You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Graf_Uta

Where am i supposed to learn how to play this game

26 comments in this topic

[MINF]
Members
6 posts
1,569 battles

So i spent probably too much time at t8 trying to figure out how the game works. ive found more success as a moved down the tiers. T6 is alright, but the further down you go... the worse carriers are to deal with. going below t6 im getting 3 carriers on each team? With ships with almost no AA? I got dropped by three squadrons of torpedo bombers and just instantly died. How the hell am i supposed to learn anything.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[ICBM]
Members
572 posts
7,510 battles

Yeah. T4-5 used to be great places to learn the game but with all the carrier saturation, you get some really sucky games. T8, as you have no doubt realized, is no piece of cake because you get uptiered so much. For skilled players its not so bad, but if you are new, you can really get lambasted in a hurry. 

I will say they are talking about limiting the number of CVs per game, so soo, t4-6 may be more gentle.  Even with the CVs, T4-6 is probably better.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,082 posts
7,217 battles

T5-6 is probably best.

In some T5 games, you're going to get 3 CVs, (though that will teach you to maneuver to mitigate, and not make you dependent on AA to save you, and hopefully teach you that sitting still attracts planes like flies to crap lol) and in some T6 games, you're going to be dealing with T8 ships, where radar is a given, and they get much better rudder shift, concealment, or better torpedo spotting, due to the extra upgrade slot.

T4, you'll get a lot more 3 CV games, and T7, you'll get a lot more games against T8 ships, as well as T9 ships, who have yet another additional upgrade slot.

[-KIA-]
Members
865 posts
4,943 battles
13 minutes ago, Graf_Uta said:

So i spent probably too much time at t8 trying to figure out how the game works. ive found more success as a moved down the tiers. T6 is alright, but the further down you go... the worse carriers are to deal with. going below t6 im getting 3 carriers on each team? With ships with almost no AA? I got dropped by three squadrons of torpedo bombers and just instantly died. How the hell am i supposed to learn anything.

Send your replays to @Lord_Zath and @Destroyer_KuroshioKai. They do replay analysis for players.

[TBW]
Members
9,535 posts
16,255 battles

OJT, On the job training, is pretty much the norm. You can glean what you can from YouTube videos but it's pretty much learn by failure. Penetration mechanics, as well as fire and flooding mechanics are pretty much top priority after aiming and learning what shells to use and when. The differences in Nations as well as ship type and even each ship are something you kind of have to learn by using them. The weirdest thing is, if you like Battleships that you should play the other ship types to get good at them. That of course applies to any type of ship that you like. It's good to get to know how to play them all because you learn how to counter them.

Have fun most of all, this game can get frustrating at times, don't get to over involved in your stats. If you do care about stats, I suggest starting a new player when you get better at playing.

I suppose today isn't a good day for me to start playing CVs.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

[--K--]
Members
974 posts
8,984 battles

Take note of what you don't understand happening. Ask about it here or find YouTube videos covering the subject. WG has always been poor at training you how their games work. 

[YORHA]
Members
4,763 posts
9,349 battles

Here...

[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,802 posts
19,520 battles
1 hour ago, Leopard_IX said:

Send your replays to @Lord_Zath and @Destroyer_KuroshioKai. They do replay analysis for players.

o/

[O_O]
Members
6,131 posts
14,083 battles
1 hour ago, Graf_Uta said:

T6 is alright, but the further down you go... the worse carriers are to deal with. going below t6 im getting 3 carriers on each team? With ships with almost no AA? I got dropped by three squadrons of torpedo bombers and just instantly died. How the hell am i supposed to learn anything.

Yet another new player who is having a hard time with the learning curve, and carriers are a main cause.

I'm not a carrier hater.  On the contrary, I actually enjoy the added element attacking aircraft add to the battle.

But, two or more carriers per team is not doing this game any favors.  I have held off making my decision since the CV rework until very recently, and in my opinion multiple CV's per game needs to stop.  And at low tiers, where new players are trying out this game and trying to figure things out, there are nearly ALWAYS multiple carriers per game.  I think it is crushing the game's ability to keep new players.

