Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

better/poorest ship line for a new player to start with?

30 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,325 posts
13,743 battles

What would your suggestions on ship line be for a new player?

Due to the introduction of several news lines since I've started T5 is my starting point on about half the tech tree lines. Plus I have not owned a tech tree British BB.

Personally I think the US ships are better overall to begin with but that is as a collective, not saying each class line is the best choice of that class.

Members
7,122 posts
22,678 battles

I've always thought playing DD's were the best teachers. They teach or "should" teach important detection is, when to shoot and not shoot....Torp ranges and reload times... knife fighting other dd's…..A good DD can make all of his teammates better, where a bad DD can make the best BB players and Cruisers vulnerable.

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,668 battles
36 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Due to the introduction of several news lines since I've started T5 is my starting point on about half the tech tree lines. Plus I have not owned a tech tree British BB.

Personally I think the US ships are better overall to begin with but that is as a collective, not saying each class line is the best choice of that class.

Aloha,

Just my 2 doubloons, TBH, I would start with BB's. Why? Because they are slow and more forgiving to mistakes than other classes (well except for parking facing broadside to an enemy). You have more time to learn mechanics and such.

Most other classes, if you make a mistake, you tend to end your time in the battle you're in.

But make sure you watch some youtube videos and such. They can help.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 4

[DVYJC]
Members
4,252 posts
10,884 battles
1 hour ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

I've always thought playing DD's were the best teachers. They teach or "should" teach important detection is, when to shoot and not shoot....Torp ranges and reload times... knife fighting other dd's…..A good DD can make all of his teammates better, where a bad DD can make the best BB players and Cruisers vulnerable.

DDs and CVs, I think, but both are steep learning curves. They teach well. Just steep learning curves. BBs are the most forgiving for certain, but a BB player who has played HE cruisers and destroyers will be a much better BB player than one that is a BB main only.

[_PBR_]
Members
169 posts
9,913 battles

For DD's I would say that Japanese will help you learn to torp, and Russians will be the most frustrating.

For CL's I would say that the Italians are fun and have smoke to cover a newbie's mistakes, where as the Wooster (American's) while they maybe useful end game are kinda frustrating.

For Heavy Cruisers it is hard to beat the Des Moines line for clan battles, so I would recommend suffering through the line to the top of that.  The hardest line for heavy cruisers would be British- imho they are just garbage.

For BB's the US line is pretty easy, as is the French, but the French don't see as much play in clan battles (which is mostly German and US).  The US are painfully slow in speed, but have nice accuracy over distance.  The German's shoot like a shotgun until the GK, and you will want to get in close to brawl with their secondaries which is just not a feasible mechanic in this meta (you will get destroyed before you ever get close enough to brawl early game as everyone will focus you for farming damage.)  I don't have all of the BBs yet so can't really tell you which is the hardest to grind up the line.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,589 posts
17,785 battles

German Battleships. 

Fun flexible and forgiving.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,477 posts
18,460 battles

1) Do not start with British or Italian cruisers; their lack of HE ammo and DOT at maximum range can be crippling for a new player trying to get damage done, ships sunk and XP/credits in the bank. Sure you get HE with the British heavies, and things get so much better with Leander and Fiji after Emerald, but you have to go through three tiers without it first.  

2) Do not start with smokeless destroyers (French, Euro) or Pan-Asian destroyers; the differences in their play style are for more experienced DD players to handle. Get a couple of other lines up to at least T5 first. 

3) Do not neglect carriers. They make some directive missions very easy, and knowing how to play them is part of knowing how to beat them. 

The cruiser line I've had the most fun with at low tier so far is the French, the BB line the Americans (they are slow but they will teach you much, and I had a great time in everything except the Wyoming) with honourable mention to the Japanese (whose Tier 3 battleship, alas, is a cross the player has to bear).

If you have the endurance for it, the Leander and especially the Fiji reward the determined player who can push on through the hard slog that is the Emerald.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[DDCO]
[DDCO]
Members
135 posts
16,386 battles

I find german CL's are a good line for learning curve success. they are nimble, have good gun's, decent torp's at low to mid tier, and armor is good at brawling and learning how to angle against heavier ship's.

BB is the USN/German line's. very straight foward play style's and very good at fundamental's.

DD's  that's a tough one, IJN,USN are good line's for specific type of DD play. find the best way you like to play then experiment. Learn the mechanic's then try to branch out.

My 2 cent's

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,321 posts
30,384 battles

I would absolutely NOT suggest that a new player start with the PA DD line, because I think that in their inexperience, they'll overlook the fact that their torpedoes are DWT's and can't hit other DDs.  Many a time have I seen lowish tier PA DD players firing their torpedoes at other DDs when they obviously cannot hit those DDs.

