Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TaxDollarsAtWork

Question about the Venezia

16 comments in this topic

Members
44 posts
1,429 battles

Not sure where to ask it but here goes,

The last 3 ships in the Italian tree are paper but so far I've only found pictures of what the Amalfi and Brindis are based on. If anyone would be so kind as to show me the ones for the Venezia that would be fantastic

https://stefsap.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/crucero-ansaldo-12152.jpg

https://stefsap.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/crucero-ansaldo-9203.jpg

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,521 posts
18,559 battles
56 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

If anyone would be so kind as to show me the ones for the Venezia that would be fantastic

Venezia is based, loosely, on a pepperoni outline of a ship someone in Leningrad saw on a pizza they ordered and thought was "cool". The hull was pure pepperoni, the smoke stacks olives, while tomatoes and green peppers made up the superstructure and gun turrets. The anchors, scout planes, and torpedo tubes were solid anchovy. As they say in Leningrad, "THAT WAS ONE SPICY, DEEP DISH CRUISER!"

[WOLFO]
Members
445 posts
3,687 battles

RIP lol, I kind of like them, but they do go pop real easy. :(

It will be my way to T8 boats....

Members
44 posts
1,429 battles

So you're saying the ship is more imaginative and took significantly more creative liberties than being based of a straight schematic with minor changes?

[UFFA]
Members
2,068 posts
75 battles
22 hours ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

Not sure where to ask it but here goes,

The last 3 ships in the Italian tree are paper but so far I've only found pictures of what the Amalfi and Brindis are based on. If anyone would be so kind as to show me the ones for the Venezia that would be fantastic

https://stefsap.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/crucero-ansaldo-12152.jpg

https://stefsap.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/crucero-ansaldo-9203.jpg

Only one ship is based on paper. The other is a supersize of a project. Venezia is a complete fabrication to justify the SAP gimmick. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
400 posts
8,472 battles

Got about 20 game in her now. She is one "spicy meatball." I really love her. The 15 203 mm SAP rounds are just insane and the AP is bad either. She is fast and can turn pretty well. I think she can defeat about any CA at range but get close to anybody with a decent rate of fire and you will go down. Really the best thing about the Tier 8,9 and 10 Italian CAs is they work just fine with a 10 point captain. Can't be said of many lines.  Really good AA as well.  Note, you do not need any aiming mods-the guns are laser beams and plenty of accurate at all ranges. Take other mods such as turret speed. 

• Cool 1

Members
44 posts
1,429 battles
On 3/10/2020 at 6:29 AM, Sparviero said:

Only one ship is based on paper. The other is a supersize of a project. Venezia is a complete fabrication to justify the SAP gimmick. 

Ok that clears it up and answers my questions thank you.

17 hours ago, handybilly said:

Got about 20 game in her now. She is one "spicy meatball." I really love her. The 15 203 mm SAP rounds are just insane and the AP is bad either. She is fast and can turn pretty well. I think she can defeat about any CA at range but get close to anybody with a decent rate of fire and you will go down. Really the best thing about the Tier 8,9 and 10 Italian CAs is they work just fine with a 10 point captain. Can't be said of many lines.  Really good AA as well.  Note, you do not need any aiming mods-the guns are laser beams and plenty of accurate at all ranges. Take other mods such as turret speed. 

While this is good to know, it doesn't relate to much to my original question but I simply am not looking forward to any of the last 3 italian ships in the line, them being paper aside which is a big turn off, the Amalfi has been rather boring and left a generally bad taste in my mouth even after I had fully upgraded it for me the most fun ships in the line will be the most Iconic of the RM cruisers the Trento and Zara class, especially the Zara

Members
0 posts
On 3/10/2020 at 3:29 AM, Sparviero said:

Which one are you saying is "based on paper": Brindisi or Amalfi?  

[UFFA]
Members
2,068 posts
75 battles
1 hour ago, Ciryandil said:

Which one are you saying is "based on paper": Brindisi or Amalfi?  

Post #1671 by @Phoenix_jz

As @CrescentSky said, Amalfi is one of the Spanish cruisers, specifically IX-203. 

Brindisi isn't real - it's, as mentioned before, WG taking XII-152 and enlarging it to for the 203mm triples. 

Members
0 posts
16 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Post #1671 by @Phoenix_jz

Okay....so IX-203 (Amalfi)) was an Italian design submitted to the Spanish?  Or was it a wholly Spanish design? 

And what of Venezia?  Is she an authentic Italian naval design, or one of WG's inventions?

[UFFA]
Members
2,068 posts
75 battles
50 minutes ago, Ciryandil said:

Okay....so IX-203 (Amalfi)) was an Italian design submitted to the Spanish?  Or was it a wholly Spanish design? 

And what of Venezia?  Is she an authentic Italian naval design, or one of WG's inventions?

It's an export version of an in house Ansaldo design. There were things that seem tailored for the Spanish such as main gun elevation angles. I know on the EU forums someone referenced the Italian design having a thicker deck armor. I've never seen any documentation on how the designs evolved with lessons learned so I'm not sure.

Venezia is probably some interpretation of a mid 30s export plan given to to the USSR. Some features seem more driven by the art department than anything else.

Members
0 posts
33 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

It's an export version of an in house Ansaldo design. There were things that seem tailored for the Spanish such as main gun elevation angles. I know on the EU forums someone referenced the Italian design having a thicker deck armor. I've never seen any documentation on how the designs evolved with lessons learned so I'm not sure.

Venezia is probably some interpretation of a mid 30s export plan given to to the USSR. Some features seem more driven by the art department than anything else.

Thanks for the clarification.  :cat_cool:

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,763 posts
2,137 battles

I have a sneaking suspicion, based on the tonnage and shp output, that 'Venezia' is a radically re-worked version of one of the 3x3 254mm cruiser designs sold to the VMF by Ansaldo in 1936, but I've no way to prove that. Still fake as hell, a 5x3 203mm armament was never going to happen, but the hull may at least have a basis in reality.

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
Members
2,068 posts
75 battles
10 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

I have a sneaking suspicion, based on the tonnage and shp output, that 'Venezia' is a radically re-worked version of one of the 3x3 254mm cruiser designs sold to the VMF by Ansaldo in 1936, but I've no way to prove that. Still fake as hell, a 5x3 203mm armament was never going to happen, but the hull may at least have a basis in reality.

I mean it does a good job of suggesting an RM ship minus the main battery layout. Just don't look to hard because you start asking wth. :Smile-_tongue:

[ARCO]
Members
813 posts
1,276 battles

Amalfi and Brindisi were Ansaldo projects for the Spanish Navy, there are some drawings. Venezia I understood is pure fantasy.

Edited by Patosentado

Sign in to follow this