Please, WG, consider limiting CV's to one per team.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

WoWS Community Contributors
3,326 posts
13,090 battles
18 hours ago, Leopard_IX said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, been busy IRL at work limiting my presence here.

18 hours ago, Graf_Uta said:

Send me a replay.  I might be able to help you.

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,092 posts
5,048 battles

It might be better to not advance to the higher tiers until you have a handle on the gameplay. Well maybe a better understanding of how to play:Smile_hiding: "a handle" is a bit more envolved. There are layers upon layers of knowledge to this game that are often not spelled out.

You could move down tiers and play there until you start to get decent team placment in the final team score. But with the random matchmaking that may seen a bit erratic. Each tier adds features and performance to the ships that complicates things. Also while CoOp does not play the same way as random the bots are more predictable (and usually more aggressive) so you can get aiming and postioning practice.

You did not say what ship types you are playing. But here is a great place to get info and video  viewing recomendations.

KuroshioKai is a DD master with great teaching style.

[HOT]
[HOT]
Members
562 posts
15,688 battles

By playing the game like the rest of us.

Otherwise youtube and twitch.tv streams or get in a clan willing to teach people.

[_-_]
Members
3,145 posts
8,205 battles
22 hours ago, Graf_Uta said:

How the hell am i supposed to learn anything.

You are learning something. You are learning that the success of the CV Rework according to the Almighty Spreadsheet is more important than your game experience. Welcome to World of Warships! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MINF]
Members
6 posts
1,569 battles
7 hours ago, MackDye said:

By playing the game like the rest of us.

Otherwise youtube and twitch.tv streams or get in a clan willing to teach people.

where are these clans. the clan finder is not very helpful in finding an active clan.

Members
370 posts
3,665 battles

Holy heck. You started at Tier 8? Tier 8 scared the begeebus out of me. Only getting my feet wet at Tier 7 right now, 5 months after starting out.

• Cool 2

[O-PN]
Members
2,571 posts
5,614 battles
On 3/10/2020 at 5:04 PM, Graf_Uta said:

Tiers 7 and 9 have statistically less CVs....

[FML]
Members
3,563 posts
14,462 battles
On 3/11/2020 at 8:04 AM, Graf_Uta said:

I understand your pain. 

Still, there are ship lines that are easier to grind than others as a new player - I have copied some information below.  Also included are some links to useful resources that might help you build your capability, so you can get back to T8 sooner.  

Also, if I'm online at the same time, I would be happy to division up with you - just send me a message in game. 

Good luck!

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Light Cruiser line (ending in Minotaur) - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  However, as a general principle Royal Navy carriers are easier to play but less impactful on the battle - seek out enemy ships that have just used DCP in order to set lots of fires that stick.  Japanese carriers do far more direct damage with their AP bombs and heavier torpedo plane squadrons, but they are harder to play and you need to understand AP bomb pen mechanics and search for citadels.  USN carriers are somewhere in between - see @iChase 's video guide to get a grasp of the basics.  

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

#StandardWords

[SQUAD]
Members
2,063 posts
11,843 battles

Why be different?  Not many bother to learn how to play, so just go with the flow...

Of course this is one of the issues I have with WoWS, that there is no system in place to force users to prove out skill sets before advancing. And before this there is no system to train captains.

Your best best are YouTube videos... lots of them... but go for the older training vids to get the techniques of captaining different ship types.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,082 posts
7,217 battles
9 hours ago, Graf_Uta said:

where are these clans. the clan finder is not very helpful in finding an active clan.

Back out of General Discussion here in the forum, and go to the Clan section.

That way you can see the various clans that have open spots, and see if they're a "teaching" clan, or you can start a thread looking for one.

[TDRB]
Members
4,238 posts
12,234 battles
On 3/10/2020 at 4:04 PM, Graf_Uta said:

T8 is a poor place to learn. The service cost takes a leap at T8, while much better since MM change a few months back, your still up tiered a lot. WG should give lower tiers AA or drop T4 CV's from the game IMO.

