Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bortt

Ranked Help

17 comments in this topic

[Y0L0W]
Members
579 posts
18,811 battles

I can’t seem to figure this out. I’ve been at the same rank for several days now. Once in a while I get a team that seems to know what to do. Other times common sense is completely lacking. Yet, there’s plenty of people progressing through the ranks. How do people make it through with sub 50% win rates? Sometimes I’m seeing win rates sub 35%. Am I missing some kind of strategy here?

[WORX]
Members
11,964 posts
19,495 battles

Yeah dont pay attention to WR% or any stats in particular... Instead, play BB and play with the rank rules to your favor.....

If you end up with "those teams" at least in a BB you have a shot of saving the star...

• Unless you're in a DD heavy match...

IMO, BBs and heavy cruisers are making a king's ransom in Ranked... While CLs and torp DDs are dependent on teams and MM...

BBs and heavy cruisers, not so much...

Members
505 posts
6,641 battles

In my experience, rule 1 of ranked is do not die.  Also, your spidey scenses, you need to dial them up to 42.  

Rule 2 is if your team plays as if the map is 2 grid squares smaller on all sites, you have a better chance of winning.

edit - and no, I am not saying a BB should go camp the A line.

Edited by Squib_Surefire

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,313 battles

Maybe you're looking at this wrong; the common denominator in all these losses seems to be ..... YOU! Maybe you should work on that!

• Boring 3

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
2 hours ago, Bortt said:

I can’t seem to figure this out. I’ve been at the same rank for several days now. Once in a while I get a team that seems to know what to do. Other times common sense is completely lacking. Yet, there’s plenty of people progressing through the ranks. How do people make it through with sub 50% win rates? Sometimes I’m seeing win rates sub 35%. Am I missing some kind of strategy here?

I'm seeing same thing. I have no idea because I can get top 3-4 vast majority of matches and top 2 often enough in anything from republic and conqueror to Stalingrad and des moines to shimakazi and I just can't win reliably.  Might win 2 and then lose 3. Might win 3 and then lose 2. It's a crapshoot and it's getting boring.

Edited by thebigblue

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,429 battles
2 hours ago, Bortt said:

GET A kHABAROVSK.

image.thumb.png.7010a09438524660e3552c3e33182cec.png

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,429 battles

Seriously though, stop sweating it. Just go in and do your thing. Try to learn from every game, and understand the value of moving on from the games you just couldn't control. You'll get to whatever rank you get to, and that will be that. There is NO OTHER APPROACH. Just have fun with it and use it as an opportunity to improve.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,429 battles

I also find Gordon Lightfoot helps.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,822 posts
8,067 battles
43 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

I'm seeing same thing. I have no idea because I can get top 3-4 vast majority of matches and top 2 often enough in anything from republic and conqueror to Stalingrad and des moines to shimakazi and I just can't win reliably.  Might win 2 and then lose 3. Might win 3 and then lose 2. It's a crapshoot and it's getting boring.

Once you get to 2nd league it gets better. Unless it's weekend.

3rd league you just have to not die and butcher people relentlessly so you save your star if you have a team who throws harder than the enemy does.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,734 battles

@BorttPlay a DD.... you probably wont save a star BUT you will have far more control over your win rate. I am playing Shim and seeing lots of Shimas. Radar botes are not always common and with the heals, radar is less effective than it might be. Aggressive DD play -- getting into the center early and spotting and hitting 5-7 torps, finishing damaged ships and holding the BBs away is really good for the win rate. Spotting early means early kills for your team. 

One important move is to always hit ESC when there is a CV. My last three losses occurred when my team got the moron 40% CV and the other team got an aggressive and competent CV player, meaning that the game was lost when the CV loaded in. You have far more control over your WR if you avoid CVs.

Edited by Taichunger

Members
10,747 posts
18,476 battles
3 hours ago, Bortt said:

image.png.f1af3243ef8201656b178a594bdd58ea.png

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,851 posts
17,431 battles

Don't feel bad man. I can't stay out of rank 12. I think I'm going to spend this entire season at rank 12 with no stars. I've never had this much trouble but looks like going to be this entire season this time.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,429 battles
38 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Don't feel bad man. I can't stay out of rank 12. I think I'm going to spend this entire season at rank 12 with no stars. I've never had this much trouble but looks like going to be this entire season this time.

And staying at a certain rank isn't a problem if you're having fun and evolving as a player.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself in any one ranked season. They come and go, and you continue to improve as they pass.This season, finish at rank 11. Next will bring a rank 10 finish. Beyond that, an 8, then a 10 again, then a 7. No single season is a marker of your success as a player: you ALONE decide how well you've done based on your entire body of work.

Edited by legozer

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,429 battles

@Capt_Ahab1776 you always have a great outlook on this game. New players can learn a lot from players like you; arguably more than they could from unicums.

[HADOM]
Members
11 posts
25,540 battles

Hardcore DD Driver...Shima,Daring,Kleber

Star saver advice

May you bring your big potato in game and wait 40 km away behind a rock trying to save your prescious star...but for me you just planning an epic fail.

Trying to save your star mean you wil not in the action at all and dont plan to win...and that's a waste of secondary support.

Climb to rank 5 and drop fast asap with this kind of play, dont become frustrate about losing a star, but i did for my poor teamate 

Ranked rely on a minimal teamwork and strategie to success, 

Members
6,900 posts
21,408 battles
7 hours ago, Bortt said:

My biggest and constant fail is playing to win and help the team. I literally can't count how many times I have provided the opportunity for someone else to get more XP than me. 

You have to remember that you are playing against 13 other people.  I had a buddy several seasons ago rank out with a 47% wr. Yes he played a lot of games, and saved numerous stars but he did rank out.

It's awesome when players play as a team but it's rare. Keep track of what players do during matches and then see how they ended up on the XP board. Many times the least helpful player is on top from sniping and camping, not risking his ship and picking up valuable XP during the late stages of the game. It's a lot easier to die against 7 players than it is if they only have three remaining. I just wish I could remember my own advice half of the time.

Sign in to follow this