did all this but it doesn't open the replay it just takes me to the log in screen .

[WG]
119 posts
776 battles
26 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I did all this but it doesn't open the replay it just takes me to the log in screen .

Hmm.. I would reset the default file opener once again just to make sure you're linking it right.

Does it show this when you right-click the replay and select "open with" does it show this? 

client.PNG

• Cool 1

[_ARP_]
Members
765 posts
35,726 battles

Ty, I’ll try to follow this so that I could learn about camera angling if needed 

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,457 posts
10,908 battles
1 hour ago, KARMAT1KA said:

Hmm.. I would reset the default file opener once again just to make sure you're linking it right.

Does it show this when you right-click the replay and select "open with" does it show this? 

client.PNG

I cant find client runner when i try to open the replay file its not one of  the options . Not good with computers don't know how to do that sorry restart default file opener .

Edited by clammboy

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,905 posts
13,343 battles
8 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I cant find client runner when i try to open the replay file its not one of  the options . Not good with computers don't know how to do that sorry restart default file opener .

Try to:

Right click on it and "Open with" and then find the client that way.

-Hapa

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,457 posts
10,908 battles

Hey guys thanks for you help but I have to get the kids dinner and I'm still not finding it . I will try again tomorrow I cant tell how many times I have tried to open these replays . 

Mahalo nui .

• Cool 1

[BUNNY]
Members
69 posts
5,360 battles
3 hours ago, clammboy said:

Something that should be noted in the main post is that the game does not know how to handle whitespace for replays, so if you renamed your replay or moved it to a directory that has a space in its path the game will not be able to open it and it will take you to login.

[WOLF5]
Members
877 posts
32,561 battles
12 hours ago, clammboy said:

It usually does that if the replay that you're trying to view is not from the same patch version of the game. Since the patch just dropped this past Wednesday, if you're trying to view a replay file from before 6am EST 3/11 you won't be able to open them unless you have an alternative install of the older game client (9.1.0). 

Members
25 posts
11 battles
10 hours ago, Ravtec235 said:

if you renamed your replay or moved it to a directory that has a space in its path the game will not be able to open it and it will take you to login.

no, i can still use the replay files even after i've renamed them.

Members
25 posts
11 battles
16 hours ago, KARMAT1KA said:

At any point in the game, you can press Ctrl + Prt Sc to save a screenshot from the game to this folder

Prt Sc alone is enough afaik. Or has that been changed in the latest patch?

[WG]
119 posts
776 battles
3 hours ago, IJN_Pepega said:

Prt Sc alone is enough afaik. Or has that been changed in the latest patch?

I have always been told that it was ctrl + prt sc but I just tested the prt sc, and that works too! I've updated the post accordingly.

(Thanks for making me realize I've been pressing extra buttons this whole time.) 

• Cool 1

[BUNNY]
Members
69 posts
5,360 battles
14 hours ago, IJN_Pepega said:

no, i can still use the replay files even after i've renamed them.

And I said "if you renamed your replay or moved it to a directory that has a space in its path", renaming works fine, just no space anywhere or the game just gets stuck.

• Cool 1

[MOOBS]
Members
1 post
2,167 battles

Finally found it after Windows 10 learned how to find things

Edited by ninjamaag

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,846 posts
4,613 battles
On 3/12/2020 at 1:37 PM, KARMAT1KA said:

At any point in the game, you can press Prt Sc to save a screenshot from the game to this folder

This does not work if you have installed a program such as Lightshot that hooks the Print Screen key.  Lightshot has it's own storage location.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,846 posts
4,613 battles
On 3/12/2020 at 6:49 PM, clammboy said:

I'm still not finding it

Don't look for "Client Runner".  I have four installations on this machine and a file of that name does not exist.

Look for x:\Games\World_of_Warships\WorldOfWarships.exe.  That's the client runner.

Edited by iDuckman

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,457 posts
10,908 battles
10 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Don't look for "Client Runner".  I have four installations on this machine and that a file of that name does not exist.

Look for x:\Games\World_of_Warships\WorldOfWarships.exe.  That's the client runner.

Ok thanks @iDuckman I will try this .

[NKOTD]
Members
174 posts
3,756 battles
On 3/13/2020 at 3:37 AM, KARMAT1KA said:

As you may already be familiar, I typically host a weekly #screenshotsaturday contest on our social media pages. In turn, I’ve seen a lot of amazing screenshots that have come in from our players, but also a number of questions about how to capture these types of screenshots. Therefore, I thought it would be a great opportunity to review how to watch your game replays, take screenshots, and use hotkeys for free cams so that you all can get the perfect game capture! Because who knows when you may need to use that epic torpedo soup drop for bragging rights :cap_haloween:

How to access replays and screenshots?