Ops uses many of the same skills as PVP. While AI can't replace facing other players in battle, ops require team play, using tactics and positing your ship correctly, all necessary skills in PVP. You also have more targets to engage to improve your gunnery. Ops is a good place to learn.

[PVE]
Members
10,981 posts
20,832 battles

You made a classic mistake. You thought you could buy your way to high tiers and learn there. Doesn't work that way in this game. You need to drop back down to lower tiers and slow up and play your way up the tech tree. You learn as you go. You only have 680 Co-op games and 190 Randoms. You don't even have 1K games played in total yet so you shouldn't be anywhere near playing a T8 ship yet. Drop back down to T3-T5 and play there for a while and learn. CV's will be present at every tier so may as well get used to them.

I am no great player (bad stats) so take my advice for what it is worth to you. I will say the best advice I got from the guy who introduced me to the game (and he was VERY good) was not to rush through the game. Grind the tiers and do so with each ship class which teaches you how to play them and also how to play against them. He also was a staunch advocate of NOT buying your way to higher tiers via Premium ships you were not equipped skill/experience wise to play. IF you want a Premium buy one that is within the range of tiers you normally see in your tech ships.

I have close to 19K Co-op games and thousands in T10 yet I only have 170 in Randoms and don't go past T6 when I rarely play it. I don't have the skills to play Randoms above T6 and frankly where I excel is T4/T5. If I were you I would drop back down, shelve the high tier premiums and slowly work up the tech tree. THAT is how you learn IMO.

Also, watch a lot of replays from good players like Flambass, Mr Gibbins, etc... and watch how they do things. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[S-N-D]
Members
3,268 posts
7,658 battles

You learn in the same place everyone else did, right in the thick of combat. CVs and instant death have been here since the beginning and others managed. 

Unfortunately there are limited amounts of players at any given time to create a game with and 1 CV per game isn't always feasible.

Edited by _Caliph_

Members
2,455 posts
2,740 battles

You learn the game as any other skill in life.

1- Theory. There's a lot of info to learn and digest. Here in the forum, on YouTube, game wiki, etc. Get to know your ships stats and the main qualities of the ships you may encounter on your tier spreaad.

2- Basic practice. Get the hang of your ship in COOP. Learn how to shoot, to angle, dodge torps, avoid planes, navigation, etc. There's the place to learn the basics. Once you have mastered how to control your ship, go the next step.

3- Real fire training. Apply the theory and skills previously aquiered in Random. As many have said t4-t6 is the best place to learn. Pick a cruiser and focus on supporting your team mates, observe the flow of the game and make yourself useful. In time you'll "get it" and you could safely move from being support to beinga playmaker

Members
2,571 posts
4,517 battles

Tier VII-VIII is also a steep learning curve because A) prevalence of uptiered games, B) the gap between Tier VIII ships that have upgrade slot 5 and therefore can equip Concealment Systems Modification 1 and Tier VII ships that cannot, and C) The new appearance of radar as a common consumable on cruisers and some destroyers- few Tier VII ships have it, many Tier VIII+ ones do.

[NSEW]
Members
1,676 posts
10,215 battles

There are lots of good suggestions by the forumites. However, I will share my experience when I started this game years ago.

I've gotten used to the game UI. Almost to the point where it was instinctive.  i.e. where the map is located, which circle is the detection metre, etc.

Then I've trawled the this forum to look for any and all hints & tips.  Usually the most useful ones tend to repeat themselves over and over in separate posts.  Oh, and I've learned to completely disregard the so called troll posts, and my johnson is bigger than yours dialogues; it was just too distracting for my intent.

After having done enough reading for the day/session.  I do a quick search on the search engine.  Look for stuff on Youtube, 3rd party websites, even watching some streamers on Twitch.  

Go back to the game at some point, and try to make use of the information gathered into the game play.

Got devastated.  There's no cure for that though.