You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Pura__Vida

Why Irrevocable ranks are needed as well as saving a star.

18 comments in this topic

Members
6,900 posts
21,408 battles

Both are needed, without each ranked play would die. The irrevocable ranks trap players so they can't drift back to rank 23. It forces players to hold fast and advance. By creating a +7/-6 environment combined with an irrevocable level it constantly forces new blood into lower ranks (or higher depending on how you view it).

An example I recently used was.... imagine the best 100 players in the game playing ranked....(no, not drop syncing, no, not talking to their buddies in discord, feeding xp to each other.....Actually playing fairly) I digress...

Imagine the top 100 players, for the most part, they are all equal. If they played rank alone, no one would rank out. The skill difference is so minute they would all quit after 500 games as they would basically all be 50%. they would never advance.

Which is why we have the save a star mode, it forces progression and new blood. Take for example the 6-10 bracket. Many players are here now and the good ones have already blown through this bracket. What makes it successful from a low wait/high population standpoint is that so many players have reached rank 12 and can't fail back out past that point that through blind luck and attrition they filter down and fill the 6-10 with fresh meat and new blood.

The game becomes similar to a Cement Mixer churning out players to the better rank or ranking out.....because new cement is forced in from on high.

The argument should be..... who and how the star or stars should be saved, not if they should, because without, ranked would die.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,164 posts
7,766 battles
3 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Both are needed, without each ranked play would die. The irrevocable ranks trap players so they can't drift back to rank 23. It forces players to hold fast and advance. By creating a +7/-6 environment combined with an irrevocable level it constantly forces new blood into lower ranks (or higher depending on how you view it).

An example I recently used was.... imagine the best 100 players in the game playing ranked....(no, not drop syncing, no, not talking to their buddies in discord, feeding xp to each other.....Actually playing fairly) I digress...

Imagine the top 100 players, for the most part, they are all equal. If they played rank alone, no one would rank out. The skill difference is so minute they would all quit after 500 games as they would basically all be 50%. they would never advance.

Which is why we have the save a star mode, it forces progression and new blood. Take for example the 6-10 bracket. Many players are here now and the good ones have already blown through this bracket. What makes it successful from a low wait/high population standpoint is that so many players have reached rank 12 and can't fail back out past that point that through blind luck and attrition they filter down and fill the 6-10 with fresh meat and new blood.

The game becomes similar to a Cement Mixer churning out players to the better rank or ranking out.....because new cement is forced in from on high.

The argument should be..... who and how the star or stars should be saved, not if they should, because without, ranked would die.

I think your preaching with the choir. I don;t ever remember anyone complaining about them.

• Funny 1

Members
6,900 posts
21,408 battles
5 minutes ago, misanthrope0 said:

I think your preaching with the choir. I don;t ever remember anyone complaining about them.

I have chimed in on about 5 threads in the last hour complaining about ranked scoring, thought I would throw that out there for the masses that don't grasp how the system works.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,849 posts
17,429 battles
Just now, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

When you wish upon a 🌟....    

Makes no difference what rank you are...

(someone help me finish the chorus)

• Funny 1

[P2W]
Members
426 posts
12,975 battles
Just now, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Sorry, all I hear are Crickets. Jiminy, it's quiet in here.

[O7]
Members
1,032 posts
5,166 battles
20 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Imagine the top 100 players, for the most part, they are all equal.

This is off topic but the top 100 players are anything but equal.

I would name around 25-27 players on NA that are of the "top" level. Most of them are from BRONY and O7.

From there the remaining 75 ish players in the top 100 are just your typical super unicums or high level unicums. They are still extremely skilled players but are a sizable step below from the top 25.

• Boring 4

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles
3 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

You can rank out with lots of time

And patience too

• Funny 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,105 posts
11,809 battles
2 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

And patience too

But it doesn't really matter 

Because some one will chat screw you .

• Funny 1

Members
6,900 posts
21,408 battles
9 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

And patience too

Impossible without the current system.

Members
6,900 posts
21,408 battles
13 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

I would name around 25-27 players on NA that are of the "top" level. Most of them are from BRONY and O7.

From there the remaining 75 ish players in the top 100 are just your typical super unicums or high level unicums. They are still extremely skilled players but are a sizable step below from the top 25.

There are times where I think you are a genius and times I wonder how you dress yourself.

Those top 27 players would be spilt 50% as well as the remaiming 75%

All you ever do is brag about yourself. the thread is about how ranked works and works efficiently.

Edited by Waxing_Gibbous
  • Cool 4

Members
3,664 posts
42,396 battles
12 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Tier 10 is just a fantasy.

When victory is a faded memory.

Then you dream, and you rank just to 2.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,849 posts
17,429 battles

Thank you to this thread for letting me channel my warped sense of humour, my cohorts who helped finish the song, and for the fun police for turning a blind eye and not rocket attacking the humor.

I'm glad we got irrevocable ranks and save a stars. Really saved my bacon this season. Had a horrible out of the box start. 

iu (49).gif

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,683 posts
12,245 battles
54 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Ok.....

[V1-PI]
Members
428 posts
9,956 battles

Ok I see you are not defending it so much as saying we are talking about the wrong thing. 

I love the song bits , thanks for that.

So what should we be talking about then? The current save a star and how XP is figured isn't a good thing. It forces the play to save a star and not win that is the problem most post about. I don't go to my boss with problems if I don't have ideas on how to. Fix them so let's look at some that don't break your rules. Here are some of mine - the avg WR seems to be 46-48% not 50%. Ranked isn't about skill it is about how much you grind and can put up with ranked play. To show skill you would have to 1v1 beat players in the same ship as yourself, then do it in all classes. All my ideas take this into account

1. Every star is saved. More will rank out. I don't see that is a bad thing. More people will be getting steel ships and again I don't see a problem with that. It will still be a long grind for 46% players many will give up before ranking out.

2 all ranks are kept. You can only lose a star in the rank you are in. There is no save a star. You must win to advance. Much like above but you can get stuck longer.

3 change the way XP is counted because the way it is weighted certain ship classes are easier to save a star in. Some ships are better this way as well. 

Ok have fun all.

[AAA]
Members
447 posts
16,331 battles

Save a star bites.

Why?

Because it essentially creates a system whereby people are not only playing against the enemy but also playing against their teammates.

It also bites because it is totally skewed towards the capital ships/silly make believe ships saving their star.

Lowly DDs have to play their sterns off in order to save a star or just have a plain horrible team.

Why make one player happy with a loss? All seven should lose their star. Less selfish play that way.

My two worthless cents.

Members
6,900 posts
21,408 battles
1 hour ago, Lt_Newcastle said:

Save a star bites.

Why?

Because it essentially creates a system whereby people are not only playing against the enemy but also playing against their teammates.

It also bites because it is totally skewed towards the capital ships/silly make believe ships saving their star.

Lowly DDs have to play their sterns off in order to save a star or just have a plain horrible team.

Why make one player happy with a loss? All seven should lose their star. Less selfish play that way.

My two worthless cents.

No one will argue the how and who saves a star but that isn't the point.

There needs to a mechanism to push players forward, other wise all ranks would stagnate, dry out and fail.

The best the WG ever did was devise the ranked scoring system and I am not kidding.

[-HEL-]
Members
457 posts
3 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Completely agree

Mejash showed us the stats

Every season, less and less people

If we had irrevocable until 12 or 10, many more would play

regards

Jm