Replays are automatically saved in your game folder on your computer. You will first have to find the folder on your computer where you’ve saved the game. Once you’ve found this folder you should be able to open it up and find another file labeled “Replays” which automatically saves the last 15 gameplays you’ve played. The will be in the folder labeled with the ship you played and timestamp. 

(The exception being when a new patch is released. Your replays prior to the patch will no longer be accessible.)

replays.PNG

When doing this in a battle, it won’t make any noise, there will not be any distinct notification, but it will automatically save here in the folder.

Note: This feature, unfortunately, does not work when watching replays. This is only for regular game client mode. For capturing screenshots in replays, you will still have to use the good ole’ fashioned Prt Scr button and paste it into Paint (or Photoshop if you’re fancy :cap_like:)

Once you’re watching your replays there are several hotkeys that you can use which I’ve listed below. It should be noted, that majority of these options are specifically for Free cam mode, so if you are wanting to watch the battle from a tournament-style view, you’re going to want to just start off in the free cam mode, which I’ve conveniently listed as the first shortcut!

Remove UI from screen = CTRL + J

Remove UI from port screen = Right-click and hold. You can use your scroll wheel to zoom in and out. 

7 = Camera up

9 = Camera down

1 = Camera angle forward

Exit out of free cam mode = Left mouse button

Insert = speeds up the replay  * *proceed with caution on this shortcut. If you initiate Godspeed too quickly it may cause your replay to crash.

Delete = slow down the replay

End = pause replay

Home = normal speed

Being able to freely move the camera while watching replays also provides a totally new experience for appreciating some of the game landscapes and graphics that typically get overlooked by the average person.

ss.png

I’ve also found it particularly helpful in my personal quest to “get gud” to watch replays specifically to watch how other members on my team handled being in certain situations.

I hope you all find this helpful. I invite you to use this thread to share any cool and interesting screenshots you were able to take with this method. Also please let us know if you have any additional tips that I may have missed in this guide.

torpedoes.png

See you on the high seas, Captains!

Thank you very much for this..it's True This game has  good Graphic's and landscapes o7

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

oh yeah...

BTW you likely will not be able to run your PTS replays by double clicking them.  You will probably get a critical error. I'd suggest dragging the replay file to the WorldOfWarships.exe in your World_of_Warships_PT folder.

Members
41 posts
3,434 battles

I'd like to edit my replay to shorten it. Shorten the beginning, & maybe remove some sections. Then make it playable as a regular video file.   Is there a windoze 10 program that will let me do this? 

[WG]
119 posts
776 battles
On 6/1/2020 at 10:04 AM, Pulver_the_Ensign said:

I'd like to edit my replay to shorten it. Shorten the beginning, & maybe remove some sections. Then make it playable as a regular video file.   Is there a windoze 10 program that will let me do this? 

There are a ton of programs out there that are capable of video editing. Unfortunately, I can't speak for a specific Windows programs since all of the ones I use on a regular basis are non-windows/paid video editing programs. However, I'm sure a couple of google searches, or maybe even someone in here could help you out. Alternatively, depending on what phone you have, you could even import them into your phone and edit them on there. I do this a lot for my own personal content just from the native video player on my phone. 

Hope this helps! 

Members
41 posts
3,434 battles
13 hours ago, KARMAT1KA said:

There are a ton of programs out there that are capable of video editing. Unfortunately, I can't speak for a specific Windows programs since all of the ones I use on a regular basis are non-windows/paid video editing programs. However, I'm sure a couple of google searches, or maybe even someone in here could help you out. Alternatively, depending on what phone you have, you could even import them into your phone and edit them on there. I do this a lot for my own personal content just from the native video player on my phone. 

Hope this helps! 

Thank you for the answer. I was under the impression that these replays were proprietary .wowsreplay files. Windoze says they're media player files but won't play them. 

Do I need to change the file extension to something else?  Or look for a different utility to play/edit them?

[DOG]
Members
575 posts
10,970 battles
On 3/12/2020 at 11:37 AM, KARMAT1KA said:

7 = Camera up

9 = Camera down

1 = Camera angle forward

I've kept a notepad file on keyboard keys/combinations to use for using replays, which have changed over time.  The last time they changed I had to experiment with pressing every key/combination.  Upon seeing your post I decided to try a replay of 0.9.5 and see if the controls still matched my records.  I found that the above items you specified did not work for me.

Now the "knock" on replays is that they are buggy (as you have noted about trying to speed up the replay too much).  I experienced a critical error when I pressed the comma (",") key.  The other problem is that they can only be viewed with the current software version (so keeping good game replays is fine but you can't view them once WG releases a new game version - i.e., you can currently watch a recent replay but ones before 0.9.5 release can't be). I'm sure that's one of the reasons that WG used to "clean" the replays directory.

[CDNUS]
Members
11 posts

None of this works for me.  Just says file not found etc.  One would think replays would automatically link and play with all this great tech.