Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cronics

Do the Montana need a buff

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
501 posts
3,962 battles

It seems like the Montana is a little lacking compared to all the new battleships that has came out or so it seems to me. Due to the power creep she seems to have fallen behind. I do not know how big of a buff she needs if she needs any and what kind of buff would be best suited for her.  I feel like she needs a little bit of help. 

There are multiple different blueprints of Montana with different armor thickness. Maybe it's something worth looking into?

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,849 posts
17,429 battles

Monty is not a brawler. It's like the anti brawler. It's sweet spot is at range artillery duels with the 12 X 16" high velocity heavy AP. She's got good sigma and can punish broadside BB's, brutalize camping CA/CL's, and snipe capping DD's if they aren't careful. Good AA. 

She's more of a Marquess of Queensberry Rules boxer, not a MMA brawler.

[RANGR]
Members
365 posts
4,232 battles

Dont really think she needs a buff, the Americans niche is jack of all trades.

[STAR]
Members
564 posts
21,128 battles

I guess OP point is there are ships that are both more accurate and with bigger guns at tier X, Ohio, Kremlin and Thunderer are examples of that.

But thats not the issue only for Montana... all tier X BBs with 16 inch guns are falling behind + with the armor buffs some high tier cruisers will receive there will be even less plating 16 inch guns will overmatch. Conqueror get away with it with the most broken HE salvo in the game and Bourgogne even though has 15 inch weapons can become a deadly machine with reload booster. And GK struggles the most, relying on potato players and RNG (she got an accuracy buff some months ago that made her playable)

Maybe give Montana one of the traits Ohio has... like 76mm AA guns or Ohio accuracy?

There are also the most unlikely ones since they are limited for USN premium BBs like shorter cooldown on repair party or powerfull secondaries?

Edit: I have both Montana-class BBs in the game and i dont see the point to play with Montana when i got Ohio.

Edited by Cpt_JM_Nascimento
additional info
  • Cool 1

[LEGIO]
Members
3,480 posts
8,289 battles

Yeah she needs a buff. In exchange the speed could be reduced to the planned 28 knots. Although I don't feel guilty about the current 30 knot speed considering that the Kremlin somehow fits a 280,000 hp powerplant, the massive Kurfurst somehow does 30 knots on only 167,600 hp, and the Conqueror somehow maintains the same max speed as Lion despite only a 5,650 hp increase.

• Funny 1

[KSC]
Members
840 posts
11,429 battles

Montana recently received a buff.  I think her heal was bumped up about 10-20% or so?

With the additional of the +consumable duration module, I'd assume they'll wait/observe before moving more levers.

• Cool 1

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

She's got good sigma

Noob question.  I saw the sigma values for the new Russian Cruiser line.  The smaller the number, the better, or the other way around?

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
3 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

Noob question.  I saw the sigma values for the new Russian Cruiser line.  The smaller the number, the better, or the other way around?

Higher number, the better. I believe.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,849 posts
17,429 battles
6 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

I'm not a math guru but I believe the smaller the number the closer to the mean. The higher the number the more variation.

LWM has good information on that subject

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
12 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I'm not a math guru but I believe the smaller the number the closer to the mean. The higher the number the more variation.

If that's the case, then Yamato has piss poor accuracy, not the great sniping capability others claim, with a sigma value of 2.1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,849 posts
17,429 battles
18 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

If that's the case, then Yamato has piss poor accuracy, not the great sniping capability others claim, with a sigma value of 2.1

Yamaha's accuracy is better than the Musashi's

[TNG-3]
Members
26 posts
2,696 battles

2.1 is best sigma for a BB in game (Yamato).  Stalingrad has a sigma of 2.6.  The German line was recently buffed by being given the USN BB dispersion model.  Montana was recently buffed by being given the Iowa sized heal (that was a buff from about a year ago).  Honestly, Montana is very strong with this recent buff.  It's not best in class, but Montana (especially with the legendary module) is very strong.

[CDOH]
Members
646 posts
7,660 battles

Monty is very good at taking map position. Unlike others in this chat, i think  Monty is a good brawler especially with the new buff to turret traverse coupled with legendary mod. Fires don't stick around long.   With that said the ifhe nerf coming, proliferation of super cruisers, and 457 calibre bbs  make her 406 guns feel obsolete.  She needs some kind of buff.  I would like to see her AA buffed or reload decreased. 

Members
1,674 posts
13,382 battles
4 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Monty is not a brawler. It's like the anti brawler. It's sweet spot is at range artillery duels with the 12 X 16" high velocity heavy AP. She's got good sigma and can punish broadside BB's, brutalize camping CA/CL's, and snipe capping DD's if they aren't careful. Good AA. 

She's more of a Marquess of Queensberry Rules boxer, not a MMA brawler.

This is good summary.

I love my Monatana and do very well.

• Do not sit 18 km away and think you going do something
  • Do not sit 6 km away and think to survivie.

Monatana do VERY GREAT 10-15 km area, can blap  everything , just have good angle, use front 2 gun and if anything make even small mistake of showing a little hint of side, you bop them in the nose

If you can get into sweet spot of maybe 13km to avoid secondary from ship like Alsace and such. Then you are baddest ship on the map.

Edit:  Monatana do one thing VERY VERY well from range. Dev Strike Smolensks :fish_boom:

Edited by LadyAnesjka
  • Funny 1

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,805 battles

Honestly I'd like to see the Monty get a small(ish) rudder shift buff. Her and the Yamato have ~22s rudder shift times, which has been well and truly powercrept by basically every other BB line since release. 

Not a big buff, but just one to make her a bit more relevant these days. 

[CLRN]
Members
598 posts
122 battles
13 hours ago, cronics said:

It seems like the Montana is a little lacking compared to all the new battleships that has came out or so it seems to me. Due to the power creep she seems to have fallen behind. I do not know how big of a buff she needs if she needs any and what kind of buff would be best suited for her.  I feel like she needs a little bit of help. 

There are multiple different blueprints of Montana with different armor thickness. Maybe it's something worth looking into?

Montana is already a strong ship. There is no need to buff her. 

[LZ1]
Members
297 posts
6,369 battles
11 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Higher number is better. Jean Bart has 1.9 sigma (good), Alsace has 1.6 sigma (BAD). For BBs I consider 1.8 usable. Anything less and its bad, anything more and its great to outstanding. 0.1 increment in change makes a big difference. 1.9 feels about twice as good as 1.8. 2.0 is amazing. 1.7 feels pretty trollish. 1.6 is just unusable.

[NUWES]
Members
3,292 posts
11,864 battles
13 hours ago, cronics said:

Montana is a good ship. There's nothing wrong with her. The issue is Ohio is basically the same ship but better in most ways that matter other than the heal buff that Monty received and raw DPS. Monty has been affected a lot by the T10 BB gun creep. It's going to be affected again when the cruisers all get their armor boost. The issue with Monty and Ohio a bit like Moskva vs. Stalingrad. Mosvka is a good ship, but Stalingrad is better in mostly the same role.  

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles

Have to be careful with Monty against HE spammers. Good lord that thing soak HE damage.

Sign in to follow this