It seems to me that DWTs are a more advanced concept within WoWS that newbies should avoid until they've gained more experience in the game.

[FML]
Members
4,185 posts
16,175 battles
5 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I think the easiest type/nation combinations are below, they should be simple to play and fairly strong at low tier as new players are still learning the game: 

1) USN DDs

2) French cruisers

3) British BBs - cos HE spam works

4) British CVs. 

Lines to definitely stay away from are UK CLs  

[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,122 battles

I like to suggest USN DD, IJN cruisers, and USN battleships as introductions to each ship class.  They're all pretty run-of-the-mill play for each shiptype without being overly complicated or requiring nuance to play, and good for picking up the basics of playing each class.

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles
3 hours ago, paradat said:

German Battleships. 

Fun flexible and forgiving.

This^^^. Cant go wrong with the German Cruisers and DDs either, all the lines are good.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,317 posts
4,773 battles
5 hours ago, kgh52 said:

USN cruisers initially.  Give the boy the fun of St. Louis.  Then maybe move to BB?  I also agree that DD should be mixed in early.  Maybe spend some time playing DD exclusively around the time he's ready to move to PhoenixSt. Louis is not a good trainer for CLs.

Above T4 the ship characteristics change and a good newbie line may not be the best line to pursue.  But the newb should have info by then about what he likes.

Re: Brit BBs, I don't much like them.  How you doing with French BBs?

[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,122 battles
17 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

This^^^. Cant go wrong with the German Cruisers and DDs either, all the lines are good.

Honestly, I feel like new players starting with German BB learn bad habits from them.  You need to learn that doing certain things in a battleship will get you dunked on, and German BB keep you from getting punished for making fundamental mistakes like you would in a US or IJN battleship, like showing a broadside or just not caring about having to angle.

Edited by Deviathan

[TDRB]
Members
5,325 posts
13,743 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

USN cruisers initially.  Give the boy the fun of St. Louis.  Then maybe move to BB?  I also agree that DD should be mixed in early.  Maybe spend some time playing DD exclusively around the time he's ready to move to PhoenixSt. Louis is not a good trainer for CLs.

Above T4 the ship characteristics change and a good newbie line may not be the best line to pursue.  But the newb should have info by then about what he likes.

Re: Brit BBs, I don't much like them.  How you doing with French BBs?

I started the French BB line with the T5 Bretagne. At T5 a player should be above the beginner stage. I do realize spending $$$ can get a new player well above T5 long before they are ready.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,965 posts
26,039 battles

Ship Lines to learn about the game?  Or just derp?

Non-DD Gunboat Lines such as IJN, USN, RN, etc. that depend on torpedoes and stealth force one to learn about Stealth / Concealment / Detection mechanics.  For PVP, learning how DDs play, what they look for, what they do, etc. was like a veil being lifted.  They don't have to go to Tier X, but I'd say at the very least get to Tier VIII and spend time in all 3 parts of the game as a DD (Tiers IV and below for Low Tiers;  Mid Tiers V-VII;  High Tiers VIII-X).  Those 3 brackets in Randoms change in gameplay considerably.  You'll also learn to appreciate those guys that keep making it higher in the tiers as a DD and are still competent in that capacity.

Cruisers?  Any of the Non-Smoke capable Cruisers.  Up and coming Cruiser players have to learn about position:  In relation to how far you are, your angle, maneuvering, etc. to the enemy.  If you don't do that, you die quickly. 

Of significant note are Radar Cruisers, of which USN Cruisers I recommend.  They force learning how Radar comes into play in supporting the team.  Cap contesting, deny areas of the map, rooting out stealthed / smoked targets.

Battleships teach bad habits in survival because of how forgiving they are.  I'd say they need to be done later.  The one thing that needs to be learned with them is finding a right balance in effective engagement ranges.  Far enough that you're not easy torpedo bait and getting focused down by 5 ships.  Close enough that your gunnery is reasonably effective where the BB can  still hit reliably.  Close enough to lend your staying power, firepower to help the caps.  All this is stuff that many BB players never learn.  They tend to gravitate into either being too close and get rekt, or too far and being useless.  It's actually a fine line between.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,317 posts
4,773 battles
3 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I started the French BB line with the T5 Bretagne

V Bretagne is okay.  VI Normandie is much better and good in Ops.  VII Lyon, the Gallic Blunderbuss, is quite entertaining.  With VIII Richelieu, you enter the "this thing is a monster" segment of the line...

• Funny 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,325 posts
13,743 battles

Battleships teach bad habits in survival because of how forgiving they are.  I'd say they need to be done later.

I can't argue against your point but the reality is battleships have this certain aura that draws people to them. We have those that believe a BB would be a asset to a modern navy.

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
5 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Just my 2 doubloons, TBH, I would start with BB's. Why? Because they are slow and more forgiving to mistakes than other classes (well except for parking facing broadside to an enemy). You have more time to learn mechanics and such.

Most other classes, if you make a mistake, you tend to end your time in the battle you're in.

But make sure you watch some youtube videos and such. They can help.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

I totally agree that Battleships are the best ships for new players and have recommended as such. With Japanese and German being the best for learning, at least when I started playing in early 2017 anyway. German BBs are so difficult to citadel, have secondary guns to help when a new player has found themselves in close quarters with the enemy, and the AA is reasonable enough to provide some defense. Japanese BBs are good transition into how a general BB will be, while still often providing some secondary and AA defense. USN BBs are also good, but certain ones can be less forgiving for brand new player.

Next ship Class I recommend are Destroyers. They teach lessons in stealth, speed, torpedoes, and rapid fire guns without having citadels to worry about which is good thing for players that have learned some general aspects of gameplay from the BBs and are ready to expand. American and Japanese torpedo boat destroyers are both good for learning with. Although you will have to reassure a new player that the IJN torpedo boat DDs are not all as bad as Mutsuki, that is the one drawback to players learning that very instructive line is the Mutsuki. But once they get to Fukui and up they can do alright. And the American DDs are great general purpose DDs as they still are like the Swiss Army Knife of DDs.

Then using the lessons learned from both BBs and DDs players can then move to cruisers which were the hardest ships for me to master because they are on average situated between BBs and DDs so they can be a little tricky. Japanese Cruisers are the ones I recommend as a player’s first cruiser line to work up to at least tier 8 as they have good all around characteristics, they have torpedoes which can get a new player out of a tight spot if they learned DDs well, they are stealthy, and often can take a hit better than some other nation’s CAs.

Then finally players can try branching out into some of the other gunboat DDs and the Light Cruiser lines.

[TDRB]
Members
5,325 posts
13,743 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

V Bretagne is okay.  VI Normandie is much better and good in Ops.  VII Lyon, the Gallic Blunderbuss, is quite entertaining.  With VIII Richelieu, you enter the "this thing is a monster" segment of the line...

I have the JB and the Dunkerque as well as the Richelieu. Of the 3 the JB is the only one I enjoy playing.

[TDRB]
Members
5,325 posts
13,743 battles

Ship Lines to learn about the game?  Or just derp?

A new player needs to enjoy the game as well as learn the basics. One without the other does not produce a happy long term player.

[USN]
Members
1,640 posts
21,132 battles
6 hours ago, kgh52 said:

BBs are generally the most forgiving, as they are the only class that can't be deleted in one salvo, with some exceptions like Peter the Great, Yamato, and Conqueror

Cruiser wise, I would not start with British light cruisers and US cruisers past St. Louis. After St louis, US cruisers become incredibly fragile and require great positioning and awareness to be made effective. British lights for the same reason, but slightly more forgiving due to their smoke.

Staying with cruisers, I'd start a new player with either the Japanese, British heavies, or French Cruisers. These lines are generally open water kiters and can teach the basics of angling and positioning for cruisers quite well, and are fairly forgiving of mistakes (save maybe Albemarle and Hawkins because loltastic citadel size)

I would not recommend DDs to new players either. They are the hardest class to learn, and the hardest to master. However, a good DD player is rare, but a team with good DD players will win 99/100 matches against a team with potato DDs. 

Members
247 posts

OK  I'm going to respectfully disagree with people that suggest BBs the issue with BBs are especially early on is their speed if you get your map positioning wrong there often is no way to recover, you will spend the game trying to recover or.... getting yourself more and more lost with the added joy that even at the lower tiers you will get abuse for simply being inexperienced.

Other than a handful of BBs you don't get access to torps and none of the BBs you do are recommended for new players, also the slow firing rate means that you gain aiming experience at a slower rate.

Given the above I would suggest either the German or IJN Cruiser line they will teach you use of torps and both HE and AP shells correct angling, learning how to play maps both pushing and defending, fighting against the other main classes(fighting a DD in a BB isn't much fun)yes they are more unforgiving of mistakes but you will come out of playing them a much more rounded player you will learn pretty much all the concepts for playing either DDs or BBs going forward.

As others have said I would avoid RN light Cruisers, also the RM ones you could try the French ones although their speed is likely going to be a drawback and not a strength until you have another line under your belt. I also wouldn't recommend either USN line as but for a couple of their lower tiers and premium ships they don't use torps and their shell arcs are harder to play with

Edited by Bluemoon51

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,589 posts
17,785 battles

So earlier in the post I recommended German BB's I still stand by that. Having said that the more complete answer is to pick a line from each ship type and play them all. So pick  Battleship, Cruiser, Destroyer and Carrier lines. You will have a much better experience and will learn the game much quicker. 

Sign in to follow this